What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marques Colston, WR, New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2012 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Marques Colston, WR, New Orleans Saints

Player Page Link: Marques Colston Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :popcorn: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Colston is an interesting prospect. You are now dealing with an aging (body-wise) WR who has only played a full slate twice in his career. With that said, he tends to only miss a couple of games and his numbers while not "elite" would be on target if he could play the full-tilt. He tends to get his TDs (his lowest is 7 over a 14+ game season) and he is usually good for 70+ receptions and 1000+ yards. In PPR, you are already at 210+ points and that seems to be a floor, if healthy.

I am honestly not sure how to project Saints players with all the Bounty Gate stuff and Brees' contract, but feel more confident projecting on the offensive-side for this team versus the defense...in fact, if the defense falters, you may see more "air time" and that can only help a guy like Colston. Brees seems like the kind of guy to work for a contract versus sulk, so I see the following for Colston...one caveat in my projections...I see Meachem's numbers being split amongst the WRs, and in fact, think Henderson (who played a similar role) benefiting most, but I still think Colston will get a slight bump:

85 receptions, 1200 yards, 9 TDs.

I've got him at 84/1156/9.

Completely agree about the defense taking the hit because of Bountygate, which could actually make the offense more productive if that's even possible. I have confidence they will make Brees happy with a contract.

crimnally underated, seems to play better at the end of the season than the start (cltuch in FFL playoffs) and always seems to have nagging injuries.

Career numbers are simialr to Greg Jennings, yet Jennings goes way before him. Absolute value, WR2 socring for a WR3 price. Colston = Value

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got him at 84/1156/9.

Completely agree about the defense taking the hit because of Bountygate, which could actually make the offense more productive if that's even possible. I have confidence they will make Brees happy with a contract.
i'm very confident the saints defense will be much improved. they've overhauled their LB corps across the board with lofton anchoring the middle, for starters. they've got to get some improved play along the DL but those LBs are a vast improvement over the past few years.colston is colston. i expect he'll have another 75/1100/6 td type of season. i think teams will forget about him some as they try to neutralize sproles and graham. he'll be good again but this might be his last truly vital season on the saints. age either erodes the skills or the body. henderson and moore all have their roles. no surprises there.

I think he got into a groove near the end with Brees and with a healthy off-season, it should continue

He was 28-421-5 in last 4 games

I think he is better now because of Graham.

I see 95-1250-11 TD's this year. He has been a target in redrafts this year. Even had to draft him 3.2 in the SL over Nelson, Marshall, or Smith. He is one reason I love drafting near the end to grab him late 3rd as he seems to slip to this point.

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
...seems to play better at the end of the season than the start (cltuch in FFL playoffs) and always seems to have nagging injuries.
Agree. He has single-handedly bounced me from the playoffs twice and it seems like he pops up just when you overlook him because all you ever hear about is "his knee is this" or "he's nursing [insert body part].But when the dust settles, I think his owners are always overall happy with him.

I think the discount is because of the microfracture surgery on his knees. Wouldn't want to bet on him in a long-term contract keeper league, but in redraft his price seems to be appropriately discounted.

colston is colston. i expect he'll have another 75/1100/6 td type of season. i think teams will forget about him some as they try to neutralize sproles and graham. he'll be good again but this might be his last truly vital season on the saints. age either erodes the skills or the body. henderson and moore all have their roles. no surprises there.
I think the TDs might be a tad low, he's only had 6 or below once in his career ('08), so I'd think he'd be good for 8-9 or so.

Currently I have him at 85/1114/7.

Colston has several things in his favor:

1) A potent passing attack.

2) A nose of for the end zone.

3) And perhaps most importantly. The biggest drawback to picking any Saints player (or Packer or Patriot really too) is that they have so many weapons there's always that chance that the player just doesn't get his normal amount of targets in a week. With Colston, he's so sure handed that even if he only gets 5 targets you still have a good shot at getting 4 receptions out of it.

Love him as a WR2 with WR1 upside if he can stay healthy for a full 16.

Currently I have him at 85/114/7.

3) And perhaps most importantly. The biggest drawback to picking any Saints player (or Packer or Patriot really too) is that they have so many weapons there's always that chance that the player just doesn't get his normal amount of targets in a week. With Colston, he's so sure handed that even if he only gets 5 targets you still have a good shot at getting 4 receptions out of it.

1.3 ypr. Dang...

Currently I have him at 85/114/7.

1.3 ypr. Dang...
SOrry, should have been 1114 yards

not sure but how can you sit him in that offense? things will turn around. patience....that whole offense is out of whack right now. brees is getting his numbers but it aint pretty

Colston will rebound with a 100 yard 2 TD game next week. I'm not worried about anyone that plays on the Saints offense. Even Ingram has a little value as a TD vulture.

This "foot injury" has got me a bit worried. He was close to two tds but hes only caught 7 of his 15 targets which is troublesome for a possession receiver. Either Brees and him are not on the same page or this foot is a major issue and hes not getting open, hopefully were not looking at a turf toe. Im not worried about long term but for the next few weeks with this foot injury and catching less than 50% of his targets is cause for concern.

Well Rotoworld reports:

"Latest NewsRecent NewsMarques Colston (foot) was limited in Wednesday's practice.Colston was limited in Week 1 practices, but absent from last week's injury report. The Saints are likely just managing his reps. His status will be updated Thursday. Sep 19 - 3:12 PM"

Dang foot injuries. I was just about to make an offer for him, but no way now. So sick of bummy feet.

if he plays you have to start him. like stated above, he always starts slow. I really don't think his foot is that big a deal. he looked pretty good to me both games. Brees is just not throwing a ton to the WRs so far. I believe he threw only 13 times last game to all the wr combined. that could change at any time.

if he plays you have to start him. like stated above, he always starts slow. I really don't think his foot is that big a deal. he looked pretty good to me both games. Brees is just not throwing a ton to the WRs so far. I believe he threw only 13 times last game to all the wr combined. that could change at any time.
Think Sproles had 6 targets on their first drive last week. At least Nicks can BOOM for 200 and.a tug on a bum wheel ... Colston has been underwhelming. Outshined by Moore, and not cashing in. Big make or break week here. And why do I feel that when it's all said and dine he'll post: 85/1100/10 ?

Think Sproles had 6 targets on their first drive last week. At least Nicks can BOOM for 200 and.a tug on a bum wheel ... Colston has been underwhelming. Outshined by Moore, and not cashing in. Big make or break week here. And why do I feel that when it's all said and dine he'll post: 85/1100/10 ?
because he will. hes done something similar every year

I hope so. I really don't want to trade him. He almost scored twice last week and again in week one.

What I don't understand is how in the hell does Sproles get so open all of the time? Is Graham pulling all the coverage away?

As the previous poster stated, Brees isn't targeting his WRs much, that's a little worrisome.

I hope so. I really don't want to trade him. He almost scored twice last week and again in week one. What I don't understand is how in the hell does Sproles get so open all of the time? Is Graham pulling all the coverage away?As the previous poster stated, Brees isn't targeting his WRs much, that's a little worrisome.
teams have a adjusted to the Saints offense. they're rushing brees HARD. they are running soft zone coverages to take away the passing lanes. brees isn't getting the time to throw and is settling for short throws, screens and dump offs. i think it was one of the yahoo writers that said brees is averaging a full yard less than his career per completion. the fix, of course, is to run the ball and they have the personnel to do this.

Great buy low opportunity with Colston right now, he could easily have had 2 TD's by now and people would be calling him a top 10 WR. He's a notorious slow starter and usually shines come FF playoff time. Saints should be involved in plenty of shootouts this year with the horrible defense. I thin he finishes the year as a top 15 WR for sure, very possibly top 10.

Great buy low opportunity with Colston right now, he could easily have had 2 TD's by now and people would be calling him a top 10 WR. He's a notorious slow starter and usually shines come FF playoff time. Saints should be involved in plenty of shootouts this year with the horrible defense. I thin he finishes the year as a top 15 WR for sure, very possibly top 10.
More info?

More info?
I believe he fumbled the ball at the GL in week 1 and caught a ball inches away from the GL in week 2. I'm not 100% sure though.I've been meaning to buy low but this whole foot deal scares me. He is Mr. Glass after all.

More info?
I believe he fumbled the ball at the GL in week 1 and caught a ball inches away from the GL in week 2. I'm not 100% sure though.I've been meaning to buy low but this whole foot deal scares me. He is Mr. Glass after all.
hes had a couple grabs in the redzone that could have been scores and a long rec that could have been a score if he could have stayed in bounds. guess no one knows anything else about the foot. I am starting him as long as hes active

More info?
The above is accurate. He fumbled into the endzone in week 1, and week 2 he was tackled on the 1-yard line. I painfully watched that play live.....ugh. So yeah, Colston could easily have 2 TDs right now (and frankly should have 2 TDs), along with 1 less fumble lost.

More info?
The above is accurate. He fumbled into the endzone in week 1, and week 2 he was tackled on the 1-yard line. I painfully watched that play live.....ugh. So yeah, Colston could easily have 2 TDs right now (and frankly should have 2 TDs), along with 1 less fumble lost.
:thumbup:

I agree. His first two weeks could have been much better. And although Brees and company are out of sync, they are still moving the ball and putting up points. Colston is in line for some big weeks ahead (assuming he stays healthy).

I've generally steered clear of all Saints. I don't think anyone has properly estimated the impact of not having Payton all season. He's generally credited with the offense, so why would people assume that his absence wouldn't hurt the offense? Add to that the fact that they aren't even using the interim head coach until week 8 -- they're literally using an interim interim head coach. The loss to Carolina is looking particularly brutal. And Colston is hardly the focus of the offense. The 11 targets week 1 was nice, but 4 targets in week 2 (on 47 total targets) was not. I think there is much to be worried about with Colston moving forward.

the saints as a whole look like a bust. jimmy graham had 4 catches for 16 yards. i know he had a td but jeez

I'm officially worried. 3 games against pathetic defenses and no TDs. His foot issue is a bigger problem than we thought.

I'm going to continue to sit on him. I'm confident enough in what I have seen that I moved Nicks for a RB upgrade.

If I can package him with Gates for a better WR, I will, but otherwise...Colston will be fine.

I'm officially worried. 3 games against pathetic defenses and no TDs. His foot issue is a bigger problem than we thought.
it doesn't have anything to do with the defenses. instead it has everything to do with the saints right now. they look to be a mess.

The Saints definitely have a lot of problems right now and there are some reasons to be concerned. But let's not forget he fumbled a touchdown in week 1 and in week 2 he was tackled at the one yard line. If either of those go our way things are looking better. If both of those go our way we're all happy Colston owners.

it doesn't have anything to do with the defenses. instead it has everything to do with the saints right now. they look to be a mess.
brees is barely throwing to the WRs....mostly short stuff to graham and sproles..
This. :goodposting:
Brees, Brady and Rogers have far less time to throw than they did last year.

I think all of the rhythm passing attacks are struggling in no small part due to the fact that the replacement officials are allowing a lot more hand-checking down the field. Timing routes are much tougher to run in that environment, which I think is contributing to the struggles of some QBs.

WRT the Saints, the loss of Payton is huge. The fact that projections and fantasy expectations don't reflect that still mystifies me. If we accept that Payton is a really good head coach and brilliant offensively, why would his absence not cause us to downgrade the team offensively?

WRT to Colston specifically, he's not remotely close to being the focus of this passing attack. He was the 6th best receiver (including RBs) on the team this week -- and there weren't all that many receiving points to be shared. Some of you guys are grasping at a target in the endzone on the opening drive as an indication that things are turning around for Colston. Maybe that's an OK assessment for some end-gamer, but I'm betting you took Colston much earlier than that.

what's this all about?

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported Sunday morning that Marques Colston has been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his foot.

It's why he was listed on the injury report leading up to Week 1, and again leading up to Week 3. Per Glazer, Colston's problem actually fixed itself in the Saints' Week 2 game and he's "finally pain free."

did his plantar fascia snap?

So we have funky scoring in our league with 2 ppr and bonuses for yds/catch %, but here is Colston's scoring line from last year. Six of his last twelve weeks were 30+ pts. That said, the Saints look a lot different this year

Colston 24.1 0.0 0.0 2.8 20.9 37.8 39.8 17.0 17.2 31.3 B 23.8 17.4 40.5 27.1 30.1 48.5

what's this all about?

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported Sunday morning that Marques Colston has been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his foot.

It's why he was listed on the injury report leading up to Week 1, and again leading up to Week 3. Per Glazer, Colston's problem actually fixed itself in the Saints' Week 2 game and he's "finally pain free."

did his plantar fascia snap?
OK well if this is true. I feel much better about him. This next game hopefully he can establish himself. He's been so close to scoring what, 4 TDs this year?

Users who are viewing this thread