What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Cassel? (1 Viewer)

G-Money

Footballguy
I've been looking over the weekly rankings (on several sites) and see Cassel is right near the top of the food chain this week (as he should with the matchup vs AZ). I've also been monitoring the weather, and it looks to be snowy/icy/windy in Foxboro Sunday. What are you Cassel owners feeling/doing this weekend? I'd love to keep him in my lineup, but might need to go with plan B (Schaub in possible rainy conditions in OAK, but may not be as serious as the weather back east).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat. Actually on the fence choosing either Cutler, Cassell, or Schaub. Good to have options, all have weather & other issues this week, though.

Look at the Jets/Pats snow game from last year in week 15.

I expect the Pats to run the ball 40 times.

Look at the Jets/Pats snow game from last year in week 15. I expect the Pats to run the ball 40 times.
That makes an interesting case for starting Sammy Morris. You figure we'll see a heavy dose?

been playing cutler all year. was drooling when I saw Cassel had Ari this week. Ari DEF has given up 31 passing TDs, most in the NFL and Cassel is hot. But the weather scars me and I am going with Cutler. got burned by Brady last year week 15

been playing cutler all year. was drooling when I saw Cassel had Ari this week. Ari DEF has given up 31 passing TDs, most in the NFL and Cassel is hot. But the weather scars me and I am going with Cutler. got burned by Brady last year week 15
Same dilemma, especially given the egg he laid in Carolina. Have Cassel in for now, but just now finding out about the weather.

Same dilemma, especially given the egg he laid in Carolina. Have Cassel in for now, but just now finding out about the weather.
Similar dilemma with Cutler vs Warner and at the moment I am going Cutler. He seems like the better option this week over Warner given Warner is travelling basically across country, going to a tough environment and going to the cold.That said, if it were Cassel vs Cutler it would probably be tougher. Even though Matt is from California originally he has certainly been dealing with NE winters for a couple of years now and you have to expect that he is going to play pretty well in that environment.

I'm in the same boat. Actually on the fence choosing either ....Cassell, or Schaub. Good to have options, all have weather & other issues this week, though.
i'm in the same exact boat. Cassel has the better match-up but Schaub is looking better. I'm keeping on top of the weather reports.

At this point, weather all looks fairly equal for all of my QB choices in both leagues. I think I'm going to call it a wash, and go with what I had. Cassel over Cutler in one, Cutler over thigpen in the other, for anyone who cares about my opinion.

I'm in the same boat. Actually on the fence choosing either ....Cassell, or Schaub. Good to have options, all have weather & other issues this week, though.
i'm in the same exact boat. Cassel has the better match-up but Schaub is looking better. I'm keeping on top of the weather reports.
Cassel like just about all other QBs in history are useless in northeastern bad weather unless he gets lucky (e.g. rushing TDs).

Cassel like just about all other QBs in history are useless in northeastern bad weather unless he gets lucky (e.g. rushing TDs).
I think you probably make a good point here. Obviously it is pretty late in the game to do this, but I would be interested in seeing some statistical analysis of all QB's playing in such conditions. It would probably be relatively intriguing to see.

I've pretty much decided to play Schaub over Cassel. I live here in N. Cali, and while rain/showers are forecasted, there is supposed to be very little wind. Not doing much here at the moment, and it was a very nice day yesterday........so the field should be in good shape.

Same problem here. I have Rodgers in freezing/windy Chicago, or Cassell in freezing/windy NE. I could pick up Shaun Hill against the lowly Rams, but that might be pushing my luck. Superbowl game in a 16 team league so clearly don't want to make the wrong choice here.

It was windy that game. I see winds of 13mph for this game which is pretty much a non factorhttp://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/...=hrly_graph_tab
20-30 mph winds for this game.http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USMA0...chbox_typeahead
where do you see that? in the hour by hour it's 13mph

It was windy that game. I see winds of 13mph for this game which is pretty much a non factorhttp://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/...=hrly_graph_tab
20-30 mph winds for this game.http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USMA0...chbox_typeahead
where do you see that? in the hour by hour it's 13mph
If you scroll down on the page to where it has the 36 hour forecast it says under the today section Windy. Snow this morning will give way to a wintry mix this afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds E at 20 to 30 mph. Snow accumulations less than one inch.

At this point, weather all looks fairly equal for all of my QB choices in both leagues. I think I'm going to call it a wash, and go with what I had. Cassel over Cutler in one, Cutler over thigpen in the other, for anyone who cares about my opinion.
The official update for all 0 of you who care, FWIW, I saw live video of Foxboro and ran to my PC to switch to Cutler. Was snowing so bad, visibility down the field was significantly hampered.

The only thing I'm taking from this game is the NE defense. Arizona doesn't give a crap about this game and no way am I playing Cassell. I guess it's Arod on Monday night or bust.

Anyone considering benching their Pats today!! Thought I had a great matchup with Moss today!! :thumbup:
I am struggling with whether or not to play Wes Welker today. He has been the most consistent WR in my scoring format so far, so I hate to bench him on the chance the bad weather may affect his game. However, the weather does look nasty.My other choices are between Marques Colston and Brandon Marshall. Marshall has a great match up and weather doesn't look like it will impact that game, but he has been inconsistent and worries of a Charger loss loom. Colston is in a dome vs. the Lions, so he seems like a better play. I guess I'm leaning Colston and Welker right now in a 'do the opposite' type move with respect to the weather in Foxborough.

The only thing I'm taking from this game is the NE defense. Arizona doesn't give a crap about this game and no way am I playing Cassell. I guess it's Arod on Monday night or bust.
I'm in the same situation as you, choosing between Rodgers and Cassel.My opponent (Championship Game) started Manning and Rhodes on Thursday. Makes me think I need to gamble with Cassel and hope for the big number, versus steady AR.The wind looks to be down in Chicago on Monday night, but it's gonna be COOOLLLLDDD.Darn shame that the year comes down to the weather :confused:

I'm in the same situation as you, choosing between Rodgers and Cassel.My opponent (Championship Game) started Manning and Rhodes on Thursday. Makes me think I need to gamble with Cassel and hope for the big number, versus steady AR.The wind looks to be down in Chicago on Monday night, but it's gonna be COOOLLLLDDD.Darn shame that the year comes down to the weather :(
Funny you say that as I had to face Peyton this week also. My RB's are my strength though as I have T Jones and Westy and of course I need monster games from both. Good luck and go Arod Monday night.

I am starting Cassel and Welker and am not letting the weather influence my decision. My alternatives are McNabb and Holt. Heres my reasoning, I am going to play my best players and if I get beaten because of the weather, I can live with that. Theres a lot less agonizing over that decision than second guessing myself by not playing my best players because they had potential weather issues.

Christopher

I'm sticking with Cassel over Pennington/Thigpen.

30 degrees, light snow and 10-12 MPH winds is not a big factor in my opinion. If that weather holds, the passing game will be fine.

Just said on ESPN that it will change to rain and sleet plus potential of 40 MPH gusts. Crap, I can't take that chance. I'm switching to Big Ben.

I'm in the same situation as you, choosing between Rodgers and Cassel.My opponent (Championship Game) started Manning and Rhodes on Thursday. Makes me think I need to gamble with Cassel and hope for the big number, versus steady AR.The wind looks to be down in Chicago on Monday night, but it's gonna be COOOLLLLDDD.Darn shame that the year comes down to the weather :rant:
Funny you say that as I had to face Peyton this week also. My RB's are my strength though as I have T Jones and Westy and of course I need monster games from both. Good luck and go Arod Monday night.
Just saw the update from Foxboro on ESPN and they showed heavy snow coming down, saying that the snow will turn to sleet/ice/rain after kickoff. The really bad thing they said was Boston was reporting 40 mph gusts, and they are heading in the direction of Foxboro. I will go with the guy who got me here. Go AROD!!!Good luck scott72 - and all you other guys too!

Damn. Drafted Brady (and picked up Cassel) so that I'd have a sweet matchup if I made it to the Super Bowl. Now I'm looking at Matt Ryan. :lmao:

Damn. Drafted Brady (and picked up Cassel) so that I'd have a sweet matchup if I made it to the Super Bowl. Now I'm looking at Matt Ryan. :thumbdown:
This is me too.... Had Cassell/Moss combo. Now, probably Ryan/Walter. That's how it goes, I guess. Was kind of burned by Brady in playoffs last year, and that was after a record breaking QB season. I can't think Cassell would fair much better. Good luck to all here!!!!

I'm playing Cassel. My QBs are Warner and Cassel. I was loving the match-ups today... not so much anymore. Warner got benched because he isn't use to snow/cold weather, no Boldin, and plus with the playoff stop already locked up, he might get benched at some point during the game. The Pats need this win, so hopefully Cassel will come through. Not lovin' it, but it will have to do.

:mellow: Schaub better have a Cassel-like day against Oak for me! :mellow:

jaisonline said:
jaisonline said:
How's this prediction working out?

jaisonline said:
jaisonline said:
hmmm. dude, you're only about 10 posts too late. i already replied to my posting.still feeling good about your yourself? is that chest still sticking out like a proud man for pointing out my post?

Last edited by a moderator:
jaisonline said:
jaisonline said:
hmmm. dude, you're only about 10 posts too late. i already replied to my posting.still feeling good about your yourself? is that chest still sticking out like a proud man for pointing out my post?
Dunno are you still feeling dumb for posting such a blanket statement, not getting away with it, then being hostile to someone on a message board who points it out? If so I guess we are even. :ptts:

Users who are viewing this thread