What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LIONS Off-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

teamramrod

Footballguy
Here we go. Lots of thinkgs have happened so far, but we can hope for more.

I figured a nice central thread would be good. We can at least do this together.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I am also curious, as one who drinks the Honalulu Blue Kool-Aid every year....

1. Coaching: Better or Not?

2. QB: Where we want to be?

3. Can we really sign another receiver this year?

Lets do it.

i think we have the best coaching staff since joe schmidt of 1970 . and i think coach is the most under-rated position in football . i think the lions win the division this year .

:bag:

I am cheering for you guys this year, but mainly because of Marinelli. If I can give you any advice what to expect I would say immediate defensive production. He will have your D line playing to thier full capacity by the first week. Your total sacks should significantly increase, and elite pass rushers should develop in no time.

Good luck :thumbup:

The only issue I have is Millen will get some of the credit if the team turns around :wall:

I'm another Lions fan :bag: who hopes year after year that this franchise will finally get it right.

As far as the questions posed:

1) I really like the hiring of all three coaches, I think the players will finally play up to there potential (or at least closer to it that we've seen in the past)

2) Unfortunately, I don't like the QB situation at all. When you have two starting QBs you have ZERO starting QBs.

3) Unless the great Corey Bradford doesn't count the Lions have already bolstered WR corps with another signing.

I'm just curious what the Lions are going to do about the O-Line, IMO it needs some serious upgrading. Whomever is behind center will get murdered with the 5 to 7 step drops in Martz's system. The last set of QBs didn't even have time to set-up with 3 step drops. With that said, I hope they draft Winston Justice and immediately plug him in at RT.

I figured a nice central thread would be good. We can at least do this together.

Lets do it.
1.) - Could it be any worse?2.) - No, but not any worse off.

3.) - Bank on it.

--For this particular team, yes.

--Maybe. At least it looks more stable

--Yes. No doubt.

I'm here in spirit. All my best friends are Lions fans so I follow them as much as I have to. I hope they can turn it around for teh city more than anything else.

Now a Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons info thread...now we're talkin'! :bag: :pickle: :pickle:

--Maybe. At least it looks more stable

--Yes. No doubt.

I'm here in spirit. All my best friends are Lions fans so I follow them as much as I have to. I hope they can turn it around for teh city more than anything else.

Now a Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons info thread...now we're talkin'! :bag: :pickle: :pickle:
Havent they already added Bradford?

--Maybe.  At least it looks more stable

--Yes.  No doubt. 

I'm here in spirit.  All my best friends are Lions fans so I follow them as much as I have to.  I hope they can turn it around for teh city more than anything else. 

Now a Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons info thread...now we're talkin'!  :bag: :pickle: :pickle:
Havent they already added Bradford?
What's your point?

Just finished reading a cluster of online articles over at the Free Press website. Nearly all of them are obsessed with Harrington, the one piece of the puzzle we know will be missing come September. I understand this is still news until Joey is released and finds a new home, but I'd like to see the local media focused on the road ahead instead of gazing into the rear-view mirror.

1) Coaching: Better or Not?

:yes: This team needs some tough love. Marinelli (and hopefully Martz) can deliver.

2) QB: Where we want to be?

:no: I'm not saying we can't get there by game time, but right now we've got two career backups vying for one starting position. Personally, I like McCown's upside under Martz and I trust Kitna to come into a game when needed and not #### everything up. There's a lot of work ahead for everyone if this thing is going to work.

3) Can we really sign another receiver this year?

:yes: If we're going to do that, I'd like to see the Lions pursue Eric Moulds rather than invest another draft pick in the receiving corps. Rogers will continue to disappoint ( :wall: ), IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know. From what I know about the coaches it seems like they will make this a more disciplined team than the last couple of years. I really hope Martz will be able to do something with this offense. If it doesn't come together under him, the players are NOT as talented as we have thought.

Not quite...I have always said that we just need someone who can "manage" the offense and not turn the ball over (ala Dilfer). I think Kitna can do that. Is that exciting? NO, but winning doesn't always have to be exciting. The Jury is still out for me on McNown. But if anyone can develop QB's, it is Martz. Overall, I think the situation will be better than last year (unfortunately I really had high hopes for our QB's last year, and of course this conversation is worthless unless the Lions address their offensive line).

Of corse you can sign one but I would be ticked if we signed one for Big $. There are bigger needs that need to be addressed. The current WR's on the roster are...

11 Williams, Roy WR 6-2 212 24 3 Texas

18 Drummond, Eddie WR 5-9 190 25 5 Penn State

84 Martinez, Glenn WR 6-2 183 24 1 Saginaw Valley State

17 Bradford, Corey WR 6-1 201 30 9 Jackson State

88 Williams, Mike WR 6-4 229 22 2 Southern California

10 Vines, Scottie WR 6-1 204 26 3 Wyoming

86 Hamilton, Paris WR 6-1 195 24 1 Minnesota

80 Rogers, Charles WR 6-3 220 24 4 Michigan State

It does look like they could use some veteran leadership. I'm hoping this coaching staff can teach them to hold on to the ball. It seems like there is a lot of talent there.

Overall I'm very skeptical about the Lions this year. I am glad they are moving in a different direction but I'm not getting my hopes up this season. I'm pridicting 3rd place in the NFC North behind Chicago and Minnesota.

go lion :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

1. Coaching is better, certainly. Is it good enough? That I don't know.

2. I think we enter 2006 in about as good of shape as we could have reasonably hoped for. Kitna's no stud, but when you look at how bad our QB history is, someone competent represents a huge improvement. I expect him to hold the job for 2 years at most before McCown or a Martz pet project takes over.

3. Could Rogers still be cut? I know his contract is not very cap-friendly. In that case I could see us grabbing another veteran. But right now I see the season-opening cast as Roy, Rogers, BMW, Bradford and Vines, with Drummond at KR. Anyone else we bring in is likely just camp fodder.

2. I think we enter 2006 in about as good of shape as we could have reasonably hoped for. Kitna's no stud, but when you look at how bad our QB history is, someone competent represents a huge improvement. I expect him to hold the job for 2 years at most before McCown or a Martz pet project takes over.

3. Could Rogers still be cut? I know his contract is not very cap-friendly. In that case I could see us grabbing another veteran. But right now I see the season-opening cast as Roy, Rogers, BMW, Bradford and Vines, with Drummond at KR. Anyone else we bring in is likely just camp fodder.
I read somewhere (sorry no link) that Rogers only counts 800k against this years cap. At that expense I doubt they cut him.

I read somewhere (sorry no link) that Rogers only counts 800k against this years cap. At that expense I doubt they cut him.
I heard he came into conditioning camp and is still as lazy as ever. With Marinelli being a disiplinarian (spl) and Rogers being lazy, I don't know if this love affair will work. I wish he'd show the abilities he did when he used to eat up the Michigan Wolverine defense.

I heard he came into conditioning camp and is still as lazy as ever. With Marinelli being a disiplinarian (spl) and Rogers being lazy, I don't know if this love affair will work. I wish he'd show the abilities he did when he used to eat up the Michigan Wolverine defense.
I wonder how many meetings Mike Williams is going to be late for this year? I'd say one. Rogers biggest problem is that he is too close to home and he has some bad influences there (I know his uncle). Mateen Cleaves had the same problem and said leaving Detroit was the best thing that could have ever happened to him. I guess stitting on the bench in Seattle or wherever is less dangerous than sitting on the pine in Detroit.

Nice comments all. I see I am not the only one who loves pain and enjoys the Lions.

Number 3. PURE FREAKING SARCASM.....If we took a flyer at some of the FA O-line folks out there, I believe that those signings would improve our offense more than anything else. I understand the need for a vet in WR (Bradford) but no more ball catchers Millen. PLEASE!!!!

Also, I am not seeing us behind Chicago this year. We play the packers twice, Chicago will be playing a First-Place schedule and we will not. As far as Minnesota, I am not a beliveir in Brad Johnsons continued success. The wheels will be coming off that rickety bus soon enough.

Lions | Contract update: R. Tucker

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:37:48 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports OL Rex Tucker signed a three-year contract with the Detroit Lions that pays him base salaries of $710,000 in 2006, $750,000 in 2007 and $1.09 million in 2008.

Lions | Contract update: A. Harris

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:35:52 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports RB Arlen Harris signed a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions that pays him a base salary of $500,000 in 2006.

From the Det. Free Press...

The Lions announced the signings of three players Wednesday: defensive end Jared DeVries for five years, linebacker Paris Lenon for three and linebacker LeVar Woods for one.

They did not announce the signing of offensive lineman Barry Stokes, but Stokes has signed a three-year deal, his agent, Dr. D.S. Ping, said.

Lenon and Stokes are new additions. Lenon played the past four years for Green Bay. Stokes, an Eastern Michigan product, has played for six teams in eight years. He spent last year in Atlanta.

DeVries has spent his entire seven-year career with the Lions. Woods joined them late last season after four years in Arizona.

The Lions are reportedly interested in offensive lineman Larry Allen, whom Dallas released Tuesday. Allen's agent, Marvin Demoff, did not return messages seeking comment.

*Harrington update*

Kansas City president Carl Peterson said he chatted with Lions president Matt Millen about quarterback Joey Harrington last week and again Monday, the Wichita Eagle reported.

Arizona has expressed interest in Harrington and free agent Kerry Collins publicly. Harrington is expected to be traded or released before June 15, when he is due a $4-million roster bonus.

"We have considered both of those, but we're going to weigh that against draft considerations as well and see where we come out," Rod Graves, the Cardinals' vice president for player personnel, told the Associated Press. "There's certainly no opposition to looking at Joey Harrington."

Nice comments all. I see I am not the only one who loves pain and enjoys the Lions.

Number 3. PURE FREAKING SARCASM.....If we took a flyer at some of the FA O-line folks out there, I believe that those signings would improve our offense more than anything else. I understand the need for a vet in WR (Bradford) but no more ball catchers Millen. PLEASE!!!!

Also, I am not seeing us behind Chicago this year. We play the packers twice, Chicago will be playing a First-Place schedule and we will not. As far as Minnesota, I am not a beliveir in Brad Johnsons continued success. The wheels will be coming off that rickety bus soon enough.
There you go! Not sure how much this helps, but it looks like they are going the cheap route to see what the new coaches can do with what they have and some minor free agent pickups.Lions Sign UFA G Barry Stokes and FA T Courtney VanBuren

March 23, 2006

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent G Barry Stokes to a three-year deal and free agent T Courtney VanBuren to a one-year deal. Additional contract terms were not disclosed.

Stokes (6-4, 310) comes to Detroit, where his pro career began, for his ninth NFL season. He was originally signed by the Lions as an undrafted rookie free agent April 26, 1996. He has been with a number of teams since being waived by the Lions during his rookie training camp (August 14) including: St. Louis, Miami, Green Bay, Oakland, Cleveland and Atlanta.

After spending his first two seasons on the practice squads for Jacksonville (1996), St. Louis (1997) and Miami (1997), Stokes spent the second half of the 1998 season on the Dolphins’ active roster where he was coached by current Lions offensive line coach Larry Beightol. He saw action in three games. Stokes then played two seasons (1998-99) for the Scottish Claymores and started all 20 games at left tackle.

In 1999, Stokes was with Miami during the preseason and reunited with Coach Beightol in Green Bay after his release. He was on and off of the Packers active roster that season but played in eight games for Green Bay in 2000. Stokes became a regular in his final season with the Packers in 2001, playing in all 16 games with three starts

Stokes joined the Browns and started all 16 games for Cleveland in 2002. He was their only offensive starter to play every snap through the regular season and postseason. During the 2003 season, Stokes started 13 of 14 games at left tackle. He signed with the New York Giants prior to the 2004 season but missed the entire season with a back injury. In 2005, he played 16 games for the Atlanta Falcons with his lone start coming in the Thanksgiving Day Classing at Detroit (11/25).

A native of Michigan, Stokes was born in Flint and lettered in football, basketball and track at Davison High School. He earned first-team all-state honors at tight end and defensive end before enrolling at Eastern Michigan University. Stokes was a four-year starter for the Eagles (1992-95) and earned All-Mid-American Conference honors as a senior.

Van Buren (6-6, 350) joins the Lions after three seasons with the San Diego Chargers who drafted him in the third round (80th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. He missed the 2005 season with a knee injury.

Midway through Van Buren’s rookie season (2003), he became the starting right tackle, starting seven games before a knee injury landed him on the reserve/injured list December 17. He was slated as a starter for the Chargers heading into 2004 training camp but suffered another knee injury that led to him being placed on the reserve/injured list September 20 after seeing minimal action in the season opener.

As a collegian at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Van Buren was a second-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference as a senior (2002) and honorable mention as a junior (2001). He was born in St. Louis and was an all-city, all-conference and all-metro selection at Ladue Horton Watkins High School.

Thanks for the thread.

I for one am not so worried about the free-agent signings/draft picks/trades/etc.

I might be alone on this, but I was actually of the opinion our team last year was perfectly capable of winning the division aside from one thing - ATTITUDE. The wrong attitude on the field, in practice, in the media.

Getting the team to go forward with a professional and disclipined approach to everything = key to success.

I will happy with this as the first step.

From the Det. Free Press...

The Lions announced the signings of three players Wednesday: defensive end Jared DeVries for five years, linebacker Paris Lenon for three and linebacker LeVar Woods for one.
Good to see Jared back and another ex-Hawk LeVar Woods get picked up.

I might be alone on this, but I was actually of the opinion our team last year was perfectly capable of winning the division aside from one thing - ATTITUDE. The wrong attitude on the field, in practice, in the media.
I agree.

Lets do it.
1) Better? Way too early to tell. They haven't even coached one game together yet. I was a Mariucci fan, and think he got the shaft. But I do like the moves they've made, coaching-wise. I'm HOPING it's better...2) I'm glad we've moved on in the whole Harrington saga. I like the signing of Kitna and McCown. Not sure it's the solution forever, but hey, I think it's better than Harrington/Garcia from last year at least...

3) Can we PLEASE just work with the ones we have now? WR is the last position we need to address. We have a LOT of young talent, and just need them to be coached and led in the right direction. They didn't have that last year or before..

1. Coaching: Better or Not? :X :X

2. QB: Where we want to be? :cry: :cry:

3. Can we really sign another receiver this year? :excited: :excited:

Lets do it.

Other signs of Progress...

Marinelli and Martz not taking anything from Joey. Good Bye.

Millen actually horse trading, Lying , Stealing , Showing naked picutres of someone to get tteams to trade for Joey. Chiefs and Cowboys are interested from recent reports.

Still feelign optimistic...I think the OL signings could really help the offense.

See, I told you guys, I drink the Kool-Aid, even in March

Other signs of Progress...

Marinelli and Martz not taking anything from Joey. Good Bye.

Millen actually horse trading, Lying , Stealing , Showing naked picutres of someone to get tteams to trade for Joey. Chiefs and Cowboys are interested from recent reports.

Still feelign optimistic...I think the OL signings could really help the offense.

See, I told you guys, I drink the Kool-Aid, even in March

I thought they released him last week? :confused:

I will say with a ton of confidence that the Lions have a lot better of a coach now than in years past.

The Lions didn't practice in pads past September last season!!! :eek:

With Marinelli the guys will be hitting each other in the mouth durring practice in late December, you can take that to the bank. Will that translate into wins on Sundays? One can only hope!

With the NFC North as wide open as it seems to be this year I wouldn't count the Lions out.

:popcorn:

A new coaching staff with entirely new schemes, a few new QBs ready for a QB controversy, and every recent 1st round pick is underachieving and/or a headcase. What's not to love about this team?!? :thumbup:

I've had a drink of the kool-aid too many offseasons in a row now. I'm in "show me something" mode heading into this season. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Millen calls Joey a ###### while sending him out of town. Class act there.

I agree.
The problem with this is the Lions have had that loser mentality for 40 years. How do you change that?I hope Marinelli can do that. It seems like he won't accept it. Let's hope it works.

:hijacked:

Hey lion fans, what is your honest opinion of Kevin Jones. Was it poor coaching or is he too injury prone? When this guy has received the rock consistently he was a beast. But it seems either the team and coaching stunk or he got hurt.

The team may be marginally better but will have better coaching, where do you see him in a redraft league?

If he were in KC he would be Larry Johnson IF he could stay healthy

:hijacked:

Hey lion fans, what is your honest opinion of Kevin Jones. Was it poor coaching or is he too injury prone? When this guy has received the rock consistently he was a beast. But it seems either the team and coaching stunk or he got hurt.

The team may be marginally better but will have better coaching, where do you see him in a redraft league?

If he were in KC he would be Larry Johnson IF he could stay healthy
IMO - Poor OL, poor coaching, and he is a bit injury prone. He should be solid this year, but definitely no Larry Johnson.

1. Slightly better, but the previous staff was fine.2. Definitely. Good Veteran, Solid young guy to develop, solid veteran backup, one bum that needs to be traded.

3. A veteran receiver would be solid. I'd like to see them sign Jerry Rice :D . He'd probably come out of retirement to play some more football ;) .

The Lions will still be drafting in the top 12 next year, but this has the looks of an actual turnaround in a few seasons, whereas before you could smell the failure.

I'm a Lion Hater and a Lion Doubter, but I believe you will see a Championship-Caliber team by 2008.

The consensus pick at #9 seems to be Huff, but I REALLY hope Justice is available and we take that direction instead.

The Lions will still be drafting in the top 12 next year, but this has the looks of an actual turnaround in a few seasons, whereas before you could smell the failure.
Maybe this is just homerism, but I think you underestimate how close the Lions are to turning things around.The Lions began last season 3-4. Among those 4 losses were a game with Tampa that was decided on a controversial call, a one-point loss to Carolina, and an overtime loss to Chicago with the team's two best players, Shaun Rogers and Dre Bly, sidelined with injuries.

Detroit was handling the weaker teams and going toe-to-toe with the NFC's best. The offense may have been bad, but the defense was excellent.

After the 2nd Chicago loss came more injuries, QB controversy, Bly's shot at Joey, the firing of Mooch, the fan protests against Millen - pretty much a full-fledged implosion at every level.

That late-season disaster and subsequent media ridicule may have led fans around the league to believe that Detroit was just a god-awful football team. I don't think that was case. On paper, I think they had a .500 squad or better. They just lacked direction and discipline.

The two biggest on-field weaknesses were QB and O-line. One has been upgraded significantly. The other I'm not sure about, but we'll see.

If the coaching staff can instill some discipline and get the first-round skill position talent to produce, Detroit could easily be a playoff team this season. I'm not getting my hopes up, because the Lions always mess things up. But if the mentality of the organization can change, the talent is there to do some immediate damage.

The consensus pick at #9 seems to be Huff, but I REALLY hope Justice is available and we take that direction instead.
I'm another that wants Winston Justice. Of course he'll probably go #8 to Buffalo now, just like S. Alexander and S. Hutchinson both went one pick ahead of Detroit.Oh what could've been......

Anyone besides me want Vince Young? (Since Williams & D'B will be gone)
I don't see them going after a QB after signing Kitna & McNown. They also have Dan Orlovsky & Shaun King on the roster, one will be gone.

Besides, they'd probably try to convert Young to a WR. ;)

Anyone besides me want Vince Young? (Since Williams & D'B will be gone)
Young trying to run Martz's structured timing offense? :yucky:

Young's a great player, but thats not the place for him to go.

I'm another that wants Winston Justice. Of course he'll probably go #8 to Buffalo now, just like S. Alexander and S. Hutchinson both went one pick ahead of Detroit.Oh what could've been......
I would guess that Justice jumps ahead of Ngata on the Bills board. At least I hope so.

Nope.

Take Justice.
Hell ya, Take Justice. Do any of the Lions Fans in here remeber Jerry Ball HURDLING a player when he was returning a Fumble? A big man who can jump 39" from a standing stop....OMG. :excited: So what good does that vertical do an OL? Can you imagine that push in his legs? he could push the DL into the LB and take out two for one. KJ woudl be able to run wild behind that... :excited:

Oh please football gods, you have forsaken us for so long, grant us this petition. Let him be there when we draft and grant Millen the wisdom to take him instead of a WR. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread