What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mahomes Ankle: Real or Fakery? (1 Viewer)

How did Mahomes make Güd miraculous recovery?

• Adrenaline

• They shot him up with Toradol

• He faked the injury so PHI wouldn’t be ready for a QB keeper

• Other (explain below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Mahomes appeared to aggravate his high ankle sprain before the end of the 1st half.

He was writhing in obvious pain, apparently couldn’t put any weight on it, and looked distraught on the sidelines.

Then miraculously in the 2nd half, not only did he play well through the injury, but he played better than he did in the 1st half, eventually rushing for a critical big gain in the 4th quarter on the game-winning drive.

It has me wondering what really happened. Curious about FBG shark’s opinions on this one.

Other

I think he hurt it and had an "oh crap not again" moment. Then after he walked on it for a bit, realized it wasn't as bad as he feared. I think that happens a lot in sports, especially if its in a place that was close to or exactly where you had a previous injury.

Could also be they shot him up, I guess, but I didn't think it looked all that bad when it happened, certainly nowhere near as bad as the injury in the Jags game.

Really liked the guy his first few years in the league, but not so much now. Maybe overexposure, but there just seems something scripted about him now when he talks. Plus his wife is a total attention whore, so that's really annoying as well. Really good at football though.

Hopefully he wasn't faking, but seemed a little overacting to create the Willis Reed moment.

Other

I think he hurt it and had an "oh crap not again" moment. Then after he walked on it for a bit, realized it wasn't as bad as he feared. I think that happens a lot in sports, especially if its in a place that was close to or exactly where you had a previous injury.

Could also be they shot him up, I guess, but I didn't think it looked all that bad when it happened, certainly nowhere near as bad as the injury in the Jags game.
Long halftime show - typically after 45 mins an ankle sprain gets worse, not better.

Maybe you’re right and he walked it off….sure didn’t look like it when he was hobbling around for a few mins, and then sulking on the sideline like his career was over. :shrug:

Hopefully he wasn't faking, but seemed a little overacting to create the Willis Reed moment.
I half suspect fakery, but not for any kind of Curt Schilling bloody sock moment - more because it would be smart football to play it up & get PHI off guard.

I guarantee the last thing they expected in the 2nd half was a long Mahomes run.

Last edited:
I half suspect fakery, but not for any kind of Curt Schilling bloody sock moment - more because it would be smart football to play it up & get PHI off guard.

I guarantee the last thing they expected in the 2nd half was we a long Mahomes run.
My son brought up the Curt Schilling moment on Sunday when he thought Mahomes was faking. He was just starting to follow baseball then and he thought it was so cool at the time.

The Paul Pierce wheelchair moment was classic in it's patheticness as well.

Lemme think....so, either Andy Reid and Mahomes pulled a real life, psuedo-"Bo Whitley", or a real, live guy playing for a real, live NFL team had access at halftime to A+ pain killer injections?

Yeah, after considetation I voted "other". Mahomes is clearly a cyborg and at halftime they just installed a new ankle joint.

They taped it up like a boot type cast. That usually can get ya through a game.
With any ankle injury swelling comes if you don't hurry up and tape it ASAP. They were on top of it.

Really liked the guy his first few years in the league, but not so much now. Maybe overexposure, but there just seems something scripted about him now when he talks. Plus his wife is a total attention whore, so that's really annoying as well. Really good at football though.

I honestly had no idea he was even married.

If you follow the NFL so closely that players wives are on your radar, you may need to take a step back.

Other

Long halftime show - typically after 45 mins an ankle sprain gets worse, not better.

Maybe you’re right and he walked it off….sure didn’t look like it when he was hobbling around for a few mins, and then sulking on the sideline like his career was over. :shrug:
Well you should mention that he was standing on the sideline smiling before the end of the first half and ran to the locker room. He didn't seem that concerned after the initial few minutes. I rolled an ankle so bad in a 100 mile race at mile 8 that it took two years to fully heal. Made it another 30 hours on it and it was swollen like a softball. In my dreams I'm not a tenth of the athlete Patrick is and the guy who tape mine was getting compensated with snacks. I'm sure he got some drugs too I think your answer is one and two with some oh crap this sucks followed by this isn't that bad mixed in.

If you follow the NFL so closely that players wives are on your radar, you may need to take a step back.
this Super Bowl I learned that his wife isn’t well liked.

I still have no idea why. There were quite a number of posts/tweets/etc

I tried to pay as little attention to it as possible.

Well you should mention that he was standing on the sideline smiling before the end of the first half and ran to the locker room.
I actually didn’t know that part. I was drinking fairly heavily at that point of the game. :banned:
By the lack of commentary on it on TV I think the announcers were drinking with you.

I remember at the time thinking this doesn't look like a guy who is hurt. I was going to pull him from my dfs 2nd half lineups until I saw that.

Believe it or not, players do occasionally play up an injury to get an edge on the defense. It’s not without precedent.
I've been a Steelers fan during the entirity of the Roethlisberger era, so I am quite familiar with a quarterback playing up a hangnail into a compound fracture. Mahomes aint got nothin' on vintage #7 in that regard.

Occam's Razor: Pat got a pain shot at halftime, after which they likely could have hammered a nail through his foot and he wouldnt have cared until tomorrow.

Apparently is a thing, everyone I watched the game with dislikes her, I didn’t even know who she is or that she existed tbh

And his lil bro. They are both over the top obnoxious on the socials. Calling out "the haters", almost obsessively. At one point his lil bro got such a head about himself that he dumped a drink onto fans below him from his luxury booth.

It was getting so bad that clearly Pat (or somebody on his team) sat down with him after last season (2021) and told them that they had to simmer tf down. They were conspicuously inconspicuous this year and haven't heard about them and forgot they existed until just this past week.

Last edited:
Y'all don't believe the athlete?

Mahomes said in a postgame news conference that he did not receive a painkilling injection from trainers in the locker room during halftime, but “did some stuff to get it ready,” including taping the ankle.

I would presume he took something orally. Thinking it was something stronger than a couple 200 mg of Ibuprofen.

Andy said it helped that they knew they had a 30 minute halftime (I think it was just over 45 minutes from his last snap of the first half to the opening drive.)

He looked like he was experiencing intense pain on the game clinching scramble.

We all view life through our own collective experiences life has thrown at us. I think what Mahomes did was pretty awesome but also not especially extraordinary.

When I was 18 I severed my left index finger in a work accident
actually would be more correct to say a large chunk of flesh pulled off the first joint
and didn't receive an injection for well over an hour. Generally I'd say I have a low threshold for pain tolerance, but that day I found out just about anything is tolerable if you convince yourself you can get through it. Reattached body parts hurt like a ***** while they're healing, but I was scared of becoming addicted to painkillers - so I just put up with it. Over the next few months I bumped it accidentally a couple times and hot damn for a moment or two it would be like sciatica nerve pain. But whatever, didn't kill me.

In the moment, humans simply do what they have to do.

It was taped up and adrenaline did the rest. If you watch Mahomes weekly it was easy to see he wasn't at full strength, even in the 2nd half.
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if he exaggerated a bit on the play near the end of the 2nd quarter, but he was clearly not close to 100% on that ankle. You could just tell by the way he moved around and even on that run.

I guarantee the last thing they expected in the 2nd half was we a long Mahomes run.
My son brought up the Curt Schilling moment on Sunday when he thought Mahomes was faking. He was just starting to follow baseball then and he thought it was so cool at the time.

My favorite was when Dwayne Wade separated his shoulder and just couldn't make it back to the locker room on his own. It was a near-death experience. The same night a NCAAW hoops player also got a seperated shoulder, popped in back in and continued to play.

So what's the deal with the Curt Schilling bloody sock thing? That was right around the time I started following baseball, so I don't remember ever being aware of it, though I remember that comeback ALCS. Searching 'curt schilling bloody sock' comes up with articles and videos about the unusual procedure they performed to get him into playing condition, but I can't find much about faking.

I voted other.

My reasoning: the dude is just a winner. He has this extra mental gear he can get to when he's hurt, when the chips are down...whatever. Remember the dislocated knee-cap game - the dude was back just a couple weeks later.

Played on really bad turf-toe and made it to the Super Bowl and ran his *** off that day to try and keep the team in the game.

He has what the greats have - the capability to just go to another level. I think that's what we are seeing here.

I voted other.

My reasoning: the dude is just a winner. He has this extra mental gear he can get to when he's hurt, when the chips are down...whatever. Remember the dislocated knee-cap game - the dude was back just a couple weeks later.

Played on really bad turf-toe and made it to the Super Bowl and ran his *** off that day to try and keep the team in the game.

He has what the greats have - the capability to just go to another level. I think that's what we are seeing here.

All true and we see it in different sports. The truly elite have an ability to turn everything off including pain. To the point where it gets dangerous at times when they push it too hard.

Now you're just lying

I do zero social media. ZERO. And you still see her 5-head all over football websites and search engines trying to make herself relevant based on who her husband is. Really annoying

I just heard about his wife and brother during the Super Bowl hype weeks. Am I lying also?

Does Mrs Holmes have a name? Because I don't know it.

I did know about the brother though. Jackson, right? That's the extent of my knowledge. Heard he posted dumb stuff and zoned out before bothering to find out deets.

WGAF about that kind of stuff? Or shipping Holmes with the owners daughter. Like...wut?

Y'all wanna know about the 35th ranked in OLB in the upcoming draft though, I could go on for days.

Now you're just lying

I do zero social media. ZERO. And you still see her 5-head all over football websites and search engines trying to make herself relevant based on who her husband is. Really annoying
Hand to God! I had zero clue he was married.

I know a handful of player wives: Bundchen (thank God he's retired & divorced), I think Ertz's wife is an Olympian and... so was Nick Mangold's sister... didn't Russell Wilson's wife or sister (sister-wife?) have something to do with magic water?

That is the sum total of my knowledge of players wives.

As you can clearly see here, Hurts sweeps the leg and Mahomes has to get a Miyagi intervention to come out and fight in the 2nd Half.
"Patrick Mahomes is going to fight?"
2nd Half he pulls the bird-crane kick and they are lifting up the Lombardi Trophy

So what's the deal with the Curt Schilling bloody sock thing? That was right around the time I started following baseball, so I don't remember ever being aware of it, though I remember that comeback ALCS. Searching 'curt schilling bloody sock' comes up with articles and videos about the unusual procedure they performed to get him into playing condition, but I can't find much about faking.
Oh he was legit bleeding.

He was not in jeopardy of having his foot amputated. But that’s how Fox played it up during the WS, with frequent camera shots of his bloody sock while pitching.

He turned out to be a total POS, running his game company into the ground and defaulting on millions in loans from (Delaware, I think?) while simultaneously going on conservative media lecturing people about personal responsibility.

But yeah- he milked that sock schtick for all it was worth. He was bleeding. He was not bleeding to death.

AAAAAAAAAAAHGH!

Exactly how my siblings reacted. "Take him to the hospital....and whatever you do, don't look at it!!"

BTW newly exposed bone is super white lol.
Yep. I took a cut to the palm bone deep. Have a nice 1.5” j-shaped scar. Fun fact: inside of the palm looks like the inside of a fig. Much “juicier” tho. 🤢

AAAAAAAAAAAHGH!

Exactly how my siblings reacted. "Take him to the hospital....and whatever you do, don't look at it!!"

Yep. I took a cut to the palm bone deep. Have a nice 1.5” j-shaped scar. Fun fact: inside of the palm looks like the inside of a fig. Much “juicier” tho. 🤢
Hm, never thought I'd like figs, but if they're anything like human hands, worth a try! 😋😋

As you can clearly see here, Hurts sweeps the leg and Mahomes has to get a Miyagi intervention to come out and fight in the 2nd Half.
"Patrick Mahomes is going to fight?"
2nd Half he pulls the bird-crane kick and they are lifting up the Lombardi Trophy
I legit should have had a “they Mr Miagi’d that s**t” option in the poll.

I feel as though I’ve failed you all. 🥹

AAAAAAAAAAAHGH!

Hm, never thought I'd like figs, but if they're anything like human hands, worth a try! 😋😋

hey LMK if you want my FYC copy of Bones and All

didn't get around to watching it

Users who are viewing this thread