What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LJ Owners (1 Viewer)

Warhogs

Footballguy
I thought this may be interesting and a chance to gloat for some of us. Tell how you came about getting LJ and when.

Here is my story as I have him on one dynasty team. I acquired him in week 3 or 4 last season. A team that looked like a contender lost Duece McAllister and needed RB help. I traded Chris Brown and Kevan Barlow for LJ straight up!

I thought this may be interesting and a chance to gloat for some of us. Tell how you came about getting LJ and when.

Here is my story as I have him on one dynasty team. I acquired him in week 3 or 4 last season. A team that looked like a contender lost Duece McAllister and needed RB help. I traded Chris Brown and Kevan Barlow for LJ straight up!
A guy in one of my leagues dropped him to pick up a much needed starter due to injuries. He lasted about 15 minutes before I picked him up; pure luck I happened to log in and check the waiver wire at that time.

In a 16 team dynasty prior to start of last year I got:

Larry Johnson

Sean Taylor

2006 4.1 (it turned out)

for

Michael Bennett

Mewelde Moore

Ciatrick Fason

Onterrio Smith

Ken Lucas

Dre Bly

Kevin Curtis

Brandon Short

2006 3.16 (it turned out)

I also just acquired LJ in what is effectively a 16 team IDP league initial auction for $22.50 of $104 cap ...

I think this story is funny... here's mine...I lost Deuce McAllister due to injury. This is in a 5-player keeper league, and the price of keepers was based on performance the previous year.

So I could at least have kept McAllister very cheaply this year.

Instead I was offered Larry Johnson for him (this is like Week 5) and I jumped on it.

In an ironic twist, I ended up losing to the same guy who traded me LJ in the Semi-finals. This is the week LJ had over 200 yards and a couple TDs against NYG. Too bad he had Tiki.

Drafted Holmes in the initial draft of a dynasty league.

Traded Trung Canidate & Keyshawn Johnson for rookie pick 1.02 one week before the 2003 rookie draft so that I could draft LJ and maintain the KC RB position.

Before people laugh, remember in 2003 Meshawn was coming off of 2 straight 1000 yds seasons in TB and had started to look like he was going to catch TDs as well for the defending SB champion Bucs, and Canidate was traded from STL, where he had 3 very big weeks in 2001 before being benched for Gordon in 2002, to WAS where he was going to compete for the starting job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry Johnson was cut in my keep 4 league in week 11 of 2004. Priest Homes was injured and LJ had gone 10 carries for 21 yards, DNP, DNP. The owner who dropped him picked up Kevin Faulk. I cut Dennis Northcutt and have had LJ ever since.

I actually took a lot of crap for keeping him last year. I am the only one laughing now.

Drafted him in the sixth round last year, and our league has decided on becoming a keeper league beginning next season. I am a happy, happy boy.

I took him in the 6th round last year of my 12-team 2 player keeper league.

LJ for Duce Staley, Eddie Kennison, and Michael Bennett early last year in a keeper league. You can only keep two players and restrict two with a $100 salary cap but I'll only pay $8 for LJ next year.

Got him from the #1 team in the league. He was stacked from top to bottom, and had 4 RB1s (including Dillon, Thomas Jones and C-Mart). He was a little weak at WR but that was it.

After week 4 I offered Cedric Benson, some scrub WR, and.......Neil Rackers.

Prior to training camp last year traded Randy Moss and Ahman Green for LJ and 1.03 (Caddy) in our my 10 man keeper. Won the bowl.

I traded for LJ this past January. I really wanted him on my dynasty team. I traded Willis Mcgahee, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, and Antonio Gates for LJ, Tom Brady, and Tony Gonzalez.My QBs at the time were Culpepper/Simms. My WR now are TO, DJax, Stallworth, Lee Evans, KRob.

My league allows up to 3 player to be kept up to 2 additional years for a cost of a draft pick 4 rounds earlier than the player was drafted or kept the previous year. In the 2004 draft, the guy who drafted Priest didn't think LJ was worth anything (said he shouldn't have been a 1st round NFL pick in the first place and that Vermeil's "diaper" comment validated this). So I was able to grab him in the 14th round.

That season, it sure looked like the Priest owner was right because it was Derrick Blaylock, not LJ who got the backup carries and eventually started when Priest got hurt, at least early in the season. So LJ sat on my bench. Occaisonally someone would inquire about him, but they always wanted him on the cheap and I wasn't willing to do that.

Then last summer, LJ was going as high as the late 4th/early 5th in redrafts as a handcuff to Priest. Since I could keep LJ for a 10th rounder that was good enough value for me to declare him as one of my keepers even though I was drafting in the bottom half of the 1st round and had no shot at Priest (nor did I want him). Instead, I put a deal in place with the 3rd pick owner to trade LJ and my 7th round pick for his 2nd and 3rd round picks. At the time I thought it would be a great trade because it would give me 4 picks in the top 27. It seemed like a done deal since LT and SA were going to go 1 and 2, respectively, according to the owners of those picks. But at the last minute, the #2 pick owner decided to take Priest at that spot. He had no interest in trading for LJ (at least not at the price I had negotiated with the other owner) and so I was "stuck" with LJ. Darn. :)

This year he'll cost me a 6th round pick, which makes him the best keeper in the league. :thumbup:

I got him last season right before Priest got hurt for Chris Perry.

In one of my dynasties I think the guy who drafted him in '04 still has him. 1st pick of the 6th round I believe.

In my other modified dynasty he was aquired with the 1.05 rookie pick in the '05 draft for Andre Johnson and the 2.12 rookie pick.

The crazy thing is none of these 3 teams cashed in '05.

AFTER he took the starting job last season, I was able to make this doozy:

Domanic Rhodes

Frank Gore

Antwaan Randle El

5 first round picks (which I had acquired in other trades the month before, all were destined to be in the second half of the round)

for

Larry Johnson

Jerry Porter

Michael Vick

Matt Shaub

AFTER he took the starting job last season, I was able to make this doozy:

Domanic Rhodes

Frank Gore

Antwaan Randle El

5 first round picks (which I had acquired in other trades the month before, all were destined to be in the second half of the round)

for

Larry Johnson

Jerry Porter

Michael Vick

Matt Shaub
On a related note, I traded Samkon Gado straight up for Priest Holmes.

LJ was a restricted free agent in my contract league at the beginning of last year. The same owner also had Priest Holmes as a restricted FA. Although that owner had plenty of cap space, he was rebuilding the whole team, and other top players were also on the market, including LT2, McNabb (league starts 2QBs), and Moss.

I wanted to pocket both Holmes and LJ, so I concocted this strategy. I nominated LJ first, prior to Holmes being nominated. I won him for $15 (out of a $200 cap), which is about what you'd pay RB24. Once LJ was off the table, Holmes didn't get nominated for a while, and when he did, I bid $40 for him straight off (about what RB3 goes for in this league), nobody outbid me, and the owner declined to match, so I had both of them. By nominating Holmes first, I forced the rebuilding owner to decide immediately whether he was going to spend his money on Holmes+LJ and lose his flexibility in the auciton, or whether he would let those guys walk. He did get a 1st-round pick in compensation, but it was late in the round, and all he got out of it was Aaron Rodgers.

In my auction/keeper $$ league ($200 auction cap) I was QB heavy last year and fighting to stay in the playoff hunt at midseason. :bag: I managed to deal Leftwich to our division leader who was riddled with injuries @ QB. No one else wanted to deal with him, so he was sorta stuck with me and my Leftwich for LJ offer.

In a league where top 5 RB's can go for anywhere from $65 to $105 I now have LJ under wraps as a keeper for $11...

:excited:

I got him from a team that started 0-4 and needed to make a push, or risk not making the playoff. This guy drafted LJ in the 6th round. Needless to say, after week 1, LJ when on to have 3 straight subpar weeks, and his bye week was in week 5. The guy couldn't afford a 5th consecutive loss, so he traded me LJ for the "red hot" Eli Manning and Travis Taylor. Too bad for him, their bye week was also in week 5. :ph34r:

I love it when a plan comes together! :lmao:

Best trade I ever made:

Quinn, Jonathan CHI QB

Moore, Mewelde MIN RB

Both had either just started or were about to.

for

Johnson, Larry KCC RB

2005 1st round pick

:thumbup:

I then proceeded to trade:

Johnson, Larry KCC RB

Umenyiora, Osi NYG DE

Williams, Demorrio ATL LB

2005 3rd round

for

Williams, Ricky MIA RB

Droughns, Reuben DEN RB

Douglas, Marques BAL DE

Bell, Kendrell PIT LB

2005 1st round

:bag:

My keep 2 league has a the # of keeper years assigned by which round the player was drafted. The old LJ owner drafted him in the 3rd. (2 keeper years) The minute I read the inside info on Preist here I sent an offer to him. Portis for LJ straight up. Portis was going back in to the draft this year so I thought it was worth the gamble. He jumped on it, a week later the Priest news hit. Me = :excited: Him = :cry:

Now I have the pleasure of picking two from LJ(2), R. Brown(3), S. Jax(2) for keepers. :thumbup:

My 14 team Dynasty team I actually traded for him during draft to dig myself out of a deep hole last year. (I forget round)

I drafted Peyton with 10th pick of draft. With RB'S being hogged despite a WR reception bonus league I got in a deep deep hole at RB. So I was offered Johnson for Manning and the guys next pick of draft which I had already made up my mind was that last useful RB available Foster. It turned out to be Larry Johnson and Foster for Manning and a future draft pick for him later in draft. People were telling me I got robed and the trade was not fair at that time. What a joke!!!! And just another reason not to rush to judgement and veto trades like many owners in my leagues often do! They were right as it trned out. But to my favor, not my getting robbed like they thought! haha

The second league I own Larry is a keep 1 at each position league. I kept Lamont Jordon and drafted Larry Johnson with the 3.08 pick.

Which is technically 6.08 because of 1 RB,1 WR or TE,1 QB keeper rule. I drafted him as my RB 4!

Needless to say I pretty much dominated both leagues and brought home the all leagues advertiseing bonus prize for being HIGHEST super Bowl winner of all leagues for second year in a row!

In a 12 team, keep 6 TD only league, I traded for Priest Holmes at our league draft the year after he had his first major injury that caused him to miss the last few games of the season. I gave up Ahman Green, Torry Holt, and David Boston (I was already keeping Marvin Harrison and Chad Johnson). Ahman Green went on to score over 20 TDs that year and Holt finally broke the 10 TD mark. Priest scored over 20, also, but I was awarded the Boner of the Year award for making that trade.

Two years ago, I drafted LJ in the 3rd round to back up Priest. I protected both of them going into last year (along with Marvin, Chad, Brees, and Portis who I got in exchange for my 1st round pick). He lead me to my first league title last year :thumbup:

I drafted him last season- traded him, and then traded back for him- I gave up everything I had to get him as a keeper for this season. They guy I traded with to get him really wanted to win so badly and I loaded him up. I then ended up beating him in the playoffs last year because of LJ (and won my Super Bowl and now I have him for this season as well!!!!!!

My keep 2 league has a the # of keeper years assigned by which round the player was drafted. The old LJ owner drafted him in the 3rd. (2 keeper years) The minute I read the inside info on Preist here I sent an offer to him. Portis for LJ straight up. Portis was going back in to the draft this year so I thought it was worth the gamble. He jumped on it, a week later the Priest news hit. Me = :excited: Him = :cry:

Now I have the pleasure of picking two from LJ(2), R. Brown(3), S. Jax(2) for keepers. :thumbup:
I did something similar in a draft league. I had an ok team, and a better record, b/c I played some weak-sister teams in the first few games of the season. I realized that I would need to make a big move in order to win the league. This was a league in which I waited until round 5 to take my first RB (M.Anderson, as it happened, and followed up with Fred Taylor and Chris Brown), so I knew I needed to upgrade the position. I traded the underperforming Marvin Harrison and the overperforming Trent Dilfer (2QB league) for Drew Brees and Larry Johnson right after I heard about the severity of the Holmes situation here at FBG. The other owner accepted the deal, only to discover one day later that Holmes was done for the year.Fortified, I proceeded to go 10-4, led my leage in PF, and lost in the Superbowl...

Drafted him last year in the 2nd round of my 14 team 3-keeper league, in order to protect my investment in Priest. Probably reached for him (essentially a 5th rounder), but I'd say it was worth it.

In our 12 team, three-keeper league last year my three keepers were Culpepper, Alexander and Deuce. I traded Chad Johnson for a late second round pick, and used that to draft LJ, who I was definitely targeting. Seemed like a bit of a reach at the time, but I felt pretty confident he was gonna take over from Padre by no later than this season, and now it's looking like one of the best moves I've ever made, knock on wood.

I thought this may be interesting and a chance to gloat for some of us.  Tell how you came about getting LJ and when.

Here is my story as I have him on one dynasty team.  I acquired him in week 3 or 4 last season.  A team that looked like a contender lost Duece McAllister and needed RB help.  I traded Chris Brown and Kevan Barlow for LJ straight up!
A guy in one of my leagues dropped him to pick up a much needed starter due to injuries. He lasted about 15 minutes before I picked him up; pure luck I happened to log in and check the waiver wire at that time.
in a 12-team keeper league, i traded Portis ( coming off a subpar 2004 season) for the #2 pick in the draft, AND joe horn)picked LJ at #2, as the guy at #1 picked Caddy Williams..I got lucky there..

eventually traded Joe Horn for Benson..

won the league with LJ..

5 player keeper league... LJ was not kept last year because he was a "backup." :eek: I have Priest Holmes so in August I traded Terrell Owens for the 1.02 pick in the draft. Caddy went 1.01, I took LJ at 1.02... people thought it was a reach... I then took Ronnie Brown with the 1.05 pick. Whos laughing now? :boxing:

Own him in all three of my keeper/dynasty leagues :D

Got really lucky with timing on the last two.

1. 10 team, 3 keepers: Traded before 2005

Holmes, LJ and 7th

for

Portis, Chris Perry and 4th

2. 16 team, 5 keepers: Traded last season sometime after Cpepp injury and right before Holmes went down

Cpepp and LJ

for

Bledsoe, Tiki

3. 12 team dynasty league: Traded for LJ a week before Deuce tore his knee and right before Holmes went down

LJ and 1.6

for

Deuce

In my auction/keeper $$ league ($200 auction cap) I was QB heavy last year and fighting to stay in the playoff hunt at midseason. :bag: I managed to deal Leftwich to our division leader who was riddled with injuries @ QB. No one else wanted to deal with him, so he was sorta stuck with me and my Leftwich for LJ offer.

In a league where top 5 RB's can go for anywhere from $65 to $105 I now have LJ under wraps as a keeper for $11...

:excited:
Playoff hunt? Weren't you neck and neck in the toilet bowl race right down to the end big guy? :lmao:

Initial dyanasty draft in 2004, picked him 193rd overall- 14th round (14 teams)

Keeper league, keep 22 of 32 each year, traded M. Faulk and Rod Woodson for Johnson, Ronde Barber, and free agent pickup(only allowed 1 per week) after week 8, 2003.

Both leagues are IDP.

Guy in my main league drafted him as a rookie and hung on to him. Ever since he joined the league back in '98, he had been a bottom dweller. This year, he made the playoffs for one of the first times ever, and despite only going 7-7 (and 1-5 in his division), he was able to outmuscle three of the top teams in our league and win the whole enchilada. Mainly because of the monstrous ending Johnson had. He almost single-handedly won it for him...

I've made a ton of offers for LJ, and he's rejected them all (even offered him Holt and R Moss at one point). I can see how he wants to hang on to him, I mean, he IS one of the top 2 or 3 players in the NFL right now with his incredible performance last season. I guess we'll all have to pay the piper to get him...

Long-time Priest owner (got him in a package deal the year after he went to KC, have felt lucky as hell ever since) in a 12 team dynasty league. I finished second the year LJ came out. The dude with the 1.04 drafted him. and because he was so depleted at RB, refused to trade him (I can't blame him here, he had 1 starter and NO ONE else, and I couldn't offer him a startable RB in return.)

He held him until Blaylock looked to be entrenched as the backup/eventual starter and at some point in that season, he dropped him for a TE to cover a bye. I had a roster spot and claimed him off waivers (we use a dollar-bid system, and I had the most money left).

I have had him ever since. Being a long-time Priest owner, there is something that comforts me about the thought of having the KC starting RB for a little while longer.

Last summer going into the initial draft for a new dynasty league I decided that if he was there when my 5.4 pick came around I was going to take him no matter what the rest of my roster looked like. Of course it helps that we can start 3 rbs at a time. I took a little bit of ribbing from a couple of owners who thought I was reaching for a "back-up" rb, but I also had to owners contact me about a potential trade for LJ saying they would've taken him in the 5th round too if he'd made it to them. Needless to say at the end of the year I was very happy trotting out LJ, Tiki, and Rudi on my way to our Super Bowl and my eventual victory.

14-team dynasty league: drafted him 2.02

12-team redraft league: drafted him 5.01

12-team redraft league: drafted him 5.06

12-team redraft league: he went at 5.05, I wanted him at 5.08

12-team keeper league: drafted him 7.02

This year I've got pick 1.1 in a new dynasty league and he may be my pick there.

I picked up LJ in a preseason trade. I traded Rudi Johnson for LJ and the 2nd overall pick in a 12 team keeper league draft in which 6 players were kept/team. I wanted the pick. I like LJ for the future, but knew I was trading away a stud. But I used the 2nd overall as part of a package in which I picked up Larry Fitzgerald. Picked up the two Larrys in two days.....that was a nice two days worth of work. Coincidentally, as part of the Fitz trade I acquired the 5th overall pick and chose Ced Benson...so here's to hoping this guy actually becomes a player. Whatever anyone did to get LJ though was clearly stealing, even in my case where I actually gave up a top 10 back for a then 'backup'.

12 team league, keep 2 players for a limited time.

We can keep 2 players drafted in 2005 for the 2006 season. Those players have to be put back into the 2007 draft.

Anyway, I drafted LJ with pick 5.07 and ended up winning the league.

I also won the 2006 draft lottery and have the 1st pick this fall.

I am thinking about putting LJ back in the draft and taking him with the #1 pick so I can have him for 06 and 07.

I traded for him before the start of last season.

Gave up :-

Kevin Jones, Reuben Droughns, Artose Pinner, Roy Williams

Received : -

Larry Johnson, Chris Brown, Anquan Boldin, 2.12 Rookie pick (Brandon Jacobs)

Can anyone beat this:

I drafted Larry Johnson in 10th round pick in a keeper league. Our keeper league allows us to keep players who were drafted and on a team's roster for the entire year then subtract 3 rounds from the DV. So I get to keep Larry and drop 7th round pick in upcoming draft. I could keep him next year and drop 4th round pick. If he is still good enough, I'll keep him again and drop 1st round pick 3 years later.

Ain't that sweet- Larry on my team for 4 years straight for 10th, 7th, 4th, and 1st round picks.

We each protect 7 players (10 team league). I needed a 7th, and another owner did not mention him as a protection in August. I offered Burress straight up and it got done in 3 seconds.

Interestingly, around week 4 or 5, I was not liking the trade. Luckily, I was patient (for a change)

drafted him the 5th round (last year) of a keeper league draft. 8 team,2 keeper league. you should've seen the look on the priest owners face,it was awesome!!

Salary cap Keeper league, keep 3 o players and 3 IDP. I had Priest, was planning on picking LJ in the 3rd rd. Someone (wisely) snapped him up a few picks before me. After shouting obscenities at him, the draft continued. He said we could maybe work a deal, We did later that night. Here it is

I got LJ

He got Warrick Dunn, TJ Duckett, and my 1st rd pick in 2006 draft. At the time people in my league said I got raped and was an idiot. Only I forsaw the true genius of this trade

I won the title and have LJ cheap for 2 more years

:D

Users who are viewing this thread