What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LJ + Norv Turner = #1 RB? (1 Viewer)

Exile

Footballguy
I saw on the Blogger that Norv Turner is a possible candidate for the Chief's OC position. To this I say...let it be so! Turner knows how to handle top-quality RBs and build an offense around them (see Emmitt Smith, Terry Allen, Stephen Davis, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, and Lamont Jordan). He's a mediocre head coach, but a solid (and very fantasy friendly) OC.Come on Herm...pull the trigger! :excited:

IMNSHO, now that Vermeil is gone, LJ is virtually assured the starting/feature role and Priest wil be relegated to a Marshal Faulk like role with the team. Vermeil had faith in Priest. Herm? Maybe not so much. I don't see a split back situation as both backs need to carry the ball 20+ times to be most effective. And, based on his use of Lamont Jordan, it is clear Herm has no problem using a highly talented back in a spot role.Assuming the OL stays intact, LJ should be a top-5 RB next year - competitor for #1 overall back if Priest retires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on the Blogger that Norv Turner is a possible candidate for the Chief's OC position. To this I say...let it be so!

Turner knows how to handle top-quality RBs and build an offense around them (see Emmitt Smith, Terry Allen, Stephen Davis, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, and Lamont Jordan). He's a mediocre head coach, but a solid (and very fantasy friendly) OC.

Come on Herm...pull the trigger! :excited:
I think what you should be praying for is the return of all their OL. If that happens, LJ will probably be the #1 Rb regardless who their OC is.

IMNSHO, now that Vermeil is gone, LJ is virtually assured the starting/feature role and Priest wil be relegated to a Marshal Faulk like role with the team. Vermeil had faith in Priest. Herm? Maybe not so much. I don't see a split back situation as both backs need to carry the ball 20+ times to be most effective.

And, based on his use of Lamont Jordan, it is clear Herm has no problem using a highly talented back in a spot role.

Assuming the OL stays intact, LJ should be a top-5 RB next year - competitor for #1 overall back if Priest retires.
Hmmm. I had a totally different take on Herm going over there. I was thinking, based on the Martin / Lamont situation, that Herm favored giving the rock to old veterans.

IMNSHO, now that Vermeil is gone, LJ is virtually assured the starting/feature role and Priest wil be relegated to a Marshal Faulk like role with the team.  Vermeil had faith in Priest. Herm?  Maybe not so much.  I don't see a split back situation as both backs need to carry the ball 20+ times to be most effective.

And, based on his use of Lamont Jordan, it is clear Herm has no problem using a highly talented back in a spot role.

Assuming the OL stays intact, LJ should be a top-5 RB next year - competitor for #1 overall back if Priest retires.
Hmmm. I had a totally different take on Herm going over there. I was thinking, based on the Martin / Lamont situation, that Herm favored giving the rock to old veterans.
I thought about that, but Herm got the Jets when CMart was a 16-game every year every game player - no matter what.Priest? Not so much. Priest is CLEARKLY heading down the Marshal Faulk 2003 and forward part of hi scareer, and he can't play for 16 games.

You couldn't GET CuMar off the field before this year. Best way to preserve Priest right now? Give him 5-10 carries, 4-6 catches, use him full time if your starter gets injured. Maybe even consider trading him. (gasp)

IMNSHO, now that Vermeil is gone, LJ is virtually assured the starting/feature role and Priest wil be relegated to a Marshal Faulk like role with the team.  Vermeil had faith in Priest. Herm?  Maybe not so much.  I don't see a split back situation as both backs need to carry the ball 20+ times to be most effective.

I thought about that, but Herm got the Jets when CMart was a 16-game every year every game player - no matter what.Priest? Not so much. Priest is CLEARKLY heading down the Marshal Faulk 2003 and forward part of hi scareer, and he can't play for 16 games.

You couldn't GET CuMar off the field before this year. Best way to preserve Priest right now? Give him 5-10 carries, 4-6 catches, use him full time if your starter gets injured. Maybe even consider trading him. (gasp)
I don't disagree that would probably be the best course of action, but I'm not convinced this is what Herm will do. I think its all one big wait and see situation. First, lets see if Priest is even coming back, and second, lets see what Herm says about it if and when that happens.

I am a lot more confident than Levin is on this one. If LJ is the majority shareholder in the Chiefs backfield and plays 16 games, he will set the all-time record for fantasy points scored by a RB. Book it.Here's his 15 games as a primary back over the past 2 years . . .
Code:
| 13  oak  |   118  |    56  |  2 || 14  ten  |   104  |    19  |  2 || 15  den  |   151  |     0  |  2 || 16  oak  |    79  |    43  |  2 || 17  sdg  |    46  |   115  |  2 ||  7  mia  |    93  |    26  |  1 ||  9  oak  |   107  |    48  |  2 || 10  buf  |   132  |    46  |  0 || 11  hou  |   211  |     6  |  2 || 12  nwe  |   119  |    53  |  1 || 13  den  |   140  |     9  |  2 || 14  dal  |   143  |    28  |  3 || 15  nyg  |   167  |    17  |  2 || 16  sdg  |   131  |    48  |  2 || 17  cin  |   201  |    21  |  3 || Total    |  1942  |   535  | 28 |
That's 416 fantasy points. The all-time record is 375. And remember that's for 15 games and STILL sharing some time with other RB, especially in the first year. And I don't think it makes any difference if Turner is the OC or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't disagree that would probably be the best course of action, but I'm not convinced this is what Herm will do. I think its all one big wait and see situation. First, lets see if Priest is even coming back, and second, lets see what Herm says about it if and when that happens.
:thumbup: I agree - I am just speculating that Herm's response will be something ambiguous along th elines of Priest is a great football player, blah blah blah, we are excited for him to return and help us win didly iddly oodly, he will be a major focus of our running game ackity ickity oockity.

(he'll say it exactly like that)

I am a lot more confident than Levin is on this one. If LJ is the majority shareholder in the Chiefs backfield and plays 16 games, he will set the all-time record for fantasy points scored by a RB. Book it.
Larry Johnson owner---> :wub:

:thumbup: I agree - I am just speculating that Herm's response will be something ambiguous along th elines of Priest is a great football player, blah blah blah, we are excited for him to return and help us win didly iddly oodly, he will be a major focus of our running game ackity ickity oockity.

(he'll say it exactly like that)
Honestly, I hope he does plenty of that and LJ's draft stock falls off to the point where I'll actually be able to draft him.

I am a lot more confident than Levin is on this one. If LJ is the majority shareholder in the Chiefs backfield and plays 16 games, he will set the all-time record for fantasy points scored by a RB. Book it.Here's his 15 games as a primary back over the past 2 years . . .

Code:
| 13  oak  |   118  |    56  |  2 || 14  ten  |   104  |    19  |  2 || 15  den  |   151  |     0  |  2 || 16  oak  |    79  |    43  |  2 || 17  sdg  |    46  |   115  |  2 ||  7  mia  |    93  |    26  |  1 ||  9  oak  |   107  |    48  |  2 || 10  buf  |   132  |    46  |  0 || 11  hou  |   211  |     6  |  2 || 12  nwe  |   119  |    53  |  1 || 13  den  |   140  |     9  |  2 || 14  dal  |   143  |    28  |  3 || 15  nyg  |   167  |    17  |  2 || 16  sdg  |   131  |    48  |  2 || 17  cin  |   201  |    21  |  3 || Total    |  1942  |   535  | 28 |
That's 416 fantasy points. The all-time record is 375. And remember that's for 15 games and STILL sharing some time with other RB, especially in the first year. And I don't think it makes any difference if Turner is the OC or not.
What remains to be seen is if he can handle that type of workload over a full season. You're combining two halves there, and while I think LJ is as capable as any runner in the league of shouldering that load, I just wonder if he can take the 425-450 touches you are projecting there.

I saw on the Blogger that Norv Turner is a possible candidate for the Chief's OC position. To this I say...let it be so!

Turner knows how to handle top-quality RBs and build an offense around them (see Emmitt Smith, Terry Allen, Stephen Davis, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, and Lamont Jordan). He's a mediocre head coach, but a solid (and very fantasy friendly) OC.

Just out of curiosity, how could any offensive coordinator get more production out of Larry Johnson than what Al Saunders was able to last year? The guy was on pace for 2,400 yards rushing 30 rushing touchdowns once he got the full-time job.

Honestly, I hope he does plenty of that and LJ's draft stock falls off to the point where I'll actually be able to draft him.
Not liklely to happen - but you can scare the heck out of your draftmates if you are at #4 or 5 . . .

I saw on the Blogger that Norv Turner is a possible candidate for the Chief's OC position.  To this I say...let it be so! 

Turner knows how to handle top-quality RBs and build an offense around them (see Emmitt Smith, Terry Allen, Stephen Davis, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, and Lamont Jordan).  He's a mediocre head coach, but a solid (and very fantasy friendly) OC.

Just out of curiosity, how could any offensive coordinator get more production out of Larry Johnson than what Al Saunders was able to last year? The guy was on pace for 2,400 yards rushing 30 rushing touchdowns once he got the full-time job.
I'd like to know too.I'm much more worried about Kansas City's Oline the next few years than than I am about who the coach or OC is.

From a different thread:

Kansas City has 43 players currently under contract for 2006. The cap share of those 43 players is $110.748 million. The projected Salary Cap for 2006 will be in the $92-95 million range (approx $17.25 mil over)

Base salaries for the Chiefs Olineman in 2006 (age in 2006) [remaining years of current contract]:

Shields, Will (35) - $5.1 million [2006 is last year]

Roaf, William (36) - $3.5 million [4 years]

Wiegmann, Casey (33) - $1.6 million [2 years]

Bober, Chris (30) - $1.5 million [3 years]

Welbourn, John (30) - $1.4 million [3 years]

Waters, Brian (29) - $545k [6 years]

That $13.645 million in base salaries does not include any signing bonuses that will affect the 2006 cap. Besides Shields and Roaf (stays at $3.5 mil), all of their base salaries have nice increases throughout the remaining years of each of their contracts.

As already said - the question is the line, not the OC. I hope Road and Shields return, but they started to show signs of age anyway - still better than 90% of the other linemen in the NFL, and better than any possible replacement, but enough to make me wonder if they'll be back.

I saw on the Blogger that Norv Turner is a possible candidate for the Chief's OC position.  To this I say...let it be so! 

Turner knows how to handle top-quality RBs and build an offense around them (see Emmitt Smith, Terry Allen, Stephen Davis, LaDanian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, and Lamont Jordan).  He's a mediocre head coach, but a solid (and very fantasy friendly) OC.

:goodposting: :thumbup: The proverbial nail on the head Wood.

| 13  oak  |   118  |    56  |  2 || 14  ten  |   104  |    19  |  2 || 15  den  |   151  |     0  |  2 || 16  oak  |    79  |    43  |  2 || 17  sdg  |    46  |   115  |  2 ||  7  mia  |    93  |    26  |  1 ||  9  oak  |   107  |    48  |  2 || 10  buf  |   132  |    46  |  0 || 11  hou  |   211  |     6  |  2 || 12  nwe  |   119  |    53  |  1 || 13  den  |   140  |     9  |  2 || 14  dal  |   143  |    28  |  3 || 15  nyg  |   167  |    17  |  2 || 16  sdg  |   131  |    48  |  2 || 17  cin  |   201  |    21  |  3 || Total    |  1942  |   535  | 28 |That's 416 fantasy points. The all-time record is 375. And remember that's for 15 games and STILL sharing some time with other RB, especially in the first year. And I don't think it makes any difference if Turner is the OC or not.
What remains to be seen is if he can handle that type of workload over a full season. You're combining two halves there, and while I think LJ is as capable as any runner in the league of shouldering that load, I just wonder if he can take the 425-450 touches you are projecting there.
450 carries is stupid. NOBODY can do that. Doesn't Jamal Anderson hold the carries in a 16 game season record with 410. He blew out his knee and haqd to retire the next season.If I was an NFL GM, I'd look at a star RB the way I wise keeper league fantasy team owner does. I want my backs to get a lot of carries. However, I owned Caddy in one of my leagues this year. Sure I was happy he went off the first couple weeks but I knew Gruden was going to break him down. Sure enough, he did. If you drive your RB into the ground that's more than likely where he'll stay. Gettin tackled 30 times a game is tough I'm sure. Project 30 X 16. That's 480. That doesn't work my friends. If I'm owning a stud RB long term, I want the guy to have a backup that can extend his career. You just look at player's stats broken down by games. You see 35 carries in one game and a lot of times the next one says "DNP."

In a redraft, I was happy to own LJ this year. But in a keeper, I'm holding him for his value to my team now and trying to figure someway to know the optimal time to sell. Preferably, the game before he blows his ACL out.

To further gage how to project Larry Johnson, over his career he's averaged 0.943 fantasy points per touch. He could easily have 375 carries and 50 receptions next year which if his production remained constant would be 400 fantasy points. We can debate how many touches he gets and if the wheels would start to come off . . .

To further gage how to project Larry Johnson, over his career he's averaged 0.943 fantasy points per touch. He could easily have 375 carries and 50 receptions next year which if his production remained constant would be 400 fantasy points. We can debate how many touches he gets and if the wheels would start to come off . . .
I'd prefer to see this split into FP/carry and FP/reception.For his caree he has 0.8857 FP/carry and 1.4339 FP/reception.

That equates to 332 FPs on rushes (375 carries) and 72 FPs on receptions (50) = 404 FPs.

To further gage how to project Larry Johnson, over his career he's averaged 0.943 fantasy points per touch.  He could easily have 375 carries and 50 receptions next year which if his production remained constant would be 400 fantasy points.  We can debate how many touches he gets and if the wheels would start to come off . . .
I'd prefer to see this split into FP/carry and FP/reception.For his caree he has 0.8857 FP/carry and 1.4339 FP/reception.

That equates to 332 FPs on rushes (375 carries) and 72 FPs on receptions (50) = 404 FPs.
You want to splt hairs over 4 fantasy points?

I'd prefer to see this split into FP/carry and FP/reception.For his career he has 0.8857 FP/carry and 1.4339 FP/reception.

You want to splt hairs over 4 fantasy points?
Of course not. But it's just the theory of using any "per touch" stat that I have a pet peeve with. They're generally more misleading than useful IMO.LJ's per touch stats (0.943 FP/touch) on 425 touches = 401 FPs

The reason both ways come out so close (this time) is because for his career LJ has averaged 8.5 carries/reception and you projected him to have 7.5 carries/reception (which is pretty close).

But if you used this stat with someone like Brian Westbrook or Sam Gado, it might be misleading. No need to split hairs, but I just don't prefer using that particular stat.

Oh, I'm not looking for more...I'm just hoping for an OC who gives LJ the best chance to maintain that production. Norv Turner is one such OC.

Oh, I'm not looking for more...I'm just hoping for an OC who gives LJ the best chance to maintain that production. Norv Turner is one such OC.
Norv Turner has shown he'll give RBs a lot of carries, not sure he's ever proven he makes a RB better than they otherwise would have been.

Users who are viewing this thread