What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Look At Recent Drafts (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
don banks of si tackled the idea of a do-over... it is usually premature to judge draft picks until 2-3 years have gone buy... in this case, as a rams fan, i liked the LT/RT alex barron pick & thought it was a great intersection of BPA value & team need where they got him... would you have picked differently for your team... TEN is one of the higher teams that would probably like a do-over...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ.../29/draft.redo/

a first rate look at the 2004 draft, by pete fiutak of college football news... other than an annoying tendency to keep calling steven jackson & kevin jones names repeatedly at certain points in the draft (he was right... jackson SHOULD have gone higher... though he should have known DEN in skeletor reign NEVER drafts a RB in round one), this was a great read for its insightfulness, prescience & sense of humor... i taped this draft & probably watched it more than i saw the wizard of oz & seasonal charlie brown holiday specials when i was growing up... it was cool to have the action i saw unfold over two days compressed into a few minute read... i found this while googling for something else, but props to tenacious D for mention of this site as top quality in his prodigious draft links thread (now thankfully pinned so i don't have to hunt for it on pg 2), which got my attention...

i have to say, despite some funky picks by rams in the martz era (see immortal future HOFers & day one busts such as eric crouch, jacoby shepard, richie incognito, robert thomas, damione lewis), steven jackson represented another excellent example of the preferred convergence of BPA value with team needs in retrospect (& was well worth the surgical move up in a trade with CIN to secure his services once he began to shockingly freefall closer & closer to them in the last quadrant of the first round... it was a big surprise to many when DAL passed on him)... how bout your team? :)

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004/Co...aft_PartOne.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
As most 'Skins fans will tell you, Banks loves to bash the team. This column is no exception, though it's a bit more subtle.

Washington RedskinsODELL THURMAN, LB, GeorgiaOriginal pick: Carlos Rogers, CB, AuburnThurman has played and played well in the middle as a second-round pick in Cincinnati this season. He would have been a nice fit in Washington, where the Redskins lost the emerging Antonio Pierce to the Giants in free agency, replacing him with a lesser talent in Lemar Marshall. Rogers has started opposite Shawn Springs at times, but his impact has been limited thus far.
This is just plain dumb. Thurman is a good player, but c'mon. The LB's were solid as a group this past season, even with Lavar in and out of the lineup. If there was a weak spot, it wasn't Marshall in the middle it was Holdman/Arrington on the weak side. And Carlos Rogers looks like the real deal in single coverage, which is exactly what a pressure defensive scheme needs. This is at best ill-informed analysis. And that's why his stance that Rogers "should" have been drafted where Campbell was, as described below, is mularkey.
Washington RedskinsCarlos Rogers, CB, AuburnOriginal pick: Jason Campbell, QB, AuburnPassing on Campbell might some day look like a mistake from our vantage point, but it doesn't today and here's why: With Joe Gibbs not long for the NFL in his second go-round of coaching, the Redskins are built to win now. And for now, they have plenty of quarterbacking with the resurgent Mark Brunell and the still youthful Patrick Ramsey. We give them Rogers 16 spots lower than they selected him and say use a mid-round pick on Orton or Frye.

i agree with everything you said...

marshall played well in filling the void of pierce's departure (though he is no thurman, or tatupu for that matter... long term)... & count me in the category of those that think rogers is a future star (i had him ahead of pacman in 2005 pre-season IDP rookie DB coverage... i would now put him ahead of CB2 marlin jackson... who i liked for scheme reasons in IDP leagues... & he has a chance to be as good or better than antrel rolle for #1 CB in class) & his debut season flashed serious potential, when he was healthy (not often)...

good point about the great fit for a pressure defense... whatever gibbs & williams have been doing past two seasons in draft & coaching... it has worked extremely well on the defensive side of the ball... they have been near the top in that span...

the sean taylor pick was great two drafts ago, too (if he doesn't go to prison... he may have had some character red flags, but that would have been hard to predict... & they could have landed kellen "rocket man" winslow instead, who many scouts thought was the best overall prospect in the entire draft, & maybe the best TE prospect in league history... where would they be then? :) )...

as good as rogers is, if merriman becomes one of the top impact defenders in the NFL, it might be possible to retroactively say that would have been a strong value pick at that slot as well...

Dallas Cowboys

MIKE NUGENT, K, Ohio State

Original pick: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU

On our board, Spears is still available, and it's not likely that Bill Parcells would pass on pass-rushing defensive end in order to take a kicker in the first round. But then again, after making four kicking changes this season since training camp, maybe he would. Nugent has been a very solid 19 of 24 on field goals for the Jets, and that's kicking in the tricky winds of the Meadowlands half the time.

:excited:

Not too sure about that pick for Dallas.

The Jets wound up with Nugent / Jolley and Justin Miller in the 1st two rounds so, It wasn't nearly as bad as some say it was when they say "The Jets traded a 1st round pick for Jolley"....

Interesting to see an "expert" still pick Nugent in round 1 though - Much higher than he actually went.

Dallas Cowboys

MIKE NUGENT, K, Ohio State

Original pick: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU

On our board, Spears is still available, and it's not likely that Bill Parcells would pass on pass-rushing defensive end in order to take a kicker in the first round. But then again, after making four kicking changes this season since training camp, maybe he would. Nugent has been a very solid 19 of 24 on field goals for the Jets, and that's kicking in the tricky winds of the Meadowlands half the time.

:excited:

Not too sure about that pick for Dallas.

The Jets wound up with Nugent / Jolley and Justin Miller in the 1st two rounds so, It wasn't nearly as bad as some say it was when they say "The Jets traded a 1st round pick for Jolley"....

Interesting to see an "expert" still pick Nugent in round 1 though - Much higher than he actually went.
Jerry Jones in today's paper said that the 'Boys were going to get an experienced kicker for 06, but it wasn't going to be an expensive one. PK's are not a huge concearn for Dallas, thus why would they pick one even with the 5th round selection?As far as selecting an RB high, haven't you guys been awake enough to see the trend towards the O-line and away from the big bucks for runners? Seattle's, Denvers and Atlanta's line were the reason they had huge rushing numbers.

Heh, this brings back memories of me trying to tell everyone that Denver was trading up for Williams, and NOT a RB and being called an idiot in 100 different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread