What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Math guys - Trig problem (1 Viewer)

skol asylum

Footballguy
Trying to help my kid with an assignment and this Trig stuff is way beyond me. They had to come up with data points with multiple high and low values. They chose high and low temps over a period of a few days. They are supposed to use these data points and write a trig formula (using sine or cosine) for those data points. I can find videos showing how to accomplish this with one high and low point for example over one 24 hour day. I can't find anything that explains how to do this over multiple days with multiple various high and low values. Can any of you big brains point me to a video or something that explains how to do so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this your typical high school algebra 2/trig class?  If so, I'd imagine the easiest thing to do to make it fit a general sine function y=Asin(B(x−h))+k is just to use the average temperatures at different times over the few days they tracked.  Then you essentially graph one "typical" 24-hour period.

Or if they use a graphing calculator like the Ti-84, put the data in lists and calculate a SinReg to get a best fit sine function.

Seems to me, coming up with a sinusoidal function that exactly fits the data with fluctuating highs and lows would be pretty advanced stuff.

(I may not know what I'm talking about, though, fwiw  :) )

Yeah I kind of thought maybe the same but they don't really tell you to do so.

It's a Pre-Calc B Honors course. 

Pretty sure it's way beyond anything I ever did with math in high school. In college I think my last math class was Survey of Calc or something. That'e pushing 30 years ago and you lose it if you don't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread