What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Flynn about to be traded (1 Viewer)

I'm going with the Jaguars (unless the Jets feel they need yet another QB)

edit: Guess I'm wrong-

@RapSheet

If a Flynn trade is imminent (as @Edwerderespn said), it's not #Bills. #Jaguars came out and said no yesterday. #Raiders an option, tho

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing its probably going to be the Raiders or Jaguars. I couldn't even begin to guess what the compensation would be.

The Raiders so they can finally end the Carson Palmer saga and cut him.

The Jaguars because Blaine Gabbert sucks.

will be interesting to see what kind of pick he brings in. 3rd to 5th would be my guess.
That is what I'm thinking as well. I read a rumor that the Raiders and Seahawks could possibley swap 3rd round picks this year and maybe a late conditional pick next year.

I read a rumor that the Raiders and Seahawks could possibley swap 3rd round picks this year and maybe a late conditional pick next year.
This is my guess. Raiders will want to see how the early rounds of the draft play out before deciding what to do with that 3rd rounder. My guess is this won't happen until Raiders are on the clock in the 3rd round.

Since all the common sense says raiders, I am going to say it is the BILLS and the compensation will be a 6th that can add something next year if certain productivity is met.

I read a rumor that the Raiders and Seahawks could possibley swap 3rd round picks this year and maybe a late conditional pick next year.
This is my guess. Raiders will want to see how the early rounds of the draft play out before deciding what to do with that 3rd rounder. My guess is this won't happen until Raiders are on the clock in the 3rd round.
Reports are that the trade is imminent.
ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Seahawks are in trade discussions involving Matt Flynn and a deal appears "imminent."

Werder concedes the trade partner is "unknown," but the Raiders have been most often linked to Flynn because of ex-Packers personnel man Reggie McKenzie's familiarity with Aaron Rodgers' former backup. If Oakland is indeed Flynn's destination, Carson Palmer's release would soon follow. Other clubs potentially interested in Flynn may include Jacksonville, Buffalo, the Jets, and Cincinnati.

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora2m

Sounds like Matt Flynn heading to Oakland via trade, and Carson Palmer will be on his way out (possibly to AZ). trying to nail down details

How much would it suck for Flynn if the Raiders traded for him and then drafted Geno and he had to back him up again.

There's a new regime in Oakland, and Reggie McKenzie had nothing to do with trading for Carson Palmer. McKenzie will draft the bpa at #3 (not a QB), and is probably going to do everything he can to get more picks.

My guess is Flynn gets traded for a 5th or so. It will give the Raiders at worst a stop gap starter until they can draft somebody in 2014. Best case is Flynn turns out to be the next Matt Hasselbeck. It also allows them to shed Palmer's contract.

Sirius XM Radio's Adam Caplan reports the Raiders have "discussed the possibility" of signing free agent Kevin Kolb.

I think this would be good for Oakland and Carson Palmer. Oakland will part ways with Palmer, maybe bring in Kolb but Flynn would like to have a crack at the starting job as well.

I see Palmer ending up in Arizona and working with a talented group of receivers, they simply need to build him an OL to operate behind. Fitzgerald would definitely go back up in a positive direction.

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports the Seahawks are expected to receive a 2013 draft pick and 2014 conditional pick if the Raiders complete their end of the impending Matt Flynn trade.Per Breer, Seattle has "done its part" in the Flynn deal. The draft-pick compensation is agreed upon, and it's now up to Flynn and the Raiders to "push it over the goal line." It sounds like Oakland and Flynn are in contract talks.

Oakland doesn't have a 2nd (Palmer) or 5th (Aaron Curry) round pick.

They don't have a lot of options as far as 2013 pick.

There's a new regime in Oakland, and Reggie McKenzie had nothing to do with trading for Carson Palmer. McKenzie will draft the bpa at #3 (not a QB), and is probably going to do everything he can to get more picks. My guess is Flynn gets traded for a 5th or so. It will give the Raiders at worst a stop gap starter until they can draft somebody in 2014. Best case is Flynn turns out to be the next Matt Hasselbeck. It also allows them to shed Palmer's contract.
Lots of good sense in this comment.

Makes sense.... McKenzie has gb ties as does flynn.

The money and length will tell us how they feel about geno...

Oakland will be worse if that's possible.
By getting better at qb?
Agree with chachinator, as much as i hate to say it. They are in salary cap hell right now. 13 million to palmer? Plus, they have jettisoned a lot of talent. That's why they will be worse. They arent one or two players away. They need several drafts and good cap management.... Which it looks like McKenzie is fully aware.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders are not expected to finalize a trade for Matt Flynn on Friday, "unless something crazy happens."The trade is turning out to be not so "imminent." Rapoport does report the sides are "nearly there," and most signs still point to Oakland acquiring Flynn, ostensibly for two draft picks -- one in 2013 and another in 2014. The San Francisco Chronicle's Vic Tafur confirms the deal remains in a "holding pattern," and Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie is "in no rush." McKenzie would be smart to sleep on this one. He's sitting on the NFL's weakest roster, has only three draft picks in the Top 171, and can't afford to give up any of his seven overall selections. Signing free agent Kevin Kolb would be a better option than mortgaging more of the Raiders' future for a similarly backup-caliber quarterback like Flynn.

Sirius XM Radio's Adam Caplan reports the Raiders have "discussed the possibility" of signing free agent Kevin Kolb.
If I were a Raider fan, I would much prefer this than giving up a pick for Flynn. They're both stopgap QBs. OAK only has 3 picks in top 170. Can't afford to give them up.

If I were a Raider fan, I would much prefer this than giving up a pick for Flynn. They're both stopgap QBs. OAK only has 3 picks in top 170. Can't afford to give them up.
What makes you think that Flynn is a stopgap? He's not old. And he lost out to a pretty darn impressive rookie. The last game he started was historic. :shrug:

What makes you think that Flynn is a stopgap? He's not old. And he lost out to a pretty darn impressive rookie. The last game he started was historic. :shrug:
Agree completely.

Agree completely.
Stopgap might not have been the correct term, but do you think he's capable of leading a team to the playoffs? I don't.

Oakland will be worse if that's possible.
By getting better at qb?
Agree with chachinator, as much as i hate to say it. They are in salary cap hell right now. 13 million to palmer? Plus, they have jettisoned a lot of talent. That's why they will be worse. They arent one or two players away. They need several drafts and good cap management.... Which it looks like McKenzie is fully aware.
Obviously they are getting rid of Palmer in this scenario and its not a one year thing.But improving their QB position shouldn't make them worse with this move is the point.

Agree completely.
Stopgap might not have been the correct term, but do you think he's capable of leading a team to the playoffs? I don't.
On his own?NoMore of a Flacco/Ryan type that does need quite a bit around him Id say.But can be a QB that leads a teamm with some talent to the playoffs...why not?>

Agree completely.
Based on?

Agree completely.
Based on?
Because the media says so.

Users who are viewing this thread