What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Madieu Williams? (1 Viewer)

houndirish

Footballguy
I'm interested to hear you guys thoughts on Williams. I personally haven't seen him play much so my knowledge of him is limited to what I read.He burned owners this year but largely due to injury. However IIRC he wasn't producing much prior to the injury.Was the dropoff due to improved play up front? Moving forward what can we expect from the guy? Starter grade IDP? Reserve only?I tend to think he'll be unprotected in my dynasty league and can be acquired cheaply. I need to add some DB's after Gibril Wilson and Eric Coleman. What do you guys think of Williams?

I don't have much to say about him, but he did get ranked 8th in the consensus MB dynasty rankings amond DBs.

Madieu was producing reasonably well (mid DB2) in my leagues, including the game against TEN when he played very little.His only poor game was against the Vikings, which was a passing/turnover fest and those tend to be hit or miss for a player like Williams. Otherwise he was 5-2-0 and 9-2-0 with an INT in his other two healthy games.Madieu is in the mold of Bryan Scott/Marlin Jackson types. Experienced at CB in college, but with a skill set more likely to be successful at safety in the NFL. Capable of and plenty speedy enough to cover a slot WR, big enough to play safety. Williams has played all three secondary positions in his NFL career and more than held his own at each. He's proven to be a solid tackler and is almost always around the ball as he's used in blitzes (run and pass), and will roam in coverage (2 sacks, 2 FR, 3 INT, 11 PD in 2004). In my mind, his prior usage mirrors that of a Darren Sharper or Troy Polamalu, in that he fills some traditional SS roles from the FS position.Pay attention to how the Bengals address the "SS" position in the offseason. Some of Madieu's role may change if the Bengals can find another Marvin type guy (speedy with some size) to fill that role. Kim Herring is there now; he'll be returning from a broken arm. If he ends up being the guy, Madieu will retain excellent value and may be a buy-low situation. I haven't heard anything concerning about his shoulder injury, which usually means he's in line for a full recovery. But I'd watch to see that he's still willing to attack and wrap ballcarriers before I fully signed off on that.Bottom line, I think Madieu will be a productive DB2 at minimum, and has a better than average chance at long term DB1 numbers. I might like him more than Eric Coleman, particularly if the Jets commit to a 3-4. Certainly if he can be acquired "cheaply" I'd be all over him.As of late last season, in the leagues I don't own him in, one owner wanted a 2nd rounder minimum, the other wouldn't discuss him.

Madieu was producing reasonably well (mid DB2) in my leagues, including the game against TEN when he played very little.

His only poor game was against the Vikings, which was a passing/turnover fest and those tend to be hit or miss for a player like Williams. Otherwise he was 5-2-0 and 9-2-0 with an INT in his other two healthy games.

Madieu is in the mold of Bryan Scott/Marlin Jackson types. Experienced at CB in college, but with a skill set more likely to be successful at safety in the NFL. Capable of and plenty speedy enough to cover a slot WR, big enough to play safety. Williams has played all three secondary positions in his NFL career and more than held his own at each. He's proven to be a solid tackler and is almost always around the ball as he's used in blitzes (run and pass), and will roam in coverage (2 sacks, 2 FR, 3 INT, 11 PD in 2004). In my mind, his prior usage mirrors that of a Darren Sharper or Troy Polamalu, in that he fills some traditional SS roles from the FS position.

Pay attention to how the Bengals address the "SS" position in the offseason. Some of Madieu's role may change if the Bengals can find another Marvin type guy (speedy with some size) to fill that role. Kim Herring is there now; he'll be returning from a broken arm. If he ends up being the guy, Madieu will retain excellent value and may be a buy-low situation.

I haven't heard anything concerning about his shoulder injury, which usually means he's in line for a full recovery. But I'd watch to see that he's still willing to attack and wrap ballcarriers before I fully signed off on that.

Bottom line, I think Madieu will be a productive DB2 at minimum, and has a better than average chance at long term DB1 numbers. I might like him more than Eric Coleman, particularly if the Jets commit to a 3-4. Certainly if he can be acquired "cheaply" I'd be all over him.

As of late last season, in the leagues I don't own him in, one owner wanted a 2nd rounder minimum, the other wouldn't discuss him.
Excellent points, except Madieu wasn't one of those guys who played corner all through college and translated better at safety at the next level. He was a bonafide safety at Maryland, and a very good, yet under-heralded one (did play some corner in junior college at Townson though). He can play corner though, as he was thrown into the fire as a rookie and his 1st profesional game in 04'. I'd be very suprised to see the Bengals not address the SS position this offseason, but expect to see them bring in a guy that is somewhat similar to Madieu; a guy who can hit, yet cover. Marvin Lewis likes his safeties to be interchangable, and doesn't seem to like sacrificing coverage duty with a safety just because he can hit like a ton of bricks. So, -"IDP-Wise", with a quality SS, I could see both the SS and FS to be pretty valuable in the Bengals system, yet keeping each other from being among the elite eschelon. Madieu should drop and possibly provide decent value, yet as the Bengal's D improves (coupled with the possible presence of a new SS) you also wonder if the tackle numbers could go down among the Bengal's defensive backfield. I expect his stock to rise a lot after the combine, but I think the Bengals have to be looking at Donte Whitner in maybe the second round of this year's draft. He would be the perfect fit with Madieu in Marvin Lewis's scheme. I wouldn't downgrade Madieu too much, because he has the skill sets to get points in different ways, and seems to have a nose for the ball. Coach Lewis has said that Madieu is the best player on the Bengal's defense.

Madieu was producing reasonably well (mid DB2) in my leagues, including the game against TEN when he played very little.

His only poor game was against the Vikings, which was a passing/turnover fest and those tend to be hit or miss for a player like Williams.  Otherwise he was 5-2-0 and 9-2-0 with an INT in his other two healthy games.

Madieu is in the mold of Bryan Scott/Marlin Jackson types.  Experienced at CB in college, but with a skill set more likely to be successful at safety in the NFL.  Capable of and plenty speedy enough to cover a slot WR, big enough to play safety.  Williams has played all three secondary positions in his NFL career and more than held his own at each.  He's proven to be a solid tackler and is almost always around the ball as he's used in blitzes (run and pass), and will roam in coverage (2 sacks, 2 FR, 3 INT, 11 PD in 2004).  In my mind, his prior usage mirrors that of a Darren Sharper or Troy Polamalu, in that he fills some traditional SS roles from the FS position.

Pay attention to how the Bengals address the "SS" position in the offseason.  Some of Madieu's role may change if the Bengals can find another Marvin type guy (speedy with some size) to fill that role.  Kim Herring is there now; he'll be returning from a broken arm.  If he ends up being the guy, Madieu will retain excellent value and may be a buy-low situation. 

I haven't heard anything concerning about his shoulder injury, which usually means he's in line for a full recovery.  But I'd watch to see that he's still willing to attack and wrap ballcarriers before I fully signed off on that.

Bottom line, I think Madieu will be a productive DB2 at minimum, and has a better than average chance at long term DB1 numbers.  I might like him more than Eric Coleman, particularly if the Jets commit to a 3-4.  Certainly if he can be acquired "cheaply" I'd be all over him.

As of late last season, in the leagues I don't own him in, one owner wanted a 2nd rounder minimum, the other wouldn't discuss him.
Excellent points, except Madieu wasn't one of those guys who played corner all through college and translated better at safety at the next level. He was a bonafide safety at Maryland, and a very good, yet under-heralded one (did play some corner in junior college at Townson though). He can play corner though, as he was thrown into the fire as a rookie and his 1st profesional game in 04'. I'd be very suprised to see the Bengals not address the SS position this offseason, but expect to see them bring in a guy that is somewhat similar to Madieu; a guy who can hit, yet cover. Marvin Lewis likes his safeties to be interchangable, and doesn't seem to like sacrificing coverage duty with a safety just because he can hit like a ton of bricks. So, -"IDP-Wise", with a quality SS, I could see both the SS and FS to be pretty valuable in the Bengals system, yet keeping each other from being among the elite eschelon. Madieu should drop and possibly provide decent value, yet as the Bengal's D improves (coupled with the possible presence of a new SS) you also wonder if the tackle numbers could go down among the Bengal's defensive backfield. I expect his stock to rise a lot after the combine, but I think the Bengals have to be looking at Donte Whitner in maybe the second round of this year's draft. He would be the perfect fit with Madieu in Marvin Lewis's scheme. I wouldn't downgrade Madieu too much, because he has the skill sets to get points in different ways, and seems to have a nose for the ball. Coach Lewis has said that Madieu is the best player on the Bengal's defense.
You're right, I overemphasized his HS and pre ACC experience. Agree with all your points. Hoping they address SS as well, although Herring has always been a Marvin guy. He's just not as productive as I'd like, as well as unable to stay healthy.

I'm with you, I've got Madieu as likely top 15 with a possibly much higher ceiling, depending on how the secondary shakes out and Odell's growth.

Thanks for the feedback fella's. I chatted with the owner who has his rights in my league. Unfortunately he does plan on keeping him so I'll have to look elsewhere to stock my DB Cabinet. I don't know that I'd be willing to trade for Williams unless he came relatively cheap.

Thanks for the feedback fella's. I chatted with the owner who has his rights in my league. Unfortunately he does plan on keeping him so I'll have to look elsewhere to stock my DB Cabinet. I don't know that I'd be willing to trade for Williams unless he came relatively cheap.
That's alright, there should be a lot of intriguing young DB's this year that could slip. Seemingly more than usual, with guys like Josh Bullocks, Jonathan Carter and Nick Collins.

Latest on Madieu's shoulder from Madieu himself.

link

Madieu Williams will go to the doctor next month to find out if he is medically cleared to play after tearing a labrum in his left arm.

Williams suffered the injury in practice Sept. 30. He played in one more game before being placed on the injured reserve list, and he missed all but four games last season.

"I shouldn't have any setbacks," Williams said of his health. "Right now, if I was not a football player, I would be fine. But it's hard to judge being a football player."

He is participating in running and weightlifting sessions as part of the team's offseason strength and conditioning program.

In two seasons, Williams has played in 20 games (16 starts). He has 118 tackles, two sacks, two fumble recoveries and four interceptions, with one returned 53 yards for a touchdown.

If healthy, Williams is expected to regain his role as the Bengals' starting free safety, opposite newly acquired Dexter Jackson at strong safety.

Thanks for the feedback fella's.  I chatted with the owner who has his rights in my league.  Unfortunately he does plan on keeping him so I'll have to look elsewhere to stock my DB Cabinet.  I don't know that I'd be willing to trade for Williams unless he came relatively cheap.
That's alright, there should be a lot of intriguing young DB's this year that could slip. Seemingly more than usual, with guys like Josh Bullocks, Jonathan Carter and Nick Collins.
Jerome Carter?

Nothing to add here, except thanks for the discussion. I acquired him recently to start next to Bob Sanders, and I like the duo. One nice thing about the Bengals FS is we can be pretty sure the opponent will have to throw a lot, which should add to his stats. As opposed to SS, who would be more apt to stack the box (and increase tackles) if the opponent would run more.

Update on Madieu...

Bengals.com reporting that Williams "suited up and practiced" during the first voluntary workout today. Since guys recovering from minor issues/procedures like Rudi Johnson, David Pollack, and Deltha O'Neal sat out, I'm reading this to mean that he has been fully cleared for football activities.

link

:thumbup:

Update on Madieu...

Bengals.com reporting that Williams "suited up and practiced" during the first voluntary workout today. Since guys recovering from minor issues/procedures like Rudi Johnson, David Pollack, and Deltha O'Neal sat out, I'm reading this to mean that he has been fully cleared for football activities.

link

Nice update. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback fella's.  I chatted with the owner who has his rights in my league.  Unfortunately he does plan on keeping him so I'll have to look elsewhere to stock my DB Cabinet.  I don't know that I'd be willing to trade for Williams unless he came relatively cheap.
Jerome Carter?
I'll second that: who's Jerome Carter? :coffee: :pics: Maybe, just maybe, he's available on the FCFS? :pray:

Thanks for the update.

My situation has an update too! I acquired Williams straight up for Darren Howard. Trade addressed needs for both squads.

Now my depth chart is:

Gibril Wilson

Madieu Williams

Eric Coleman

Reserves who may or may not make the team:

Sean Jones and Josh Bullocks.

Update on Madieu...

link

Final update on Madieu. He's healthy and practicing as suspected.Cincinnati Enquirer

Inactive for all but four games last season because of a shoulder injury that required surgery, Bengals safety Madieu Williams has been an active participant during the team's on-field workouts the past three weeks.

"It's a good feeling to be back out there with my teammates," Williams said. "I'm trying to pick up where I left off last year and be better than what I was the last few years.

"I've got quite a task ahead of me, but I'm ready for the challenge."

As a rookie in 2004, Williams started 13 games at three positions and ranked fourth on the team in total tackles (95) and third in solos (71). He had 23 total tackles with one interception last season.

"This is a time for me to try some new things," Williams said, "and add some things to my repertoire that I can take with me into camp and hopefully be able to have in the bag of tricks come the regular season."

Users who are viewing this thread