What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (4 Viewers)

I think part of the "problem" is that every movie is now being judged against a run that was really remarkable. I thought this was a good popcorn flick, not great. Would agree that it was the least of the AntMan movies but by no means bad. Better than most Phase 4 options.
Not sure I agree with you. Even before the Avengers and Infinity movies, you never felt like you were watching meh/bad movies. Yes, they absolutely got better after Captain America when they realize how much money they could make and took the movies to another level. That said, Eternals, Black Widow and Strange 2 were not good movies and I actually enjoyed almost all the TV shows (Moon Knight was disappointing, so much potential). Even BP2 had some ugh moments and I agree that Namor was a bit much.

I don’t think it’s just judging the movies against the past ones. I think if phase 4 was phase 1, there would be way less MCU fans. For whatever reason, they just have been meh overall.
I think peoples memories are also fairly short.

Go back and watch IM2, Hulk, Thor 2 etc, and if you watch with an unbiased eye, you will see some of those movies are equivalent to what we have seen in phase 4 in terms of quality.
This might be true, but in my case (and others, I’m sure since what I’m getting ready to mention has been mentioned a lot in this thread) IM2, etc. fit within an overall story I had bought into and was enjoying. This current phase, with the multiverse and time travel and, as a result, the potential for no real consequences, I just don’t care. I tried but I’ve just resigned myself to the fact I’ll get around to them when they’re on D+ if at all.

I think part of the "problem" is that every movie is now being judged against a run that was really remarkable. I thought this was a good popcorn flick, not great. Would agree that it was the least of the AntMan movies but by no means bad. Better than most Phase 4 options.
Not sure I agree with you. Even before the Avengers and Infinity movies, you never felt like you were watching meh/bad movies. Yes, they absolutely got better after Captain America when they realize how much money they could make and took the movies to another level. That said, Eternals, Black Widow and Strange 2 were not good movies and I actually enjoyed almost all the TV shows (Moon Knight was disappointing, so much potential). Even BP2 had some ugh moments and I agree that Namor was a bit much.

I don’t think it’s just judging the movies against the past ones. I think if phase 4 was phase 1, there would be way less MCU fans. For whatever reason, they just have been meh overall.

Go back and watch IM2, Hulk, Thor 2 etc, and if you watch with an unbiased eye, you will see some of those movies are equivalent to what we have seen in phase 4 in terms of quality.
This might be true, but in my case (and others, I’m sure since what I’m getting ready to mention has been mentioned a lot in this thread) IM2, etc. fit within an overall story I had bought into and was enjoying. This current phase, with the multiverse and time travel and, as a result, the potential for no real consequences, I just don’t care. I tried but I’ve just resigned myself to the fact I’ll get around to them when they’re on D+ if at all.

I agree from a high level but we should also acknowledge that when IM2 was released there really wasn't a story line yet.

IM1 was stand alone with an extra credit scene and Hulk was stand alone (and pretty bad) with an extra credit scene. In IM2 we were treated to wonderful scenes like Tony pissing in his suit :)

As I have mentioned, I will rewatch every movie as I love the series but there were plenty of clunkers along the way IMO.

I agree from a high level but we should also acknowledge that when IM2 was release there really wasn't a story line yet.
My experience is definitely impacted by the fact I didn’t see them as they came out and instead only saw them later, and used that website that listed them in storyline chronological order.

I haven’t seen it yet, but it really seems like their plan is to make the Disney+ series where individual/small teams of superheroes fight more localized and personal villains/threats, and the movies are more global-type threats.

What they haven’t done well, IMO, is tie any of it together. Phases 1, 2, and 3 everything built on each other and built up to something. The plots in each movie, as well as how they impacted/changed characters, directly impacted and motivated storylines in future movies.

Right now, at best, it feels like movies/series reference stuff that happened in one or two other shows/movies, but there is no build at all. Where previously there was motivation to go back and watch previous movies to be refreshed on everything that lead up to where we were when a new movie came out, there’s no point/need to do that anymore.

I haven’t seen it yet, but it really seems like their plan is to make the Disney+ series where individual/small teams of superheroes fight more localized and personal villains/threats, and the movies are more global-type threats.

What they haven’t done well, IMO, is tie any of it together. Phases 1, 2, and 3 everything built on each other and built up to something. The plots in each movie, as well as how they impacted/changed characters, directly impacted and motivated storylines in future movies.

Right now, at best, it feels like movies/series reference stuff that happened in one or two other shows/movies, but there is no build at all. Where previously there was motivation to go back and watch previous movies to be refreshed on everything that lead up to where we were when a new movie came out, there’s no point/need to do that anymore.

The after the credits scenes in phase 4 also seem to be a bit disjointed.

The extra scene in Ten Rings looked really cool (the one where Hulk, Carol, Wong all try and figure out where the rings came from in the Universe) but I can't quite figure out if it has ever been tied in. Carol was in that scene so maybe it will have some tie to the new Marvels movie but I am unsure.

Watched Wakanda forever this weekend. Had to break it into two nights because it was so LONG and I fell asleep. It was OK. Doesn't make total sense and Iron Heart was just a terrible caricature -- I cringed every time she spoke. I liked Shuri and all the Wakanda stuff though really.

Look at phase 1 and 2 of the MCU and then compare to phase 4 and 5. It would be like comparing Tom Brady to Jimmy G. Sure there are some bad films early in the MCU, but not like now. The early MCU has less crappy movies, better mediocre movies and more great movies then phase 4 and 5.

I don't think it is the multiverse thing either. Phase 1 was 4 years and 6 movies. Phase 5 is 6 movies in 19 months. They are pumping out quantity over quality to make more money.

Watched BP2 yesterday and thought it was okay but not one I'll watch again. To me it was a lot like the Eternals only with some familiar characters . It didn't advance or tie up any of the MCU storyline or even really feel a part of it. The mid credit scene was basically useless.

I think it's also a bit of the matter of who the characters are in each phase. Early MCU featured well known characters like all the Avengers, Spidey, etc. Later stuff has been focused on lesser characters like Shang Chi, the Eternals, etc. If done well, rolling out the Fantastic Four and the X-Men and tying them into a larger overall storyline (I also prefer longer story arcs than one off movies) could be really awesome.

I think it's also a bit of the matter of who the characters are in each phase. Early MCU featured well known characters like all the Avengers, Spidey, etc. Later stuff has been focused on lesser characters like Shang Chi, the Eternals, etc. If done well, rolling out the Fantastic Four and the X-Men and tying them into a larger overall storyline (I also prefer longer story arcs than one off movies) could be really awesome.
I dunno. Shang Chi was one of the better phase 4 movies and Thor Love and Thunder was by far one of the worst.

I’m having trouble getting through BP2 on Disney+. It’s not Eternals bad but it’s right there with the worst of the rest of the Marvel catalog for me.

My 13 year old and i saw Quantumania today. Went into it with low expectations and enjoyed it. At times it felt like a Star Wars movie or a Guardians movie with all the different alien type species. Does a decent job of setting up the coming multiverse incursion crisis. I'd say it's a mid level Marvel movie. Hard to compete with those that led up to the Infinity saga.

Also finally watched Wakanda Forever a couple days ago. It was OK but ranked in the lower end of Marvel movies for me.

I'm still a Marvel fanboy nerd and will gladly keep consuming what their are slinging. Just gotta remember there's so much material and that not everyone is going to be a home run, especially compared to the unbelievable run they had.
Saw it Saturday with my 13 yo and my mom, and this is where I am at (although I liked BP more than you seem too).

It was entertaining for sure. Will probably watch again on D+ when it comes out. Was hoping it would tie in to some of the other movies/shows a little more. Not sure how to feel about MODOK.

I dunno. Shang Chi was one of the better phase 4 movies and Thor Love and Thunder was by far one of the worst.

Right. I don’t buy the narrative of well known characters making for better movies. More hype probably but that’s short lived if not done well.

Two of the best movies were Shang Chi and the GotG. Not well known characters but were very well done. Ant-man (Scott) wasn’t well known either. Everyone’s favorite character, Luis was made for the MCU. we love the character and actor.

Nobody knew who Iron Man was before the first movie. Nobody knew who Ant Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Star Lord, Black Widow, etc etc were either until their movies came out.
Correct

DC always had the more well known characters yet those movies usually suck

i loved love and thunder it was fun and featured the lovely natalie portman kicking butt again and kids kicking butt too nothing not to like in my opinion take that to the bank brohans

I don’t even think Hulk counts for MCU kind of like the original Spider-Man movies. How many different Hulk movies were there?

Also, as I (and others above) mentioned, those early movies weren’t on the same production level of current ones.

I’d expect phase 4/5 to be better than it’s been just as individual movies and that’s before realizing how much they learned in the early movies. Thor 2 and GotG2 (more because the first was so good) were the only ones after 2011 that were sub par to a set of amazing movies.

Phase 4 is full of sub par movies some of which are bottom of the barrel, which surprises after how many lessons they learned. I mean IM was great but the scale and scope of Infinity Wars is far beyond it. Same with Captain America and Winter Soldier/Civil War. Good first movies, but just not even on the same level.

I liken it to Terminator. Terminator 1 (pre Avenger) was a great movie but we didn’t know what was next. T2 (post Avenger) was a whole other level. T3 (phase 4) had some fans but I’d much rather watch T1 than T3 and T2 is so much better than T3 and years down the line phase 4 might be swept under the rug like T3.

Love and Thunder was really disappointing and after Ragnarok no less.

My 13 year old and i saw Quantumania today. Went into it with low expectations and enjoyed it. At times it felt like a Star Wars movie or a Guardians movie with all the different alien type species. Does a decent job of setting up the coming multiverse incursion crisis. I'd say it's a mid level Marvel movie. Hard to compete with those that led up to the Infinity saga.

Also finally watched Wakanda Forever a couple days ago. It was OK but ranked in the lower end of Marvel movies for me.

I'm still a Marvel fanboy nerd and will gladly keep consuming what their are slinging. Just gotta remember there's so much material and that not everyone is going to be a home run, especially compared to the unbelievable run they had.
Saw it Saturday with my 13 yo and my mom, and this is where I am at (although I liked BP more than you seem too).

It was entertaining for sure. Will probably watch again on D+ when it comes out. Was hoping it would tie in to some of the other movies/shows a little more. Not sure how to feel about MODOK.
Oh yeah MODOK. Didn't care for that version at all. Seemed forced to fit another Marvel character in in a place be didn't even belong.

Nobody knew who Iron Man was before the first movie. Nobody knew who Ant Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Star Lord, Black Widow, etc etc were either until their movies came out.
Not quite true. Maybe if you never had a childhood experience with Marvel Comics.
So pretty much nobody. If it wasn't Batman, Supes, or Spiderman, Mr General Q Public knew nothing about them.

I don’t even think Hulk counts for MCU kind of like the original Spider-Man movies. How many different Hulk movies were there?

Also, as I (and others above) mentioned, those early movies weren’t on the same production level of current ones.

I’d expect phase 4/5 to be better than it’s been just as individual movies and that’s before realizing how much they learned in the early movies. Thor 2 and GotG2 (more because the first was so good) were the only ones after 2011 that were sub par to a set of amazing movies.

Phase 4 is full of sub par movies some of which are bottom of the barrel, which surprises after how many lessons they learned. I mean IM was great but the scale and scope of Infinity Wars is far beyond it. Same with Captain America and Winter Soldier/Civil War. Good first movies, but just not even on the same level.

I liken it to Terminator. Terminator 1 (pre Avenger) was a great movie but we didn’t know what was next. T2 (post Avenger) was a whole other level. T3 (phase 4) had some fans but I’d much rather watch T1 than T3 and T2 is so much better than T3 and years down the line phase 4 might be swept under the rug like T3.
Hulk does count for the MCU.

I don't think we are far off in opinion. Phases 1-3 were so far superior to Phase 4 it is not funny, but you could easily argue that Phase 4 is better than the DCEU. Phase 4 has a few movies (Spiderman No Way Home and Shang Chi) that are better than anything DC put out. I do enjoy some of the DC movies but they've had a much higher clunker percentage.

All in all, I think it was a decent movie that followed what is by now a tried and true formula. I would like them to shake it up, and put an end to time travel/multiverses but we are going to have that for a while. I don't think it will be able to reach the apex that it previously attained, but I think they are still putting out a decent product.

I think the problem with these Phase 4 (and now Phase 5) is that they're just meandering to whatever "Big Thing" that is going to happen. The first 4 movies in the MCU build up to The Avengers and dealing with Loki... and then most everything after that pushed us into The Infinity Saga and Thanos.

We're 4 years post Endgame and everything they've done has basically led us nowhere with us still 2/3 years away from The Kang Dynasty movie. At this point, (if the point of P4 is to bring in a "Young" Avengers team)....some of these characters should actually be meeting one another.

Quantamania wasn't bad....but there was no stakes. If they had ended with
Scott and Kang trapped in the Quantam Realm
that would have been something.

I think the problem with these Phase 4 (and now Phase 5) is that they're just meandering to whatever "Big Thing" that is going to happen. The first 4 movies in the MCU build up to The Avengers and dealing with Loki... and then most everything after that pushed us into The Infinity Saga and Thanos.

We're 4 years post Endgame and everything they've done has basically led us nowhere with us still 2/3 years away from The Kang Dynasty movie. At this point, (if the point of P4 is to bring in a "Young" Avengers team)....some of these characters should actually be meeting one another.

Quantamania wasn't bad....but there was no stakes. If they had ended with
That (or one other more extreme option) is what I thought would occur.

Not quite true. Maybe if you never had a childhood experience with Marvel Comics.
So pretty much nobody. If it wasn't Batman, Supes, or Spiderman, Mr General Q Public knew nothing about them.
People absolutely knew Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Spider Man. Others, not as much.

Right. And the only reason most people knew those characters? Movies and TV. I vaguely recall Spider-Man being in a newspaper comic strip.

Everyone keeps mentioning Spiderman as being well known when the MCU started but he was not part of the MCU in either Phase 1 or Phase 2.

He does not show up until Phase 3 (13th movie in the series). His rights were still with Sony in the early phases.

The MCU launched with out Spiderman, Fantastic 4, and X-Men, which were arguably their biggest names.

Everyone keeps mentioning Spiderman as being well known when the MCU started but he was not part of the MCU in either Phase 1 or Phase 2.

He does not show up until Phase 3 (13th movie in the series). His rights were still with Sony in the early phases.

The MCU launched with out Spiderman, Fantastic 4, and X-Men, which were arguably their biggest names.

There’s nothing arguable about it. Marvel sold the rights to their most marketable characters to survive.

Daredevil was more well known and liked than IM or Cap, or the rest. MCU really started with the B list.

People absolutely knew Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Spider Man. Others, not as much.
Not many people knew Iron Man

The only way non-comic book reading fans knew about Iron Man was because of the AC/DC song.

The only way non-comic book reading fans knew about Iron Man was because of the AC/DC song.
Or Ghostface Killah

I don't get the negativity. I thought the middle was a bit slow, but overall it was a good movie. Probably the best of p4 movies. Certainly near the top. Majors was fantastic and this setup the future movies very well.
I'm not sure why this one is getting panned in here. I liked it a lot - and what's coming in the multi-verse saga is laid out well.

The only thing that I didn't like was Ant-Man being able to go blow for blow with Kang at the end (but I justified that in my head as Kang just toying with Scott). I mean if he's really the next big bad, it should have taken 3 seconds to kill Ant-Man.

I don't get the negativity. I thought the middle was a bit slow, but overall it was a good movie. Probably the best of p4 movies. Certainly near the top. Majors was fantastic and this setup the future movies very well.
I'm not sure why this one is getting panned in here. I liked it a lot - and what's coming in the multi-verse saga is laid out well.

The only thing that I didn't like was Ant-Man being able to go blow for blow with Kang at the end (but I justified that in my head as Kang just toying with Scott). I mean if he's really the next big bad, it should have taken 3 seconds to kill Ant-Man.
It isn't clear this Kang is the big bad. Other versions could be more powerful. Also I think his suit was damaged at this point.

It isn't clear this Kang is the big bad. Other versions could be more powerful. Also I think his suit was damaged at this point.
And this right here is why this whole Multiverse is so stupid. Nothing is at stake anymore. Kang has already been "defeated" two times and now we see there are infinite more versions of him. Dumb

Kang has already been "defeated" two times and now we see there are infinite more versions of him. Dumb
That's been the whole point of Kang though from the beginning when he was introduced in Loki. This version of Kang was one that was banished by the rest because he was looking to stop the incursions and timelines from being destroyed, and now the rest are coming.

I think people that are preoccupied with the stakes aren't following the grand scale of this saga - so what if we see another Iron Man later? (it doesn't change the arc of "our" Tony Stark).

I didn't like Love and Thunder much at all, and thought Wakanda was just "ok" but after seeing Quantumania, I'm excited to see what's next - especially with the tie in to the Loki series in the last end-credit scene.

I think people that are preoccupied with the stakes aren't following the grand scale of this saga - so what if we see another Iron Man later? (it doesn't change the arc of "our" Tony Stark).

But that's kind of the problem. Following the grand scale now feels a lot like work. I didn't like the Loki show so I didn't get beyond an episode or two. I really don't want to watch any of the TV series, to be honest.

So that's it then? If I want to really understand the story, I'm out? It kind of feels that way to me.

I didn't mind it when the movies built upon each other. That was managable. Incorporating the TV series with the movies, imho, was a mistake.

I was a big comic fan in the 80's, and they did the same exact thing in the comics - all of a sudden, big stories started to weave through a bunch of different titles, and if you wanted to keep up you had to buy a bunch of different books. I bailed about then.

If I want to really understand the story, I'm out?
That's obviously up to you - but I think for the most part you can just watch the movies and still follow along. Anything important covered in a series is re-introduced/re-explained again in the movies.
I agree for the most part.

If you watch the TV series you will obviously get more out of the over all story of course. For example Kamala is going to be a major character in the upcoming Marvels movie. They will likely give a sentence or two to explain who she is but that can never replace close to 6 hours of TV exposition that she got in Ms Marvel.

Speaking of The Marvels, the release date has been changed from July 28 to November 10th. It will still follow Guardians 3 in the movie release timeline.

There is some speculation that the date change is being done in part to allow Secret Invasion to premier on TV first and their may be a tie in. Secret Invasion (Nick Fury series) does not yet have a release date though.

I'm not sure who everyone is. I mentioned him with Bats and Supes as being the superheroes most people would recognize.
Multiple posters mentioned spiderman as a popular character that helped during the beginning of the MCU. I was just pointing out that he was not part of the MCU until Phase 3.

There’s nothing arguable about it. Marvel sold the rights to their most marketable characters to survive.

Daredevil was more well known and liked than IM or Cap, or the rest. MCU really started with the B list.
I'm a longtime marvel fan and this is nuts. Setting aside x-men, spidey is the most well known. Cap and Iron Man wound be 2a and 2b. Daredevil would be well down the list behind Hulk, F4 and Thor. Hell, I have an old comic where Thor, Spideman and F4 didn't even know who Daredevil was.

I did not read the comics as a kid so any characters I knew came from tv.

Older fans will have been introduced to Hulk through his fairly popular prime time TV show that ran for 5 seasons (80 episodes) along with 5 tv movies.

The original hulk, played by Lou Ferrigno, had a cameo in the MCU version of the movie. I believe he also voiced Hulk in his early MCU appearances until he started to speak more in Age of Ultron and then Ruffalo took over that voice role.

Last edited:

I'm a longtime marvel fan and this is nuts. Setting aside x-men, spidey is the most well known. Cap and Iron Man wound be 2a and 2b. Daredevil would be well down the list behind Hulk, F4 and Thor. Hell, I have an old comic where Thor, Spideman and F4 didn't even know who Daredevil was.

Might depend on your era and other friends, but DD was far more appealing and popular among my friends than anyone other than Spidey.
Peter and Matt teamed up multiple times. DD was created after the others but spidey definitely got to know DD over time.

F4 and X men along with Spider-Man and Hulk were the A list.
DD, Thor, IM, Cap, and a few others were B, at least in our opinions growing up.

Users who are viewing this thread