What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking more and more like Trump vs Biden again (1 Viewer)

I don't know that Biden will be the Dem nominee. But I do think his odds are massively undervalued at this point. Back in 2019, he said he was thinking of running because he believed he was the only Democrat who could defeat Trump. At the time, I thought that was ridiculous. But by Election Day, I had to concede he was right. No way Warren or Bernie or Kamala or Klobuchar could have won that race.

Something similar may happen in 2024. Particularly if it appears Trump will be the nominee, I think Biden will feel compelled to stick around and finish the job. If Trump doesn't run or is in jail or whatever and it looks like DeSantis, then I don't know. But even then, I think there's a good chance he runs because a) dropping out will make his presidency look like a failure a la LBJ, and b) who else is there?

While I get that, there’s always the possibility that Biden runs again, wins and Trump runs in 2028. Hell, it just dawned on me that Trump may prefer to lose (while claiming he won) to keep grifting without doing any work. He could run until he can’t.

I don't know that Biden will be the Dem nominee. But I do think his odds are massively undervalued at this point. Back in 2019, he said he was thinking of running because he believed he was the only Democrat who could defeat Trump. At the time, I thought that was ridiculous. But by Election Day, I had to concede he was right. No way Warren or Bernie or Kamala or Klobuchar could have won that race.

Something similar may happen in 2024. Particularly if it appears Trump will be the nominee, I think Biden will feel compelled to stick around and finish the job. If Trump doesn't run or is in jail or whatever and it looks like DeSantis, then I don't know. But even then, I think there's a good chance he runs because a) dropping out will make his presidency look like a failure a la LBJ, and b) who else is there?

While I get that, there’s always the possibility that Biden runs again, wins and Trump runs in 2028. Hell, it just dawned on me that Trump may prefer to lose (while claiming he won) to keep grifting without doing any work. He could run until he can’t.
It's clearly folly to try to predict what Trump will do, but if he managed to lose two elections in a row (to Joe Biden, no less) I think even the MAGA die-hards would start to wonder if it might make sense to go with someone else

I’ll take any bet (within reason) that DeSantis does not run against trump in the primary.

I don’t know how anyone could look at 2022 and conclude anything other than Trump owns the GOP. If he is healthy, he runs unopposed.

Biden seems so beatable in the primary. Democratic voters are certainly looking for an alternative. The only way I could see Biden winning the nomination is if the Fed sticks the landing, inflation is back to normal and the economy is booming. Even then, I’m skeptical.

Biden seems so beatable in the primary. Democratic voters are certainly looking for an alternative. The only way I could see Biden winning the nomination is if the Fed sticks the landing, inflation is back to normal and the economy is booming. Even then, I’m skeptical.
Typically, incumbent presidents get the nomination for their party. So the question is, will someone actually challenge him in the primary? I think that depends on the things you mentioned and his perceived weakness or strength at the time.

And then there is this little factoid:
Since the advent of the modern primary election system in 1972, an incumbent president has never been defeated by a primary challenger, though every president who faced a strong primary challenge went on to be defeated in the general election.

So, if you are a party over country Republican then you have to hope that there is a strong challenger for Biden in the primaries and if you're a Democrat you can hope that this history will not repeat itself. We live in strange times and anything can happen.

What about the principle that no man is above the law? Or that democracy is good?

Because whatever you may think of fiscal policy or social issues, those are the only two issues on the ballot until Trump has left. It doesn't matter what any of us think of taxes or NATO or trade policy or gay marriage or CRT or literally anything else if we don't have the ability to shape our government based on our collective preferences.

Until I saw what you'd bolded, I figured you were trying to talk @Shula-holic into considering voting for Liz Cheney. In any case, I wholeheartedly agree with your post -- which is why I'd have no qualms about voting for Cheney in the general if she's the Republican nominee. (Which doesn't necessarily mean I'd prefer her over her opponent. I'd love to have an election in which I had no qualms about voting for either candidate, like in 2012.)

I’ll take any bet (within reason) that DeSantis does not run against trump in the primary.

I don’t know how anyone could look at 2022 and conclude anything other than Trump owns the GOP. If he is healthy, he runs unopposed.
I think he runs in 2024. If he waits out 2024 in hopes of a 2028 run, the backlash against another 4 years of Trump will guarantee a democrat wins in 2028.

Trump ain't going to be the GOP nominee. Lots of you have to convince yourself of that because Biden is so bad, but it ain't going to be him no matter how much you need or want him to be.

DeSantis, most likely. He's got my vote so far, but the GOP field hasn't been really formed yet so we'll see if he can hold on to it.
Truly hope you are right BR. As you know, I can’t stand either one (Trump or Biden) for different reasons.

I would like to see someone else end up as the Dem candidate. But, I think if Biden can still run then he will.
I believe he will win again if it's against Trump. If it's against DeSantis, sadly I think Biden would lose.

Here are some of the options we have if Biden steps aside (in no particular order):
  • Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear
Other than Kamala or AOC (who has nearly zero chance in a national election) I’d be fine with any of those over Biden.

I can’t see a scenario where Trump wins the R nomination.

I can’t help but wonder how his supporters would react to him losing again. Trump won’t go down easy. He’ll attack and claim fraud. It would be ugly. Will his supporters get past that and vote for the nominee? I’m not so sure. A lot will stay home on Election Day.

I can’t see a scenario where Trump wins the R nomination.

I can’t help but wonder how his supporters would react to him losing again. Trump won’t go down easy. He’ll attack and claim fraud. It would be ugly. Will his supporters get past that and vote for the nominee? I’m not so sure. A lot will stay home on Election Day.
He has only himself to blame. He can’t just bully his way to the presidency either: I’m pretty confident the majority don’t want that. There is always a lawyer that will take his case, but it’s a tired exercise that accomplishes nothing.

I would like to see someone else end up as the Dem candidate. But, I think if Biden can still run then he will.
I believe he will win again if it's against Trump. If it's against DeSantis, sadly I think Biden would lose.

Here are some of the options we have if Biden steps aside (in no particular order):
  • Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear
The only one that's palatable from that list is Pete. (Except maybe Beshear - I don't even know who he is.)

• Kamala Harris
  • Pete Buttigieg
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Gavin Newsome
  • Gretchen Whitmer
  • Roy Cooper
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • AOC
  • Cory Booker
  • Andy Beshear
The only one that's palatable from that list is Pete. (Except maybe Beshear - I don't even know who he is.)

Andy Beshear is the governor of Kentucky. He was an excellent voice of empathy and leadership in the early months of the pandemic.
Before he was governor, he was the attorney general for Kentucky. And while it is seriously impressive for a Democrat to win two statewide races in Kentucky, I doubt he becomes a national figure.

I'm surprised at the number of people saying they don't think DeSantis will run. DeSantis is absolutely running. Public opinion is fickle. You don't just set it aside for 4 years while you're popular in your party and have a good chance of becoming president, and hope that it will still be the same 4 years later. He already takes some pot shots at Trump. He's positioned himself well as the guy that will fulfill all the MAGA crowds wet dreams of pwning the libs, but without the part where he'd burn his own country and everyone close to him to the ground to make his own life a tiny bit easier.

I'll throw a hundy on this. Call it a push if Trump doesn't run (since the bet is whether DeSantis would run against Trump)?

I don't think Biden is finishing his first term. If you go back and look at the debates and look at him now, the decline is pretty clear.

I'm surprised at the number of people saying they don't think DeSantis will run. DeSantis is absolutely running. Public opinion is fickle. You don't just set it aside for 4 years while you're popular in your party and have a good chance of becoming president, and hope that it will still be the same 4 years later. He already takes some pot shots at Trump. He's positioned himself well as the guy that will fulfill all the MAGA crowds wet dreams of pwning the libs, but without the part where he'd burn his own country and everyone close to him to the ground to make his own life a tiny bit easier.
I thought the only read concern was his wife’s health, isn’t she sick?

He has only himself to blame. He can’t just bully his way to the presidency either: I’m pretty confident the majority don’t want that. There is always a lawyer that will take his case, but it’s a tired exercise that accomplishes nothing.

They seem to keep getting disbarred, though. At some point the supply may run out.

They seem to keep getting disbarred, though. At some point the supply may run out.
Yeah America is famous for not having very many lawyers.

We need some more political parties, Trump v Biden really leaves no one with any sane choice. I mean, we can’t do any better as a nation than a pair of 80 year olds?

We need some more political parties, Trump v Biden really leaves no one with any sane choice. I mean, we can’t do any better as a nation than a pair of 80 year olds?
They say people get the leaders they deserve. Of course they say a lot of things.
This country has a weird history of electing dead people and celebrities. That could be the national slogan for 2024.

They say people get the leaders they deserve. Of course they say a lot of things.
This country has a weird history of electing dead people and celebrities. That could be the national slogan for 2024.
Joe Biden would be proof of that. I'm not convinced this isn't a Weekend at Biden's situation we have going on here in this term. It certainly feels like someone else is running the show and just pushing Biden out every now and then to make it look legit.

Joe Biden would be proof of that. I'm not convinced this isn't a Weekend at Biden's situation we have going on here in this term. It certainly feels like someone else is running the show and just pushing Biden out every now and then to make it look legit.
His mouth seems to move. But they could have their hands in his back for all we know.

Users who are viewing this thread