What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

List your favorite and least favorite Super Bowl moments (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
My memory of watching Super Bowls goes back till about the mid 80s, so I really cannot list anything from before then.

Favorite moments:

-John Mobley breaking up Brett Favre's 4th down pass, sealing Super Bowl XXXII for the Broncos.

-John Elway's famous helicopter run in the 3rd quarter of Super Bowl XXXII

-Ed McCaffrey destroying a Green Bay defender with a block as Howard Griffith was taking a screen pass for a big gain on the Broncos game-winning drive in Super Bowl XXXII

-Rod Smith's 80-yard TD reception in Super Bowl XXXIII

-Mike Jones tackling Kevin Dyson at the 1-yard line at the end of Super Bowl XXXIV

-Stan Humphries final pass falling incomplete in the end zone of Super Bowl XXIX, sealing the 49ers 23-point win (that was back in my big betting days, and I had big bucks on SF minus 18)

-Tom Brady's final pass of Super Bowl XLII falling incomplete, giving the Giants the win and preventing the Patriots from completing a perfect season

Least favorite moments:

-The opening minutes of Super Bowl XXIV, as it became obvious pretty quickly that the Broncos were not going to fair well against the 49ers (the 55-10 game)

-All of the second quarter of Super Bowl XXII

-Adam Vinatieri's game-winning FG at the end of Super Bowl XXXVI

-James Washington returning Thurman Thomas' fumble for a TD in the 3rd quarter of Super Bowl XXVIII (you had to be rooting for the Bills in that 4th Super Bowl, unless you were a Cowboys fan, and when that happened, you knew that was the beginning of the end)

-John Elway's INT in the 3rd quarter of Super Bowl XXXII, ruining the Broncos chance at taking a two-score lead (he would have been the biggest goat ever, had the Broncos eventually lost that game)

Best Memory:

Antwaan Randle El fake reverse, pass to Hines -- TD! :towelwave: Knew the game was over at that point.

Worst:

Neil O'Donnells 2nd INT to Larry Brown :rant:

Non Steeler Related Favs:

Kenny King's 80 Yard Screen catch

Leon Lett getting stripped by Don Beebe

Elway's 'helicopter' run

Giants ruining the Pats Perfect season

Non Stillers worst:

Watching Ray Lewis and the Ravens celebrate

The final pick6 from Gannon to Derrick Brooks with no time left (I had $400 in the SB Squares, and was about to hit with 15 seconds left and the game out of reach) :hot:

As a Giants fan, I have been pretty damn fortunate overall. The one loss to the Ravens was a year we shouldn't have been there anyway. '86 was like destiny and '90 was obviously magical with wide right, but a greatest moment shouldn't be the other team missing a FG.

Obviously, the Tyree catch takes this cake. My greatest moment in sports. Just unreal.

worst moments in SB:

helmet catch, manning to burress

the entire 2001 super bowl

the terrible calls in teh 2005 bowl

when the minnesota kicker missed that field goal in '98 vs. atlanta that caused the entire nation to miss out on a great game. - granted this was the championship game, but it affected the super bowl very negatively

Best moments in super bowl:

when the favored team crushed and left nothing to doubt.

Best:

Derrick Brooks sealing the deal against the Raiders.

Elway the propeller

Prince halftime show (best ever imo)

Worst: Steve Young picking apart the Chargers defense in like three plays to open the game. It was clear it wasn't going to be a contest for the ages.

favorites

Willie Parker's run to start the 2nd half

The Fridge running it in

Denver winning over Packers and ending the NFC streak of winning the super bowl

Tom Brady failing to complete the long Ball to Moss, ensuring the Giant victory

Steve Youngs 6 td passes

worst

Larry Brown's two picks

Pats entering the stadium as a team and then winning which ensured one of the highlights of the Super Bowl would be lost forever

Watching the Pats mug the Rams recivers but never seeing a flag thrown

Thurman Thomas loses his helmet

Steve McNair's scramble on the final drive of the game when he keeps his balance with the odds against him and delivers a throw that gets them into the red zone. That was a fave, so I think you can all guess which play was the worst for me.

Best:

Steelers win SB XIII on my ninth birthday. I had a Terrible Towel as my birthday cake.

For a specific moment in that game, I'll go with Swann's leaping grab near the goalpost that gave the Steelers a 35-17 lead.

Worst:

Larry Brown's 2nd interception. I was already physically ill with a stomach flu, but that soon became much, much worse.

Honorable mention best: Giants sack Brady in the last minute of SB XLII

Ottis Anderson rumbling through the Bills throughout SB XXV

Even though it's by a Raider, Marcus Allen's long TD run in SB XVIII

Riggins long TD run in SB XVII

Honorable mention worst: Ravens in SB XXXV -- take your pick

Just seeing San Diego on the field in SB XXIX

Tim Krumrie injury in SB XXIII

Image of Walter Payton on sideline after not getting a TD in SB XX -- it may seem a strange entry, but it's a vivid memory

My favorite Superbowl moment was all of Black Sunday and Marcus Allen's infamous run. That is followed closely by watching the Giants beat the Patriots.

My least favorite may very well happen in two weeks if the Cardinals don't win. As of right now, my least favorite moment in the Superbowl would have to be watching the Broncos win their first Superbowl.

I knew Oakland was going to lose to Tampa Bay, so I wasn't too disappointed over that. I was already wanting Callahan to get fired at that point.

I haven't been really burned over the Superbowl yet. My worst playoff moment is without a doubt the tuck rule game. Oakland has had some terrible luck in the playoffs (immaculate deception, Broncos game in '77, Shannon Sharpe's 90 yard TD run as a Raven), but I am still stinging from the tuck rule. I don't know that I'll ever get over that. That was a fumble and I'll go to my grave convinced of it.

WIDE ####### RIGHT

The pass to Burress. I jumped so high when they pulled the camera back and showed he was wide open that I almost hit my head on the ceiling. So did almost everyone else at my SB party. What a glorious moment.

Best:

Derrick Brooks sealing the deal against the Raiders.

Elway the propeller

Prince halftime show (best ever imo)

Worst: Steve Young picking apart the Chargers defense in like three plays to open the game. It was clear it wasn't going to be a contest for the ages.
I was coming in here to post that as my favourite moment. What an exclamation point to such an awesome season!

Also, Mike Alstott's 2-yard run that won me a pretty penny for first touchdown vs the Raiders.

Best:

Super Bowl X - Lambert throwing Cliff Harris down on the ground when Harris patted PK Roy Gerela's head after he missed the FG.

Worst:

Super Bowl XXX: Neil O'Donnell's two ridiculous interceptions to Larry Brown who was doing a better job covering the grass on the field than he was the Steelers WRs.

WIDE ####### RIGHTThe pass to Burress. I jumped so high when they pulled the camera back and showed he was wide open that I almost hit my head on the ceiling. So did almost everyone else at my SB party. What a glorious moment.
:goodposting: :thumbup: I did the same thing..! I think I screamed louder and jumped higher with the sack(s) on Brady a few plays later, with seconds left in the game!!! My favorite moments include: Phil Simms setting Super Bowl records for completion percentage , QB rating, consecutive completions..the '86 Giants were a team for the ages..one of the NFL's All-Time greatest teams! :lmao: Watching the Diesel blow through Miami's defense , rushing for 166 yards and securing SB MVP honors!Watching Doug Williams blow out Denver..Watching Elway and the Amigos lose 3 SB's in BLOWOUT fashion!Andre Reed's meltdown helmet toss, and the ensuing penalty, was comical..Montana to Taylor with :34 left.Cincy not being able to find Stanley Wilson..partying and getting high the night before the SB ?! :bag:Least Favorite:the Bears SB victory..dislike everything about that SB..the silly songs, the McMahon headbands, the Fridge..Niners smoking San Diego. Buffalo V. Dallas I and IIO'Donnell's SB, the one he gift-wrapped for Dallas..Pitt in SB XL - probably the worst SB I've ever watched watching Marino get killed by the Niners...Parcell's Patriots losing to GB simply because they continued to kick the ball the Desmond Howard..and one late unsportsmanlike penalty killed their chances that day.. Ravens pounding the Giants

Dentist said:
the terrible calls in teh 2005 bowl
Since the Steelers were the favorite, doesn't this go against your fundamental theorum that the best team should always win?

Dentist said:
worst moments in SB:helmet catch, manning to burress
Manning to Tyree.......And also.. my best memory of the super bowl was back when i was around 10-11 when I believe the Titans completed a pass and lost because they only got to the one yard line. great finish

WIDE ####### RIGHT

The pass to Burress. I jumped so high when they pulled the camera back and showed he was wide open that I almost hit my head on the ceiling. So did almost everyone else at my SB party. What a glorious moment.
:goodposting: :goodposting: I did the same thing..! I think I screamed louder and jumped higher with the sack(s) on Brady a few plays later, with seconds left in the game!!!

My favorite moments include:

Phil Simms setting Super Bowl records for completion percentage , QB rating, consecutive completions..the '86 Giants were a team for the ages..one of the NFL's All-Time greatest teams! :thumbup:

Watching the Diesel blow through Miami's defense , rushing for 166 yards and securing SB MVP honors!

Watching Doug Williams blow out Denver..

Watching Elway and the Amigos lose 3 SB's in BLOWOUT fashion!

Andre Reed's meltdown helmet toss, and the ensuing penalty, was comical..

Montana to Taylor with :34 left.

Cincy not being able to find Stanley Wilson..partying and getting high the night before the SB ?! :eek:

Least Favorite:

the Bears SB victory..dislike everything about that SB..the silly songs, the McMahon headbands, the Fridge..

Niners smoking San Diego.

Buffalo V. Dallas I and II

O'Donnell's SB, the one he gift-wrapped for Dallas..

Pitt in SB XL - probably the worst SB I've ever watched

watching Marino get killed by the Niners...

Parcell's Patriots losing to GB simply because they continued to kick the ball the Desmond Howard..and one late unsportsmanlike penalty killed their chances that day..

Ravens pounding the Giants
I once talked to a player on that team's defense (not a big name) and asked him when they knew they were going to win. He said in the first quarter the Patriots offense already looked like they didn't want to get hit anymore. It was in their eyes. The 3-0 lead didn't even make the defense blink.

Worst moment: watching some 49ers jerk pantomiming pulling the monkey off of Steve Young's back. Complete jagoff move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my team has never sniffed a SB, had to think about this one...

Joe Willie running off the field with his index finger raised after SB III

Bob Griese getting sacked by Bob Lilly for a 29 yard loss in SB VI

Mike Bass intercepting Garo Yepremiums botched pass for the 'skins only TD in SB VII

Lynn Swann's 64 yard TD in SB X

John Riggins scoring on a 43 yarder on the 4th 1 v. the Dolphins in SB XVII

Dan Bunz making a perfect tackle of Charles Alexander on 1 in SB XVI - just an awesome play

Doug Williams blowing out the Broncos in SBXXII after being down 10-0 after the first

Rams stopping the Titans on the 1 in SB XXXIV

Manning to Tyree XLII

No real painful SB memories because I have never been invested in a team playing, but Jackie Smith dropping a sure TD pass against the Steelers in SB XIII was tough...great TE for close to 15 years with the Cardinals, tough thing to be remembered for

Best moment.

Vinitieri's last second field goal to give NE it's first Super Bowl. victory over the Rams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worst moment.

Tyree's helmet catch paving the way to the Giants Super Bowl victory over the Patriots.

Worst EVER: Bill Leavy giving the stealers the win.
I'm no Steelers fan or Seahawks hater, and I don't think that game was very well officiated, but I'm pretty sure the Steelers were the better team and played a better game that night.

Best - Willie Wood's interception return for a td in SB I.

John Mackey's tipped td reception in SB V.

Worst - An injured Unitas attempting to come off of the bench in SB III.

Matt Hasselbeck's clock management in SB XL.

Most recent...

Best:

Tom Brady's final pass of Super Bowl XLII falling incomplete, giving the Giants the win and preventing the Patriots from completing a perfect season.

Manning to Tyree was cool.

Worst:

Donovan Mcnabb puking while leading his team down the field capping his 3 int chokejob. Ouch!

Worst moment: watching some 49ers jerk pantomiming pulling the monkey off of Steve Young's back. Complete jagoff move.
Not only that, but Young must have screamed sarcastically about 10 times: "Get that monkey off my back!" "Tear that monkey off my back!" etc... As a Montana AND a 49ers fan-even with Young- I thought it was tasteless...

Favorite moments:

The Bears D overwhelming Tony Eason and Co early on - I knew I was going to see the Bears win the Super Bowl.

Marcus Allen's long run against the Redskins

Hester's opening kickoff return

Matt Suhey scoring to make it 13-3 in SB XX.

Burress' touchdown to win last year's game.

Stallworth's catch and run in SB XIII

McCutcheon's halfback pass to Ron Smith in SB XIV

Least Favorite moments:

Grossman's pick 6 that ended all hope against the Colts.

Fridge getting the call at the goal line and Payton not getting it.

Wayne's touchdown where the Bears' safety completely blew the coverage and gave the Colts and easy one.

Wide right - I wasn't rooting for the Bills, but I felt terrible for Norwood.

Ferragamo's pick to Lambert in SB XIV - I thought the Rams were going to take the lead and turn a good game into a great game up until that point.

Favorite moments:

The Bears D overwhelming Tony Eason and Co early on - I knew I was going to see the Bears win the Super Bowl.

Marcus Allen's long run against the Redskins

Hester's opening kickoff return

Matt Suhey scoring to make it 13-3 in SB XX.

Burress' touchdown to win last year's game.

Stallworth's catch and run in SB XIII

McCutcheon's halfback pass to Ron Smith in SB XIV

Least Favorite moments:

Grossman's pick 6 that ended all hope against the Colts.

Fridge getting the call at the goal line and Payton not getting it.

Wayne's touchdown where the Bears' safety completely blew the coverage and gave the Colts and easy one.

Wide right - I wasn't rooting for the Bills, but I felt terrible for Norwood.

Ferragamo's pick to Lambert in SB XIV - I thought the Rams were going to take the lead and turn a good game into a great game up until that point.
I was at that game, and I have the distinction of being the only person on the planet to have seen the Bills "win" a Super Bowl. From my side angle, I thought it was good. I was kind of sick that night so not really following the officials very well, etc. For about two seconds I was like "Wow, the Bills came back and won. They're the champs." Then I saw Giants players celebrating and it dawned on me that he missed it. Like I said, it was maybe two seconds...but for those two seconds the Buffalo Bills were world champions! Who else can say they lived in that world, even for a moment? I'm not a Bills fan, otherwise that would be my favorite SB memory.

My least favorite SB moment was the Rams loss to the Pats in 2001. It was a very long moment. It seemed to sting a little extra every time the camera showed Mike Martz calling a pass play. Marshall was robbed of a ring that he could have personally delivered to the team. That game at least to me at the time had a weird kind of "glitch in the matrix" feel to it. I never wanted to read too much into it but that game just felt funny.

worst moments in SB:helmet catch, manning to burressthe entire 2001 super bowlthe terrible calls in teh 2005 bowlwhen the minnesota kicker missed that field goal in '98 vs. atlanta that caused the entire nation to miss out on a great game. - granted this was the championship game, but it affected the super bowl very negativelyBest moments in super bowl:when the favored team crushed and left nothing to doubt.
ditto

Best:

John Mobley ensuring the Broncos first Super Bowl win

Worst:

Broncos losing 55-10 to the 49ers. I had a guy at work give me the Broncos (+40) for $500. Thought it was a sure thing, no one gets beat by 40+ in the SuperBowl, right?

Not only that, but Young must have screamed sarcastically about 10 times: "Get that monkey off my back!" "Tear that monkey off my back!" etc... As a Montana AND a 49ers fan-even with Young- I thought it was tasteless...
That was Gary Plummer

worst moments in SB:helmet catch, manning to burress
Manning to Tyree.......And also.. my best memory of the super bowl was back when i was around 10-11 when I believe the Titans completed a pass and lost because they only got to the one yard line. great finish
Thanks for making me feel old.Favorite-The entire Colts superbowl vs. the Bears. Also Wide Right because ALL my friends picked the Bills, and I went the other way just to be different. The Helmet catch.Least-Krumrie's injury, and pretty much the rest of that game. I always am a sucker for the underdog, and the Bengals vs. Montana, Rice, Craig, Taylor, and Walsh were definitely an underdog story, even though they weren't the "Bungals" yet. The Bengals have been the laughingstock of the league for so long now that it seems surreal to see the highlights of that game. Younger people are like "wait, they were good once?" :football:

worstPats entering the stadium as a team and then winning which ensured one of the highlights of the Super Bowl would be lost forever
Nonsense. Unless you were a Rams fan, the Pats entering as a team was one of the coolest moments in Super Bowl history - it was what that team was all about. Even though they are so hated now, almost the entire country (except for Rams, Raiders, and Steelers fans) was behind them that day - even most people from New York that I know. It's not their fault that so many other teams have followed suit since.

Most favorite - Tim Dwight's TD return.

Least favorite - Eugene Robinson's night before the game warmup routine.

worst

Pats entering the stadium as a team and then winning which ensured one of the highlights of the Super Bowl would be lost forever
Nonsense. Unless you were a Rams fan, the Pats entering as a team was one of the coolest moments in Super Bowl history - it was what that team was all about. Even though they are so hated now, almost the entire country (except for Rams, Raiders, and Steelers fans) was behind them that day - even most people from New York that I know. It's not their fault that so many other teams have followed suit since.
That a fact?

worst

That a fact?
Yes, it is a fact, or at least it was at the time it happened (everyone else copying them has obviously taken away from it). Although I am sure a great many people would deny that now that most (all?) of the rest of the league now hates the Patriots.

Mike Curtis interception to setup Jim O"Brien's game winning field goal in SB V.

Joe Namath hold up his index finger (#1 sign) while leaving the field after SB III.

worst

That a fact?
Yes, it is a fact, or at least it was at the time it happened (everyone else copying them has obviously taken away from it). Although I am sure a great many people would deny that now that most (all?) of the rest of the league now hates the Patriots.
Sorry, thought it was ### then and now

Some of these were mentioned already but here goes:

Elway helicopter run in Super Bowl v Packers

Tyree catch v NE

Montana to Taylor to beat the Bengals

Thurman Thomas forgetting his helmet v Washington

Marcus Allen's reverse field TD run v. Washington

Beebe stripping Leon Lett

NE final drive and Vinatieri's kick v St. Louis to complete the upset

Kevin Dyson getting tackled on the one yard line

Norwood wide right v the Giants