What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for the best biography/autobiography books for vacation (1 Viewer)

Binky The Doormat

Footballguy
Going to be a lot of beach lounging and plane travel - and I love autobiographies/biographies ...and/or "behind the scenes stuff". 

Primarily interested in sports, tv/movie industry, rock music topics. 

I currently have "You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again", a behind the scenes of the movie deal making business and "Woke Up This Morning" - another behind the scenes on the making of the Sopranos show. 

Got any recommendations for me?  I am looking for at 4 or 5 more.

TIA

Cobb by Al Stump. Supposedly a great new journalism book about Ty Cobb during his career and after. 

Lots of people calling it fiction in the reviews. 

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe is an excellent piece along similar lines. It's book-length, and it captures the space race when it first started by providing extensive background on the guys who made up the program. I read it drunk in D.C. in my twenties. I loved it then, so you might appreciate it more than I do, even. 

Can’t Hurt Me by ex-Marine David Goggins was an excellent read. This dude is an absolute maniac. 

Heard about him in another book that was also a funny read that I would recommend - Living With a Seal about a rich guy who paid a maniac Navy Seal to live with him and train him for a couple months. That Seal was the aforementioned David Goggins. 

Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential was a good read (I read this one on vacay).

This sounds nuts but the last autobiography I read was Seth Rogan’s Yearbook was very funny and a good read. I read this book in just a couple days and usually take much longer to get through things. 

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd kitchen confidential although preferred the audio book.  Shoe dog about phil knight.    Greenlights audio book.    Elon musk biography.   Andre agassi auto called open.   

Up Till Now: The Autobiography by William Shatner. 

This is an extremely entertaining read. 

Scoreboard, Baby: A Story of College Football, Crime, and Complicity by Ken Armstrong and Nick Perry. 

A fascinating read about how big time college football functions within a community.  

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown

You’re probably familiar with this one. This is inspiring. 

Going to be a lot of beach lounging and plane travel - and I love autobiographies/biographies ...and/or "behind the scenes stuff". 

Primarily interested in sports, tv/movie industry, rock music topics. 

I currently have "You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again", a behind the scenes of the movie deal making business and "Woke Up This Morning" - another behind the scenes on the making of the Sopranos show. 

Got any recommendations for me?  I am looking for at 4 or 5 more.

TIA
You may have already read this one, but the autobiography The Real Frank Zappa is a great, easy read.

Scoreboard, Baby: A Story of College Football, Crime, and Complicity by Ken Armstrong and Nick Perry. 

A fascinating read about how big time college football functions within a community.  

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown

awesome! these look great!  

thanks!

Cobb by Al Stump. Supposedly a great new journalism book about Ty Cobb during his career and after. 

Lots of people calling it fiction in the reviews. 

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe is an excellent piece along similar lines. It's book-length, and it captures the space race when it first started by providing extensive background on the guys who made up the program. I read it drunk in D.C. in my twenties. I loved it then, so you might appreciate it more than I do, even. 

thanks man!

2nd kitchen confidential although preferred the audio book.  Shoe dog about phil knight.    Greenlights audio book.    Elon musk biography.   Andre agassi auto called open.   
 you guys are nailing this!

I have the Agassi and both Confidential books - I loved them.  Been looking at the Phil Knight book as well.  

I’ll check out Scoreboard, thanks.

The Dirt - the Motley Crue one.  just great from the first chapter til the end and I'm not even a huge Crue fan. Ozzy one is also pretty good. 

I'll second that Wright Brothers one.  Not exactly in the fields you asked for, but just an interesting and well told story. 

Users who are viewing this thread