What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlin Jackson may move to safety (1 Viewer)

This article in the Indy Star surprised me.

Marlin Jackson enjoyed a solid rookie season covering slot receivers in the Indianapolis Colts' nickel defensive package.

His second season might involve a position change.

Coach Tony Dungy said over the weekend the Colts are exploring the option of moving Jackson, their 2005 first-round draft pick, from cornerback to safety.

"You want your best players on the field,'' Dungy said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I know Marlin wants to play corner, feels he's a corner and that's where he played most of the time (in '05).''

But Dungy added he "wouldn't rule it out totally'' that Jackson might be at safety. That would probably result in him joining Pro Bowl selection Bob Sanders in the starting lineup, replacing Mike Doss.

Jackson appeared in all 16 regular-season games as a rookie, one as a starter. He played almost exclusively as a nickel cornerback, registering 52 tackles, one interception and four defended passes.

Are the Colts that down on Doss? This could really move Jackson up the DB charts if he gets moved to SS.

Jackson could end up being the best DB from his class.
I would think Marlin would find himself as the FS. Sanders is a pretty complete safety - crazy athletism, but a little short. His best game is from SS looking down into the offense, not with his back turned or trying to defend jump balls down the field. My $0.02.

Sounds like Dungy wants Jackson on the field one way or another. Even if it is at CB I think he will be one of the upper echelon CB's.
I should admit that I am a Jackson owner. I had him on the same level with Rolle, Jones, and Rogers but figured he could be had later. So far so good. It's nice to be right every now and then. :bag:

anything to get Doss off the field. He's a solid hitter, but a poor fit for that D - way too easy to exploit the deep middle if you could keep freeney, mathis, and co. from the QB.

Just watch Heath Miller outrun Doss on the second play from scrimmage in the IND/PIT playoff game and youll see what i mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
anything to get Doss off the field. He's a solid hitter, but a poor fit for that D - way too easy to exploit the deep middle if you could keep freeney, mathis, and co. from the QB.

Just watch Heath Miller outrun Doss on the second play from scrimmage in the IND/PIT playoff game and youll see what i mean.
:yes: But the Jackson / Sanders combo :eek: Jackson will be a much better cover FS, does this allow Sanders more freedom to roam?

Anyone want to venture on the actual likelyhood of this to happen? Would Jackson make the move?
I was kind of thinking the same thing.Doss is not great, but I can't imagine the Colts throwing in the towel on their 2nd-round pick this early. I'm probably wrong.

If the move is made, I'm assuming it's a combination of Doss' liability in coverage and Jackson's lack of true corner speed (ran a 4.57 and 4.62 in last year's combine).

This move makes sense. IMO Jackson is better suited for a FS role and Sanders is a in-the-box safety and even though Indy's safety's are suppose to be interchangable, it seemed Sanders spent most of his time at FS last year. This could give Indy a chance to have a true FS and get Sanders more plays closer the los.

As a semi-new IDP dynasty player - what value does this give Jackson (in the opinion of more seasoned owners)? TIA

As a semi-new IDP dynasty player - what value does this give Jackson (in the opinion of more seasoned owners)? TIA
Well...Indy likes their safety's to be interchangable so Jackson should see some time in-the-box, and their offense (Indy) is powerful enough to have teams playing from behind, thats the good thing. The bad is: Indy employs a cover 2 and c-2 corners can be very productive in terms of tackles. If I were a Jackson owner, I would not be excited about him moving position, if in fact this comes to life.

In VBD analysis, this almost certainly lowers his value. Cover-2 CB's tend to rack up a lot of tackles relative to other CB's and are therefore very valuable. As a FS he'd likely be average at best IMHO, and that's not helped in the short term by having to learn a new position to begin with.

If true this could mean Indy grabs a CB in round 1 of the draft.. Cromartie, Hill, Jonathan Joseph would be good fits

If true this could mean Indy grabs a CB in round 1 of the draft.. Cromartie, Hill, Jonathan Joseph would be good fits
...or it's time for last year's 2nd-rounder (Kelvin Hayden) to earn his stripes!

As a semi-new IDP dynasty player - what value does this give Jackson (in the opinion of more seasoned owners)?  TIA
In VBD analysis, this almost certainly lowers his value. Cover-2 CB's tend to rack up a lot of tackles relative to other CB's and are therefore very valuable. As a FS he'd likely be average at best IMHO, and that's not helped in the short term by having to learn a new position to begin with.
He played Safety at Michigan, so the switch shouldn't be too hard.

only 1 year and BMW and Kerry Colbert OWNED him in the rosebowl

As a semi-new IDP dynasty player - what value does this give Jackson (in the opinion of more seasoned owners)?  TIA
only 1 year and BMW and Kerry Colbert OWNED him in the rosebowl
BMW and Colbert owned Jim Herrmann's soft ### zone defense.. like everyone else does.

The important thing for me as a Jackson owner is that the guy has shown that he deserves a lot of playing time and management has recognized this. He's a good enough player that he'll make an impact no matter where he lines up.

Staying at corner and in open competition for starting job.Indianapolis Star -- June 9th, 2006

Jackson staying put?

It appears Marlin Jackson's immediate future involves further development at cornerback, not a move to safety. The latter has been given consideration by the coaching staff.

"Corners are hard to find,'' Dungy said. "If you've got a good guy at corner, you really need some type of real good reason to move him.''

Dungy indicated the team has been pleased with the development of its young safeties during offseason workouts. Pro Bowl free safety Bob Sanders (arm) and strong safety Mike Doss (shoulder) have spent the offseason recuperating from surgery, which has allowed Matt Giordano, Gerome Sapp, Dexter Reid, Chris Laskowski and rookies Antoine Bethea and Antwan Marsh to get more on-field work.

He's still listed as a backup to Jason David at the RCB spot. After having high hopes for him, I'm strongly considering dumping him.

He's still listed as a backup to Jason David at the RCB spot. After having high hopes for him, I'm strongly considering dumping him.
Yeah, he hasn't looked very good in coverage and Dungy actually grilled him publicly last week. Still around the ball an awful lot though and with Jason David and now Nick Harper nursing injuries, he'll get a lot of work this week as well.

You want a sleeper at safety for the Colts? Anthony Bethea may get the week 1 start if Mike Doss is still hurt. He's been the most impressive Colts rookie so far this season.

Nothing new, right? He's still the 3rd/nickle CB?
Been looking off and on today. I can't find anything to suggest he's a clear starter. He's probably not going to make my rosters that have roster deadlines tonight.Hopefully I can get him back if need be.

With David banged-up, I was under the impression Jackson was a clear-cut starter for Week 1. :confused:

IMO, David is better suited for nickle duty.

With David banged-up, I was under the impression Jackson was a clear-cut starter for Week 1. :confused: IMO, David is better suited for nickle duty.
Me too ...Colts | Jackson likely to start at right cornerWed, 30 Aug 2006 10:49:27 -0700Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts CB Marlin Jackson will likely enter the season as the starting right cornerback.

With David banged-up, I was under the impression Jackson was a clear-cut starter for Week 1. :confused:

IMO, David is better suited for nickle duty.
Me too ...Colts | Jackson likely to start at right corner

Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:49:27 -0700

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts CB Marlin Jackson will likely enter the season as the starting right cornerback.
Heh...figures. That guy has said the opposite for the past two weeks. WD's right, Jackson will start while David is out, but most signs had been pointing to David reclaiming the starting role while healthy. I'd like to think Jackson is the guy, but he was so poor in coverage that he may go back to a reserve role unless he's more consistent over the next week or two.

Here's the full note.

indystar.com

Will Marlin Jackson replace Jason David? That might occur at the start of the season by default. David missed a good portion of the preseason with a groin injury. After a slow start, Jackson found his comfort level. Regardless who starts, each will be a factor.

Well, as the lesser of the 2 CB's in Indy's Cover-2 scheme, I'd figure that he should put up some nice numbers as long as he's starting as his side of the field figures to get targeted a fair amount.

This stinks for me though. It's between him and Will Allen for the last CB spot on my roster. Jackson's fantasy potential is much higher, but Allen seems to be a far more reliable guy over the course of the season. *&%^#%^ underperforming players! :wall:

20 solos and 3 assists through 3 games.
I drafted him last year, cut him to get my roster down to size when I saw him listed as a nickel CB, and then made it a point to pick him back up this last week. He looks good in fantasy. :thumbup:What's his long-term playing time prognosis, Colts watchers?

20 solos and 3 assists through 3 games.
I drafted him last year, cut him to get my roster down to size when I saw him listed as a nickel CB, and then made it a point to pick him back up this last week. He looks good in fantasy. :thumbup:What's his long-term playing time prognosis, Colts watchers?
From everything I've seen and read, Charles Tillman, but better. Thanks Jene for keying me into this guy. I think he's going to be huge.

from the 05 rookie DB report (it has taken him a while to get going... technically he still isn't listed as a starter, after talk that he was expected to beat out harper or david in pre-season... even as a nickle, the cover two system generates so many CB tackles that he is still doing very well... & in dynasty leagues, harper won't be starter forever... he looked overmatched in coverage a little bit earlier, maybe in pre-season, but that can be schemed around... he is a strong open field tackler)...

CB Marlin Jackson, Indianapolis Colts (Michigan), 1.29

Overview: Sensational athlete won USA Today All-American and state Player of the Year awards as a PA prep (four year starter at RB, WR and DB and a three year starter in basketball). Garnered All-American recognition three of four seasons at Michigan and served as team captain his senior year. A DB with the multi-faceted physical traits and skill set to line up at CB or safety (played every secondary position for the Wolverines). Safety cross-training made him an outstanding open field tackler. A big, strong athlete (6'0" 196 and 23 reps) who will match up against some behemoths in the "Land of the Giants" (WRs that is, with Andre Johnson, Drew Bennett, Matt Jones and Reggie Williams)... otherwise known as the AFC South. With mighty-mite safeties Bob Sanders and Mike Doss in the Colts secondary, it makes sense to have a super-sized CB (6'0" 196). The Colts coveted first rounder employs textbook, picture-perfect form and is a solid, wrap up open field tackler (a unifying thread among the FBG Top 5 DBs). While some scouts think he's better suited to play safety in the NFL (a 4.5 at his workout may have dispelled that notion), he is most comfortable at CB and the Colts are expected to keep him there, at least initially. Outstanding football smarts and leadership; he made all the secondary calls and coverage adjustments based on shift matchups. The addition of stud Big Ten secondary aces in consecutive years (with Iowa SS/FS Bob Sanders and Jackson) could weaponize Dungy's defense, yielding hope that IND can finally field a stopping unit worthy of being coupled to the #1 offense in the NFL... instead of former year's instances of having a Ferrari body bolted on to a Pinto chassis.

Fantasy Outlook: The Colts have been starting their recent high draft choices on defense almost immediately, as Freeney, Doss and Sanders all started right away. One layer with which to screen prospects and help with projections is at the system level. The Colts primarily use a scheme called the Cover Two (brought from Tampa Bay by HC Tony Dungy). It is a zone-based defense. The important thing to take away from this is that CBs in this scheme are positioned to rack up a lot of run support tackles because they don't turn and run with WRs... they hand them off to safeties instead (deployed in deep halves to keep action in front). Garo Yepremian could get 100 tackles in the Cover Two. It has made stars of Ronde Barber (TB), Jerametrius Butler (STL) and Harper in recent years, and is expected to do the same for Charles Tillman (Bears HC Lovie Smith from Dungy coaching tree) and Jackson. When evaluating IDPs, it's always important to consider the scheme a player plays in as well as his talent level. The former Wolverine All-American CB has safety size, a physical, aggressive, run stuffing mentality, and is embedded in a scheme conducive to maximizing CB tackles. Bonus plan could include a few INTs and RAC skills. Some scouts think he is better in zone, so the Cover Two aligns well with his strengths. Nearly as perfect a marriage of a prospects skill set meshing with his system and scheme as there was in the entire 2005 draft. One of the top two rookie CBs in redrafts with Rolle and among the three top dynasty prospects along with Carlos Rogers. Could surprise with a top 20 DB finish. Not as athletic as former Ohio State phenom Chris Gamble, but he is both more physical in run support and polished in coverage.

I'm guessing with the loss of Thornton, the Colts are probably more comfortable in their nickel defense this year anyway. If their offense can remain productive, it won't matter that much that they can't stop the run very well.

I drafted him late while others took Rolle and Rogers early. Heard good things about him last year and everything pointed to the start of a good career. I never saw him play in preseason but everyone seemed to be down on him. But now he's gotten some chances due to injury and is lighting it up. Essentially, he went from SOD to somewhat of a bust back to SOD. Is that a correct timeline?

I drafted him late while others took Rolle and Rogers early. Heard good things about him last year and everything pointed to the start of a good career. I never saw him play in preseason but everyone seemed to be down on him. But now he's gotten some chances due to injury and is lighting it up. Essentially, he went from SOD to somewhat of a bust back to SOD. Is that a correct timeline?
I think that's fair. He's still benefiting greatly from nagging injuries to both Jason David and Nick Harper as well as the amount of time the Colts have been playing against multiple receiver sets. I haven't heard that his coverage skills have dramatically improved over the past month, so it's likely that his production may drop off some if/when the starting corners get healthy.

I think that's fair. He's still benefiting greatly from nagging injuries to both Jason David and Nick Harper as well as the amount of time the Colts have been playing against multiple receiver sets. I haven't heard that his coverage skills have dramatically improved over the past month, so it's likely that his production may drop off some if/when the starting corners get healthy.
That's my concern too.

Joe's injury report says Jackson was out with an undisclosed injury following a leg-whip.

Fortunately I started Will Allen in his place, my thinking being that in a game against a much weaker opponent they'd likely pull him if they got up big in order to protect him.

There's something to be said for dumb luck. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread