What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maroney's Pro Day...... (1 Viewer)

Gopher back to make special appearance… Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney will run at a special individual workout later today. Maroney was not able to participate in the Gophers’ official pro day a couple of weeks ago after he tweaked a hamstring. Maroney is in a battle with RBs DeAngelo Williams of Memphis and LenDale White of Southern Cal for the 2-3-4 ranking at the position behind Reggie Bush Southern Cal’s ‘other’ back. For the record, Williams works out himself tomorrow, while White and Bush will workout at the USC pro day on April 2nd. Meanwhile, other workouts today include both Auburn, with one of this year's top OTs in Marcus McNeill, along with Georgia, which has a plethora of first-day prospects of its own including TE Leonard Pope, OG Max Jean-Gilles and DB Greg Blue.

His workout was scheduled for 1:30pmFrom nfl.com

Maroney Misses Pro Day Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney did not work out at the Golden Gophers Pro Day on March 6 due to a strained hamstring. He has rescheduled to work out on campus on March 23 at 1:30 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what does a running back do on pro day other than run the 40? I keep envisioning a junior high kid running down the hallway and mimicking a Barry Sanders' spin move.

So what does a running back do on pro day other than run the 40? I keep envisioning a junior high kid running down the hallway and mimicking a Barry Sanders' spin move.
I would think shuttle, vertical, pass catching drills, etc. considering he didn't give the combine a go.

Receiving drills and agility drills would seem to be the important ones.

so it's the same as a

bump
Not quite. If you go back to the main page you can simply scan down the column on the left to see all of the threads you have posted in. They are the ones with a black dot on them. Hence, the :blackdot: .

so it's the same as a

bump
Not quite. If you go back to the main page you can simply scan down the column on the left to see all of the threads you have posted in. They are the ones with a black dot on them. Hence, the :blackdot: .
Too bad I'm colorblind.
Then simply look for the ones with a non-specific circle in the middle. ;)

From NFL.com

Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney worked out March 23 on campus. Maroney (6-0 1/8, 215) ran indoors on FieldTurf. He ran one 40 -- times were anywhere from 4.47 to 4.49. He did not run the shuttles or the three-cone drill. He had a 35½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-3 broad jump and 21 bench presses. Maroney did not participate in Minnesota's Pro Day on March 6 due to a strained hamstring.

From NFL.com

Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney worked out March 23 on campus. Maroney (6-0 1/8, 215) ran indoors on FieldTurf. He ran one 40 -- times were anywhere from 4.47 to 4.49.
Idiot. Run it again. Prove that you can do it (run sub-4.5) more than once and you stay in the 1st round.

From NFL.com

Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney worked out March 23 on campus. Maroney (6-0 1/8, 215) ran indoors on FieldTurf. He ran one 40 -- times were anywhere from 4.47 to 4.49.
:confused: Why don't they just use one official, electronic timer?

From NFL.com

Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney worked out March 23 on campus. Maroney (6-0 1/8, 215) ran indoors on FieldTurf. He ran one 40 -- times were anywhere from 4.47 to 4.49. He did not run the shuttles or the three-cone drill. He had a 35½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-3 broad jump and 21 bench presses. Maroney did not participate in Minnesota's Pro Day on March 6 due to a strained hamstring.
I know he may be still recovering, but isn't it unusual that he didn't run the three cone or the shuttle drills? I didn't see much of him this year. What kind of a back is he? Does he have a good change of direction or is he Tatum Bell?

From NFL.com

I know he may be still recovering, but isn't it unusual that he didn't run the three cone or the shuttle drills? I didn't see much of him this year. What kind of a back is he? Does he have a good change of direction or is he Tatum Bell?
Bigger and slower than Bell, but similar one cut and go style. He gets props for having nice moves, but I haven't seen them. He runs with good patience and vision. He doesn't have good initial burst, but he will hit a secondary hole with nice explosiveness. He sets up his blockers like an old pro. Regardless of his 40, his is a threat to go the distance if he sees open field. I wonder how much the hammy affected this work out, but this doesn't upgrade him or downgrade him in my mind. I have never considered him in a tier with the top 4 though. Since mid-season, I have said he belonged at the top of a second tier, but not with Bush, Williams, White. I still think that's the case. Better upside than any of the others (with the possible exception of Norwood, but that's just me on koolaid).

I missed most of his early season games before getting dinged up. When I saw him (again he was not 100%) he wasn't as impressive as I hoped.

He is going in the first round. Thats all i keep hearing around here. If they pass on him the town will be on fire that night :rant:

Where am I?

With these numbers I don't he's a sure fire first rounder anymore.

Chaos Commish describes him pretty well, although I think he does have good inital burst as well as secondary burst which really allows him to break off long runs.

Hopefully Chaos can get us some more scoop on his workout and who is looking at him with interest.

From NFL.com

Bigger and slower than Bell, but similar one cut and go style. He gets props for having nice moves, but I haven't seen them. He runs with good patience and vision. He doesn't have good initial burst, but he will hit a secondary hole with nice explosiveness. He sets up his blockers like an old pro. Regardless of his 40, his is a threat to go the distance if he sees open field. I wonder how much the hammy affected this work out, but this doesn't upgrade him or downgrade him in my mind. I have never considered him in a tier with the top 4 though. Since mid-season, I have said he belonged at the top of a second tier, but not with Bush, Williams, White. I still think that's the case. Better upside than any of the others (with the possible exception of Norwood, but that's just me on koolaid).
In general, I think this "one-40" performance is going to hurt him. The biggest knock on Maroney is his hands. From the few Gopher games I saw, it seems like LM often mistakes a screen pass for a mugger coming at him with a knife. The guy really fights the ball when catching it.For him not to do any position/receiving drills is going to sour a lot of teams who don't neither the time nor the inclination to bring him in for a personal workout.

I think Maroney and Calhoun are two guys that are dependent on getting onto a team with the right offensive blocking scheme. If they do, I think they can both be great NFL RBs. But there is that risk that other RBs below them on most boards (Addai, Norwood, Harrison) do not have, IMO. Now you'd think that teams know that and would only draft them if they fit the team's RB "requirements." But I swear that teams don't realize that all the time.

From NFL.com

NFL.com has also added a note that he is still bothered by the hamstring and that is why he didn't run more.IMO, he is being handled well by his agent/agents. He shouldn't run if he is hurt and the one sub 4.5 40 shows he does have elite speed.

One funny thing is that I think he measured an inch smaller at the combine?

edit to add that I disagree with Construxboy - IMO Maroney is not a system (i.e. 1 cut runner) type RB. I think he would excel anywhere he goes.

From NFL.com

NFL.com has also added a note that he is still bothered by the hamstring and that is why he didn't run more.IMO, he is being handled well by his agent/agents. He shouldn't run if he is hurt and the one sub 4.5 40 shows he does have elite speed.

One funny thing is that I think he measured an inch smaller at the combine?

edit to add that I disagree with Construxboy - IMO Maroney is not a system (i.e. 1 cut runner) type RB. I think he would excel anywhere he goes.
I hope he does as I have him in a Keeper league. I just think that he needs more daylight than other great RBs. We'll see and I do need to see more film on him.

Users who are viewing this thread