What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Ryan Owners...you playing the hand you were dealt? (1 Viewer)

MissionCoach

Footballguy
Stating the obvious, I drafted Matt Ryan in 2 leagues thinking I had struck gold with the stellar receiving corp in Atlanta. Factor in a bump up in the running game with S-Jax, Defenses would have to respect the run as well.

As we all know, Roddy has been hurt and a non factor, losing Julio was a huge hit, S-Jax has not made any impact also because of injuries.

Although the Atlanta O has been hit with the injury bug big time this year, Matty Ice has stiil been a top 10 FF QB. I had been hoping for top 3 numbers this year which is why I drafted him in two leagues, but in spite of all the injuries on the offense, he has remained very competitive FF wise.

Question for the Ryan owners....do you have a backup plan at QB, or do you plan on riding Matt Ryan the rest of the season?

Obviously with Atlanta's bye out of the way, Ryan could be your regular starter, freeing up a valuable roster spot.

Atlanta does have some tough match ups coming up with the Panthers twice, and San Fran though.

We keep getting teased with the full return of Roddy White, but I am not very optimistic about that situation.

How do the Ryan owners rank Ryan the rest of the way?

I like Ryan but didn't draft him in 1 league. I like Wilson more in the second half though. With Wilson getting back 2 offensive linemen in the next couple weeks as well as getting Harvin back we could see an uptick in the output he has on a weekly basis.

Ryan will keep getting his points but I don't think he is anything more than an average QB1 down the stretch, which is nothing to shake your fist at.

I wish I would have played Cam over Matt in one league where I have them both, but failed to change my lineup in time.. I expect he's a middle of the pack QB this week..

I honestly haven't seen his lack of weapons have any affect on his fantasy value, in my league. He's still putting up his typical numbers. I do, however, feel less confident in playing him but so far he's been as expected.

Bumping for my benefit...I am in a QB quandary in one of my leagues.

I had Ryan as my QB1 and had picked up Cutler as he was also producing. With Cutlers injury and Ryans mess in ATL I am up a creek. I am in first place this week but I feel I need to secure a QB quickly. I have considered picking up Jason Campbell as I also have Cameron Jordan and I like to double up on points but don't know who to drop, an injured Cutler who may not be the same when he gets back or Ryan who may not have anyone to throw to?

Do you think Ryan will still produce, at least better than a waiver wire QB?

In the one league I own Ryan, I thought I had a top 5 QB on my hands with upside. But now, he's an inconsistent, matchup play low end QB1. I wish I had a good backup, but never really fortified my QB sitation after Ryan's bye. Figured I'd ride him out. I hope to pick up Jake Locker off waivers, but if I fall short on my bid, I have no choice but to roll the dice each week on Ryan.

I'll be surprised if Matt Ryan is ranked above Locker this week and I'll be starting Locker either way.
ROS, I agree Locker is a priority add for Ryan owners, but I'll start Ryan over Locker this week easily. As mentioned above, the St Louis defensive front is legit.

I honestly haven't seen his lack of weapons have any affect on his fantasy value, in my league. He's still putting up his typical numbers. I do, however, feel less confident in playing him but so far he's been as expected.
Really?

He just had his worse week by far this past week and with the injuries and a very shaky offensive line my confidence in starting him every week has plummeted. I've been trying to deal him or at least target a but low like Kap to bring on in addition to him but havent been able to get a deal done.

I have Dalton as a backup, who of course has been on fire the last 3 weeks, but his pace is not sustainable. But it looks like I'm going with Ryan and Dalton and hoping for the best.

Still actively trying to deal Ryan or get another QB on the roster though.

Really?

He just had his worse week by far this past week and with the injuries and a very shaky offensive line my confidence in starting him every week has plummeted. I've been trying to deal him or at least target a but low like Kap to bring on in addition to him but havent been able to get a deal done.

I have Dalton as a backup, who of course has been on fire the last 3 weeks, but his pace is not sustainable. But it looks like I'm going with Ryan and Dalton and hoping for the best.

AZ has always been Ryan kryptonite, he'll bounce back this week.

In dynasty he's a hold obviously, but I just traded for Brees in a league where I'm a contender as I just don't feel confident starting him without his weapons. Gave up Manuel and a 2015 1st to grab Brees.

coming out of the Week 6 Bye, a tremendous number of 'experts' were filled with angst, that the Falcons were going to turn into the Jaguars overnight due to the Julio and Roddy injuries. Many of the so-called expert weekly rankings pushed Ryan down from the Top 6 or 7 into spots in the 16 to 25 range. I think one sight even ranked him down around #30 for Week 7 (I don't recall where FBG had him that week). This was typical over-reaction.

Against the Bucs, Ryan put up 273 yards and 3 TDs, as Harry Douglas went off for a 7-149 line, and they worked Quizz into the receiving game big time.

This past week, the Cardinals D had a great game plan, and they clamped down on Gonzo big time, and really put some pressure on Ryan. For whatever reason, ATL didn't attempt as many screen's to Quizz (he only had 2 catches) and the passing game looked sad.

Going forward, though, you won't get fair value for him if you try and trade him, and I don't think every team will have the success that AZ did. SEA and NO are tough DEF opponents upcoming, but CAR, TB and BUF can all be burned by Ryan even with primarily second teamers.

I'm staying the course. Julio and White injuries are absolutely killing Gonzalez's value, but I think Ryan will still have the ability to post decent numbers, certainly better than what could be expected picking up guys like Chad Henne or Ponder off of the waiver wire scrap heap.

Really?

AZ has always been Ryan kryptonite, he'll bounce back this week.
Fair enough.

But with how well Carolina's front 7 and defense as a whole has played recently combined with how poor ATL's o-line play has been all season this is another matchup that concerns me.

Carolina is good, but don't be too misled by the "Carolina has given up the 2nd fewest points to the QB position this season" stat. They already had their bye so that makes them look slightly better. And look at the talent they've faced at QB this year:

Russell Wilson

EJ Manuel

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Matt Cassel

Sam Bradford

Mike Glennon

Wow, I didn't realize everyone was so down on Ryan.

I just got a trade offer to get him, and I'm probably going to take it. I don't see the panic. He's been dealing with massive injuries at WR and has still been a top 7-8 QB. More yards than Rodgers and Romo. More TDs would be nice, but he's on pace for 32 of them.

He's been over 300 yards in 5 of 7 games.

He's had at least 2 TDs in 6 of 7 games.

I'm not sure what more people are wanting out of a fantasy QB.

Got offered (deep keeper) a $16 (to keep) Ryan for my $12 Kaepernick.

I think I'm going to take it. Though, I don't like Kaep as much as most. Ryan was on track to possibly join the elite group of fantasy QBs coming into this year and is turning in pretty good season despite the injury issues.

I just got a trade offer to get him, and I'm probably going to take it. I don't see the panic. He's been dealing with massive injuries at WR and has still been a top 7-8 QB. More yards than Rodgers and Romo. More TDs would be nice, but he's on pace for 32 of them.

I think I'm going to take it. Though, I don't like Kaep as much as most. Ryan was on track to possibly join the elite group of fantasy QBs coming into this year and is turning in pretty good season despite the injury issues.
Yeah I'd jump on that too.

Yeah I'd jump on that too.
It's done.

I suspect Ryan/Kaep owners represent two opposite spectrums of the "grass is greener" syndrome.

Ryan owners wish they had more upside. Kaep owners wish they had a guy they could be confident would throw for 275/2 every week.

Dealing Keap might come back to bite me, but I'll take that chance.

What are Matt Ryan owners doing?

He has struggled 2 weeks in a row now, with only Gonzo and Harry Douglas as the only real options in the pass game, this team looks to be on a downward spiral. Gonzo is getting doubled and even tripled teamed especially in the redzone and they can barely run the ball to work in play action. Roddy looks close to return but who knows with him, even when he was in the lineup, he looked far from impressive.

Are you Matt Ryan owners trying to trade for another QB, picking one up, or sticking with Ryan ROY?

Personally, I just picked Cutler up to stash him for a week or 2 to play matchups in the playoffs and I have been trying to make a trade, but cant seem to get one done.

When White comes back I think he'll be fine. Tough spot for him losing two of the NFL's best receivers, hard to blame a guy for things out of his control.

It depends on the league and what your options are but his schedule does get much better. A lot of QB's are going to struggle @Ari & @Car. That's a brutal 2 game stretch.

He has struggled 2 weeks in a row now, with only Gonzo and Harry Douglas as the only real options in the pass game, this team looks to be on a downward spiral. Gonzo is getting doubled and even tripled teamed especially in the redzone and they can barely run the ball to work in play action. Roddy looks close to return but who knows with him, even when he was in the lineup, he looked far from impressive.

Are you Matt Ryan owners trying to trade for another QB, picking one up, or sticking with Ryan ROY?

Personally, I just picked Cutler up to stash him for a week or 2 to play matchups in the playoffs and I have been trying to make a trade, but cant seem to get one done.
I traded for RG3 last week. Still have Ryan and Dalton (deep rosters) but have several offers to deal one of them.

RG3 has had his struggles as well but I think he offers much more upside at this point. The loss of Jones, Roddy potentially not being healthy all year, and a terrible O-line left me concerned enough that I wanted to go in a different direction.

ETA- I would think others would be interested in a ww option like Keenum??

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, i'm rolling with the hand I was dealt for the most part, but if the matchup is good for my backup QB (Terrelle Pryor) I'll start him instead of Ryan.

My opinion is that once Roddy gets back to playing it will improve Ryans play. It's not going to be at the level of when Julio was healthy, but he should be a servicable weekly starter.

Now, if you have stronger QB1 options, roll with those, but for the most part he should be ok when Roddy comes back.

Hopefully SJax stops pretending to be Michael Turner and can open the running game some which in turn opens up the passing game.

It depends on the league and what your options are but his schedule does get much better. A lot of QB's are going to struggle @Ari & @Car. That's a brutal 2 game stretch.
He still has Seattle this week and a week 16 matchup @ San Fran.

The schedule does look much better in between though.

I've come to the conclusion that my Matt Ryan led team, that I was so proud of in the preseason, and started off 5-0, but lost the last 4 games, kinda sucks.

:kicksrock:

Seattle and SF D's haven't been as scary as people thought. Would rather play them than Carolina for sure.

own Ryan in a 12-team dynasty start-up and I am holding. Have Tannehil, Glennon, and Mallet on my bench. Never though Glennon would be my top QB over the past 3-4 weeks. I will have to now play match ups and watch injury statuses to make my decision at QB where as before it would have been a no-brainer to plug in Ryan every week.

Next year will be interesting. No Gonzo, not sure if/when JJones will be back and be himself, and Roddy's injuries could lead to him hanging it up. I was grinning ear-to-ear when I drafted Ryan because of his weapons but it is amazing how a couple of months have just decimated his value.

Seattle and SF D's haven't been as scary as people thought. Would rather play them than Carolina for sure.
True but I still don't think they're good matchups. Both teams can be physical with WRs at the LOS and generate a pass rush (Aldon Smith should be back for SF then as well).

Ryan is not a QB who really buys time in the pocket or extends plays. So the way the o-line is protecting along with the loss of Julio and a diminished Roddy and the fact that they struggled to finish drives even with Julio.....I just decided to go another direction.

I do think it's reasonable to have some optimism if you will be starting Ryan for the rest of the year but for me, I just don't like the way this offense seems to be trending.

Carolina is good, but don't be too misled by the "Carolina has given up the 2nd fewest points to the QB position this season" stat. They already had their bye so that makes them look slightly better. And look at the talent they've faced at QB this year:

Russell Wilson

EJ Manuel

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Matt Cassel

Sam Bradford

Mike Glennon

Matt Ryan
Updated.

phrozen said:
own Ryan in a 12-team dynasty start-up and I am holding. Have Tannehil, Glennon, and Mallet on my bench. Never though Glennon would be my top QB over the past 3-4 weeks. I will have to now play match ups and watch injury statuses to make my decision at QB where as before it would have been a no-brainer to plug in Ryan every week.

Next year will be interesting. No Gonzo, not sure if/when JJones will be back and be himself, and Roddy's injuries could lead to him hanging it up. I was grinning ear-to-ear when I drafted Ryan because of his weapons but it is amazing how a couple of months have just decimated his value.
Roddy's going to 'hang it up' huh? At 32? Riiiiiight...

Holding for the future, but not expecting things to get much better this. Luckily, where I own him I have Foles or Rivers.

phrozen said:

Roddy's going to 'hang it up' huh? At 32? Riiiiiight...
the word could causing you trouble?

In a league where I have Ryan, Luck, and Locker I'm seriously considering dropping Ryan this week. It's just hard to see the upside with him now, and I feel like I have a very clear picture of his floor and it scares me.

In a league where I have Ryan, Luck, and Locker I'm seriously considering dropping Ryan this week. It's just hard to see the upside with him now, and I feel like I have a very clear picture of his floor and it scares me.
Nobody willing to trade? I'd send something to the Rodgers owner. Would think you could get a decent RB4/WR4 for him depending on other team's rosters.

Without weapons, it has been tough. My trade deadline has passed so I am putting in bids for Keenum and Foles. I will likely not get either since I only have 7 bucks left. After that, maybe Glennon and Campbell

Flacco on my bench. Not looking great for me

Thinking about floating an offer to the Rodgers owner and rolling with Locker + Keenum/Foles
I was thinking the same thing. Ryan for Rodgers straight up, to save his season (4-5) and help my team in the playoffs (7-2).

Thinking about floating an offer to the Rodgers owner and rolling with Locker + Keenum/Foles
I was thinking the same thing. Ryan for Rodgers straight up, to save his season (4-5) and help my team in the playoffs (7-2).
Hmm...I hadn't even thought about that, I was looking at someone like Marshall or something...this is a very similar situation though (6-3 for me, and could roll with Brady/Foles/Keenum to the playoffs, and 4-5 for him)

Hmm...I hadn't even thought about that, I was looking at someone like Marshall or something...this is a very similar situation though (6-3 for me, and could roll with Brady/Foles/Keenum to the playoffs, and 4-5 for him)
Im waiting until after the tests come out on Rodgers and see how long he is expected out before offering. Only other QB I have on my roster besides Ryan is Cutler and put a WW request in for Foles with the 5th waiver priority.

Big game this week...playoff implications. Ryan or Fitzpatrick? Don't feel good about either but isn't Roddy getting healthy? I just can't believe Ryan is this bad just because of Julio.

Eta: Leaning to Ryan

Even when he had Julio, he was producing well below his projected top 6 draft status. He was at least producing lower tier QB1 numbers, but not bringing the upside that most owners were hoping for. The past 5 weeks have been brutal for Ryan. He's averaging ~250 yards passing with 1.25 TDs and 1.8 INT's per game. There are a number of waiver wire QB's with more upside than Ryan.

The only reason I still keep him rostered is his upcoming schedule of Buffalo, Green Bay, and Washington. Even that doesn't make him anything more than an emergency fill-in and it's hard to have any confidence starting him with his recent weak production. Roddy's not feeling right, probably should be shut down. Tony Gonzalez all of a sudden looks like a lumbering plodder with his hurt toe. Douglas and Johnson aren't legit red zone targets. Does Ryan even have any good RZ targets anymore? I think it's a fair question.

Users who are viewing this thread