What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mecole Hardman - The most dangerous WR nobody ever talks about..... (1 Viewer)

TapRackBang

Footballguy
Mecole Hardman 2019

MH 2020

MH 2021

I don't recall ever seeing someone faster to the corner and consistently beating the edge; and I watched EVERY Randy Moss game.
I'm not comparing him to Moss. Moss was ridiculous in every way.
However, this kid has chops. He's got very good hands (not great), has an INCREDIBLE first step and crazy speed.
He's just struggled for time share.

If only the Chiefs needed a really fast, dynamic receiver with great acceleration.

Mecole Hardman 2019

MH 2020

MH 2021

I don't recall ever seeing someone faster to the corner and consistently beating the edge; and I watched EVERY Randy Moss game.
However, this kid has chops. He's got very good hands (not great), has an INCREDIBLE first step and crazy speed.

If only the Chiefs needed a really fast, dynamic receiver with great acceleration.

from your mouth to the scoreboard of the 1 dynasty team where I roster Hardman’s ears

I'm in the would've already broken out crowd on this dude, but ya never know from one year to the next with ascending young athletes.

He's had plenty of chances to prove himself, Hill has missed time.
It's not like they hide his helmet under the bench and won't let him take the field.
Yet they continue to feed him and keep him on the roster.
Who do you think is gonna run the deep routes?

Yes, he struggled to truly learn the playbook last year. I will admit that.
BUT, if he manages to figure it out in year 4, tell me someone who could score 15+ TDs that you can get in round 12?

He's got the skills to be a major force. I agree he hasn't been yet, but he has the tools to have an incredible season.

Scantling
It's not like they hide his helmet under the bench and won't let him take the field.

BUT, if he manages to figure it out in year 4, tell me someone who could score 15+ TDs that you can get in round 12?

He's got the skills to be a major force. I agree he hasn't been yet, but he has the tools to have an incredible season.
Scantling ran a 4.37 at the combine.

15 TDS!??!! That's hard, man. ;)

I see what you did there. But yeah, 15 TD's? Plenty of HOF WR's never reached 15. Heck, Larry Fitzgerald is 2nd all time in yards, and his high was 13, yet he is 6th all time in TD's for a WR.

I appreciate all the banter. I really do. But I think this kid is special.
Maybe it's a pipe dream. But I think he has the tools to be a breakout player.

You're talking about him like he's a rookie. This is his 4th season and he hasn't done much yet, and the Chiefs who see him every day also don't think he's a stud 15 TD guy or else they wouldn't have gone out to get Juju and Skyy and MVS.

:lmao:

Players do evolve and develop all the time, showing so much improvement. It is really exciting watching a guy go from disappointment Year 1 to draft day steal Year 2 (the biggest leap for many). The olde Y2 to Y3 - formerly the classic breakout season for WR - and the rare Y3 to Y4. I never write players off, because when you do you miss these massive leaps.

I don't think Mecole is one of those guys. But it is within the range of outcomes.

That didn’t prevent Hardman from trying go routes — that was still his most commonly run route last year, and by a decent margin — but it did prevent the success he had running them. In his rookie season in 2019, for example, Hardman had six receiving touchdowns — they went for 83 yards, 63, 48, 42, 30 and 21. The distance of his longest touchdown in 2021? All of 8 yards.

Make or Break Year (Kansas City Star)

His aDOT has been going down every year. As opportunities, snaps and touches have increased from year to year, his efficiency has declined. His best season as a deep threat was in his rookie year. Since then he's struggled with getting open on his deep routes. The Chiefs and Mahomes were not nearly as good a year ago at deep ball passing as they previously had been. With Tyreek gone, it seems unlikely that will change.

Been wrong before, will be again, so anything is possible.

He struggled to learn the playbook last year? That was his third year in that system.

Hardman is a wank. He’s never embraced the idea of working hard or trying to get on the same page as Mahomes. His attitude has always been “my sheeeit don’t stink”. Yeah, he’s fast and can catch and all, but he will never do the little things to be great.

I won’t ever have him on a fantasy team again.

2008 (year 1) - 33/366/2
2009 (year 2) - 22/320/2
2010 (year 3) - 45/582/2
2011 (year 4) - 68/1263/15
The QB all 4 years was Aaron Rodgers. The WR was Jordy Nelson. The examples are gonna be extremely limited, but I did find one to help you in your uphill battle.
A Packers fan can probably confirm / deny as my memory is fuzzy but I seem to recall Nelson had primarily a problem with drops / QB trust prior to his breakout. He fixed the one, which lead to other. From my vantage point, Hardman just seems to fade into the wallpaper for chunks of games. I may be jaded though. FBG has had some head-scratching projections for this guy the past few years. I bit once but not since.

2008 (year 1) - 33/366/2
2009 (year 2) - 22/320/2
2010 (year 3) - 45/582/2
2011 (year 4) - 68/1263/15
The QB all 4 years was Aaron Rodgers. The WR was Jordy Nelson. The examples are gonna be extremely limited, but I did find one to help you in your uphill battle.
A Packers fan can probably confirm / deny as my memory is fuzzy but I seem to recall Nelson had primarily a problem with drops / QB trust prior to his breakout. He fixed the one, which lead to other. From my vantage point, Hardman just seems to fade into the wallpaper for chunks of games. I may be jaded though. FBG has had some head-scratching projections for this guy the past few years. I bit once but not since.

Rodgers inherited a deep WR corps. Greg Jennings was in his prime (big time player before he got PAID), Donald Driver had some of the most productive Age 33 Age 34 seasons on record, James Jones had one more year experience (didn't he also have a lot of drops?). Aaron locks in on his favorites, but if you're one of the "other guys" it can take a minute to get inside the circle of trust.

I see his point though.

Hardman is a wank. He’s never embraced the idea of working hard or trying to get on the same page as Mahomes. His attitude has always been “my sheeeit don’t stink”. Yeah, he’s fast and can catch and all, but he will never do the little things to be great.

Player A - 126 catches/1791 yards/12 TD's thru his first 3 seasons = 377.1 PPR FP
Player B - 151 catches/2062 yards/7 TD's thru his first 3 seasons = 399.2 PPR FP

Both of these players are wanks. One of these players is entering his 4th year. The other averaged 114 catches, 1524 yards, and 11 TD's for his next 6 seasons.

Player A - 126 catches/1791 yards/12 TD's thru his first 3 seasons = 377.1 PPR FP
Player B - 151 catches/2062 yards/7 TD's thru his first 3 seasons = 399.2 PPR FP

Both of these players are wanks. One of these players is entering his 4th year. The other averaged 114 catches, 1524 yards, and 11 TD's for his next 6 seasons.
My first thought was Rod Smith. But maybe Thielen?

Hey all. Appreciate the banter.
I get that MH isn't splitting atoms in his free time, BUT by talent alone he could be a monster; if the stars align, etc.

I have always taken a late round flyer on him; hoping he and Mahomes figure it out. They probably won't, but at some point most people do eventually grow up.

I get that MH isn't splitting atoms in his free time, BUT by talent alone he could be a monster; if the stars align, etc.

I have always taken a late round flyer on him; hoping he and Mahomes figure it out. They probably won't, but at some point most people do eventually grow up.
If nothing else, you have managed to start a long discussion on a WR who has finished WR47, WR62, and WR62 his first 3 seasons.

I could possibly see it if they hadn't gone out and signed JuJu and MVS, and then spending pretty sizable draft capital on Moore. And then you have some guy named Kelce there.

Just don't think the path to targets is there - he may have a couple of big games, so perhaps a late round pick in best ball leagues is probably the only place I'd think about him.

Thanks. Where do you rank him among your WRs?

The last 3 years I've gotten him with the last pick of the draft. He's not on anybody's radar, because, well, he hasn't really done anything.
I read some blurbs last year that he doesn't understand the nuances of the playbook. AKA Cordarrelle Patterson....great talent
BUT, if he put in the work this year and him and Mahomes are on the same page, maybe this is his year. He's worth a flyer.

Last edited by a moderator:

If nothing else, you have managed to start a long discussion on a WR who has finished WR47, WR62, and WR62 his first 3 seasons.
I love this thread. I probably would have written Hardman off but now, I think I'm going to put him on my end of draft "Why the #### not" list.

Thanks

I could possibly see it if they hadn't gone out and signed JuJu and MVS, and then spending pretty sizable draft capital on Moore. And then you have some guy named Kelce there.

Just don't think the path to targets is there - he may have a couple of big games, so perhaps a late round pick in best ball leagues is probably the only place I'd think about him.
I'm in this camp. KC's off season suggests to me they may have made up their mind on Hardman. That doesn't mean he doesn't have breakout potential but he might need to catch on with another team to realize it.

Taking 4 years to learn the playbook is special. Lots of people who have physical talent don't cut it. The great WR are perfectionists and struggling with the playbook is inconceivable.

15 TDs? I will gladly take the under on. that one. He's posted 6...4...2 his 3 seasons in the NFL but you see potential 15 TDs in 1 season.

I can't go down that path right now, nothing against your optimism, I wish you a lot of luck with that and it's not meant snarky.

Greetings Joe,

-Before I further this discussion, I have accidentally hit "report", even trying to quote you. I have managed to hit that button so many times when I am trying to hit reply to others. It must be near the same spot where reply was on the old boards. I like the new boards so far, glad you all decided to do something to continue all of this. They look good.

-Back to KC, I'm trying to figure out the Depth Chart and also who is going to catch the most balls.

Hardman is set to play the Right side WR with MVS typically on Mahomes' left side and then Ju Ju in the slot. My 1st question is where does Skyy Moore factor into this group and who can he unseat quickly? Skyy seems like a perfect slot man but they have Schuster there for the moment. Can Schuster play any other positions? I ask because I don't value MVS very high and feel like he should easily be passed on the depth chart at some point.

Are any of these WRs shoe-in types for 90+ balls? To my knowledge Ju-Ju has 2 pretty accomplished seasons out of his first 4 in Pitt. He posted 97 last year and 111 Rec /1,426 yds/8 TDs back in 2018 but that was some time ago. I doubt anyone else on the roster outside of Kelce at TE has anything like that on their resume. I would think Schuster has a big part of the offense coming his way out of the slot.

Hope life is treating you well,
Cheers!

Chalk me up to being on the fence here. At the right price, after you have your starters and a backup or two? Sure. That offense is going to move the ball and he (should) know the offense well having spent several years in the system. But yeah, Kelce... JuJu... MVS... Moore. Gonna be an uphill battle for sure, and history is not necessarily on his side. That said, I've drafted him in more than one best ball hoping to hit a home run.

Hardman has totaled 126-1791-12 through three seasons played. There were several other notable WR (other than the ones already mentioned) that had slow starts to their careers: (Numbers are for first 3 seasons played):

Tim Brown (98-1552-13 . . . missed a season due to injury so technically 4 years)
Henry Ellard (104-1701-11)
Hines Ward (124-1556-11)
Derrick Mason (447-608-3)
Michael Irvin (78-1445-12)
Keenan McCardell (24-424-4)
Joe Horn (18-293-1)
Donald Driver (37-520-3)
Wes Welker (96-1121-1)

I have my doubts if Hardman can be a top producer. He would need to get a ton more targets, and I am not sure if Mahomes really trusts him and if they work that well together. Crazier things have happened over the years.

I'm not a Chiefs fan, don't follow them all that closely... but this is the impression I've gotten from what I've read. Hardman's issue is that he doesn't do the work to improve. I believe there was talk this offseason that Mahomes and his WR's work together in the offseason, and that Hardman has declined to attend this in the past. That is such a red flag for me if true. A guy like him, who has obviously struggled with the details of being an NFL WR, needs to be working on his craft and with his QB as much as possible.

everyone wants to draft mahomes next shiny fast toy and if you have some roster spots to burn I'd grab MVS and Mecole and see who gets what. same with Juju etc.

Assuming KC can score 30+ per game having a piece of that is worth it, especially since the market is still figuring out everyone outside of Kelce at the moment.

So get your scores from a guy like me
Who knows what it's like to have a groin injury
A g-g-groin injury

Here I figured dangerous meant "to own" as I feel like he's one of those players that never seems to quite get it together. The talent is there, but he's so weekly boom/bust that as an asset on my team I don't want that volatility at the odd price I see him going for.

He reminds me of Chase Claypool in that sense. Too much up and down and now there's competition in the room too. Kelce is their WR1, let's be honest, and Juju is likely the WR2. I like Moore's upside and there's also MVS, so I struggle to see why Hardman is anything more than a speculative WR4 or WR5.

Users who are viewing this thread