What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mayor Francis Suarez and the ‘Miami miracle’ - Presidential Candidate? (1 Viewer)

I live in Miami. There's a lot I like about Suarez, but the idea that he can be elected president is :lmao:

For one thing, people think of the mayor of Miami as being roughly on par with the mayor of NY or LA. But that's not how government is set up in Florida. The city of Miami has a few hundred thousand people, and being mayor is a part-time job. Suarez also works as a lawyer and advises a PE firm (the latter of which always seemed like a pretty big conflict of interest, but I digress). The local official who actually has power down here is the mayor of Miami-Dade County, which includes 34 municipalities (Miami, Miami Beach, Doral, etc.) covering some 3M people. Suarez is more like Pete Buttigieg than Mike Bloomberg; in fact, while he has a larger population than Pete did, he has fewer responsibilities (the unelected city manager runs most of the day-to-day stuff).

Second, the notion that he could ever get the Republican nomination is also fanciful. This is a guy who not only didn't support Trump, he also didn't support DeSantis. No way the right wing goes for someone like that, not even for a statewide office in Florida, much less for president.

Honestly, the smarter move for Suarez would be to switch parties and run as a Democrat. (His father, himself a former mayor, started out as a Dem before switching to the GOP.) The Florida/Miami-Dade Democratic parties are both such a mess, they would probably embrace him out of necessity (witness them repeatedly nominating a former Republican, Charlie Crist, for governor). I could easily see him winning the nomination to face Rick Scott in '24. And he would have a lot more room to maneuver as an independent-thinking centrist, whereas to run as a Republican he will have to kiss the ring (and it still won't be enough to make them trust him).

But it appears instead that he's doubling down on the Republican thing. It wouldn't surprise me if he comes out in support of DeSantis this time around, which is kind of a freebie since he's obviously going to win. But it won't be nearly enough.

Don't know a lot about him but the first impressions are positive...very refreshing to see a big-city Mayor in 2022 have a handle on crime.

For one thing, people think of the mayor of Miami as being roughly on par with the mayor of NY or LA. But that's not how government is set up in Florida. The city of Miami has a few hundred thousand people, and being mayor is a part-time job...; in fact, while he has a larger population than Pete did, he has fewer responsibilities (the unelected city manager runs most of the day-to-day stuff).
We seem to routinely elect governors from Texas (supposedly the least powerful governor) and never elect governors from Maryland (said to be most powerful).

For one thing, people think of the mayor of Miami as being roughly on par with the mayor of NY or LA. But that's not how government is set up in Florida. The city of Miami has a few hundred thousand people, and being mayor is a part-time job...; in fact, while he has a larger population than Pete did, he has fewer responsibilities (the unelected city manager runs most of the day-to-day stuff).
We seem to routinely elect governors from Texas (supposedly the least powerful governor) and never elect governors from Maryland (said to be most powerful).

Unfortunately they are still dealing with the ghost of Spiro Agnew…he left a mark…anyone from Massachusetts regardless of the position is worse because they are a guaranteed loser…Dukakis, Kerry and Romney in the general as well as Fat Ted, Deval Patrick, Billy Weld, Professor Warren and Tsongas In the primaries have all failed in the past 50 years.

Unfortunately they are still dealing with the ghost of Spiro Agnew…he left a mark…
Agnew represented the modern GOP before there was a modern GOP. But I don't think he is the reason for much of anything.

My point was that the relative strength and power of the current position isn't really terribly relevant in who gets elected. It might even be a benefit to be more of a figure head than someone in charge.

Routinely? We elected one. (And some might say we didn't even do that).

I had always heard NJ was one of the most powerful governorships. They appoint everyone, and up until recently they didn't even have a Lt. Gov.

In any event, I generally agree with Z Machine that mayors don't get nominations, although I would at least say that when I see a big-city mayor of NY or LA I don't automatically consider them unqualified. But the key point with someone like Suarez is that he has zero experience managing a large, or even medium-sized, bureaucracy. Also, his rep locally is as a lightweight who does a great job on Twitter but leaves the nitty gritty to other people.

I live in Miami. There's a lot I like about Suarez, but the idea that he can be elected president is :lmao:

For one thing, people think of the mayor of Miami as being roughly on par with the mayor of NY or LA. But that's not how government is set up in Florida. The city of Miami has a few hundred thousand people, and being mayor is a part-time job. Suarez also works as a lawyer and advises a PE firm (the latter of which always seemed like a pretty big conflict of interest, but I digress). The local official who actually has power down here is the mayor of Miami-Dade County, which includes 34 municipalities (Miami, Miami Beach, Doral, etc.) covering some 3M people. Suarez is more like Pete Buttigieg than Mike Bloomberg; in fact, while he has a larger population than Pete did, he has fewer responsibilities (the unelected city manager runs most of the day-to-day stuff).

Second, the notion that he could ever get the Republican nomination is also fanciful. This is a guy who not only didn't support Trump, he also didn't support DeSantis. No way the right wing goes for someone like that, not even for a statewide office in Florida, much less for president.

Honestly, the smarter move for Suarez would be to switch parties and run as a Democrat. (His father, himself a former mayor, started out as a Dem before switching to the GOP.) The Florida/Miami-Dade Democratic parties are both such a mess, they would probably embrace him out of necessity (witness them repeatedly nominating a former Republican, Charlie Crist, for governor). I could easily see him winning the nomination to face Rick Scott in '24. And he would have a lot more room to maneuver as an independent-thinking centrist, whereas to run as a Republican he will have to kiss the ring (and it still won't be enough to make them trust him).

But it appears instead that he's doubling down on the Republican thing. It wouldn't surprise me if he comes out in support of DeSantis this time around, which is kind of a freebie since he's obviously going to win. But it won't be nearly enough.
perhaps his play is a governor run or, although as you said he is not bff with Trump/DeSantis currently, I could see him with a cabinet or admin position at the WH if the Republicans are in. The talent is there.

Users who are viewing this thread