What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for draft strategy advice in a SuperFlex Auction League (1 Viewer)

jborn34

Footballguy
I have an auction draft coming up in a couple of weeks for a SuperFlex league and trying to formulate a draft strategy to end up with a winning team! This is the first year this league will have a SuperFlex and the second year for the auction.  Last year I made a splash on David Johnson and guessed right, I lost in the first round of the playoffs, but I believe would have won if I pulled off that first round game.  The eventual winner didn't go for a big slash, and most of the playoff teams didn't make big purchase.

Roster slots are 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DEF, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 1RB/WR/TE starting 11 players and 8 bench spots

12 team league PPR scoring with bonuses for large games 300 or 400 yards passing, 100 or 200 yards rushing or receiving. 4for a passed TD, 6 for a rushing or passing TD.  1 point for 20 yards throwing, 1 point for 10 yards rushing or receiving. 1 point per reception. 

I'm currently looking at breaking down my spending something like this:

QB $31 or 12.4%

RB1 $51 or 20.4%

RB2 $21 or 8.4%

WR1 $51 or 20.4%

WR2 $21 or 8.4%

WR3 $14 or 5.6%

TE $12 or 4.8%

SuperFlex $15 or 6%

Flex $11 or 4.4%

Bench 1 6 or 2.4%

Bench 2 4 or 1.6%

Bench 3 4 or 1.6%

Bench 4 2 or .8%

Bench 5 2 or .8%

Bench 6 - 8 1 or .4%

I'm curious about everyones thoughts on this breakdown and if you think I'll be caught without a 3rd starting QB (Important for a couple of bye weeks or injury)  Do I go bigger for Bench 1 because of that?

Not everyone will get 2 high quality starting QBs, some teams will only have two QBs since a 12 team league doesn't have enough starting QBs to give everyone three QBs

I like the fact that your trying to figure this all out, but when the draft starts these numbers wont be helpful, u need to be fluid in your draft, instead of breaking it down by RB1/2 wr1/2/3 ect,  do this  starting WR's 86ish$,  RB  72ish$, don't be afraid to deviate, spending a few extra $ on brown is usually worth it, your better of over spending on good starters and starving your bench.  also note QB's will cost more and are rarer so grabbing 3 is usually a good idea, but u don't need 3 high end starters  sure arob and brady would be great but ur RB/WR will be crap if u get them, and they wont put up that many more points then a cousins/Dalton/rivers mix and u will probably save  30%, I guess what I'm saying is, try to identify what they are giving u in the draft and take that on the cheap, also with the big game bonus's top end players and boom/bust will be more  useful, think ted gin, 2 catches for 100 yards are easily possible.

as for the losing in roudn1 of the playoffs, all you can  do is make it to the dance fantasy football has just as much luck as it dose skill, make it to the playoffs and u had a good year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that you're budgeting every starting position.  I would just check to see if it's the optimal way to construct your team.  I think that just budgeting for a position in general isn't specific enough and you could end up spending too much on one player.  So I disagree with burnall on that.

However, I agree with him that you will need to be fluid in the draft.  Superflex auctions are very tricky since QBs go for much more than usual.  But that means that RBs/WRs/TEs will go for less.

That said, I think that you're not allocating enough at QB.  Remember in a superflex snake draft, usually 2-3 QBs will go in the first round, and they will be priced in the 40s/50s given your 250 cap.  $31 will likely get you a QB in the QB12 range, and $15 will probably get you a QB like Alex Smith.  You really don't want to go into the season with, say a Dak Prescott/Alex Smith combo at QB, it will pretty much be one of the worst in the league.  Also it's a big advantage to have 3 starting QBs, and you're right in a 12 team superflex, not all will have that.

So I would allocate about $30 more to QBs and get a decent QB1 like Mariota, and better QB2 like Stafford,and a QB3 like Smith or Cutler.  Which means you will have to figure out where to cut at RB/WR/TE.  Your RB1 budget will get you a nice RB1 but not DJ or Bell, and your WR1 budget will get you a top 5 WR.  If you want both of these, then you will have to minor cuts your RB2, WR2, WR3, TE and Flex to make it work.  Just knock them down $6 each.

Don't worry about the dropoff from these spots.  You're drafting a very good RB1 and a stud WR1, along with a good QB combo plus a reserve.  Just remember that QBs are a much hotter commodity on a trade market in superflex leagues.  So when Andrew Luck goes down, you can dangle your QB3 to his owner and get an nice upgrade elsewhere. 

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread