What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Leinart or Kurt Warner to start for Cards? (1 Viewer)

They interviewed Denny Green at about 2:15. He said Warner is the starter. Leinart competes for the backup spot this season.

Like others have said, as soon as Warner goes down, its Matt's job. It won't take long, the guy sits back there way too long.

injury is the only reason why kurt warner won't start every game for the cardinals in 2006

I feel bad for Kurt.
I think Warner has to realize his remaining time in the NFL is short. Warner's been to two Super Bowls, winning one. He is a hero to all supermarket employees who dream of being in the NFL. He's put up some of the best single seasons for a QB in NFL history. I can't feel bad for Warner.I would've felt bad for Brees if New Orleans had taken a QB.

Depending on how he looks in preseason, I could see Leinhard stepping in and starting in Week 1.

Honestly, if he doesn't look supergreen (which I don't expect him to) why not play him right away to get those first lumps out of the way?

With all those weapons its not exactly like throwing the guy to the wolves.

Kurt Warner has to look over his shoulders again...but if he can produce close to what he did with '99 Rams, then he have nothing to be worried about, at this poibt of the time, its the best player starts so yoU CAN QUIT WHINING BRENDA!!!!!!

While the Cardinals selection of Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart in last weekend's draft caused waves of excitement throughout the Valley, it wasn't great news in at least one household.John Navarre, entering his third season with the team, will now have serious competition to back up Kurt Warner.

But not much bothers Navarre, and he said he doesn't plan to shrink from the challenge. advertisement

"Hey, I have to compete," he said. "Competition brings out the best. I have to expect that and so does Matt coming in, and I know he does."

Navarre, who was a seventh-round pick from Michigan, has played in two games in two years. When Josh McCown departed for Detroit via free agency this off-season, Navarre moved up to second on the depth chart. Now, he has competition.

"That's the NFL," coach Dennis Green said. "I don't think anybody thinks they should be making millions of dollars and have a free pass. John went to Michigan. Believe me, he understands competition."

Navarre's advantage is that he knows the offensive system. But it's rare in the NFL that a seventh-round pick beats out a first-rounder. When asked if he's confident that the competition will be fair, Navarre said he didn't know.

"If I'm going to base my work ethic and my goals on outside factors I can't control, what does that say about my goals?" he asked. "Whatever happens ahead of me happens, but I'm going to work and I'm not going to change."

Dennis Green said on the radio yesterday that Warner is clear starter for 2006.

No ifs, ands or buts.

Next question.

Dennis Green said on the radio yesterday that Warner is clear starter for 2006.

No ifs, ands or buts.

Next question.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. If Warner stays healthy and he gets protection (which I think both will happen) Warner will be going to Hawii in Feb. I'm sure people will razz me for saying this but when healthy with protection Warner is one of the best in the bizz.Matt will compete next season for the starting position. Of course if there is injury involved all bets are off. I know there was hype around the Cards last season and it did not pan out but I honestly expect the Cards to have a 05 Bears like season. I don't think they will win they same way as the Bears but none the less get more W's

They interviewed Denny Green at about 2:15.  He said Warner is the starter.  Leinart competes for the backup spot this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: Denny Green is a PR mastermind (argument for and against him). As long as Warner starts, Green would still have the option to score a PR win if the Cards start off losing and he can still make a quarterback switch to the young guy. What would prevent him from doing this is Warner winning.

They interviewed Denny Green at about 2:15.  He said Warner is the starter.  Leinart competes for the backup spot this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Denny Green is the biggest lier ever.He says one thing, then does a 180. He did this with the 'Josh McCown is our guy,' only to bench him several weeks into the season, and his history with QB switches is apparent. I see them developing this guy like Culpepper, but still...

Kurt Warner is the clear cut starter for this year. It's a perfect situation for Leinart to be in right now. He can learn the first 1-2yrs and take over when he's ready.

I just hope Leinart doesn't go too Hollywood, and keeps his focus on football. He apparently is dating Paris Hilton now :X

USA Today

Depending on how he looks in preseason, I could see Leinhard stepping in and starting in Week 1.

Honestly, if he doesn't look supergreen (which I don't expect him to) why not play him right away to get those first lumps out of the way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Barring a pre-season injury to Warner this is a ridiculous statement. :wall: Leinart will likely be one of the last first-rounders to agree to a contract, thus missing a chunck of camp, reps, playbook, etc. and Green knows that starting a rookie QB in Week 1 is the surest way to miss the playoffs - not gonna happen!

Warner until he gets hurt, period! :football:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Barring a pre-season injury to Warner this is a ridiculous statement. :wall: Leinart will likely be one of the last first-rounders to agree to a contract, thus missing a chunck of camp, reps, playbook, etc. and Green knows that starting a rookie QB in Week 1 is the surest way to miss the playoffs - not gonna happen!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it just me, or does a guy who calls him "Leinhard" lose immediate credibility anyway? It's not like we haven't seen Leinart's name written a million times the last 3 years, yet on this board this week I've seen his name spelled Linehart, Leinhart (a lot!), Leinhert, Leinert, Linart, and now Leinhard. Don't people see what they are reading?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it just me, or does a guy who calls him "Leinhard" lose immediate credibility anyway? It's not like we haven't seen Leinart's name written a million times the last 3 years, yet on this board this week I've seen his name spelled Linehart, Leinhart (a lot!), Leinhert, Leinert, Linart, and now Leinhard. Don't people see what they are reading?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lionheart? Great movie, btw

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Denny Green is the biggest lier ever.He says one thing, then does a 180. He did this with the 'Josh McCown is our guy,' only to bench him several weeks into the season, and his history with QB switches is apparent. I see them developing this guy like Culpepper, but still...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With one big difference, they didn't pay NcCown what they paid Warner so it was alot easier to move off McCown.

Anybody who thinks that Leinart is going to be the starter at the beginning of the season better buy a Whizzinator because they would fail the Ricky Williams test.

The history of the NFL is that very few qb's have been successful in their first year. Many of the best sat for a year or two learning the system, and gradually getting used to the speed of the pro game. Montana sat his first year, Young wasn't successful at first, Favre sat his first year, Elway played 11 games and threw 7 td's and 14 int's. Marino is the exception, not the rule.

In Warner the Cards have qb who has proven he can be very very good if he has a line to protect him, and good receivers. Warner starts this year, unless he gets injured.

Additionally, the Cards signed a RB this year who is 28 and has two or three years of really good production left. They want to make the playoffs this year, not rebuild for 2 years down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha I do love me some typo police. :D And while living in LA I've seen probably over 50% of Leinart's games, I fully admit to having a consistant brainfart and calling him Leinhart (bet you money I do it in this post....). The "d" was a typo though. ;)

I dont think its all that unrealsitic that Leinart starts the season. The Cards just sank a #### ton of money into a new stadium. They spent $$ on Edge. They want to excite the fan base.

Kurt Warner does not excite the fan base.

Are you going to tell me that if Matt Leinart looks awesome in preseason, in series with the starters, that Denny Green won't feel pressure to play the kid?

I'm just saying, far more plausible than I think most people seem to think.

Anybody who thinks that Leinart is going to be the starter at the beginning of the season better buy a Whizzinator because they would fail the Ricky Williams test. 

The history of the NFL is that very few qb's have been successful in their first year.  Many of the best sat for a year or two learning the system, and gradually getting used to the speed of the pro game.  Montana sat his first year, Young wasn't successful at first, Favre sat his first year, Elway played 11 games and threw 7 td's and 14 int's. Marino is the exception, not the rule.

In Warner the Cards have qb who has proven he can be very very good if he has a line to protect him, and good receivers.  Warner starts this year, unless he gets injured.

Additionally, the Cards signed a RB this year who is 28 and has two or three years of really good production left.  They want to make the playoffs this year, not rebuild for 2 years down the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed but you'd be hardpressed to find another Top 10 rookie QB walking into a situation where he who would have two All PRo WRs and an All Pro RB to work with.The reason they are taken along slowly is bc the team is usually complete and total crap on offense and they have no support.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha I do love me some typo police. :D And while living in LA I've seen probably over 50% of Leinart's games, I fully admit to having a consistant brainfart and calling him Leinhart (bet you money I do it in this post....). The "d" was a typo though. ;)

I dont think its all that unrealsitic that Leinart starts the season. The Cards just sank a #### ton of money into a new stadium. They spent $$ on Edge. They want to excite the fan base.

Are you going to tell me that if Matt Leinart looks awesome in preseason, in series with the starters, that Denny Green won't feel pressure to play the kid?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kurt Warner has two MVP trophies and has led his team to two SBs, winning one. Few men who have EVER played QB in the NFL can say as much. Leinart hasn't even signed a contract yet. You are r-e-a-c-h-i-n-g... :confused:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kurt Warner has two MVP trophies and has led his team to two SBs, winning one. Few men who have EVER played QB in the NFL can say as much. Leinart hasn't even signed a contract yet. You are r-e-a-c-h-i-n-g... :confused:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh for sure it's a reach. But wouldn't be much of a thread if everyone said Warner was the surefire starter would it? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Tom,I should have added some :P :P :P after my post. I was just playing. Sorry if it didn't come across that way my friend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh for sure it's a reach. But wouldn't be much of a thread if everyone said Warner was the surefire starter would it? :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually everyone in this thread has stated that Warner WILL be the starterexcept you... :boxing:

I haven't read the thread, but I thought the Cards have made it clear that Warner starts, Leinart sits, and there is no competition for the starting job. No ifs ands or buts about it.

This thread should be deleted for idiocy...Warner is the starter until he gets injured.
:yes: This really shouldn't be a question at all, in anyone's mind.2007 OTOH, is a completely different story.

Users who are viewing this thread