What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marcus Murphy Bills #2 RB? (1 Viewer)

machine3

Footballguy
Murphy seems to have surpassed Chris Ivory as the No. 2 running back on the depth chart, Joe Buscaglia of WKBW.com reports.

Throughout training camp and the preseason, Buffalo running backs ran through drills in the same order they were listed on the depth chart. While Ivory was that No. 2 guy into drills behind LeSean McCoy for the vast majority of the offseason, Murphy assumed that responsibility in practice both Monday and Wednesday. If a changing of the guard has truly taken place -- which wouldn't be a surprise given Murphy's impressive preseason -- Ivory would no longer be the preferred handcuff to McCoy, who's at risk of a potential suspension while his off-the-field legal concerns unfold.

I admittedly know nothing about this guy, but since he's right behind McCoy maybe he needs a thread? Could be worth a flier....or maybe he's just a Hail Mary. 

From what I've seen Ivory is still listed as the #2, but I would not be surprised at all if Murphy actually was considering how well he looked in the preseason.

It could be one of those situations where Ivory is the "spell" back for a couple series if they want to give McCoy a breather, but if McCoy actually missed games Murphy elevated to the starter.

With the garbage time exception of the week 14 blowout of Houston, Ivory was nearly invisible after week 8 last year. Inactive over the last two weeks and against PIT and NEP in playoffs....not surprised that the Bills don't see him as a viable backup to Shady

I mean, preseason is preseason so who knows, but Ivory was essentially invisible the entire 4 weeks whereas Murphy was the one making plays.  Clearly a hard runner for a smallish guy, not afraid to make 1 cut and go.  Reminds me a little of a smaller Mike Gillislee.

The 2nd reason I’m intrigued by Murphy is the infatuation the Bills’ personnel have with him. The franchise’s QB, Josh Allen, stated “I love the dude. He runs big. You know he’s not going to be the biggest guy out there, but I saw him lower his shoulder into a middle linebacker and get three or four more yards, so out of a back that’s all you can ask for — a guy who is going to try to run through a wall to get extra yards. He’s going to hold onto the football, he’s dynamic outside, he can catch the ball so he’s someone to look out for, for sure”.

Furthermore, the Bills’ new coach Sean McDermott noted, “He’s a competitive guy and he’s fun to watch at practice. What you saw (Thursday night against Carolina) is what we see every day at practice. Whether it’s playing special teams or playing the running back position, he’s selfless and a team guy and I really appreciate that.”

Murphy has really been turning heads so far in the preseason and is looking sharp. Through 2 preseason games so far, Murphy has rushed for 74 yards on 11 carries (6.73 YPC) with one touchdown and has added four receptions for 30 yards. He’s looked far more electric than the likes of Ivory and Cadet.

Tex

Thanks for putting him on my radar.  Damn, this guy runs a lot bigger than his frame.  Especially impressed with how willing and effective he is in pass protection.  Some very impressive tape in all phases of the game. 

McCoy's age & possible suspension (however remote) makes Murphy even more interesting. He's bounced around the league after being drafted in the 7h round by the Saints in 2015, but he was 4-star recruit out of high school & had a good career at Missouri.

Besides being electric, I immediately noticed Murphy plays much bigger than his listed weight of 195 which helps enormously. Murphy has been on my radar for a couple weeks, but added him today since he's starting to get noticed by the FF community.

Murphy is one of those guys who simply slipped through the cracks & I've always suspected there's a lot of players like that in the NFL. I still say without the injury to Trent Green, we very likely may not know who Kurt Warner is today.

Who knows what Murphy will do if he gets a chance, but for now, I'll call him the best RB you've never heard of.

Bumping with the McCoy situation looking more tenuous. Is it time to take a flyer on this guy in redraft?

Double M was drafted by the Saints, in the Sproles / Boston Scott mold. Good returner, but I also thought he was a good RB and was disappointed to see him go. Just as I was disappointed to see Sproles go and Scott sent to the practice squad. - But MM can turn the corner and fight for tough yards.

Bumping with the McCoy situation looking more tenuous. Is it time to take a flyer on this guy in redraft?
Did so last week, given not only McCoy's status but his age as well, and I believe Ivory is even older.  RBs that age don't make much sense for a rebuilding team.  But didn't Murphy muff a punt last week?  Couldn't have helped his cause.

Not sure if the "concept of #2 RB in Buff" is presumptuous or pre-emptive, but info on touches:

MM - Week 1 --> 6 carries for 31 yards & 2 Targets (zero catches) // Week 2 --> 3 carries 6 yards & 1 catch for 7 yards on 5 targets

CI - Week 1 --> 3 carries for 3 yards & ZERO targets // Week 2 -->  2 carries 7 yards & 1 catch for 30 yards on 2 targets (plus 1 rush TD)

Marcus Murphy 16 touches compared to Chris Ivory 7 touches in 2 weeks 

Adding Rotowire Article 

(RotoWire) Murphy rushed three times for six yards and caught just one of five targets for seven yards during Sunday's loss to the Chargers.

Analysis: Murphy had seemingly passed Chris Ivory for No. 2 duties and even though he got three carries to Ivory's two, it was Ivory who got the goal-line plunge for Buffalo's only rushing score, while the former Jaguar was also involved in the passing game just like Murphy. There will be some guesswork involved if starter LeSean McCoy misses some time to a rib injury suffered Sunday, though the early word is Shady will try to play through the issue.

Murphy is surely the 2nd string back.  That doesn't mean much, because the Bills offense is garbage.

Murphy also muffed the punt that almost got Taiwan Jones killed (literally) and then muffed the subsequent punt as well.  Not sure if that has any bearing on whether or not he gets touches, the game was mostly out of hand by that point anyway.

Murphy is surely the 2nd string back.  That doesn't mean much, because the Bills offense is garbage.

Murphy also muffed the punt that almost got Taiwan Jones killed (literally) and then muffed the subsequent punt as well.  Not sure if that has any bearing on whether or not he gets touches, the game was mostly out of hand by that point anyway.
Yeah, Murphy passed Ivory a few weeks ago.

Not sure how touches would be doled out, but Murphy has some upside. He's electric & is a tough runner for his size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we potentially missing the boat here?  It’s easy to say the offense is terrible and thus, no value can come from the team, but it feels like over my life playing this game, I’ve been wrong a lot when I try to dismiss bad situations completely. 

Maybe Peterman getting replaced with Allen brings the offense alive a little?  Maybe the offensive line gels?  I don’t know ... but if Murphy is talented and is in line to a decent role (if Shady misses time with his ribs or pending legal situation) maybe we should be paying more attention.

He’s available nearly everywhere. 

Are we potentially missing the boat here?  It’s easy to say the offense is terrible and thus, no value can come from the team, but it feels like over my life playing this game, I’ve been wrong a lot when I try to dismiss bad situations completely. 

Maybe Peterman getting replaced with Allen brings the offense alive a little?  Maybe the offensive line gels?  I don’t know ... but if Murphy is talented and is in line to a decent role (if Shady misses time with his ribs or pending legal situation) maybe we should be paying more attention.

He’s available nearly everywhere. 
Not sure if Murphy would fare any better than McCoy in this dumpster fire of an offense (granted right now, as you say), but worth a speculative add. And who knows - when the team is hopelessly out of it, maybe Murphy gets a longer look for the future - certainly possible that this is McCoy's last year in Buffalo. Granted Murphy is not that young himself (turning 27 next month), but certainly not much tread on the tires.

Saw at least one dropped pass last week and box score says 1 rec on 5 targets. Not crazy about that when his opportunity came. Could be an even'ish split with Ivory

Saw at least one dropped pass last week and box score says 1 rec on 5 targets. Not crazy about that when his opportunity came. Could be an even'ish split with Ivory
Pair that with the multiple muffed punts and it's pretty safe to conclude the dude has stone hands.

It appears MM has started to gain some traction...  he is currently listed as a Top 20 FA Add in MFL  (just ahead of C Ivory!!)

19.  Murphy, Marcus BUF RB  Free Agent   5.89%

20.  Ivory, Chris BUF RB  Free Agent      5.86%

23.  Adams, Josh PHI RB (R) Free Agent    5.18%
Granted: This is from a 12 Team PPR Keeper league with 18 roster spots (2RB/3WR/1TE & 2 Flex) qualifier

Per Rotoworld, McCoy is locking like he’s out for today. If so, it will be interesting to see how the load is divided between Ivory and Murphy, but can’t envision anything but a very ugly result on the road at Minnesota.

Anyone think he gets an increase in touches if McCoy goes to Phi or elsewhere?  Or is Ivory the main beneficiary?

Is he going to be the lead back today? What can we expect?
Is there any news on Ivory injury?  

Editing to add: I just read both Shady and Ivory not expected to play.  He just may be my desperation play this week.

If you need someone, you could do worse.  Allen's going to complicate it with his own rushing and his running is probably a factor on the goal line.  But he could easily wind up with 12-15 touches, potentially get a goal line TD

If you need someone, you could do worse.  Allen's going to complicate it with his own rushing and his running is probably a factor on the goal line.  But he could easily wind up with 12-15 touches, potentially get a goal line TD
The O-line is so terrible though that you'd have to be extremely desperate to start him in the playoffs IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread