What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking more and more like Trump vs Biden again (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I’m going to guess that the majority of Americans, perhaps the vast majority, don’t want this matchup. I know I don’t. I think Biden’s done a good job but it’s time to move on. As for Trump it’s a disgrace to this country that he could be, most likely will be, the Republican nominee. But of course I thought that the first couple of times.

Anyhow, it sure looks like here we go again!

I’m going to guess that the majority of Americans, perhaps the vast majority, don’t want this matchup. I know I don’t. I think Biden’s done a good job but it’s time to move on. As for Trump it’s a disgrace to this country that he could be, most likely will be, the Republican nominee. But of course I thought that the first couple of times.

I know it won't happen but it really would be better if the coverage of the next Presidential election would concentrate on the policy positions of the candidates instead of the latest poll results.

I'd be shocked if Biden ran again. Even if he does, I could see there being primary opposition that beats him. Won't be able to hide in his basement two elections in a row.

I know it won't happen but it really would be better if the coverage of the next Presidential election would concentrate on the policy positions of the candidates instead of the latest poll results.
i don't believe one candidate has any policy positions beyond "whims of 76 year old billionaire"

It was always going to be Trump. He owns the GOP and has since he came down the elevator. Desantis wants no part of rolling around in the mud with Trump and can just run in 2028. He is still young.

Doubt Biden makes it to 2024 and he should honestly step aside.

edit to add: I mean from a mental acuity standpoint. There are serious signs manifesting now and I would bet the country is being run by technocrats. Which, for four years, was a small price to pay to get a wanna autocrat out of the Oval. But they need to run a real candidate in 2024.

I'd be shocked if Biden ran again. Even if he does, I could see there being primary opposition that beats him. Won't be able to hide in his basement two elections in a row.
There won’t be. Here’s the key to my thinking:

1. If Trump runs again, Biden will run again.

2. On both sides nobody will challenge them. Not DeSantis on the Republican side, not some AOC type on the Democratic side. It won’t happen, because nobody will want to be blamed for weakening their side so that the other side wins.

That’s why it’s likely to be Trump vs Biden again.

I also think Biden will step aside around late November next year.

Don is the Republicans problem, crazy to me that he could win again but if the rest of the field turn into his lap cats because of this stranglehold he has on like 25% of their base then I guess we get him again.

Your point that Biden would feel compelled to run again against him I don't think works this time, I do wonder if another moderate will step forward as an AOC or Bernie type would make for an insane race.

If Biden steps aside, I don't see how its not Kamala cuz if its not her they are going to alienate a large section of females and a huge section of african americans

she would have to choose to step aside - and I am not sure she will

It just makes me happy that Tim made this prediction. I now feel confident that it will not be Trump v. Biden.
Thanks. Just to put a little fear into you, I did predict that Biden would win the nomination last time when most people thought he was finished. Hey even a broken clock, right? But I hope I got this wrong.

Trump ain't going to be the GOP nominee. Lots of you have to convince yourself of that because Biden is so bad, but it ain't going to be him no matter how much you need or want him to be.

DeSantis, most likely. He's got my vote so far, but the GOP field hasn't been really formed yet so we'll see if he can hold on to it.

Last edited:
Trump ain't going to be the GOP nominee. Lots of you have to convince yourself of that because Biden is so bad, but it ain't going to be him no matter how much you need or want him to be.

DeSantis, most likely. He's got my vote so far, but the GOP field hasn't been really formed yet so we'll see if he can hold on to it.

I tend to agree with you. Trump will need the Rs to take the Senate to have a chance.

I would like to see someone else end up as the Dem candidate. But, I think if Biden can still run then he will.
I believe he will win again if it's against Trump. If it's against DeSantis, sadly I think Biden would lose.

Here are some of the options we have if Biden steps aside (in no particular order):
  • Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear

I think Liz Cheney’s going to run in the Republican primaries and just attack dog Trump the entire time and it will be fun.
She very well may. I've rarely ever agreed with Liz Cheney and wouldn't vote for her other than anything but an executive position at Haliburton. But she's a tough woman, I'll give her that.

I think Liz Cheney’s going to run in the Republican primaries and just attack dog Trump the entire time and it will be fun.
She very well may. I've rarely ever agreed with Liz Cheney and wouldn't vote for her other than anything but an executive position at Haliburton. But she's a tough woman, I'll give her that.
I thought you were a traditional conservative? Isn't that Liz Chaney's politics?

I thought you were a traditional conservative? Isn't that Liz Chaney's politics?
Conservative fiscally, not so much socially. I voted for both BIll Clinton and Al Gore. I was no fan of Bush/Cheney and the disaster in Iraq, I still hold them responsible for that and the fallout both in foreign policy and in debt runup. Cheney is way to the right of me on social issues and I'd argue to the left of me fiscally over the foreign wars/entaglements. I just don't have anything left in common though with the modern Democratic Party.

Agreed, lining up nicely for Desantis as those still melting down over Trump are preoccupied….still.

Conservative fiscally, not so much socially. I voted for both BIll Clinton and Al Gore. I was no fan of Bush/Cheney and the disaster in Iraq, I still hold them responsible for that and the fallout both in foreign policy and in debt runup. Cheney is way to the right of me on social issues and I'd argue to the left of me fiscally over the foreign wars/entaglements. I just don't have anything left in common though with the modern Democratic Party.

What about the principle that no man is above the law? Or that democracy is good?

Because whatever you may think of fiscal policy or social issues, those are the only two issues on the ballot until Trump has left. It doesn't matter what any of us think of taxes or NATO or trade policy or gay marriage or CRT or literally anything else if we don't have the ability to shape our government based on our collective preferences.

I would like to see someone else end up as the Dem candidate. But, I think if Biden can still run then he will.
I believe he will win again if it's against Trump. If it's against DeSantis, sadly I think Biden would lose.

Here are some of the options we have if Biden steps aside (in no particular order):
  • Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear

Jon Stewart
Sherrod Brown
JB Pritzker

• Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear

Jon Stewart
Sherrod Brown
JB Pritzker
I would love to see Jon Stewart run but he won't. Unless you're talking about this guy.

Today’s Vegas odds:

US Presidential Election 2024 Winner​

Show More
  • Ron DeSantis+265
  • Donald Trump Sr.+275
  • Joe Biden +675

Today’s Vegas odds:

US Presidential Election 2024 Winner​

Show More
  • Ron DeSantis+265
  • Donald Trump Sr.+275
  • Joe Biden +675
These are basically polling numbers that Republicans hate and don't trust. They only trust TV ratings numbers and crowd size appearance. Everyone knows that a large crowd means you're winning. :bored:

Neither will be running when the time comes

Trump will end up cutting a deal where he gets a walk if he never runs again

Biden imo isn’t always sure where he is now let alone 2.5 years from now

• Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear
The only one that's palatable from that list is Pete. (Except maybe Beshear - I don't even know who he is.)

My prediction right now would be Pete vs. DeSantis.

What about the principle that no man is above the law? Or that democracy is good?

Because whatever you may think of fiscal policy or social issues, those are the only two issues on the ballot until Trump has left. It doesn't matter what any of us think of taxes or NATO or trade policy or gay marriage or CRT or literally anything else if we don't have the ability to shape our government based on our collective preferences.
You can look at it as the only issue on the ballot, that's your right, I don't see it that way. He's also not been convicted of a crime. We will see if he is, and if he is and they have the evidence then so be it. I'm not married to Donald Trump so I'm not going to get too upset one way or the other, but the whole thing has reminded me of the old cartoons where this time Wile E Coyote is just sure he's going to get the Road Runner. I'd assume Garland has the goods on him to order this, but after what we've been through the last 6 or so years I'm not sure of anything like that anymore.

Assuming Trump runs, what would be worse for the GOP:

1. Trump wins and is the GOP nominee.
2. Trump loses, goes scorched earth and runs on a 3rd party ticket.

The hope is that he goes away quietly (something nearly everyone can probably agree on), before doing any damage, but that just doesn't seem like his personality. Maybe the party can offer him something. It seems like a difficult and delicate situation to say the least.

There won’t be. Here’s the key to my thinking:

1. If Trump runs again, Biden will run again.

2. On both sides nobody will challenge them. Not DeSantis on the Republican side, not some AOC type on the Democratic side. It won’t happen, because nobody will want to be blamed for weakening their side so that the other side wins.

That’s why it’s likely to be Trump vs Biden again.

I 100% promise Biden won't run in 2024

He simply isn't mentally capable

I don't know that Biden will be the Dem nominee. But I do think his odds are massively undervalued at this point. Back in 2019, he said he was thinking of running because he believed he was the only Democrat who could defeat Trump. At the time, I thought that was ridiculous. But by Election Day, I had to concede he was right. No way Warren or Bernie or Kamala or Klobuchar could have won that race.

Something similar may happen in 2024. Particularly if it appears Trump will be the nominee, I think Biden will feel compelled to stick around and finish the job. If Trump doesn't run or is in jail or whatever and it looks like DeSantis, then I don't know. But even then, I think there's a good chance he runs because a) dropping out will make his presidency look like a failure a la LBJ, and b) who else is there?

• Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear

Jon Stewart
Sherrod Brown
JB Pritzker
Sherrod is my guy!

I also don't know why Michael Bennet from CO or Tim Ryan Ohio couldn't gain traction.

Assuming Trump runs, what would be worse for the GOP:

1. Trump wins and is the GOP nominee.
2. Trump loses, goes scorched earth and runs on a 3rd party ticket.

The hope is that he goes away quietly (something nearly everyone can probably agree on), before doing any damage, but that just doesn't seem like his personality. Maybe the party can offer him something. It seems like a difficult and delicate situation to say the least.
Option 1 is worse for the party.

Users who are viewing this thread