What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McNabb isn't very bright (1 Viewer)

Holy crap!

When he first said he didn't know that the NFL rules allowed for a tie I thought it was "player-speak" like he was always going for the win and not the tie. But when asked directly again it was clear that he really didn't know that there could be a tie in the NFL.

What a maroon.

I would say that is surprising, but I'd hardly say he's not very bright.

NFL teams just learned something new to review in pre-Season each year.

This reminds me:

Is McNabb one of the team captains? If so, he would be out there for the coin flip in OT, and the refs always points out the rules of overtime before doing the flip.

Mcnabb was f'n terrible in this game and cost me my suicide poll. F U Mcnabb! And Reid is by far the worst coach in the NFL as well.

Mcnabb was f'n terrible in this game and cost me my suicide poll. F U Mcnabb! And Reid is by far the worst coach in the NFL as well.
i feel u man.....killed us too but i do not agree he is the worst. sorry and i guess we get ready for something else :thumbup:

On the positive side, at least McNabb got through all five quarters without growing disoriented, dehydrated, and vomiting on the field, as he did against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

I would say that is surprising, but I'd hardly say he's not very bright.NFL teams just learned something new to review in pre-Season each year.
That's on the coaches to tell him if anything.
ROFFLMAO!On the COACHES? Seriously? Maybe the coaches should tell him about paperwork in the bathroom too then. That is inexcusable. I'm surpised he wasn't taken an eye out with a fork when he eats yet. Probably doesn't use a fork, that would explain that.... he drinks Campells soup out of a cup too I'd guess... even a spoon would have to come with directions, like which end to hold and whatnot.

Rovers said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
Boot said:
I would say that is surprising, but I'd hardly say he's not very bright.NFL teams just learned something new to review in pre-Season each year.
ROFFLMAO!On the COACHES? Seriously? Maybe the coaches should tell him about paperwork in the bathroom too then. That is inexcusable. I'm surpised he wasn't taken an eye out with a fork when he eats yet. Probably doesn't use a fork, that would explain that.... he drinks Campells soup out of a cup too I'd guess... even a spoon would have to come with directions, like which end to hold and whatnot.
I'm assuming we're talking about him not knowing that the game ends in a tie after the clock hits 0:00 in OT.When's the last time it happened?Do you think that maybe someone should be discussing the possibility with the QB on the sideline with a few minutes to go?

By the way, the last tie (ATL/MIN) the HC of Atlanta had to call upstairs IIRC to find out what happens if the OT period ends. He didn't know either.

I think that was Jim Mora, Jr.

By the way, the last tie (ATL/MIN) the HC of Atlanta had to call upstairs IIRC to find out what happens if the OT period ends. He didn't know either.

I think that was Jim Mora, Jr.
Check that.Mora Jr. did call upstairs for help in OT, but it wasn't the tie game. It nearly was and he was asking about playoff tiebreaker implications.

ATL-TB-2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that maybe someone should be discussing the possibility with the QB on the sideline with a few minutes to go?
Why would they? Do you honestly think that a coach, with a few minutes left in an NFL game, is going to say "now remember, if neither team scores in overtime then the game will end in a tie." Seriously?! McNabb is a complete ####### for not knowing that this was the case. There's simply no excuse for such stupidity, especially if you're the supposed leader of your team.

Ignorant? Yes.

Dumb? No.

Scary a QB with this much experience didn't know you could tie in the regular season? A bit.

Surprised about his reaction after thinking about how few ties there have been since 1974? Nope.

milo66 said:
On the positive side, at least McNabb got through all five quarters without growing disoriented, dehydrated, and vomiting on the field, as he did against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.
he was looking for Harrison

Do you think that maybe someone should be discussing the possibility with the QB on the sideline with a few minutes to go?
Why would they? Do you honestly think that a coach, with a few minutes left in an NFL game, is going to say "now remember, if neither team scores in overtime then the game will end in a tie." Seriously?! McNabb is a complete ####### for not knowing that this was the case. There's simply no excuse for such stupidity, especially if you're the supposed leader of your team.
I'm not saying McNabb shouldn't know the rule. Far from it. He is supposed to know these things.However, in the heat of a game, players forget stuff like not having timeouts or other game situations. You're supposed to remind them of things as a coach.

Both the coaching staff and McNabb are at fault here, but I firmly believe it is more on the coaches to remind the player of a rare end-game scenario than on the player.

"Huddle up guys. Coach Reid just told me if we get 10 yards in the next four plays, we get to stay on the court."

Ignorant? Yes. Dumb? No. Scary a QB with this much experience didn't know you could tie in the regular season? A bit. Surprised about his reaction after thinking about how few ties there have been since 1974? Nope.
He is dumb. There is no other word to describe this. How can you not possibly know that if at the end of OT if you are tied, it is a tie? Come on man. The guy is a box of rocks. BTW, i really like Mcnabb, but this is not a smart person.

I'm not saying McNabb shouldn't know the rule. Far from it. He is supposed to know these things.However, in the heat of a game, players forget stuff like not having timeouts or other game situations. You're supposed to remind them of things as a coach.

Both the coaching staff and McNabb are at fault here, but I firmly believe it is more on the coaches to remind the player of a rare end-game scenario than on the player.
Boy, you are really a McNabb apologist. The guy is a 10 year veteran. If the Eagles had the ball with a minute left and the coach reminded him about the OT rule because of being in the heat of the game, I could understand it. But this was after the game him saying that he didnt know the rule existed. I dont think you can put this on the coaches.

Boy, you are really a McNabb apologist. The guy is a 10 year veteran. If the Eagles had the ball with a minute left and the coach reminded him about the OT rule because of being in the heat of the game, I could understand it. But this was after the game him saying that he didnt know the rule existed. I dont think you can put this on the coaches.
I knew someone would say this.McNabb should have known this, but the coaches take some of the blame.

I'd say the same about any player and I guarantee you that other players in the NFL were unaware of ties.

Believe what you want to believe, but I'm as harsh a critic of the Eagles as anyone, possibly more.

Rovers said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
Boot said:
I'm assuming we're talking about him not knowing that the game ends in a tie after the clock hits 0:00 in OT.When's the last time it happened?Do you think that maybe someone should be discussing the possibility with the QB on the sideline with a few minutes to go?
Oh please! Do the owners of FBG's have to tell you where the * key is on your keyboard? These are some things that are a given. Like 4 downs, how many TO's you get in a half, knowing there are 4 quarters and knowing that there is only one OT quarter in the regular season. Sorry, but McNabb is both ignorant AND stupid. This has to be in fact, one of the MOST stupid things I have ever heard a vetean NFL player EVER say. Good lord.... and people want to make excuses for him? "Sorry officer, I thought the yellow light meant speed up.""That's OK son, your parents should have told you about that. You can go now, after you sweep the glass off the road."

I understand the general context of what you're trying to say regarding the role of a coach, but that has more to do with game situation, obscure rules, timeouts remaining, etc that they should be discussing with players in the heat of the moment. This isn't an obscure rule or situation. It's a commonly known fact. The coaches aren't there to tell their players that if the score is tied at the end of regulation, then there is a 15 minute overtime period that will be played just the same as they're not there in the middle of an overtime period to tell any player, let alone a veteran, that if the score is still tied at the end of that overtime that the game then ends in a tie. That's just silly.

Some of the comments in this thread are exactly why some people hate to post in the Shark Pool anymore.

Believe it or not, people are entitled to opinions.

Mine is that there are players that don't know every single rule in the league, and that the coaches' job is to remind them of rarely used rules so that the player can perform better and make intelligent decisions.

As for not knowing something that happens once every 5 years or so, what about the rule that a kick returner can step out of bounds and then reach in bounds for a kickoff, thereby drawing a penalty and getting the ball on the 40?

What about a fair catch of a kick followed by a free kick for a field goal?

How many 10-year vets know those rules?

Some of the comments in this thread are exactly why some people hate to post in the Shark Pool anymore.Believe it or not, people are entitled to opinions.Mine is that there are players that don't know every single rule in the league, and that the coaches' job is to remind them of rarely used rules so that the player can perform better and make intelligent decisions.As for not knowing something that happens once every 5 years or so, what about the rule that a kick returner can step out of bounds and then reach in bounds for a kickoff, thereby drawing a penalty and getting the ball on the 40? What about a fair catch of a kick followed by a free kick for a field goal?How many 10-year vets know those rules?
The point is that IT'S NOT AN OBSCURE RULE. My goodness. What do you think McNabb thought? That there was a 2nd overtime period? That they had some sort of soccer league shootout where the kickers take turns kicking field goals? I like McNabb, but he's as dumb as dumb can be for not knowing that there's only one overtime period and that a game can end in a tie.

Some of the comments in this thread are exactly why some people hate to post in the Shark Pool anymore.Believe it or not, people are entitled to opinions.Mine is that there are players that don't know every single rule in the league, and that the coaches' job is to remind them of rarely used rules so that the player can perform better and make intelligent decisions.As for not knowing something that happens once every 5 years or so, what about the rule that a kick returner can step out of bounds and then reach in bounds for a kickoff, thereby drawing a penalty and getting the ball on the 40? What about a fair catch of a kick followed by a free kick for a field goal?How many 10-year vets know those rules?
The point is that IT'S NOT AN OBSCURE RULE. My goodness. What do you think McNabb thought? That there was a 2nd overtime period? That they had some sort of soccer league shootout where the kickers take turns kicking field goals? I like McNabb, but he's as dumb as dumb can be for not knowing that there's only one overtime period and that a game can end in a tie.
I have to agree. It borders on unbelievable.

I'll ask again:

Is McNabb one of the team captains? If so, he would be out there for the coin flip in OT, and the refs always points out the rules of overtime before doing the flip, in which case, there would be NO EXCUSE for McNabb to not know, unless he has his thumb up his ### while the ref is going over everything.

He thought that they played on into another OT period. While completely wrong, that's a reasonable belief.The point is that the fact that he still believed that at the end of the game means that not a single coach said anything about the possibility of a tie, which I find inexcusable.

Well you would think if he didnt know he would ask. "hey bro what happens if we don't score this OT period?" I wouldn't put the blame on the coaches. The coaches would assume that players know the rule book...When Plaxico Burress spiked the ball his rookie season after a reception and hitting the ground (thinking he was down per college rules), was that the coaches fault!?Coach: Hey Plaxico before you go out for this drive, don't forget you have to be touched to be downPlaxico: Thanks coach, I didn't read my rule book for the first day of camp, I would have made a real big bone-headed playKeep in mind Jeffery- sure people are entitled to their opinions, but others are entitled to challenge your opinions in a discussion. That's what a forum like this is for- to weigh different opinions and have a discussion on why they believe that and how the other person thinks that is wrong. Just because someone challenges your opinion and calls it what it is, doesn't mean you have a right to throw a fit and "take your ball and go home"

Last edited by a moderator:
He thought that they played on into another OT period. While completely wrong, that's a reasonable belief.The point is that the fact that he still believed that at the end of the game means that not a single coach said anything about the possibility of a tie, which I find inexcusable.
Sorry Jeff, this isn't even 1% on the coaches. The coaches shouldn't have to explain something as commonly known as the fact that you only play one overtime during the regular season in an NFL game. There's nothing about the coaches in this situation that is inexcusable.

Sorry Jeff, this isn't even 1% on the coaches. The coaches shouldn't have to explain something as commonly known as the fact that you only play one overtime during the regular season in an NFL game. There's nothing about the coaches in this situation that is inexcusable.
Training on the job down?

You are trying to compare obscure rules to a very basic one. Pulling the "why people don't post in the shark pool" thing.... wow. Yes, everyone has a right to there opinions... like the "Free money" SEA/AZ thread. This has gotten rather bizarre.... because JP has an opinion no one else shares, it's some prototypical post about volatility in the shark pool? OK, Jeff.... whatever you say.

Well you would think if he didnt know he would ask. "hey bro what happens if we don't score this OT period?"
I completely agree with this.
Keep in mind Jeffery- sure people are entitled to their opinions, but others are entitled to challenge your opinions in a discussion. That's what a forum like this is for- to weigh different opinions and have a discussion on why they believe that and how the other person thinks that is wrong. Just because someone challenges your opinion and calls it what it is, doesn't mean you have a right to throw a fit and "take your ball and go home"
I have no issue with challenging my opinion. Dismissing it as the voice of a McNabb apologist is what I'm completely against. I'd say this about any QB or player who said this after the game.Apparently Chad 85 also said it? Did I read that earlier?

You are trying to compare obscure rules to a very basic one. Pulling the "why people don't post in the shark pool" thing.... wow. Yes, everyone has a right to there opinions... like the "Free money" SEA/AZ thread. This has gotten rather bizarre.... because JP has an opinion no one else shares, it's some prototypical post about volatility in the shark pool? OK, Jeff.... whatever you say.
:bag:

I've never shyed away from a discussion in the SP. In fact I probably post more than any other staffer.It's the allegations that I can't be unbiased about an Eagle making a comment that I have a problem with.Disagree with the opinion? Fine.Question the integrity of it? Not cool.

I have no issue with challenging my opinion. Dismissing it as the voice of a McNabb apologist is what I'm completely against. I'd say this about any QB or player who said this after the game.Apparently Chad 85 also said it? Did I read that earlier?
Any player that doesn't know a basic rule in the NFL should be held accountable. Only the player. Not the coaches. I'm sure the coaching staff provides each player with a rule book upon entering the NFL. The coaches cannot force them to read it.A Quarterback is held to a higher standard too. He should know every rule inside and out. He's the leader of the team. Seriously, what kind of leader does he look like if Hank Baskett comes into the huddle and says, "okay D let's really push the ball on this drive we can't take a tie and this is probably the last time we'll see the ball" McNabb- "huh? a tie? " :bag:

Buckhalter and Avant also admitted to not knowing the OT rule, the Eagles are just not a well coached team.

Jeff Pasquino,

I'll ask again:

Is McNabb one of the team captains? If so, he would be out there for the coin flip in OT, and the refs always points out the rules of overtime before doing the flip, in which case, there would be NO EXCUSE for McNabb to not know, unless he has his thumb up his ### while the ref is going over everything.

Jeff Pasquino,

I'll ask again:

very :thumbup: never thought of that. This is very true. No excuse for not paying attention.

The Kolb era can't come any faster... McNabb is a bum. Maybe Rush was right

JSH21 said:
:thumbup: You're not the only one.

Users who are viewing this thread