What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lofa Tatupa (1 Viewer)

Rozelle

Quote from Dave Boling / The News Tribune:

• Rookie linebacker Lofa Tatupu has been getting considerable action with the first unit already and has a nice knack for finding the ball.

Whereas some linebackers are adept at mirroring the ballcarrier’s path and then taking them on once they turn upfield, Tatupu does a better job of scraping off blockers and aggressively meeting the ball at the line of scrimmage or behind it.

On one play in team drills, he sliced in when Shaun Alexander was running a sweep and tackled him for a 3-yard loss near the sideline.

LINK

I was able to grab him in the 9th round of my IDP dynasty league draft after reading this post. :thumbup:

I was able to grab him in the 9th round of my IDP dynasty league draft after reading this post. :thumbup:
He was calling defensive signals on day 2 of the teams first OTA's

Last edited by a moderator:
out right now with a hammy strain, but i have no doubt he'll be the starter at MLB for most of the year. another situation to watch in seattle is the WLB, where rookie leroy hill is lining up in place of oft-injured DD Lewis

Good deal! Hope it pans out for ya. I drafted him in my dynasty league back in May. Like Seattle, I prolly took him a little early, but I think he will start from day one and put up nice numbers.

My assumption is that he's playing MLB. If so, is he considered the starter and what does this mean for Niko Koutouvides?

unless they are in some kind of time sharing arrangement, i expect tatutpu to win the job & niko to be a reserve... that said, some think niko will remain the starter this season... we should know a lot more in a few weeks if you don't have any drafts or WW cut down between now & then. imo, the hints from the coaching staff, fact that he was seeing time with the first team b4 hammy pull (don't think it is very serious... they aren't rushing him back & don't want him to aggravate it), & also that team traded up in second & gave up two additional fourths to secure his services suggests that he is the man. while tatupu was thought by some to be a reach, its not like niko was a blue chip prospect... the consensus two best MLB/ILB prospects from class of '04 were vilma, daryl smith & courtney watson.i featured tatupu (in depth profile section) in first installment of ETTG in offseason...Lofa Tatupu (5'11" 235) - "It was fashionable in the wake of the recent draft for pundits and wags to criticize the Tatupu pick as a multi-round reach. Yet clearly the Seahawks saw something in the former point-man for the USC two-time National Champion defense that others didn't... they gave up TWO fourth rounders to move up nine spots just past the middle of round two. What was it the Seattle personnel gurus saw, and why did so many other scouting departments overlook him? To answer the latter question, look no further than his measurables. They are average and his computer numbers don't "compute"... they are refractory to pigeon-holing within current accepted size and speed conventions within the scouting community. In this respect he is a lot like Dolphins MLB Zach Thomas, who is a failure as a physical specimen and workout warrior but a spectacular success as a football player. PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS. Back to the traits that appealed to Seattle so much they had to have him... compelling them to give up so much to guarantee securing his services. Aside from robust production (he led the Trojans in tackles his last two seasons), USC and ex-NFL HC Pete Carroll observed that Tatupu's background and former experience as a star prep QB gave him an advantage in terms of his encompassing understanding of offenses, what they are trying to do to defenses and how they go about it. He has almost telepathic recognition skills and the ability to diagnose plays. Teammate and All-American DT Shaun Cody noted that he was calling out all of Oklahoma's plays before the snap in the Orange Bowl blowout (he led the team in tackles with 12). Though an "intangible" and difficult to assign a quantitative measure to like a 40 time or vertical jump, having a knack for predicting what play has been called and knowing how it will unfold based on tendencies results in some very tangible consequences... being in the right place at the right time. >From the high price paid by the front office and coaching staff, Tatupu is expected to be given every opportunity to win the starting job in camp (he was already running with the first team defense in mini-camp). If so, he has the hidden and inner qualities to be a star at the next level, if not the obvious external traits of more heralded LBs Derrick Johnson, Barrett Ruud, Odell Thurman, Channing Crowder and Kevin Burnett. It is hard to overstate how much of an equalizer those inner qualities can be (2004 Defensive Rookie of the Year Jonathan Vilma is not the biggest, fastest or strongest LB, but is lauded for his spooky instincts, off-the-charts football IQ and coach on the field leadership). In the end, possession or lack of these hidden qualities could play the biggest role and be the largest determinant in how this class ultimately shakes out."

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, our own Eyes of the Guru man, John Norton, does not believe Tatupu will have an impact this season. Personally, I disagree with him and agree with Bob Magaw. Tatupu might not have the measurables most desired out of your MLB, but what he lacks in pure strength and speed, he makes up for in instincts and football smarts.Lofa has knack for the game not easily taught and I think he's a starter by midseason if not earlier.

Update from Seattle PI today:

ROOKIE WATCHSecond-round draft choice Lofa Tatupu continued to work at middle linebacker with the No. 2 defense after returning Sunday afternoon from a 10-day layoff due to a strained hamstring.But the layoff didn't lessen his uncanny ability to read and react. On back-to-back plays in the morning practice, Tatupu played off two blocks to get to running back Dante Brown as he was heading around the left side, and then fought off a block to stop Brown as he was attempting to run to the right side.The coaches continue to shuffle their linebacking groups, as Kevin Bentley (weak side), Niko Koutouvides (middle) and Darren Sharper (strong side) comprised the starting unit and White (weak side) and Isaiah Kacyvenski (strong side) joined Tatupu with the second unit.

that weakside job is wide open...lewis - always hurtbentley - decent depth, but not really a playmakerwhite - trying to make the rosterand my favorite -hill - had some nice plays in the first game, but hurt, out for 10 days or so.

Update from Seattle PI today:

ROOKIE WATCH

Second-round draft choice Lofa Tatupu continued to work at middle linebacker with the No. 2 defense after returning Sunday afternoon from a 10-day layoff due to a strained hamstring.

But the layoff didn't lessen his uncanny ability to read and react. On back-to-back plays in the morning practice, Tatupu played off two blocks to get to running back Dante Brown as he was heading around the left side, and then fought off a block to stop Brown as he was attempting to run to the right side.

The coaches continue to shuffle their linebacking groups, as Kevin Bentley (weak side), Niko Koutouvides (middle) and Darren Sharper (strong side) comprised the starting unit and White (weak side) and Isaiah Kacyvenski (strong side) joined Tatupu with the second unit.
thanx for update, Shick!we appreciate the local SEA IDP updates.

bob

that weakside job is wide open...

lewis - always hurt

bentley - decent depth, but not really a playmaker

white - trying to make the roster

and my favorite -

hill - had some nice plays in the first game, but hurt, out for 10 days or so.
Would either Niko or Tatupu be an upgrade there, and can either play the weak side effectively? I know both are young so it's hard to say, but this seems like an opportunity to shift one of them to get your best players on the field in decent positions.

that weakside job is wide open...

lewis - always hurt

bentley - decent depth, but not really a playmaker

white - trying to make the roster

and my favorite -

hill - had some nice plays in the first game, but hurt, out for 10 days or so.
Would either Niko or Tatupu be an upgrade there, and can either play the weak side effectively? I know both are young so it's hard to say, but this seems like an opportunity to shift one of them to get your best players on the field in decent positions.
hill's fast, and seems to be a playmaker, his only problem is being a little undersized, and WLB's where you can get away with an LB on the smallish side. i would think hill would be a better option than niko there.

I hope Tatupu does better than Huff did last year. I am embarrassed to say that I had Huff of my roster – he usually got outscored by special team players.

Lofa starting at MLB tonight against the Chefs.
Should note that I'm not at all happy with what I'm seeing so far. Easily blocked and getting caught up in traffic. I'd feel much better if I saw him get off just one block and make a play.

Should note that I'm not at all happy with what I'm seeing so far. Easily blocked and getting caught up in traffic. I'd feel much better if I saw him get off just one block and make a play.
Just after I hit enter, LJ takes off for 97 yards right up the gut...

He played the entire first half. 0 tackles, 0 assists. :hot:

that's about how the seattle LBs played last year

good, more tackles for hamlin and boulware :excited:

I talk to myself alot but have never seen replying to yourself like this before on a message board. Record? :lmao:

I talk to myself alot but have never seen replying to yourself like this before on a message board. Record? :lmao:
You have a point, but it just seemed a logical way to provide updates during the game.

Just watched yet another first half of.....meh. Nothing special. The homer in me is concerned.

Just watched yet another first half of.....meh. Nothing special. The homer in me is concerned.
Do I take this correctly to mean that you view this position as being unsettled, with Tatupu simply heading into the season as the default starter who could easily be replaced if he underperforms, and/or some sort of MLB rotation with him and Niko with different defensive packages? Niko is a borderline cut for my LB corps, so I'm really trying to understand this situation.

Do I take this correctly to mean that you view this position as being unsettled, with Tatupu simply heading into the season as the default starter who could easily be replaced if he underperforms, and/or some sort of MLB rotation with him and Niko with different defensive packages? Niko is a borderline cut for my LB corps, so I'm really trying to understand this situation.
My guess is Lofa starts and keeps the job, but I won't be happy about it unless we see some serious improvements. I view Lofa as Ray Rhodes picking "his" player, and will probably stick with him.

Shick!,question on another LB. I know he missed time for injury but is DD Lewis the starter at WLB? I have him buried as like my last player in a league.

Shick!,

question on another LB. I know he missed time for injury but is DD Lewis the starter at WLB? I have him buried as like my last player in a league.
I think Lewis is starting - but as a Seahawks fan living in the Philly area, I'm not completely on top of this. I did record the last pre-season game, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Good deal! Hope it pans out for ya. I drafted him in my dynasty league back in May. Like Seattle, I prolly took him a little early, but I think he will start from day one and put up nice numbers.
Hi Rozelle, I just wanted to sayTHANK YOU!!!!!!!

Hi Rozelle, I just wanted to sayTHANK YOU!!!!!!!
Thanks, I'm glad it has worked out for you. Good Luck!

I picked this guy up as a free agent in my dynasty. only cost me a dollar!! :lmao: looking good along with brooking, urlacher, peterson, quarles, and danny clark!

I still cry about this guy and Thurman. I took Ruud over Thurman in a rookie draft. I still like that pick. Thurman was still available at my next pick. I traded down and got E. James. I was eyeing Tatupa as well but couldn't pull the trigger. Instead going with Pollack, Tuck, and Marlin Jackson.It was a solid defensive draft for me but it hurts seeing those two produce for another squad.

Had the worst IDP production in my Zealots league last year. Drafted Thurman and Tatupu based on some of the posts here.Now I've got the highest IDP production in the league. Thanks. :thumbup:

I added Odell, Lofa and Mike Peterson to my team this year my offense has just been OK but my defense has been the reason I am in the playoffs.

I added Odell, Lofa and Mike Peterson to my team this year my offense has just been OK but my defense has been the reason I am in the playoffs.
I have Lofa, Odell, Kirk Morrison and Kawika Mitchell and they are keeping me alive thanks to a pedestrian offense.First time I didn't waste a high draft pick on LB and it has paid off nicely. Althiough I did lose ray Lewis, but he was a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread