What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maurice Drew = RB Value Pick of Dynasty Drafts (1 Viewer)

Baracuda

Footballguy
There has been a lot of controversy regarding whether Maurice Drew is an NFL starting RB because of his height. I say yes, and he will be a very good one at that. Let's a closer look.

Size: 5'7" and 205 lbs. That's way bigger than Darren Sproles and many other 3rd down RBs who is an inch shorter and only 180-185 lbs. It's big enough to get it done and he reminds me of Joe Morris, the Giants pro-bowl RB who was also only 5'7". Or Brian Westbrook.

Speed/Quickness: Solid. Drew ran a 4.41 40-yard dash and is very quick in drills and in games.

Running Ability: Great moves and vision. He can make people miss and is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball.

Hands: Drew is a great receiver and this will help keep him on the football field. He caught 31 passes for a 14.6 yards/catch average which is pretty good for a RB.

Blocking: He might struggle here and this could hurt his playing time, but he does not appear afraid to take on blockers.

Attitude: I just saw Drew's interview on the NFL network. It's clear to me that this kid get's it. He understands that he's coming in as a "freshman" all over again and that he'll have to work hard to earn the respect of his team. He noted he will never take a play off and he can't wait to learn an NFL playbook. Grandfather was a huge influence in Drew's life and there are no known character issues with him.

Bottom Line: I think he's a player who is a talent that will slip on draft day because of his height. In a few years we'll look back and find that Drew was the steal of our dynasty rookie drafts. Kind of like Clinton Portis was years ago. From a dynasty league perspective, most owners will view him as a 3rd down back only. So, if you can scoop him up in a rookie draft cheaply, I would do it in a heartbeat and stash this kid on your roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's cheap? He's probably going to go anywhere from 1.6-1.12 in most leagues. Maybe he'll slip a couple of picks lower but that's it. Wouldn't rule him out going higher than 1.6 either if he lands in an ideal situation.

What's cheap? He's probably going to go anywhere from 1.6-1.12 in most leagues. Maybe he'll slip a couple of picks lower but that's it. Wouldn't rule him out going higher than 1.6 either if he lands in an ideal situation.
I've got the 1.11 pick in the [DYNASTY] league in the sig... and I've got my eyes on him... also got my eyes on Super Mario (since our league rewards points for Sack and Int only for IDP and great sack artists - ala Freeney, Strahan, Taylor never change teams in that league)...I think the top7 pick will include: RBush, DWilliams, LMaroney, LWhite, VDavis, CJackson, SHolmes...

Then comes (depending if your league is QB friendly or not): MLeinart, VYoung, JCutler...

So, at 1.09-1.12 - one might be looking at Addai / Calhoun / Drew ... and I don't think Drew is that bad (if RMoats, VMorency, EShelton went there last year - I think that Drew can play with them)...

Drew is rising on my board. I still doubt I have him high enough that someone else won't take him first.

He seems to have a strong 2nd round grade pretty much everywhere you look. If he goes there I will be surprised if he is a value pick after the draft.

I caught his interview on NFL Total Access last night. By far and away the best interview I have seen from any of the prospects. Ferguson's is a close second. Yes, all those guys get coaching from their management firms but Drew's answers and the depth of what he said was impressive coming from anyone that age. Highly articulate and thought out responses with strong emotional foundations...SHARP young man.

Prior to viewing the interview my feelings...

He'll have an NFL career but I see him being a D. Megget and or K. Faulk type back, which is very good work if you can get it. That's a solid career in the league but I just do not see Drew as 1-2 down starting RB.

Now...

If he lands on the right team and system with a coaching staff that will give him a chance to compete for carries, then he has as good a shot as any at winning a job.

Yeah, he is small but all the other measurables and human intangibles are heavily stacked in his favor.

I caught his interview on NFL Total Access last night. By far and away the best interview I have seen from any of the prospects. Ferguson's is a close second. Yes, all those guys get coaching from their management firms but Drew's answers and the depth of what he said was impressive coming from anyone that age. Highly articulate and thought out responses with strong emotional foundations...SHARP young man.
His draft diary also jives with this. If he's there at 64 and the Steelers take him (they had a good visit), Ill take that any day. he's not the bruiser we're looking for, but will be an elite punt returner and pass catching back. I think he would definitely be more productive than Parker in the same role in the running game.

I picked him 9th in our 14 person keeper league rookie draft. I dont think he will be a starting rb for a few years but with his strength and intelligence you never know what can happen.

Isn't Drew the guy that played the Oompa Loompa in the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp?

No, wait, I think the Oompa Loompa was taller. Who was it then?

Drew :wub:

Definitely love his intangibles. I've watched him for many years going back to his high school days. He is far and away my favorite player in the draft. I'm a Bruin homer, but I don't care so much for Lewis, Havner is an enigma, Page is a nice late round sleeper, and I think Olson is a burned draft pick. Drew is special, on the field and off.

I can tell you there are some small maturity issues. He really is just a kid, a bit shy, not cocky at all. A little like Quentin Griffin in that regard. Great kid, may not take to the big stage if all the cameras are in his face. Dunno.

Bienemy and Dorrell did not use him properly last year. They sent him all kinds of mixed messages. He was benched for Markey more than once. It was always a bit of a committee, but at times Drew was being punished for his mistakes. My view of that was Bienemy was an idiot and Dorrell was too weak to do anything about it.

The coaching issues were a product of Drew's biggest flaw, which stems from his height. I hate to say it. He does not run with good vision from the backfield. In space, the talk that he was as dynamic as Bush is stretching it, but he is amazingly good. He has some of the best moves you'll ever see, and some of them are unique to him.

Bienemy was trying very hard to get Drew to always hit the designed hole. That's fine, but we all know sometimes that hole is closed, and great backs go elsewhere, sometimes creating huge plays. Drew is very good at improvising. He was doing it too much for Bienemy's liking. So Poor Mo, just started putting on the blinders and barreling into the defense, the right hole, open or not. Then he got ripped to shreds on the sideline for following the bad instructions. I've never been more disturbed with a coach than I was with Bienemy last year. I emailed him several times.

But, you're right, Drew gets it. He just wants to play. No off field worries. He's a gamer. He keeps coming. He does what his coaches ask, even when they're idiots. But he'll never amount to much unless a coach understands his unique abilities. Who Dat has the probable scenario, Dave Meggett, Kevin Faulk, good work if you can get it.

But IF a coaching staff gives him a better opportunity and literally designs an offense around his unique abilities, he could be very very productive. When UCLA did that his sophomore year, because they didn't have another back to play, he had some incredible games. Combined yards-- 221 against Stanford, 222 against SD st., 384 against Washington (322 rushing). He'll lose yards on more plays than you'll like, but then... zooom, he's gone.

He reminds me of an old-timer. Robert Newhouse + Speed.

Regarding the Honda comment, it should only be a honda if it's obvious news and not a post that is buried somewhere in the system. Something is wrong with the search capabilities of the forum 'caused I search for Maurice Drew forums. There's only so much searching a person should have to do.

I'll give you props for calling it early though. Good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll lose yards on more plays than you'll like, but then... zooom, he's gone.

He reminds me of an old-timer. Robert Newhouse + Speed.
This part sounds like another old-timer...a certain Detroit RB that wore #20. Good info, Chaos. Thanks.

He'll lose yards on more plays than you'll like, but then... zooom, he's gone. 

He reminds me of an old-timer.  Robert Newhouse + Speed.
This part sounds like another old-timer...a certain Detroit RB that wore #20. Good info, Chaos. Thanks.
Sims?

Users who are viewing this thread