What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

luck owners....I think its time to panic (1 Viewer)

BWill said:
Trent WILL bounce back next year! I cant wait to see him pissed heading into the offseason, coming into 2014 HUNGRY to succeed. That mid season trade was SO unexpected (coming from a Clevelander) But last year, his highlight reel was VERY impressive, knowing the line he was running behind. Hopefully an offseason is what it takes to give him what he needs to get in sync with the Indy offense
I can't believe people are still on this train.

domvin said:
Indy wants to be a smashmouth team......the personnel doesnt fit. Trich has played poorly, their o line sucks. Need to adapt to their personnel, not the other way around.
Agree. Wayne was such a huge loss so I can give a quarter there but overall it just makes absolutely no sense at all to try to be something that is counter to what your strenght is. There is a reason that some teams that rely on the strenght of Rodgers and Brees and Brady perform the way they do.

This is, to me, akin to when teams try to mak the switch from the 4-3 to 3-4 and they don't have the athletes to support it and they fail miserably. Everyone knows why and then you see the team go out and draft all these support pieces but the growing pain is terrible.

But in a case like this, WHY do you want to be a smash mouth team when you have the best QB prospect, arguably, since Peyton Manning? Why are they so dead set on emphasizing their weaknesses?

Andy Dufresne said:
donkshow said:
I could see Luck being an elite NFL QB, but not the greatest fantasy QB by comparison.
He's starting to get a Troy Aikman vibe about him.
Unless something crazy happens in the next month, if the Luck owner is talking like the above in your dynasty league, buy now. It's your last chance.

Sophomore QB mining through a season with a poor o line, run game, and the only WR's with > 1 year of experience are on IR and can't catch the ball.

I knew Wayne meant a lot to this offense - more than most believed, but it was even more than I imagined.

His career is going to be littered with 300/3 games and he runs too. You want that on your team.

Rolled with McCown this week. Guy has been awful for the last month. He won't see my lineup in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indys WRs are awful. Simply awful. Hilton dropped a pass and cost Luck a pick. DHB dropped 2, one that would have been a big gain. The oline is maybe worse and that is frightening.

Andy Dufresne said:
donkshow said:
I could see Luck being an elite NFL QB, but not the greatest fantasy QB by comparison.
Unless something crazy happens in the next month, if the Luck owner is talking like the above in your dynasty league, buy now. It's your last chance.

Sophomore QB mining through a season with a poor o line, run game, and the only WR's with > 1 year of experience are on IR and can't catch the ball.

I knew Wayne meant a lot to this offense - more than most believed, but it was even more than I imagined.

His career is going to be littered with 300/3 games and he runs too. You want that on your team.
To be clear, I think Luck has the kind of upside you're talking about here. But then, I think Aikman did too.

I'm trying to say that if Indy continues to try to do what they're doing in that offense that it will limit Lucks' chances.

Hopefully the Colts realize Hamilton is in over his head and bring in an NFL-level coordinator.

Lots of people seem to be bashing Hamilton and I'm not sure that's a very fair assessment. This team lost their #1 WR and TE. They already had holes on the oline and that seems to have gotten worse. Not surprising given Allen was a very good blocking TE as well as receiver. On top of that its clear defenses don't respect the Indy WRs and play them aggressively.

I think the loss of Allen was huge for this team, personally. Adding Wayne to that was crippling. Allen will be back next year. Wayne's future is a bit uncertain. I hope Indy is able to address oline in FA this offseason and WR via the draft. They have enormous needs at both.

Indys WRs are awful. Simply awful. Hilton dropped a pass and cost Luck a pick. DHB dropped 2, one that would have been a big gain. The oline is maybe worse and that is frightening.
This.

He does not have a safety blanket on this team. He used to rely and trust on Wayne to make the play and be where he is supposed to be. Ty Hilton has all sorts of electric play making ability but he is far from a WR 1 in the NFL. He is too small and not consistent enough or physical enough to get proper seperation on those big downs. DHB should not be a starting NFL WR. I cringe when the ball is thrown his way. I don't know how they continue to trot him out there to drop balls. Fleener finally looks to be developing a little which is nice, but he is not someone you can lean on yet at all. Brazil looked awful with increased snaps this week. Just an all around mess recieving the ball. The only guy that has WR 1 potential is Da'rick Rogers who joined the team late and is apparently not a quick study which seems to be holding him back. He did draw a 30 yard PI call yesterday on his extremely limited work. He was maybe out there a few times and that was the only time the ball was thrown his way.

On top of all that receiving mess you have an O line that is bottom 3 in the NFL, an offensive coordinator who is a rookie to the NFL game and appears clueless to make appropriate adjustments.

The beauty of being a below average team but having a guy like Luck on your team is he has that greatness about him and you can never count Indy out. Even with all odds stacked against him weekly this team is 8 and 4. Remember this is a team that has beat Denver and Seattle this year (although they still had Wayne). They have many holes that make this team one and done in the playoffs most likely but there are plenty of teams and franchises that would love to be sitting at 8 and 4 right now.

Luck is still a top 3 pick in all dynasty formats. There are brighter days ahead for him fantasy wise even this year, but I get how many would not be starting him for the rest of this year.

Rolled with McCown this week. Guy has been awful for the last month. He won't see my lineup in the playoffs.
EJ Manuel here. Undecided on next week. I started Manuel because I loved the matchup while Luck's wasn't all that great, despite Luck getting me to the playoffs this seemed like an easy decision...for one week.. EJ's matchup isn't as great next week, figured I'd be more comfortable with Luck since Cincy's D is down with the loss of Atkins and Hall, but they slowed down a pretty good Charges offense. Not as confident anymore.

It depends on the league, but Luck owner's still around may serve themselves well to scour waivers. A great matchup with a shaky QB may be the right play.

Luck is stuck:

- with a poor receiver corps, except for Hilton.

- no Allen.

- a susceptible offensive line.

- a defense that can be beat like a drum by the likes of the Rams' offense.

Andy Dufresne said:
donkshow said:

Luck is a primo, franchise QB, but the Colts' front office has to figure out the receiver issue for the future.

Was under the assumption that I was stuck with Luck, but just realized that Cutler was still out there on the WW and put a claim in. No way I can start him this week with the game on MNF, but I'll give him a long, hard look for Week 15. His schedule is marginally better than Luck's ROS (@CLE/@PHI vs Hou/@KC), and he clearly has better weapons, but it's still Jay Freakin' Cutler we're talking about.

Some guy in my league dropped rivers for mccown. Not sure what he's thinking but I am trying hard to pick him up. 12 out of 12 on the ww order though
I just caught a huge break.

I was able to pickup rivers off waivers. Can't believe he was dropped and also can't believe no one else picked him up. Am I missing something? Rivers looks like a much better option than luck going forward. Got a bye this week but Rivers is @ den and oak in weeks 15, 16 while luck has hou at home and kc on the road.

Anyone who has watched the colts the past few weeks knows how bad the offense has looked, sd ain't den or the the Saints but they are way better on offense than the Colts

Was under the assumption that I was stuck with Luck, but just realized that Cutler was still out there on the WW and put a claim in. No way I can start him this week with the game on MNF, but I'll give him a long, hard look for Week 15. His schedule is marginally better than Luck's ROS (@CLE/@PHI vs Hou/@KC), and he clearly has better weapons, but it's still Jay Freakin' Cutler we're talking about.
Cutler was my second choice if I did not get rivers. If he's playing, he's far better than luck as well

DHB should not be a starting in the NFL WR
:goodposting:

He has the worst set of hands I can ever remember seeing on an NFL WR. 27 catches on 61 targets! Good Lord, how far down the bottom of the barrel do you have to scrape if you're still throwing to a guy with those stats?

As for Luck, if you're talking ROS, I think he's basically replacement-level at this point. Still quite a bit above the typical WW fodder, but with Indy's upcoming matchups you're no more likely to win your playoff games with him in your lineup than you are with Big Ben, Dalton, or Tannehill IMO.

Dynasty? Man, I'd struggle to label him a top 3 FF pick, even though I think he's got an incredibly bright future in the NFL. Cam Newton and Matt Stafford are already putting up the kind of consistent top-5 numbers that you'd be hoping Luck would produce - and, oh, by the way, are only 24 and 25 respectively.

My only other options are Glennon, Henne, Keenum, Weeden..

I think I have to roll with Luck and hope for 200 Yards and 1 TD of some sort (Passing or Rushing) and scrape by with 14-18pts.

Dynasty? Man, I'd struggle to label him a top 3 FF pick, even though I think he's got an incredibly bright future in the NFL. Cam Newton and Matt Stafford are already putting up the kind of consistent top-5 numbers that you'd be hoping Luck would produce - and, oh, by the way, are only 24 and 25 respectively.
Don't totally disagree, though it's worth pointing out that Luck is much further along by the end of his second year than Stafford was. It wasn't until Year 3 that Stafford really busted out.

I don't play in any keeper leagues, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I think you have to separate out Luck's keeper value in the abstract vs specific circumstances. If the question is do I think Andrew Luck will eventually become an elite Top 5 QB, the answer is absolutely yes. If the question is whether he's worth keeping next year, that's a much more open question (and obviously depends on your league's rules). On the one hand, he'll continue to get better, as will Hilton/Fleener/Allen, and the running game certainly can't get worse. On the other, the o-line is unlikely to turn around that quickly, and it's not entirely clear whether Wayne will go back to being exactly what he was coming off major surgery at age 35.

Cutler was my second choice if I did not get rivers. If he's playing, he's far better than luck as well
Just ran some numbers. For the season, Luck has averaged 14.9 PPG to Cutler's 10.7 (using my league's somewhat QB-unfriendly stats). But if you throw out the games where Cutler left early for injury, his average goes up to 14.5. Meanwhile, up through the Houston game, Luck was averaging 16.9, and in the four games since then has been at 11.7.

So yeah, if Cutler is back to what he was, he's clearly a better option than Luck. (Man, it just feels weird to type that!)

I squeaked into the last playoff spot (no thanks to Luck), and have picked up Flacco to use for the next two weeks against Minnesota and Detroit. If i manage to win those two somehow and make the championship in Week 15, I'll probably turn to the waiver wire again for one week of magic.

Apologies if this isn't helpful to anyone, but seems like it provides context to other owners. After rolling Luck all year, I am thinking of starting Dalton (vs Ind) over him this week for the playoffs. Luck's just been brutal since Wayne went down.

I rolled with McCown last week, going with Palmer this week... Luck is just too risky - How many TDs has he thrown in the last month? I'm not in the mood to search, but I'd guess 2 or 3 and be shocked if it was more.

He had one great game vs Houston where he had 3 tds to hilton. But in that game he was under 50 % completion and hit on a couple bombs. I think he's had 1 -2 other tds. 1 rushing. So like 6 total tds in 5 games and pretty poor yardage too. He gets like 20 -50 yards rushing which helps but it's past time to look for alternatives. So glad I got rivers. .. although it would not surprise me to see luck get good stats again it does not seem probable...

I've rolled with Luck all year and sadly, I think I agree. Its week 1 of my playoffs and its time to part ways.

Luckily, I've rostered Matt Ryan all year just in case.

Ryan, however, is in a slump of his own. Same song and dance. Star WR1 goes down and there go the stats... Thing is, Luck seems to be leveling out and Ryan seems to be climbing out of the hole here... esp. with Roddy getting healthy. What do you guys think about Matt Ryan or Andrew Luck?

C Palmer or R Fitzpatrick off the wire(well, they're on mine) seem like stale, but possible options for others seeking replacement. Thoughts?

I've rolled with Luck all year and sadly, I think I agree. Its week 1 of my playoffs and its time to part ways.

Ryan, however, is in a slump of his own. Same song and dance. Star WR1 goes down and there go the stats... Thing is, Luck seems to be leveling out and Ryan seems to be climbing out of the hole here... esp. with Roddy getting healthy. What do you guys think about Matt Ryan or Andrew Luck?

C Palmer or R Fitzpatrick off the wire(well, they're on mine) seem like stale, but possible options for others seeking replacement. Thoughts?
Like Matty Ice's match-up with GB this weekend (though keep an eye on the weather forecast).

Luck can't do it all by himself which is what he's essentially being asked to do right now. Against bad defenses, he'll still put up decent numbers but not against good defenses.
So Luck is now Sam Bradford? So QB's need weapons now? In the many Bradford threads, that's just homer excuse making.

As for the Luck owners, I would be worried. The truth is, he can't do it all, and without Wayne or a running game, he's not very good, but then again, nobody would be with Donald Brown at RB and those WR's without Wayne...

Ryan for sure

VikingFrog said:
Cincinnati has played great defense at home. Luck could be in for a long day tomorrow.
I own Cinci in another league, and am starting them with confidence. Never a good feeling when your QB is viewed as a plus match-up for opposing Ds.

Benching Hilton, but cannot see myself starting Glennon over Luck. Rushing TD could save his day.

I think the net net here is that just about every Luck owner agrees there are better options.
Not sure what a net net is, but yeah every luck owner is nervous and looking for other options

Btw, on a side note, you know Ron burgundy wasn't the one to use sex panther, right? (Your interests)

Benching Hilton, but cannot see myself starting Glennon over Luck. Rushing TD could save his day.
I'm matched up against Luck and own Hilton. Thinking of starting him seeing as if Luck does have a big day, you have to think much of that will go through Hilton. But that's a whole other conversation on hedging and risk vs. rewared.

I think the net net here is that just about every Luck owner agrees there are better options.
Not sure what a net net is, but yeah every luck owner is nervous and looking for other optionsBtw, on a side note, you know Ron burgundy wasn't the one to use sex panther, right? (Your interests)
Good addition to the thread "Doc" - you're very mature for a man who claims to be a doctor... Not small and petty one bit.

I agree he's a bad option, but in my 16-teamer, there isn't anything better (we're talking Schaub, Campbell, McGloin or Henne). Picked up Cutler hoping he'd make it back this week, but no dice. Which sucks even more because I'll probably have to bench him for his first start to make sure he's all the way back. So at least until Championship Week, I'm likely holding my nose and hoping for the best from Luck.

To add to the recent suckitude of Luckitude. The weather is not pointing in his direction either.

Thanks to BustedKnuckles in the weather thread for the following.

Colts at Bengals: Snow before 2pm, then freezing rain and sleet between 2pm and 4pm, then rain or freezing rain after 4pm. High near 31. East wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Defense that performs really well at home... check

Freezing rain... check

Windy conditions... check

Struggling offense with no running game... check

Not sure what a net net is, but yeah every luck owner is nervous and looking for other optionsBtw, on a side note, you know Ron burgundy wasn't the one to use sex panther, right? (Your interests)
Good addition to the thread "Doc" - you're very mature for a man who claims to be a doctor... Not small and petty one bit.
I really wasn't sure if a net net was something I didn't know about, some kind of internet slang, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Nor was I when I was pointing out your interests. You could easily change it to "I have many leather bound books" or something like that.But it always pays off to assume the worst from people. Sheesh

I agree he's a bad option, but in my 16-teamer, there isn't anything better (we're talking Schaub, Campbell, McGloin or Henne). Picked up Cutler hoping he'd make it back this week, but no dice. Which sucks even more because I'll probably have to bench him for his first start to make sure he's all the way back. So at least until Championship Week, I'm likely holding my nose and hoping for the best from Luck.
I'm in the same situation. I don't want to play cutler next week without seeing how he does when back. However, lucks week 15 matchup (HOU) isn't really that bad.

I really wasn't sure if a net net was something I didn't know about, some kind of internet slang, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Nor was I when I was pointing out your interests. You could easily change it to "I have many leather bound books" or something like that.But it always pays off to assume the worst from people. Sheesh
Your response indicates you understand what I am talking about, as I am fairly certain others do too. Furthermore, not really understanding what Paul Rudd or Will Ferrell have to do with Andrew Luck.

For a doctor who in his own words has told me about his numerous publications & advanced degrees, this seems a little petty.

Your response indicates you understand what I am talking about, as I am fairly certain others do too. Furthermore, not really understanding what Paul Rudd or Will Ferrell have to do with Andrew Luck.

For a doctor who in his own words has told me about his numerous publications & advanced degrees, this seems a little petty.
:rolleyes: Whatever man, I meant what I said

so were todays 4 tds and not getting sacked an illusion? I was impressed with the new wrs rogers and brazil. Still think I have to play rivers over luck next week but this was kind of eye opening to me....

so were todays 4 tds and not getting sacked an illusion? I was impressed with the new wrs rogers and brazil. Still think I have to play rivers over luck next week but this was kind of eye opening to me....
Exactly, now whatIn the same situation as you. Rivers or Luck... Or Rodgers

Exactly, now whatIn the same situation as you. Rivers or Luck... Or Rodgers
I am kind of tempted to play luck vs that crappy hou team at home. Or rivers in a shootout vs manning. Both good options really

Think I'm coming back to Luck this week. Unlikely to see him throwing 46 passes again but maybe Darick out a little pep in Pep.

I think Luck has a good week 15. I dropped RGIII (before the news) to grab him, and I'm starting him over Alex Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread