What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lumpkin Love (1 Viewer)

acme

Footballguy
Hearing a lot of chatter about Ryan Grant holding out and Kregg Lumpkin being the guy to handcuff to him.

I don't normally buy into the handcuff theory, and don't own Grant, but if this Lumpkin is something special he might warrant a dynasty roster spot just because.

Anybody have anything (positive or negative) to say about what they've seen first hand. Please try to keep any "hearsay" out of it.

They guys mentioned him on the Audible recently and I think Bloom mentioned that he REALLY liked him, but didn't say much about why... any thoughts guys?

FWIW: I checked YouTube and didn't find any impressive highlights.

Could never stay healthy at Georgia despite being highly recruited out of HS. So he should probably run for 2000 yards in 2011.

Could never stay healthy at Georgia despite being highly recruited out of HS. So he should probably run for 2000 yards in 2011.
This is what I was hoping someone would say.Did you ever see him play? Does he run hard when he's healty?

The depth chart reads

1. Ryan Grant

2. Brandon Jackson

3. Kregg Lumpkin

Jackson and Lumpkin may get some additional early season work while Grant gets back into playing shape. He's battled a hamstring issue basically since he came back after the holdout.

Lumpkin may also get a shot at some short yardage stuff. The Packers were a very poor short yardage team last year, and Lumpkin runs with a purpose. He's worth no more than a long shot flyer at this point though.

This is what I was hoping someone would say.Did you ever see him play? Does he run hard when he's healty?
That was the problem, he was barely healthy - just never got any momentum during his career. Nothing that really stands out in terms of his physical ability, but my memory is sketchy.

That was the problem, he was barely healthy - just never got any momentum during his career. Nothing that really stands out in terms of his physical ability, but my memory is sketchy.
Thanks for the input. Reading over some scouting notes and watching his combine (maybe pro-day) tryout at NFL.com he really doesn't look like a barn-burner. At least from a fantasy perspective. Betcha the Packers like him because he can role-play. He looks like he gives effort, but the physical "pop" just doesn't seem to be there.Analysis: Good team player, Bad fantasy playerFor me, I'm going to spend my last $1 and roster spot on DeDe Dorsey instead.

The real story to read here is - The Green Bay Packers are not going to run the ball much this year.
Exhale that smoke, of course they are going to run and run and run and run. I love the speculation with no link to a source or any information to suggest that the Pack after getting their run blocking sorted out last year are going to reverse course.

Passing attempts - First 6 weeks of last season

Its speculation sure - but so is everything else around here. I think this team is a long way from run blocking effectively and I anticipate the Pack throwing out of the shotgun quite a bit. Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy want to prove that they made a good decision and are going to put Rodgers in position to put up huge #s in my opinion.

Besides that - they arent going to run on Minnesota.

a_rackowski said:
Passing attempts - First 6 weeks of last season 423845454137Its speculation sure - but so is everything else around here. I think this team is a long way from run blocking effectively and I anticipate the Pack throwing out of the shotgun quite a bit. Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy want to prove that they made a good decision and are going to put Rodgers in position to put up huge #s in my opinion. Besides that - they arent going to run on Minnesota.
It's no wonder they passed a lot early last year. Ryan Grant was not a starter until week 8.

I'm not a huge Lumpkin fan, I think Thomas Brown (now on Atlanta's IR) is the better back to come out of georgia last year. He's pretty powerful and decisive, and he was a highly touted player out of HS who got lost in the shuffle at Georgia because of injuries and what not, so I'm definitely not counting him out.

bcr8f said:
I like Lumpkin but if Grant goes down no one player will replace him.
Why is that? It's not like Grant was a star when they traded for him at the beginning of last year.
Sounds like he's saying it'll be more of a RBBC than just 1 RB if Grant is out.Makes sense to me.
I know what he is saying. Why is it that a great percentage of the time on this board when someone goes down it's automatically RBBC? It may very well be in this case, but then again it may not be. Just tired of that being the default everytime a starter goes down.

I saw him in a couple of Packer pre season games and I was pretty impressed. The guy ran hard on each carry and seemed to have good size and seemed to find the holes. He is still a long shot but the time I saw him playing left me with some hope for him.

packer homer so take it what it is worth. I saw Lumpkin in the preseason make some cuts that only the elite RB make. You know the one foot down and juke to the side and still have forward momentum going..I was thrilled they kept him over the other scrubs. All he needs is a chance...

packer homer so take it what it is worth. I saw Lumpkin in the preseason make some cuts that only the elite RB make. You know the one foot down and juke to the side and still have forward momentum going..I was thrilled they kept him over the other scrubs. All he needs is a chance...
This could be the perfect storm.1. Pack plays the lowly Lions.2. Lumpy gets the start due to injuries to Grant and BJax.3. Dude lights it up against a farce of a run defense, and his value skyrockets.Now next week all of a sudden owners of Lumpy have optionswhere you may be able to get something legit for him, or just sit on him and see what happens.Worst case scenerio, he fails miserably and he's the last player on your roster anywayso you dump him in the street next week..

I saw him in a couple of Packer pre season games and I was pretty impressed. The guy ran hard on each carry and seemed to have good size and seemed to find the holes. He is still a long shot but the time I saw him playing left me with some hope for him.
Agreed...I thought he would make the team over the others because of how hard he ran and kept running.I loved it.And against any other team I would just laugh...but hey...its the Lions.That said...Jackson's concussion was said to be mild...if Grant cannot go, Jackson will get the carries.

The real story to read here is - The Green Bay Packers are not going to run the ball much this year.
Exhale that smoke, of course they are going to run and run and run and run. I love the speculation with no link to a source or any information to suggest that the Pack after getting their run blocking sorted out last year are going to reverse course.
They are going to be pretty balanced. Grant runs to well to not use him.

sho nuff said:
Warhogs said:
Agreed...I thought he would make the team over the others because of how hard he ran and kept running.I loved it.And against any other team I would just laugh...but hey...its the Lions.That said...Jackson's concussion was said to be mild...if Grant cannot go, Jackson will get the carries.
BJax is concussed.I think they will treat him with kid gloves this weekend if he plays at all.This from ProFootball Weekly.Keep an eye on Packers rookie Kregg Lumpkin, who could make a surprise appearance this Sunday in Detroit. Brandon Jackson, the normal backup to featured back Ryan Grant, has been dealing with concussion symptoms in the aftermath of the Monday-night opener, and Lumpkin, who is considered a super sleeper by more than a few close Packers observers, could get on the field as a result, especially since the Packers are continuing to be very caution with the number of touches Grant receives..

The depth chart reads1. Ryan Grant2. Brandon Jackson3. Kregg LumpkinJackson and Lumpkin may get some additional early season work while Grant gets back into playing shape. He's battled a hamstring issue basically since he came back after the holdout. Lumpkin may also get a shot at some short yardage stuff. The Packers were a very poor short yardage team last year, and Lumpkin runs with a purpose. He's worth no more than a long shot flyer at this point though.
Lumpkin wont see the field all year.

UGA Alum and Bulldog fan

Lumpkin is a powerful straight-ahead runner who uses his leg strength and pad level to run through a mess and get yards after contact. He does not have breakaway speed, especially for the NFL. He is a competent inside runner but will need mucho carries to get any significant gains. Should be decent on GL. Problem is that he is not adept at the passing game and will be a predictable play in the running game, meaning that once defenses get used to his style they will likely be able to effectively shut down the running game.

This article makes it seem like both Grant and Jackson will be available:

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2008/09/11/1/

Starting running back Ryan Grant was limited in practice for the second straight day with a sore hamstring, but expressed confidence that he will be able to play Sunday at Detroit.

"It was definitely the most work I have done," Grant said. "Game work is more work, so that was good, and the fact that I didn't have any setbacks or anything like that. It's getting there."

McCarthy said the plan was for Grant to be limited Wednesday and Thursday, and then test the hamstring out Friday in practice.

"I know Ryan wants to play, and his communication will be that he'll want to play, I'm sure. But once he practices tomorrow, the information from how he feels Saturday morning factors into it, and Pat McKenzie, Ted (Thompson) and I will make a decision."

Backup running back Brandon Jackson, who sustained a mild concussion in Monday night's game, was also limited in practice Thursday, but McCarthy said he would be surprised if Jackson was not cleared following the concussion tests.

"I'm just trying to make sure my leg is not taxing and it's getting a chance to recover from day to day," Grant said. "I don't see it (playing Sunday) as a question. I'm doing everything to make sure I am ready."

I think Grant plays and likely sees even more carries than he did against Minny.

Even if Lumpkin doesn't see much action this week, he's moved way up my waiver wire watch list for a few reasons:

- Rodgers looked ready for prime time and he should keep the Green Bay passing game robust enough to open those running lanes

- Grant has admitted the hamstring is affecting him, they can linger and flare up, especially in guys that run as hard as Grant does.

- After looking good in the season closer last year, Jackson was not impressive, and he's banged up to boot.

Lumpkin should be owned in all reasonably deep, RB heavy leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread