What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maurice Clarett's workout today (1 Viewer)

Being a faithful Denver follower of 30+ years, I would be very, very surprised to see Clarett in Denver.IMHO, the running back in this years draft that best fits the Denver system is Julius Jones.His has the quick acceleration to get him into the defensive backfield quickly (ala Portis). He also has the ability to make the first tackler miss to go along with solid vision, balance, and cutting skills. He also has the quickness to bounce to the outside much like Portis did in Denver.He also had a great combine in the agility drills. His only real knock has been his pass catching ability and durability, but he displayed solid pass receiving skills during his combine and individual workouts.

Everyone is on Denvers balls saying how they need an RB but they have enough guys to carry the load. My sleeper guess is that it was New England or not so sleeper Oakland.
It could be Dallas. Parcells has yet to attend any offseason workouts (combine, meetings, college days, senior bowl) so he could well be bringing the players to him.HERD

As much as I hate to admit this, put me down as one who will see Clarett succeed in the pros.So much of the running back position is instinctive and the ability to 'see' holes develop. The fact that Clarett was able to step right in as a freshman and succeed speaks volume for me.But he does have character issues; are these the same as Lawerence Phillips, Randy Moss or Warren Sapp? I am not sure.Does he lack some gifts as far as speed and quickness; sure he does.But I saw an undersized Darrin Nelson and Tony Dorsett excel between the tackles. And I have seen a Terrell Davis and Emmit Smith excel without great speed. As muchas I would like to count Maurice Clarett out, I cannot do it yet. But I would like to see him fall on his face if that counts for anything.
While it's obvious that few, if any actually like this kid. And everything from his work-out says his measureable are nothing special, why then do you believe his performance in the NFL will be anything more than "just average". When comparing his stats with Wells who ran behind that same O-line, I can only conclude that Clarrett is indeed nothing special.Jonathan Wells - 2001Season Total 232RA, 1257yds, 15TD, 11 rcpts, 117yds, 0 TDMaurice Clarett - 2002Season Total 222RA, 1237yds, 16TD, 12 rcpts, 104yds, 2 TDWould we conclude that Wells has the same instincts and ability to see holes develop? Clarrett did perform as a Freshman, I'll give him that. But the NFL is a huge jump from the NCAA and he may be a few years away from tasting any success, if at all.

It could be Dallas. Parcells has yet to attend any offseason workouts (combine, meetings, college days, senior bowl) so he could well be bringing the players to him.HERD
It said AFC team though.

you were pointing out me specifically?? what did i ever do to you?!?! :P Yeah Shanny told Mike to be ready then signed Hearst, so who knows whats up there. I am not disagreeing with you but with Den getting Wash's 2nd rounder I can see them grabbing Clarrett.Just a feeling.
Whoops sorry. Stupid typos :wall:

While it's obvious that few, if any actually like this kid. And everything from his work-out says his measureable are nothing special, why then do you believe his performance in the NFL will be anything more than "just average". When comparing his stats with Wells who ran behind that same O-line, I can only conclude that Clarrett is indeed nothing special.Jonathan Wells - 2001Season Total 232RA, 1257yds, 15TD, 11 rcpts, 117yds, 0 TDMaurice Clarett - 2002Season Total 222RA, 1237yds, 16TD, 12 rcpts, 104yds, 2 TDWould we conclude that Wells has the same instincts and ability to see holes develop? Clarrett did perform as a Freshman, I'll give him that. But the NFL is a huge jump from the NCAA and he may be a few years away from tasting any success, if at all.
Stats are only so important. You can't look at one player's stats and assume he's as good as another player just because their numbers are similar.

Clarett played in fewer games in a season then Wells and like you said was a freshman.

What is a bellcow?

"Obviously he's going to be a bellcow for somebody - he's got that type of ability," said former NFL fullback Tom Rathman, representing the Detroit Lions. "It's just a matter of him developing as a football player."

I would think that statistical production is a product of multiple things: talent, effort, experience (encompassing knowledge of the game plan/playbook, real game experience, etc), and surrounding cast. Assuming their surrounding cast was equal, Wells produced those numbers with far more experience (and possibly effort) while Clarett produced those numbers on talent alone. Had Clarett had three years experience working with that line, studying defenses, etc, I would be confident those numbers would be far better.

Still hurting from the new cornhole Clarett ripped your poor little Wolverines? :rotflmao:Edit to say see my avatar for a quick reminder. :yes: :rotflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a bellcow?
I believe it is the cow that wears the bell that the other cows follow. I do know I now need more cowbell.I that what is really telling by the Rathman quote is that he spent far too much time in Nebraska.

I think Clarett is going to be a solid pro, provided he goes to a team where he has the opportunity to play and an offensive line to protect him.But in reading over ESPN Insider's review of his workout, I would say it'll be tough for him to go before the late 2nd round. His 40 times were okay, but he tired as the workout progressed despite weighining 7 pounds less than his last weigh in. And he wasn't close to the receiver that Chris Perry was during his workout, according to several scouts on hand for both workouts.

I wondered the same thing.
What this thread needs is more cow bell...As for the Jonathon Wells vs. Clarett comparison, I would say that Yes they were comparable in terms of numbers. However, if you watched them both play at OSU, then you could easily make a solid case for Clarett being much better than Wells. Significantly better actually.I recall watching Wells run and thinking that he might be able to turn into Eddie George if he had another year at OSU. Same measureables, etc. However, when you watched Eddie George run at OSU in his senior year, you saw a remarkable difference from his junior to senior year (or his last year to next-to-last year, whatever year in school they were...). In his junior year, George typically outran his blocking and tried to make everything happen himself. In other words, he had a problem allowing the play to develop. In his senior year, that was dramatically improved, as you regularly saw him waiting for guys like Orlando Pace set up their blocks and he allowed his guards to pull whichever way the play was going. In his last year at OSU, Wells looked remarkably similar to George's junior year. He basically didn't allow plays to develop when he ran.Now if you watched Clarett play in his freshman year, you noticed that he indeed ran with authority, but also allowed things to develop. As someone else noted above, his "football IQ" seemed quite high. He made good cuts, he ran well behind his blockers, and he had just enough patience when he ran. All good signs of a guy who gets "it".I think it's obvious that the patience and vision is something that Wells lacked in his OSU days, and has never had a chance to develop in the NFL. So comparing their numbers and implying that there is something there is a little simplistic. Plus, we also are not making note of what changes they had along the OL from one season to the next. I have no clue, so I can't say about that.But I think it is rather easy to say a couple things about Clarett: (1) comparing him to Wells is unfair because he quite obviously is a better runner than Wells, and (2) he is an obvious boom-bust player. I happen to think he will do well eventually. Sooner in a place like Denver, and later in a place like Buffalo (to make the point of him going somehwere he will sit for a while). I also think his character issues are overblown, as I have no recollection of him getting into any domestic or other violent type troubles. He has had problems obviously. And that should not be ignored. But Cecil Collins and Lawrence Phillips this guy ain't.

What this thread needs is more cow bell...As for the Jonathon Wells vs. Clarett comparison, I would say that Yes they were comparable in terms of numbers. However, if you watched them both play at OSU, then you could easily make a solid case for Clarett being much better than Wells. Significantly better actually.I recall watching Wells run and thinking that he might be able to turn into Eddie George if he had another year at OSU. Same measureables, etc. However, when you watched Eddie George run at OSU in his senior year, you saw a remarkable difference from his junior to senior year (or his last year to next-to-last year, whatever year in school they were...). In his junior year, George typically outran his blocking and tried to make everything happen himself. In other words, he had a problem allowing the play to develop. In his senior year, that was dramatically improved, as you regularly saw him waiting for guys like Orlando Pace set up their blocks and he allowed his guards to pull whichever way the play was going. In his last year at OSU, Wells looked remarkably similar to George's junior year. He basically didn't allow plays to develop when he ran.Now if you watched Clarett play in his freshman year, you noticed that he indeed ran with authority, but also allowed things to develop. As someone else noted above, his "football IQ" seemed quite high. He made good cuts, he ran well behind his blockers, and he had just enough patience when he ran. All good signs of a guy who gets "it".I think it's obvious that the patience and vision is something that Wells lacked in his OSU days, and has never had a chance to develop in the NFL. So comparing their numbers and implying that there is something there is a little simplistic. Plus, are we also are not making note of what changes they had along the OL from one season to the next. I have no clue, so I can't say about that.But I think it is rather easy to say a couple things about Clarett: (1) comparing him to Wells is unfair because he quite obviously is a better runner than Wells, and (2) he is an obvious boom-bust player. I happen to think he will do well eventually. Sooner in a place like Denver, and later in a place like Buffalo (to make the point of him going somehwere he will sit for a while). I also think his character issues are overblown, as I have no recollection of him getting into any domestic or other violent type troubles. He has had problems obviously. And that should not be ignored. But Cecil Collins and Lawrence Phillips this guy ain't.
Agreed and the cow bell thing classic Will Ferrell/Christopher Walken.

Christopher Walken in those SNL skits was funny as heck. His completely deadpan way of delivering a somewhat funny line made the whole thing work. It could be funny in no other way whatsoever, but him delivering it made it. Still some of my favorite SNLs ever. Along with Billy Crystal doing the "I hate it when..." ones.

Clarett reminds me of Barlow, a power back with a little speed. I remember Shanny loved Barlow when he came out, telling the 49ers they got the best back in the draft. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go to Denver. Also the Chiefs defense has vastly improved over last year, Portis leaving the division should guarantee Gunther Cunningham will improve over Robinson. :wacko:

As for the Jonathon Wells vs. Clarett comparison, I would say that Yes they were comparable in terms of numbers. However, if you watched them both play at OSU, then you could easily make a solid case for Clarett being much better than Wells. Significantly better actually.I recall watching Wells run and thinking that he might be able to turn into Eddie George if he had another year at OSU. Same measureables, etc. However, when you watched Eddie George run at OSU in his senior year, you saw a remarkable difference from his junior to senior year (or his last year to next-to-last year, whatever year in school they were...). In his junior year, George typically outran his blocking and tried to make everything happen himself. In other words, he had a problem allowing the play to develop. In his senior year, that was dramatically improved, as you regularly saw him waiting for guys like Orlando Pace set up their blocks and he allowed his guards to pull whichever way the play was going. In his last year at OSU, Wells looked remarkably similar to George's junior year. He basically didn't allow plays to develop when he ran.Now if you watched Clarett play in his freshman year, you noticed that he indeed ran with authority, but also allowed things to develop. As someone else noted above, his "football IQ" seemed quite high. He made good cuts, he ran well behind his blockers, and he had just enough patience when he ran. All good signs of a guy who gets "it".I think it's obvious that the patience and vision is something that Wells lacked in his OSU days, and has never had a chance to develop in the NFL. So comparing their numbers and implying that there is something there is a little simplistic. Plus, we also are not making note of what changes they had along the OL from one season to the next. I have no clue, so I can't say about that.But I think it is rather easy to say a couple things about Clarett: (1) comparing him to Wells is unfair because he quite obviously is a better runner than Wells, and (2) he is an obvious boom-bust player. I happen to think he will do well eventually. Sooner in a place like Denver, and later in a place like Buffalo (to make the point of him going somehwere he will sit for a while). I also think his character issues are overblown, as I have no recollection of him getting into any domestic or other violent type troubles. He has had problems obviously. And that should not be ignored. But Cecil Collins and Lawrence Phillips this guy ain't.
All I'm saying is that if this guy is so much more talented and as you say has better vision and waits for plays to develop, why then are they so similar statistically? Granted, #'s aren't everything, but when there measureables are similar and their style of running is similar, their statistics are similar, with pretty much the same talent around them (no blue chip prospects from OSU that year and only 1 offensive player drafted on day one) that leads me to believe that like Wells, Clarrett isn't anything special either. Now again, Clarrett did perform as a freshman. But the reasons you give for Wells "sucking" (lack of vision and patience) are what you alledge to be Clarrett's strengths. So if he saw and anticipated the holes so much better, yet performed similar then he must be much more limited physically......... I just dont see how a guy can perform similar to Wells if he does in fact have better physical tools and more instncts/IQ, etc. So I have to question his instincts/IQ and tools, etc. I could be wrong, it's happened once before.

Anyone think there's a shot the Eagles take Clarett in the bottom of the 1st if he's there??Doesn't seem like a typical Andy Reid Guy, but with Westbrook as the outside runner, having Clarett for the inside would be a good complement.

Anyone think there's a shot the Eagles take Clarett in the bottom of the 1st if he's there??Doesn't seem like a typical Andy Reid Guy, but with Westbrook as the outside runner, having Clarett for the inside would be a good complement.
no way does Clarett go in round 1. There will be much better players on the board than Mo.

I think Clarett is going to be a solid pro, provided he goes to a team where he has the opportunity to play and an offensive line to protect him.But in reading over ESPN Insider's review of his workout, I would say it'll be tough for him to go before the late 2nd round. His 40 times were okay, but he tired as the workout progressed despite weighining 7 pounds less than his last weigh in. And he wasn't close to the receiver that Chris Perry was during his workout, according to several scouts on hand for both workouts.
The same could be said about all the top backs in this class. I think Perry is clearly the most accomplished receiver (at the RB position) in the draft. The way that Clarett is almost universally reviled amuses me. I think you are right in that he could be a solid pro, but it seems like people are looking under every rock to find a reason to hate the kid. Characterwise my guess is that he would be about average for the NFL--I think people forget that fact. If someone didn't know anything about football and read some of these Clarett threads they would probably come to the conclusion that the kid is a rapist or something. He's a thief, he didn't take his classes seriously and has a big ego. Pretty much sums up my opinion of most NFL players. Sure there are some high character players in the NFL, but for every John Lynch I can name 10 Randy Moss', Jamal Lewis', Ray Lewis', Steve McNair's (DUI and gun possession), etc. We don't award points in my league for 'Man of the Year' awards, United Way commercials or helping old ladies across the street. In my dynasty rookie draft if he falls because of character issues, I won't hesitate to draft him.

All I'm saying is that if this guy is so much more talented and as you say has better vision and waits for plays to develop, why then are they so similar statistically? Granted, #'s aren't everything, but when there measureables are similar and their style of running is similar, their statistics are similar, with pretty much the same talent around them (no blue chip prospects from OSU that year and only 1 offensive player drafted on day one) that leads me to believe that like Wells, Clarrett isn't anything special either. Now again, Clarrett did perform as a freshman. But the reasons you give for Wells "sucking" (lack of vision and patience) are what you alledge to be Clarrett's strengths. So if he saw and anticipated the holes so much better, yet performed similar then he must be much more limited physically......... I just dont see how a guy can perform similar to Wells if he does in fact have better physical tools and more instncts/IQ, etc. So I have to question his instincts/IQ and tools, etc. I could be wrong, it's happened once before.
Clarett did not play the full year while Wells missed one game (if my memory serves me correctly). Don't let the 40 times fool you Clarett has much faster playing speed coupled with vision, patience and power that could truely make him a special back. His catching ability is underrated and all this character talk is bull ####. The NFL and owners are pissed off he won the case and the media likes to dish out bad news.

...blah blah blah... We don't award points in my league for 'Man of the Year' awards, United Way commercials or helping old ladies across the street. In my dynasty rookie draft if he falls because of character issues, I won't hesitate to draft him.
Interesting idea...points for character awards and civic duties. I think you are onto something here. So let's see, should we take a do-gooder approach (awarding points for doing good) or a fatalist approach (awarding points for not doing bad, like everyone else)? I am inclined to say the do-gooder approach.So, we can award 1 point for every red light stopped at during the week. And let's say 3 points for every pedestrian they stop for in a crosswalk. Wow, this could get good. And let's say -3 points for every meter-maid they run over (the Randy Moss rule). And maybe -6 points for every moving violation they get CONVICTED for (and going to traffic school DOES NOT count). It only counts against them if it goes on their permanent driving record and their insurance rates are affected. Now I wonder where we can get these stats each week? Hey, Ken...can ya help us out on this one???? And finally, the team with the NFL Man of the Year gets an extra $50.That is such a good idea. But I should expect no less coming from the greatest German WWII general ever. We can talk about this further in the next league rules discussion though.As far as Clarett, I can promise you that he will not be there for you in that league. Not sure about your other league. And as for his character flaws, I agree totally with the view that it is overblown and he compares right on par with most other NFL players. I think opportunity in his first couple years will go much further than character in deciding Clarett's eventual NFL success (an obvious statement, I guess). And I do think he will prove to be a good pro football player. Maybe not his rookie year, but certainly by the time the dust settles. And probably by his second year, I think he will be a starter somewhere in the league. No matter what his 40 time said this week.

Clarett did not play the full year while Wells missed one game (if my memory serves me correctly). Don't let the 40 times fool you Clarett has much faster playing speed coupled with vision, patience and power that could truely make him a special back. His catching ability is underrated and all this character talk is bull ####. The NFL and owners are pissed off he won the case and the media likes to dish out bad news.
But their RA's and YPC, total yards, TD's, recpt.s, etc. are all eerily similar......... Me thinks they both were the products of the OSU offense.I never mentioned anything about his character in this thread. Do I think the guy is a turd? Yes, but like others have said, so are many other other NFL players. However, with all of his better skills, ability, vision, instincts, football IQ, etc.... He still couldn't out-produce Wells at the college level and I see no reason to think that he will at the NFL level.

He was a freshman. You seem to be ignoring that. Wells never sniffed that kind of production until his senior year. If you truly believe there's no skill gap between the two players then maybe you should break out the game tape. Heck, didn't Marquise Walker put up stats similar to those David Terrell put up? They must be the same player. Please, it's a weak argument.

But their RA's and YPC, total yards, TD's, recpt.s, etc. are all eerily similar......... Me thinks they both were the products of the OSU offense.I never mentioned anything about his character in this thread. Do I think the guy is a turd? Yes, but like others have said, so are many other other NFL players. However, with all of his better skills, ability, vision, instincts, football IQ, etc.... He still couldn't out-produce Wells at the college level and I see no reason to think that he will at the NFL level.
Agree with EastBay and would like to add you are still ignoring the fact Clarett didn't play the whole year you biased peice of crap. :P BTW I'm just messing with the biased remark so hope you don't get to offended by that.

He was a freshman. You seem to be ignoring that. Wells never sniffed that kind of production until his senior year. If you truly believe there's no skill gap between the two players then maybe you should break out the game tape. Heck, didn't Marquise Walker put up stats similar to those David Terrell put up? They must be the same player. Please, it's a weak argument.
Go back and read my earlier posts, I acknowledged that Clarett accomplished his numbers as a freshman. Which is a huge feat, normally. However, I would argue that most any college RB would have produced similar results in that Offense. But everyone wants to talk about all of his superior skills and intangibles, which frankly dont mean didley squat if they cant produce stats from them. Which Clarett clearly cannot. You want to use DT & Walker as an analagy?.... since neither has done squat in the NFL, not sure how that dis-proves my point. I never said there wasn't a skill gap between Wells and Clarett, I suppose there is. But whatever gap there may be wasn't enough to produce better results in college and IMHO, will not be enough to produce better results in the NFL either. Yet, you nor anyone else can launch a viable argument supporting your insistance on his future hall of fame career other your man-love emotion over watching him on film. Whatever..........

Jonathan Wells - 2001Season Total 232RA, 1257yds, 15TD, 11 rcpts, 117yds, 0 TDMaurice Clarett - 2002Season Total 222RA, 1237yds, 16TD, 12 rcpts, 104yds, 2 TD
Obviously OSU's offense was pretty RB-friendly, but honestly, it's hard to knock Clarett because he only slightly improved on Wells' 5.42 YPC.Clarett's 5.57 YPC was quite good; you can only improve so much on 5.4 YPC.

Maurice has the kind of instincts that the great RB's have. He is a born RB, while his measurables may not have been outstanding, they were decent for a guy a year removed from football. His vision is top notch, keep discounting him on his workout numbers and your gonna miss out on a top notch RB talent.There is no RB in this draft that has the ability Maurice does to read defenses and hit the right holes.Just 2 years ago everyone was all over Maurice saying how he was gonna be the next great back, a top 10 pick in the NFL draft, yada yada yada. Answer this, what has happened in the last year and a half that caused Maurice to lose his football ability? Did he all of a sudden lose his skills that had everyone drooling a short while back?If taking an oral test instead of a written one and fudging with an insurance claim are the worst he's done, then he is a poster child compared to most of the general public, and a saint compared to the NFL players. Ask yourself this question. After his freshman year did you forsee him becoming a great NFL RB? Most people were answering in the affirmative just a year ago.I guess people feel he is losing his abilities at the tender age of 20. Otherwise there is no reason for the 180 degree turn from these same people who were touting him in years past.Maurice Clarett can work through rust, and the NFL brass know that. He'll be gone by the 3rd round without a doubt. The guys making the calls in the draftrooms don't get brainwashed as easily as the general public.

Go back and read my earlier posts, I acknowledged that Clarett accomplished his numbers as a freshman. Which is a huge feat, normally. However, I would argue that most any college RB would have produced similar results in that Offense. But everyone wants to talk about all of his superior skills and intangibles, which frankly dont mean didley squat if they cant produce stats from them. Which Clarett clearly cannot. You want to use DT & Walker as an analagy?.... since neither has done squat in the NFL, not sure how that dis-proves my point. I never said there wasn't a skill gap between Wells and Clarett, I suppose there is. But whatever gap there may be wasn't enough to produce better results in college and IMHO, will not be enough to produce better results in the NFL either. Yet, you nor anyone else can launch a viable argument supporting your insistance on his future hall of fame career other your man-love emotion over watching him on film. Whatever..........
Alright, Sparky. This bull#### with you saying crap like this is enough to get me hooked. Consider me a "fish on".You continue to harp on this idiotic thought that Clarett = Wells. By your logic, we should be comparing them along the same curve. You say that Clarett ran behind basically the same OL. You say that Clarett put up the same numbers (he did, but in fewer games, but still the same numbers). I say that you should comparing their freshman seasons. Let's see:Clarett, 2002 1,237 yds rushing, 16 TDs, 104 yds rec, 2 TDs, 5.6 ypcWells, 1998 292 yds rushing, 3 TDs, 17 yds rec, 0 TDs, 5.7 ypcNo comparison. Clarett was BY FAR a better player when considering their respective Freshman years. Kinda silly to compare them, isn't it? Considering that Clarett had more opportunity than Wells in their respective Freshman years. Well, Clarett was a true Freshman playing at a major college football program who ended up starting from day 1 of his career. No comparison when comparing their respective Freshman years. Wells had Michael Wiley starting ahead of him. Clarett beat out Lydell Ross and a couple other guys. It's not like either of them had Eddie George or Robert Smith to contend with in their first season in Columbus...As for your "man-love" comment. I have no f'ing clue how you came up with that. But I will leave that for you to figure out. Go watch some game film. I promise you the people making the decisions that will affect Clarett's future (the team drafting him and the coaches he will work with...) are doing exactly that. And that obvioulsy impacts his FFB value. Go back and watch Wells also. Both at OSU and with Houston his rookie year. Honestly, I am not a scout or a coach. I can't sit there and say he should have hit whatever gap. But I can tell you that I am an informed fan who takes great pride in understanding the finer points of this game. Not to the NFL level obviously, or I would be doing that. But, watching both Clarett and Wells run gives me (and pretty much everyone but you apparently) a distinctly different impression between the two RBs. There are risks with him, for sure. And we all know that. And none of us are saying he will be a HOFer. But he can be a very solid pro football player. Is he any better than the other RBs ranked 3-10 this year? I dunno. I can say that I think Julius Jones will be a very good pro football player if he were to go to somewhere like Denver. Same goes for Quincy Wilson. Or Chris Perry. Or any of the other guys. I also understand that you are not making a big stink about the "character" aspect. But, I still say that your argument of "His numbers are the same as Wells, and he ran behind the same OL in the very next season, and therefore he will be the next Jonathon Wells" is way too simplistic. Simply put, if you write off Clarett for that reason, then you are missing something. Based on his play in his true freshman season of 2002, he proved to plenty of people (NFL people included, I presume) that he is very capable on a football field. Dealing with the police and an insurance company.....that's a whole 'nother ballgame. But then again, lots of us can never understand them insurance people. :)

I haven't heard a single NFL coach or personnel man say something outright bad about Clarett. The way the the coaches are quoted in many of these stories one can imagine that the interview phrased the question with a negative slant. All the scouts and personnel men are anonymous with their negatively. I'm sure the NFL is no different than any other corporation--there are a fair amount of followers that sit behind the scenes and jump on the bandwagons that keep them in a job but at the same time won't get them fired because everyone else viewed it the same way.And the Wells argument? Wells was a hugely successful high school RB that was expected to be a top college RB his freshman year. Wells didn't make it happen and arguably had a better skill position players around him during his Freshman year than Clarett did during his. Clarett on the other hand accomplished the same statistically in his Freshman. year with less skill players around him than Wells in his Sr. year. I think the guy with the Michigan Avatar may be projecting his favorite college team's tendency to have a great o-line distort the true potential of the RB (Wheatley, Jamie Morris, A-Train...). Ohio State usually has players that are better pros than they were in college.

People keep missing the key difference in the stats, Clarett didn't play a full season!!!! That is a stat you failed to post. Clarett would have blown away Wells if he had 1) played a full season 2) played healthy in most of his games. But he played injured in several games and missed a couple too.I can understand being a Go Blue fan not being able to comprehend this, but stats don't always tell the story.Clarett is night and day better than Wells, but his stats don't show it?? Okay, he put up very respectable stats as a freshman, who missed games and played injured in several others, on his way to helping his team win the National Championship game. He sucks! Wells is his equal, I see no difference?

As I said before, blu is still hurting from the huge cornhole Clarett ripped the Wolvies last season. :yes: :rotflmao:

As I said before, blu is still hurting from the huge cornhole Clarett ripped the Wolvies last season. :yes: :rotflmao:
Mad Cow, do we have to remind you of how bad Chris Perry made your #1 ranked (50 rushing yds per game) run defense look last year?Scoreboard dude. 2002 was not last season. Last season, Michigan made Ohio State their ##### once again.And, even though there is a ton of Maurice Clarett cornholing going on in this thread, the defense deserves most of the credit for winning that national championship in 2002, not Clarett. Craig Krenzel probably got about 5 yards per carry on the QB sneak they used to run every other play. That being said, Clarett is definitely an excellent between the tackles runner with great vision and most likely a superior RB when compared with Wells by any type of definition. But, I did find it somewhat surprising that their stats were so eerily similar. Starting at RB for a Big 10 school and national championship as a true freshman was very impressive...but if you ignore that fact, his season wasn't all that great. If he had come back in year 2 and year 3 and built on those numbers, then you'd be talking about a likely 1st round pick. As things stand, there is too much risk because we just haven't seen enough of him at this point, and the year away from football sure can't help his chances.

his season wasn't all that great.
I would agree that if he played last year and maybe another year, he wouldn't be a one year wonder. I think consistency or signs of improvement is what the NFL wants to see and is probably one of the main reasons they want 3 years out of high school. However, Clarett's stats are simple worthless since he missed 2 or 3 games and only played one or two series in 2 more games, plus injured or not 100% in the games he played at the end of the season. The stats are actually very good, but I like everyone else wants to see what he can do in the NFL, so less hype going in might actually help him.

All I have to say about all of this is what sort of ####### works so hard to get into the NFL and then during doesnt prepare his ### off for the workouts where he needs to prove his worth?Loo-serr

Mad Cow, do we have to remind you of how bad Chris Perry made your #1 ranked (50 rushing yds per game) run defense look last year?Scoreboard dude. 2002 was not last season. Last season, Michigan made Ohio State their ##### once again.And, even though there is a ton of Maurice Clarett cornholing going on in this thread, the defense deserves most of the credit for winning that national championship in 2002, not Clarett. Craig Krenzel probably got about 5 yards per carry on the QB sneak they used to run every other play. That being said, Clarett is definitely an excellent between the tackles runner with great vision and most likely a superior RB when compared with Wells by any type of definition. But, I did find it somewhat surprising that their stats were so eerily similar. Starting at RB for a Big 10 school and national championship as a true freshman was very impressive...but if you ignore that fact, his season wasn't all that great. If he had come back in year 2 and year 3 and built on those numbers, then you'd be talking about a likely 1st round pick. As things stand, there is too much risk because we just haven't seen enough of him at this point, and the year away from football sure can't help his chances.
Oh, I'm sorry. Was this thread about Perry?Nope, it was about a Michigan homer whining about Clarett because he still can't sit down. amaizingblu = sour grapes.Boo-Yah!

Your memory must be bad, because even though OSU's defense was pretty good during their championship yr, it was Clarett's running and has everyone forgot the play that won it for them....Clarett coming from behind and stripping the ball away from a Miami player and giving the ball back to the Bucks. The guy is a football player period. And to the Michigan homer trying to compare Wells to Clarett, well you lost all credibility cause your a Wolverine fan. :boxing: Clarett's character issues have been blown out of proportion when compared to a lot of other players. I think he will be a solid rb if he goes to the right team, not a superstar but a solid starting rb in the league . I think Chris Perry is more of a product of Mich offense than Clarett ever was for OSU.

Your memory must be bad, because even though OSU's defense was pretty good during their championship yr, it was Clarett's running and has everyone forgot the play that won it for them....Clarett coming from behind and stripping the ball away from a Miami player and giving the ball back to the Bucks.
That play was very impressive! But dude, he averaged like 2 yards per carry in that game vs. Miami so how can you say it was Clarett's running that won it for them? granted he did have 2 short yardage TD's, but I'd hardly hang my hat on 23 RA's for 47 yards in an OT game.If Miami was able to scheme for him and shut him down, dontcha think an NFL team might be able to. For those of you who cant seem to understand the comparison of Wells and Clarrett, look at the # of RA's and YPC..... they are eerily similar. Keep in mind that the OSU Offense had 1, repeat one guy drafted on day one that year (an OG).... and unless you consider late round picks on day 2 at FB & TE "Skill Position" players, they both had the exact same skill position players around them. Do I think Clarrett has more talent than Wells?.... sure, I do. Am I insiting that he will be a bust? No, but to ignore the possibility isn't too smart either. Yet Clarrett was not able to turn all of that alleged talent into better stats. So my point has been all along that maybe he is not as talented as all of you "Clarrett Lovers" alledge. You certainly have no factual or statistical data to support your arguments. I guess if he had played for more than one year or performed better in his work-outs we might not be having this conversation, but he didn't - so we are. So just call him what he is...... a crap shoot at the next level. Mad Cow shows his ignorance by trying to turn this into a UM vs. OSU thread.... which is fine by me since we've owned your punk ### for most of the last twenty years 13-6-1 to be exact :eek: But I'd hardly call a 14-9 OSU victory in which Maurice had 20 carries for 119yds and 1 TD a new "cornhole"........

Clarett was not able to turn all of that alleged talent into better stats.
And I'll say it again. Clarett had over 5.6 YPC. Just what qualifies for a "good" YPC in your estimation?

That play was very impressive! But dude, he averaged like 2 yards per carry in that game vs. Miami so how can you say it was Clarett's running that won it for them? granted he did have 2 short yardage TD's, but I'd hardly hang my hat on 23 RA's for 47 yards in an OT game.If Miami was able to scheme for him and shut him down, dontcha think an NFL team might be able to. For those of you who cant seem to understand the comparison of Wells and Clarrett, look at the # of RA's and YPC..... they are eerily similar. Keep in mind that the OSU Offense had 1, repeat one guy drafted on day one that year (an OG).... and unless you consider late round picks on day 2 at FB & TE "Skill Position" players, they both had the exact same skill position players around them. Do I think Clarrett has more talent than Wells?.... sure, I do. Am I insiting that he will be a bust? No, but to ignore the possibility isn't too smart either. Yet Clarrett was not able to turn all of that alleged talent into better stats. So my point has been all along that maybe he is not as talented as all of you "Clarrett Lovers" alledge. You certainly have no factual or statistical data to support your arguments. I guess if he had played for more than one year or performed better in his work-outs we might not be having this conversation, but he didn't - so we are. So just call him what he is...... a crap shoot at the next level. Mad Cow shows his ignorance by trying to turn this into a UM vs. OSU thread.... which is fine by me since we've owned your punk ### for most of the last twenty years 13-6-1 to be exact :eek: But I'd hardly call a 14-9 OSU victory in which Maurice had 20 carries for 119yds and 1 TD a new "cornhole"........
I can understand your argument but once again you fail to acknowledge Clarett not playing the full season and Wells missing only one game.

I can understand your argument but once again you fail to acknowledge Clarett not playing the full season and Wells missing only one game.
Ok, humor me...... how does not being able to play a whole season make a future stud in the NFL?

And I'll say it again. Clarett had over 5.6 YPC. Just what qualifies for a "good" YPC in your estimation?
Nothing wrong with his stats..... but the point is was it him or the Offensive system?Given the fact that Wells performed very similarly, that would lead some to think Clarrett wouldn't have as successful elsewhere.

Ok, humor me...... how does not being able to play a whole season make a future stud in the NFL?
Nothing but you are saying that the stats are similar yet fail to recognize this. If Clarett would have ran the whole year he would have blown Wells numbers out of the water. It is unfair to compare the two just because they went to the same school. They are the same style back but obviously someone see's something more in Clarett for him to be a 2nd round back (probably a first had it not been for all this crap) and Wells a 4th.

Nothing wrong with his stats..... but the point is was it him or the Offensive system?Given the fact that Wells performed very similarly, that would lead some to think Clarrett wouldn't have as successful elsewhere.
I don't believe so. If it were Lydell Ross and Maurice Hall would have tore it up last year. They had the identical offensive line, QB, FB, and WRs. They could not carry Clarett's jock last year.

Fine. But the point you should be making is not "Clarett is no better than Wells", but rather that "Clarett's college stats were inconclusive". The latter statement I will agree with, to a point. The former one is sophistry.

Users who are viewing this thread