What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (4 Viewers)

It’s ridiculous that the “forehead kiss” scene is generating controversy.
I didn't know about any controversy but it was completely unnecessary in the context of the movie. It's like Disney just threw it in to be woke. Shocking. Didn't even know those 2 were together.
They took it from the source material.

The queer undertones in the latest “Black Panther” film are just that — undertones. At no point do Aneka or Ayo explicitly declare their love for each other, much less have a sexually intimate scene together. They do engage in friendly banter at the beginning of the movie and embrace, along with exchanging said forehead kiss, at the end.

Their queerness, of course, is not imagined: The two characters were indeed written as queer in a 2017 comic, and their forbidden relationship was a significant part of its plot. Aneka’s sexual identity was also a big reason that Michaela Coel decided to take on the part.
Thats why I said in the context of the movie...

It was weird, came out of nowhere. It would've been like Mbaku kissing Shuri on the forehead and calling her my love at the end of the movie.

It’s ridiculous that the “forehead kiss” scene is generating controversy.
I didn't know about any controversy but it was completely unnecessary in the context of the movie. It's like Disney just threw it in to be woke. Shocking. Didn't even know those 2 were together.
They took it from the source material.

The queer undertones in the latest “Black Panther” film are just that — undertones. At no point do Aneka or Ayo explicitly declare their love for each other, much less have a sexually intimate scene together. They do engage in friendly banter at the beginning of the movie and embrace, along with exchanging said forehead kiss, at the end.

Their queerness, of course, is not imagined: The two characters were indeed written as queer in a 2017 comic, and their forbidden relationship was a significant part of its plot. Aneka’s sexual identity was also a big reason that Michaela Coel decided to take on the part.

It was weird, came out of nowhere. It would've been like Mbaku kissing Shuri on the forehead and calling her my love at the end of the movie.

Disagree. Mbaku and Shurri together would have been a big plot point.
This was just showing that the warriors are people and a brief insight into their lives. If it makes someone uncomfortable, that person might have issues.
It’s similar to Phastos. On the way out of the theater, a work friend met up with me and complained (a bit too loudly for me) about his scenes. Meanwhile you have Natasha and Bruce, Tony and pepper, Peter and MJ, Gamora and star lord, happy and aunt May… No issues with those 🤷

Last edited:
Black Panther 2 was so much better than any of the other Phase 4 movies. It felt like a superhero movie with a cool villain, cool gadgets, great music. I'm so sick of all the magic and multiverses in the rest of the phase 4 movies. I have a feeling Antman gonna be a huge disappointment for the same reason since movie takes place in Quantum Realm.
It was my 2nd favorite (very close with Shang Chi), far and away the best Phase 4 movie IMO was Spiderman No Way Home.

Phase 4 rankings:
  • Spiderman No Way Home
  • BP2
  • Shang Chi
  • Love and Thunder
  • Black Widow
  • Multiverse of Madness
  • Eternals (only watched 20 minutes)

Weren’t you upset with the gay storyline in This Is Us because it wasn’t part of the game, but now you’re upset with two characters being gay that are gay in the source material?

Last edited:
Weren’t you upset with the gay storyline in This Is Us because it wasn’t part of the game, but now you’re upset with two characters being gay that are gay in the source material?
No

First of all not upset about either.

Second of all, my complaints had nothing to do with being part of the game.
Fair enough, it’s not the way you’re coming across (some of the words you use make it seem you’re a bit upset) but not really worth pursuing any further.

Black Panther 2 was so much better than any of the other Phase 4 movies. It felt like a superhero movie with a cool villain, cool gadgets, great music. I'm so sick of all the magic and multiverses in the rest of the phase 4 movies. I have a feeling Antman gonna be a huge disappointment for the same reason since movie takes place in Quantum Realm.
It was my 2nd favorite (very close with Shang Chi), far and away the best Phase 4 movie IMO was Spiderman No Way Home.

Phase 4 rankings:
  • Spiderman No Way Home
  • BP2
  • Shang Chi
  • Love and Thunder
  • Black Widow
  • Multiverse of Madness

Just to point out that people have different tastes, my favorite would be multiverse of madness, and eternals would also be near the top. I liked how Eternals tried a different formula. We have had so many super hero movies that have had the same formula so i like it when they branch out and tries something different.

It is also why i was hoping Moon Knight would take off.

Phase 4 rankings:
  • Spiderman No Way Home
  • BP2
  • Shang Chi
  • Love and Thunder
  • Black Widow
  • Multiverse of Madness

Just to point out that people have different tastes, my favorite would be multiverse of madness, and eternals would also be near the top. I liked how Eternals tried a different formula. We have had so many super hero movies that have had the same formula so i like it when they branch out and tries something different.

It is also why i was hoping Moon Knight would take off.
Absolutely! That's why there are so many flavors. I feel like I've given Multiverse of Madness an unfair shake but I had such high expectations for it. I loved WandaVision and Loki and built something up in my mind for MoM, and it just went an entirely different direction. It definitely had some very cool moments and overall I still liked the movie, just not as much as the others before it. I may have to reevaluate Black Widow being above it, as pretty much the only thing I really liked out of it was Yelena's debut.

At some point I will have to watch the rest of the Eternals. I did not like the concept at all going in and the first 20 minutes did not grab me.

My opinion only but I think Eternals is hot garbage. Slow, meandering plot, no investment in any of the characters, little reason to care about all the blah, blah, blah that is used to explain the silly plot, Robb Stark has 0 charisma, John Stark under utilized and eternally loooooong run time. Overall just a boring mess to me. Took multiple sittings to finish and at the end was just a grudge watch so I could wipe it off my plate.

Antman getting horrible reviews. Color me shocked.

bad reviews from critics are often the best reviewed by fans, I'm not saying that this is the case here but "critics" are out of touch with the general pulic these days.

bad reviews from critics are often the best reviewed by fans, I'm not saying that this is the case here but "critics" are out of touch with the general pulic these days.
Yeah thats true but all their criticisms are exactly what I was predicting would ruin it.

Antman Quantumania has a 48% rating on rottentomatoes. This is now the 2nd lowest rated MCU movie right ahead of Eternals. Yikes

Anyone see it?

Took the Mrs to see it last night. We enjoyed it relative to its position within the MCU, but as an individual film was a bit meh. The Ant-Man series ranks towards the bottom of my MCU favorites. Their inconsistent depiction of the physics of growing/shrinking just bugs the hell out of me. Sometimes when they're small and fighting, the action behaves as if they were still their full weight while at other times they're depicted as being practically weightless when shrunken. Same with the objects they grow/shrink. I find the inconsistency maddening. This film introduces at least one new inconsistency to the franchise that, to my knowledge, was never explained in the film.
In the original Ant-Man, Scott Lang enters the Quantum Realm after going sub-atomic to to destroy Darren Cross' armor. To return from the Quantum Realm, he places one of those Growing Discs in his fancy belt buckle and uses it to return to the real world. When they get sucked into the Quantum Realm in this film, they have the same Discs and the same suit, but they never make any attempt to return home using the same method that worked in the original film.
The film does have Kang, though. He's the reason to go see this movie. Don't think of this as an "Ant Man and the Wasp" film. Think of it as "The Introduction of Kang" and you'll enjoy it more. I don't think there was much movement for the original Ant Man characters in this film. The most interesting parts of the film are the backstories and relationship between Janet and Kang. Everyone else just feels rote and are mainly along for the ride.
At least they kept it close to 2 hours. Even when it slowed down at spots, I never felt it was dragging.
I did wonder afterwards if it may have been better in 3D. There were lots of CGI scenes that looked like they would have benefited from that technology.

If you're an MCU fan, go see it. It's enough to warrant the price of a ticket, but don't expect anything revolutionary.

J

Just got back from it with the family.

While there were some fun spots in the movie, overall we ranked it in the lower tier of MCU movies.

But I want to acknowledge that this movie had very little chance to impress me as a top tier MCU movie as I don't like Kang, the Multiverse saga (for the most part) or the quantum realm.

Since I am a MCU junkie I would probably even rewatch it, but I also have rewatched Thor 2, Hulk and Guardians 2 multiple times so I have a very high tolerance and can still find some things to enjoy.

This movie appears important for the phase 5 and 6 arcs so if you enjoy the overall arc, you should see this.

Took the Mrs to see it last night. We enjoyed it relative to its position within the MCU, but as an individual film was a bit meh. The Ant-Man series ranks towards the bottom of my MCU favorites. Their inconsistent depiction of the physics of growing/shrinking just bugs the hell out of me. Sometimes when they're small and fighting, the action behaves as if they were still their full weight while at other times they're depicted as being practically weightless when shrunken. Same with the objects they grow/shrink. I find the inconsistency maddening. This film introduces at least one new inconsistency to the franchise that, to my knowledge, was never explained in the film.
In the original Ant-Man, Scott Lang enters the Quantum Realm after going sub-atomic to to destroy Darren Cross' armor. To return from the Quantum Realm, he places one of those Growing Discs in his fancy belt buckle and uses it to return to the real world. When they get sucked into the Quantum Realm in this film, they have the same Discs and the same suit, but they never make any attempt to return home using the same method that worked in the original film.
The film does have Kang, though. He's the reason to go see this movie. Don't think of this as an "Ant Man and the Wasp" film. Think of it as "The Introduction of Kang" and you'll enjoy it more. I don't think there was much movement for the original Ant Man characters in this film. The most interesting parts of the film are the backstories and relationship between Janet and Kang. Everyone else just feels rote and are mainly along for the ride.
At least they kept it close to 2 hours. Even when it slowed down at spots, I never felt it was dragging.
I did wonder afterwards if it may have been better in 3D. There were lots of CGI scenes that looked like they would have benefited from that technology.

If you're an MCU fan, go see it. It's enough to warrant the price of a ticket, but don't expect anything revolutionary.

J

For your spoiler I agree for the most part but they also did make note a couple of times that where they ended up was in a much different part of the Quantum Realm than previously so maybe they can explain it away saying things worked a little differently there...? Yeah its a stretch but it is the best I got...

sooooo..... with the horrible reviews coming in from being meh to horrible, is it ok to not like this film and not be accused of being racist, sexist, fascist, etc?

My son and I are going this weekend so I'll stay out of here until then. Pretty low expectations going in, which is a shame because I think Jonathan Majors is great and Kang has potential.

Saw it tonight. Liked it better thank BP2.

My son and I are going this weekend so I'll stay out of here until then. Pretty low expectations going in, which is a shame because I think Jonathan Majors is great and Kang has potential.
Saw it at a late night showing, I liked it. Not sure at all where the hate is coming from. My 2 sons thought it was just ok, but nothing like Eternals level bad. Will tell more later.

sooooo..... with the horrible reviews coming in from being meh to horrible, is it ok to not like this film and not be accused of being racist, sexist, fascist, etc?
No. :penalty:

In all seriousness I’m still trying to watch the MCU but it’s a slog. Finally pulled up BP2 and it’s boring. I have an hour to go and I'm wondering if it’s ever going to end. I have no investment in any of these characters.

I don’t care about Kang either. I’ll watch Ant Man when it comes to Disney+ and maybe I’ll change my mind. He didn’t hook me in Loki. I’m not a comics reader, so no history. I remember him being in at least one of the Avengers cartoons right before/after the MCU kicked off, and I didn’t care for him there either. Maybe the new phase it a loss for me.

I’m still holding out hope for Galactus one day.

Saw it last night and thought it was okay. The Ant-Man series feels more like Wanda, Hawkeye and Black Widow. They are better off as shows and don't need their own movie franchise.

I think Kang is going to be awesome, however I don't like how they set him up. I like the way Thanos was set up as the baddest villain.

as I don't like Kang, the Multiverse saga (for the most part) or the quantum realm.
:lmao: this made me laugh. Why see it then? Completionist?

Edit: read the rest of your post. Makes sense.

I like Kang alright but agree with the other two. Doubt I ever see this movie. I’ve given up seeing all the MCU stuff and will just pick and choose now. This one sounds terrible.

But I am tired of all this quantum/time travel/multiverse stuff. I liked it better when bad guys simply came to Earth in the current time and fought the good guys.
They’ve run out of stakes. Everything is saving the world and then the galaxy and then the multiverse. It’s boring now. They need to focus on villains who are personally hurting the good guys. That’s what makes Spider-Man so beloved. Batman too, in the other comic universe.

I think it’s over for MCU as the dominant force they were with the Chris Evans/Downey avengers. They’ll still make blockbusters and make money but they’re running out of gas.

No. :penalty:

In all seriousness I’m still trying to watch the MCU but it’s a slog. Finally pulled up BP2 and it’s boring. I have an hour to go and I'm wondering if it’s ever going to end. I have no investment in any of these characters.

I don’t care about Kang either. I’ll watch Ant Man when it comes to Disney+ and maybe I’ll change my mind. He didn’t hook me in Loki. I’m not a comics reader, so no history. I remember him being in at least one of the Avengers cartoons right before/after the MCU kicked off, and I didn’t care for him there either. Maybe the new phase it a loss for me.

I’m still holding out hope for Galactus one day.
I will say Kang in the movies was much more interesting to me than Kang in the Loki series.

Last edited:
Overall, I'm not a big fan of time travel and multiverses. I do hope we get back to more straightforward threats at some point. That being said, Jonathan Majors is really good in the role, Kang will be a formidable big bad, and as usual AntMan had some good laughs (not as many as the previous 2 but still good) and it featured good action. A middle tier Marvel movie, but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

Excited for Loki season 2.

I don't know if it has been mentioned already but when Harrison Ford takes over for William Hurt (RIP) as General Ross, the General will have asended to be President of the US. This will be shown in Captain America: New World Order.

Also, latest rumor that came out in the past 24 hours is that Chris Evans will have a small but important role to play in New World Order.

Last edited:
But I am tired of all this quantum/time travel/multiverse stuff. I liked it better when bad guys simply came to Earth in the current time and fought the good guys.
They’ve run out of stakes. Everything is saving the world and then the galaxy and then the multiverse. It’s boring now. They need to focus on villains who are personally hurting the good guys. That’s what makes Spider-Man so beloved. Batman too, in the other comic universe.

I think it’s over for MCU as the dominant force they were with the Chris Evans/Downey avengers. They’ll still make blockbusters and make money but they’re running out of gas.

I never looked at it this way, but it makes a lot of sense. My favorite MCU movies are all movies that had interesting stories and set up the villains well. Winter Solider, all the avengers, the first guardians. We should know more about Kang after this movie than we do.

I will say Kang in the movies was much more interesting to me than Kang in the Loki series.

Note to those that intend to watch Loki season 2 but don't want to see this movie, there is an end scene credit that you might be interested in as it is a direct setup to Loki season 2.

I loved Kang in the Loki series. He was the good Kang and while he did horrible things he did it because it was the lesser of two evils. Plus Majors played it perfectly. He made me feel like he was the orchestrator of it all and that he was just so tired and over it. He hated doing everything he did and knowing everything he knew.

My 20yo son and I watched today. We’ve seen every movie in the theater since the first iron man. He wasn’t overly thrilled with it, thinks the MCU has jumped the shark. I enjoyed it enough. Less than many others, probably about average overall. Definitely the 3rd of the 🐜 man movies which is my favorite franchise (other than maybe GotG).

The main thing we agreed on is the MCU needs more street level heroes and villains. Hopefully we get that with DD and echo.

Bill Murray was great.

Some great one liners, some will become memes. “It’s never too late to not be a ****”. “You were like a brother to me…” and the dude who likes holes 🤔
I actually think I might like this one more on rewatches.

More thoughts- I do like Cassie but really want to see more of the Chidi character (Quaz) and Jentora.

Last edited:

Phase 4 rankings:
  • Spiderman No Way Home
  • BP2
  • Shang Chi
  • Love and Thunder
  • Black Widow
  • Multiverse of Madness
Wow, I knew I'd checked out after they offed Thanos, but had no idea by how much. I've seen Spiderman and Dr. Strange as I find them to be compelling characters. Perhaps I'd have seen Wakanda 2 if not for Chadwick Boseman's untimely death. But that's it. No interest in any of the other movies.

It's not that I've fallen out of like with superhero movies. I'm actually a wee bit amped for the return of Michael Keaton and though Pattinson was good in the last Batman. Marvel just isn't doing it (and I'm sure part of it is sheer volume with all the Disney series tie-ins).

So super dumb question and I haven't seen it yet.

The Time Variance Association from Loki, or whatever it was called, is in the Quantum realm?
This is going to be spoilery. Don't go there.

@NewlyRetired should probably delete his spoiler.
Yeah I had avoided that situation. Hard to call it a spoiler with all the news out there but a lot of people try to avoid it.
We had. If I hadn't already seen the movie and then read that, I'd be plenty ticked off.

Nothing in here makes me want to spend money on this one. We saw BP2 and it was decent but Spider-Man has been the only one since the new phase that was really good. GotG3 still on my plate to see in person because I loved the first one (enough so that 2 didn’t ruin any feelings on 1) but it is interesting that my boys never even mentioned seeing this one.

My 13 year old and i saw Quantumania today. Went into it with low expectations and enjoyed it. At times it felt like a Star Wars movie or a Guardians movie with all the different alien type species. Does a decent job of setting up the coming multiverse incursion crisis. I'd say it's a mid level Marvel movie. Hard to compete with those that led up to the Infinity saga.

Also finally watched Wakanda Forever a couple days ago. It was OK but ranked in the lower end of Marvel movies for me.

I'm still a Marvel fanboy nerd and will gladly keep consuming what their are slinging. Just gotta remember there's so much material and that not everyone is going to be a home run, especially compared to the unbelievable run they had.

I think part of the "problem" is that every movie is now being judged against a run that was really remarkable. I thought this was a good popcorn flick, not great. Would agree that it was the least of the AntMan movies but by no means bad. Better than most Phase 4 options.

My 13 year old and i saw Quantumania today. Went into it with low expectations and enjoyed it. At times it felt like a Star Wars movie or a Guardians movie with all the different alien type species. Does a decent job of setting up the coming multiverse incursion crisis. I'd say it's a mid level Marvel movie. Hard to compete with those that led up to the Infinity saga.

Also finally watched Wakanda Forever a couple days ago. It was OK but ranked in the lower end of Marvel movies for me.

I'm still a Marvel fanboy nerd and will gladly keep consuming what their are slinging. Just gotta remember there's so much material and that not everyone is going to be a home run, especially compared to the unbelievable run they had.

Agreed on WF. I really like Shurri and almost all of the Wakandans. But Namor is probably my least favorite character in any of the movies. But then, I had the same reaction to Nebula at first and now she’s become a favorite. I doubt Namor will have the same arc.

I think part of the "problem" is that every movie is now being judged against a run that was really remarkable. I thought this was a good popcorn flick, not great. Would agree that it was the least of the AntMan movies but by no means bad. Better than most Phase 4 options.
Not sure I agree with you. Even before the Avengers and Infinity movies, you never felt like you were watching meh/bad movies. Yes, they absolutely got better after Captain America when they realize how much money they could make and took the movies to another level. That said, Eternals, Black Widow and Strange 2 were not good movies and I actually enjoyed almost all the TV shows (Moon Knight was disappointing, so much potential). Even BP2 had some ugh moments and I agree that Namor was a bit much.

I don’t think it’s just judging the movies against the past ones. I think if phase 4 was phase 1, there would be way less MCU fans. For whatever reason, they just have been meh overall.

Not sure I agree with you. Even before the Avengers and Infinity movies, you never felt like you were watching meh/bad movies. Yes, they absolutely got better after Captain America when they realize how much money they could make and took the movies to another level. That said, Eternals, Black Widow and Strange 2 were not good movies and I actually enjoyed almost all the TV shows (Moon Knight was disappointing, so much potential). Even BP2 had some ugh moments and I agree that Namor was a bit much.

I don’t think it’s just judging the movies against the past ones. I think if phase 4 was phase 1, there would be way less MCU fans. For whatever reason, they just have been meh overall.
I think peoples memories are also fairly short.

Go back and watch IM2, Hulk, Thor 2 etc, and if you watch with an unbiased eye, you will see some of those movies are equivalent to what we have seen in phase 4 in terms of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread