What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LOL @ Mathew Berry (1 Viewer)

Matt Berry is a normal dude who got a gig writing about predicting what players will individually do in football games before they occur. There's a high probability some of his guess will be wrong. Overall, the guy writes some entertaining stuff.

Silly score boarding here. I'm sure the OP's never made a bad draft pick or lineup call.

I actually like Berry and read all his stuff.

but still, hate list and he goes for 52+ pts depending on league rules.

thought it was pretty cool that his one untradable "player" ROS was the Bears DST. Top player in my league traded for them this week, so I was hoping for the kiss of death, but solid call so far.

Matt Berry is a normal dude who got a gig writing about predicting what players will individually do in football games before they occur. There's a high probability some of his guess will be wrong. Overall, the guy writes some entertaining stuff.Silly score boarding here. I'm sure the OP's never made a bad draft pick or lineup call.
well done

Matt Berry is a normal dude who got a gig writing about predicting what players will individually do in football games before they occur. There's a high probability some of his guess will be wrong. Overall, the guy writes some entertaining stuff.Silly score boarding here. I'm sure the OP's never made a bad draft pick or lineup call.
Doug Martin just put up like the best fantasy day of all time, and Berry had him on his hate list. It's okay to poke a little fun. No need to rush to his defense.

Matt Berry is a normal dude who got a gig writing about predicting what players will individually do in football games before they occur. There's a high probability some of his guess will be wrong. Overall, the guy writes some entertaining stuff.
:goodposting: Bingo. There are many guys, including many here, who could predict player performance as well or better than Berry. Berry got his gig at ESPN not because of his prediction accuracy, but because he's a fairly entertaining writer and personality.

He had pretty sound reasoning. TB just lost their 2nd stud OL on the year. Even if people had him rated well, no one could foresee this day.

Berry had Dougie Martin on his hate list this week.

Classic
You can't "LOL" at anyone if you post after the games are over. Well, you can - but you look like a tool doing it.Post before the games next time and we'll take it seriously.
Yes, we can LOL, given that Berry is the only person in the world who had him on his hate list. Obviously he didn't watch him actually play the previous 2 weeks.

Berry had Dougie Martin on his hate list this week.

Classic
You can't "LOL" at anyone if you post after the games are over. Well, you can - but you look like a tool doing it.Post before the games next time and we'll take it seriously.
Yes, we can LOL, given that Berry is the only person in the world who had him on his hate list. Obviously he didn't watch him actually play the previous 2 weeks.
As much as I like Berry bashing, he wasn't the only one hating on Martin.. Many analysts were on the "no Carl Nicks" theory, just goes to show, there is no such thing as a FF expert. Just hope this didn't cause any benching for others out there.

Doug Martin just put up like the best fantasy day of all time, and Berry had him on his hate list. It's okay to poke a little fun. No need to rush to his defense.
Can we poke a little fun at you, since Doug Martin wasn't on his hate list?

Can we poke a little fun at you, since Doug Martin wasn't on his hate list?
:goodposting: If you're going to pick nits, at least do it correctly.

He had pretty sound reasoning. TB just lost their 2nd stud OL on the year. Even if people had him rated well, no one could foresee this day.
IIRC Bloom and others on the Couch podcast last week on Martin: "Whatever you do, just don't trade him" In other words, the consensus from 3 experts was Martin was a must-holdTMR last week on Martin: "I am moving on"You are correct no one could forsee this day, but I don't think it was real hard to label Martin as a musthold last week

I don't read his column but this made me curious so I went to espn.com and saw that this is not true. He actually praised Martin and himself for being the highest on him of all the ESPN analysts before the season started. He was worried about how the Nicks injury would impact his production which is completely understandable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=TMR121101

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care for Berry's work as much as others do here. To each his own.

The reason so many dislike him is he's getting paid for his fantasy articles and advice. He doesn't deserve to get paid for what he's doing imo but then again neither do most "gurus".

I don't care for Berry's work as much as others do here. To each his own.The reason so many dislike him is he's getting paid for his fantasy articles and advice. He doesn't deserve to get paid for what he's doing imo but then again neither do most "gurus".
Yeah it sure sucks that some people have found employment in writing about fantasy football. How terrible.. :confused:

I don't read his column but this made me curious so I went to espn.com and saw that this is not true. He actually praised Martin and himself for being the highest on him of all the ESPN analysts before the season started. He was worried about how the Nicks injury would impact his production which is completely understandable. http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=TMR121101
:goodposting: Berry ranked Martin 12th this week - still someone to start in all but the few 5-man leagues out there. ESPN's experts collectively ranked Martin 10th, FBGs had him 8th, Rotoworld had him 12thHe had a game for the ages that nobody saw coming. If you had Martin on your roster, its hard to imagine who you would have played over him.

I'm good with it as long as the guys in my league keep reading it on the ESPN league page. Personally I don't read his stuff, I don't think he changed too many minds about starting Doug Martin.

I'm good with it as long as the guys in my league keep reading it on the ESPN league page. Personally I don't read his stuff, I don't think he changed too many minds about starting Doug Martin. If you sat Martin because Matt Berry "hated" him you probably shouldn't be playing for money.

I don't care for Berry's work as much as others do here. To each his own.The reason so many dislike him is he's getting paid for his fantasy articles and advice. He doesn't deserve to get paid for what he's doing imo but then again neither do most "gurus".
Yeah it sure sucks that some people have found employment in writing about fantasy football. How terrible.. :confused:
It's a game of luck. The gurus know very little more than anyone else....sometimes less.

I love TMR and Nate's podcast and find Berry to be a very entertaining guy. You can't fault him for saying Martin is a low-end number 2 running back. He thinks about 15 guys are low-end number 2 running backs. Having said that, if you find yourself disagreeing with Berry about something, you're probably in good hands. Nate is not a weasel.

Blind squirrels, broken clocks, and fantasy experts all have their moments… but for the most part are largely unreliable.

Look at them (guys like Berry) as you would a weather man; they make sound, educated guesses on what's likely to happen based on the information they are analyzing. Then they present their report and move on… no need to wait around for the word on accuracy because it doesn't matter. In the end this stuff is totally unpredictable.

In the end, we all tune in, log on, whatever anyway… because we are all hopelessly addicted to this hobby. I watch Fantasy Live on NFL Network for example, and their hit/miss record is on par (bad) with all the other experts… but it's entertaining, so I watch.

Long-story-short, you are better off making your own decisions because you're the one that has to live with the results. Don't take any of it too seriously.

I used to listen to TMR and Nate's podcast. I then found the Audible, and while I don't think that Sigmund and Cecil and Matt are any better at predicting the future, I find the information more informative.

The 06010 podcast is 1/3 informative and 2/3 junk and entertainment. I am sure that some like the entertainment part, but when I listen to fantasy football podcasts, I do it to hear information, and also an informed opinion on that info. I stopped listening to the 06010 because it does not help in the least, and was more a waste of my time than anything.

I must admit that I read a lot of the articles on ESPN, because that is where I primarily play fantasy football. I like the ESPN format, and therefore I end up checking out the fantasy pages. I read stuff from Chris Harris mainly, but sometimes I will read Cockroft, and Karabell.

The one article that I never read, is TMR's Love/Hate. The guy may be right sometimes, but most of the time, I just do not value his advice. He wraps it in too much crap, and tries to be too cute. Also, he is sort of hate-able. So I think that is why you will commonly see people posting about the guy on here and other places.

In the end, I think it is best to do podcasts and articles that give all the information that you need, and then also give an informative opinion on it, without making too many calls one way or another. Then you make your own decisions. I think someone in here already said that, "You have to live with it in the end"

I love TMR and Nate's podcast and find Berry to be a very entertaining guy. You can't fault him for saying Martin is a low-end number 2 running back. He thinks about 15 guys are low-end number 2 running backs. Having said that, if you find yourself disagreeing with Berry about something, you're probably in good hands. Nate is not a weasel.
Nate's got a voice for print.

I'd prefer to make fun of anyone who left Martin on their bench. That has GOT to hurt.
That would be a better poll/thread... The Monday morning sting is worse for; A) guys that have Martin and benched him, or B) guys that had to play against him?

Guy gets paid to entertain and to me he's entertaining. So there's that.

IIRC Bloom and others on the Couch podcast last week on Martin: "Whatever you do, just don't trade him" In other words, the consensus from 3 experts was Martin was a must-holdTMR last week on Martin: "I am moving on"You are correct no one could forsee this day, but I don't think it was real hard to label Martin as a musthold last week
The Couch podcast needs to come out earlier in the week. I dealt the Muscle Hamster in my league on Wednesday the day after Nicks was put on the IR, the day of Berry jumping ship on Martin on his podcast and the day prior to the Couch guys saying "whatever you do, don't trade him".What was extra fun about it is that Sproles got hurt the next day and I dealt Martin to my opponent this week. And oddly enough, I'm not too broken up about it.

I know this business is hit and miss but, honestly, he kind of deserves to cop criticism for this. Not because he got it wrong, but there were so many other predictions he could have made, and he chose to bet against a RB who had just broken out the week prior by shredding a defense to the tune of around 40 fantasy points. Sure, no one could have predicted what happened this week, but you're setting yourself up to be embarrassed.

Saying he wasn't on the Hate list is a technicality here, folks.

Martin was called out in Matthew's Love / Hate article as someone he was jumping off the bandwagon for PRIOR to delving into his Week 9 loves/hates. Berry also made a point of blowing the Nicks loss out of proportion on his podcast, on the website, on television... pretty much everywhere you can think of.

He's copped to this being a bad call. Wasn't his first, won't be his last. Just part of the job.

How many people predicted that game for Martin? :rolleyes:

zero point zero.

Saying he wasn't on the Hate list is a technicality here, folks.

Martin was called out in Matthew's Love / Hate article as someone he was jumping off the bandwagon for PRIOR to delving into his Week 9 loves/hates. Berry also made a point of blowing the Nicks loss out of proportion on his podcast, on the website, on television... pretty much everywhere you can think of.

He's copped to this being a bad call. Wasn't his first, won't be his last. Just part of the job.
That's pretty much it right here. He is one of the few guys I've seen that admits his mistakes. He doesn't gloss over the missed calls. If anything he highlights them the next week by poking fun at himself. If you look at his hits for the week, you can see he made some pretty good choices there. No one's ever going to be 100% right and when a day like Doug Martin happens, it looks worse. If Martin goes for 100 yds and a TD, this thread doesn't even happen.

The Couch podcast needs to come out earlier in the week. I dealt the Muscle Hamster in my league on Wednesday the day after Nicks was put on the IR, the day of Berry jumping ship on Martin on his podcast and the day prior to the Couch guys saying "whatever you do, don't trade him".What was extra fun about it is that Sproles got hurt the next day and I dealt Martin to my opponent this week. And oddly enough, I'm not too broken up about it.
I'm confused. I thought everyone saw Martin's breakout game because it was on primetime. The guy was electrifying and he was a top 5ish overall back before this week. I don't get why you would of dealt him unless you could get top 5-8ish RB value for him.

Hey if you're going to miss, you might as well miss like that. Like Insein said though, he also had some pretty good hits as well. I bet his recommendation of the San Diego D/ST probably helped out a bunch of owners as well last week.

Hey if you're going to miss, you might as well miss like that. Like Insein said though, he also had some pretty good hits as well. I bet his recommendation of the San Diego D/ST probably helped out a bunch of owners as well last week.
No comparison. You are probably dropping SD this week. "unloading" Martin last week could potentially cost you winning your league.

No comparison. You are probably dropping SD this week. "unloading" Martin last week could potentially cost you winning your league.
I suppose it depends on who you traded him for. It's also conceivable that Berry wasn't wrong about trading him high. He was just off on the week to do it. I'm a Martin owner myself and I just don't have the depth to think about moving him so I was going to hold no matter what was said about him but I can certainly understand the sentiment in redraft about selling as high as possible. Everyone's mistake really was in thinking that the Minny game was his ceiling and that the sky was falling with regard to the Nicks injury. Not one person that I saw talking about Nicks thought to say lets wait a week and see how the Bucs would adjust to Nicks's absence. As an owner, if you made the move to dump Martin without at least considering the adjustment period for the o-line then its on you and not Berry or any other prognostication.

Users who are viewing this thread