What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lost a FF brother this week (1 Viewer)

Ripleys

Footballguy
I know this is off topic, but I wanted to post here anyway. This week we lost a FF brother in one of my dynasty leagues. His handle was Dadof5, and yes, he was a father of 5 kids. He went in for surgery on his knee, and died from complications. :kicksrock: Life can be so cruel sometimes. Guys, love your family, because we are never guaranteed anything.

RIP Jim

Wow, that is shocking. I wish his family all the best of luck in the upcoming years, especially in these tough times.

RIP Jim

Tragic.

My condolences to his family and your league.

Perhaps you could honor him by naming the league or your championship trophy in his honor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is off topic, but I wanted to post here anyway. This week we lost a FF brother in one of my dynasty leagues. His handle was Dadof5, and yes, he was a father of 5 kids. He went in for surgery on his knee, and died from complications. :confused: Life can be so cruel sometimes. Guys, love your family, because we are never guaranteed anything. RIP Jim
Sorry. I lost my fiance 2 months ago to liver failure. I will pray for the family.
I am very sorry to those who cared about these people. Hospitals scare the bejeebees out of me, esp nowdays (complications on KNEE surgery?).

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to post here anyway. This week we lost a FF brother in one of my dynasty leagues. His handle was Dadof5, and yes, he was a father of 5 kids. He went in for surgery on his knee, and died from complications. :confused: Life can be so cruel sometimes. Guys, love your family, because we are never guaranteed anything. RIP Jim
Sorry. I lost my fiance 2 months ago to liver failure. I will pray for the family.
I am very sorry to those who cared about these people. Hospitals scare the bejeebees out of me, esp nowdays (complications on KNEE surgery?).
What a tragic loss for the family. I can't imagine the sadness and confusion those por kids felt.

Wow that's too bad. I'm so sorry to hear it. :yes: Unfortunately it takes something like this to remind us all how fragile life really is and to cherish every moment. Prayers go out to all

Ripleys,

Was he from Iowa? Did he used to post at antsports message board with the same name as well? I think I know him and he was always a nice guy. Very sorry to hear the news. Hope his family is coping as well as someone can in that situation.

Horrible circumstance behind his death. I lost a cousin a few years ago from complications of a broken ankle of all things.

Ripleys,Was he from Iowa? Did he used to post at antsports message board with the same name as well? I think I know him and he was always a nice guy. Very sorry to hear the news. Hope his family is coping as well as someone can in that situation.
Yep, same guy. ALWAYS a super guy nice guy, and great FF owner. Never made any insulting offers, and was never once rude to any other owner. I know this sounds bad, but I pray he either has a HUGE insurance policy to take care of his spouse and kids, or they sue the you know what out of the surgeon who did this surgery. I mean, how the FUDGE does someone die from knee surgery? I'm still sick about this. :thumbup:

Sorry for your loss.What happens to his fantasy team now?
Wrote to his brother-in-law, who informed us of this horrible news. One of those emails I hated to write, as it seems so insignificant in light of what his family is going through. Sometimes being a commish sucks. But if his B.I.L. wants to manage the team in his honor, than of course we want him to. If not, we'll find another owner, but it won't be the same. We have renamed the league in his honor, and I plan on giving money to the memorial fund they are setting up. If anyone else wants to do the same, feel free to PM me, and when I get more info, I'll pass it along.

Thanks for posting this - we can never be reminded enough of the important things in life. I seriously cannot believe that he died in knee surgery... my mother in law had knee replacement recently, and I couldn't have fathomed something like that.

Wow. Surre brings things back into perspective. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear, and also for your fiancee, Ballstein, and cousin azgrover.

Sometimes it makes no sense.

Ripleys,Was he from Iowa? Did he used to post at antsports message board with the same name as well? I think I know him and he was always a nice guy. Very sorry to hear the news. Hope his family is coping as well as someone can in that situation.
Yep, same guy. ALWAYS a super guy nice guy, and great FF owner. Never made any insulting offers, and was never once rude to any other owner. I know this sounds bad, but I pray he either has a HUGE insurance policy to take care of his spouse and kids, or they sue the you know what out of the surgeon who did this surgery. I mean, how the FUDGE does someone die from knee surgery? I'm still sick about this. :goodposting:
Yeah I knew him a little. Very nice guy. This news really bums me out.

Yep, same guy. ALWAYS a super guy nice guy, and great FF owner. Never made any insulting offers, and was never once rude to any other owner. I know this sounds bad, but I pray he either has a HUGE insurance policy to take care of his spouse and kids, or they sue the you know what out of the surgeon who did this surgery. I mean, how the FUDGE does someone die from knee surgery? I'm still sick about this. :thumbup:
Everyone's body reacts different to medication and surgery. The surgeon was trying to help this guy. 99.9% of the time it is not the fault of the surgeon.

That is so sad. I have and will pray for him as well as the others mentioned above.

RIP to all of them as the others we all know.

Best of luck to all of you this week.

Yep, same guy. ALWAYS a super guy nice guy, and great FF owner. Never made any insulting offers, and was never once rude to any other owner. I know this sounds bad, but I pray he either has a HUGE insurance policy to take care of his spouse and kids, or they sue the you know what out of the surgeon who did this surgery. I mean, how the FUDGE does someone die from knee surgery? I'm still sick about this. :bye:
Everyone's body reacts different to medication and surgery. The surgeon was trying to help this guy. 99.9% of the time it is not the fault of the surgeon.
Happens more than you think. There's rarely a cardiologist in the room when you're getting bone/joint surgery. You get sick while on the anesthesia, your lungs fill up and you go into cardiac arrest. Not the fault of the doctor but the hospitals sure skimp nowadays. My Mom was in for an ankle.

BigRed said:
Ripleys said:
I know this is off topic, but I wanted to post here anyway. This week we lost a FF brother in one of my dynasty leagues. His handle was Dadof5, and yes, he was a father of 5 kids. He went in for surgery on his knee, and died from complications. :bye: Life can be so cruel sometimes. Guys, love your family, because we are never guaranteed anything. RIP Jim
Ballstein said:
sadly yeah, even knee surgery can go wrong.that sad to here. But society has kind of "trivialized" "minor" surgery. When you go under the knife, and anesthesia, there is always a risk of complications. That said, If I were the widow, I 'd be calling a reputable med mal lawyer to investigate if only because of the 5 kids.

Wrote to his brother-in-law, who informed us of this horrible news. One of those emails I hated to write, as it seems so insignificant in light of what his family is going through. Sometimes being a commish sucks. But if his B.I.L. wants to manage the team in his honor, than of course we want him to. If not, we'll find another owner, but it won't be the same. We have renamed the league in his honor, and I plan on giving money to the memorial fund they are setting up. If anyone else wants to do the same, feel free to PM me, and when I get more info, I'll pass it along.
You guys are doing the right thing. Even better yet, seek out a bank to set up a fund for them, and publicly donate it, as that will likely encourage others to do the same. You'll all feel better about this that any flatscreen the kitty would bring.

what site did you use? If you directly contact the site, I bet they'd put a link on their homepage, send an email or something. I bet Joe and Co here would do that.

Well his B.I.L told me he developed a blood clot which traveled to his lungs. That is what killed him. Thanks for the kind words everyone. For those that are spiritual, please do pray for his family this weekend.

I had the pleasure of playing with Jim in this league and another dynasty league. He will be missed. Always a great guy and great owner.

RIP Jim.

"Suddenly you were gone

From all the lives you left your mark upon".

Neil Peart 1984

5 kids and a wife......man that really is terrible.

On a side note, I find it interesting that people are urging a lawsuit not knowing anything about the procedure, the history, the cirumstances, and the diagnosis.

Sometimes bad things happen and it's no ones fault.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Thanks for a reminder that there are much more important things to think about than FF.

My thoughts are with his family. They have hard times ahead and will need all the support family and friends can give. It is a small thing, but when my brother passed a few years back (member# 273 from my sig), I printed off the well wishes of his FF friends from this board and gave it to his widow and children. I don't know if it made much difference other than to make certain they know that he had friends they might not even be aware of that will miss his presence.

I'm sorry for their loss.

Horrible story -- thoughts and prayers for his family.

Geez -- how does someone go in for knee surgery and not come out alive? :hot:

BigRed said:
Ripleys said:
I know this is off topic, but I wanted to post here anyway. This week we lost a FF brother in one of my dynasty leagues. His handle was Dadof5, and yes, he was a father of 5 kids. He went in for surgery on his knee, and died from complications. :goodposting: Life can be so cruel sometimes. Guys, love your family, because we are never guaranteed anything. RIP Jim
Ballstein said:
I have had both knees operated on and you never think of what can happen. My condolences to the family.

Man - think of all the surgeries you read about in football without batting an eye - shocked this hasn't happened to a pro athlete with all the surgeries -

awful to hear - especially the wife and kids -

we have an owner in our league who has leukemia and it does not look good - he had his buddy help him with his team as he can't manage it even weekly. Its really a tough situation - good luck.

A few years back this happened in my league... a truly painful experience to say the least.

My sincere condolences to his family and your leaguemates.

Sorry for your loss.

I understand the feeling of wanting to blame (sue) someone but it likely wasn't anyone's fault as many others have said. My sister had her gall bladder removed on on my birthday a few years back and died the next day. She was a single mom and left behind a 3 year old daughter. :lmao:

5 kids and a wife......man that really is terrible.On a side note, I find it interesting that people are urging a lawsuit not knowing anything about the procedure, the history, the cirumstances, and the diagnosis. Sometimes bad things happen and it's no ones fault.
don't want to hijack, but any time some dies in a medical procedure you should at least investigate things with a competent professional. You owe that to the 5 kids.

Users who are viewing this thread