What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Megyn Kelly (1 Viewer)

If you are a political pundit who has been on the national stage and have a history of inflammatory rhetoric and you don’t know how toxic blackface is in the history of this country.....you need to head down to double A ball. 
Not really denying that at all but what is wrong with at least talking about it?  She even put it in context.  I guess I am a dummy and dont see what the big deal is.   I think this is probably more of an excuse NBC can use to pull her show.  If she had the numbers I doubt this would be a big deal. 

Not really denying that at all but what is wrong with at least talking about it?  She even put it in context.  I guess I am a dummy and dont see what the big deal is.   I think this is probably more of an excuse NBC can use to pull her show.  If she had the numbers I doubt this would be a big deal. 
I think it was a one off deal maybe it blows over. But like Illegal hits in the NFL I think you have to take her history into account. Remember this is Miss “pepper spray? So that’s like a condiment?” She’s not that dumb. 

I think it was a one off deal maybe it blows over. But like Illegal hits in the NFL I think you have to take her history into account. Remember this is Miss “pepper spray? So that’s like a condiment?” She’s not that dumb. 
Thats a good point.  I concede that.  I dont watch her show and know much about her except from her fox days but I thought she wanted out of fox when all of that harassment stuff went down.  But yeah he shtick as a ditzy blond probably didnt help.

It would be interesting to see if someone like Maddow would have a panel and have a discussion about the roots of blackface etc if the company would still go apesh*t over it.  The idea that you cannot even talk about it is crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
She's not getting pulled just for the blackface thing- if anything that's just cover, or the straw that broke the camel's back. She's been a complete disaster since Day One. Remember the Alex Jones interview?  Plus I think her ratings are terrible and everyone hates her. Being a journalist is hard when you have to do more than just regurgitate GOP talking points to horny old men who don't think critically about what you're saying.

She's not getting pulled just for the blackface thing- if anything that's just cover, or the straw that broke the camel's back. She's been a complete disaster since Day One. Remember the Alex Jones interview?  Plus I think her ratings are terrible and everyone hates her. Being a journalist is hard when you have to do more than just regurgitate GOP talking points to horny old men who don't think critically about what you're saying.
I agree with all of this.

What did she say? Article only hints at it.

“But what is racist?" Kelly asked. "Because you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Back when I was a kid that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character."

“There was a controversy on The Real Housewives of New York with Luann, and she dressed as Diana Ross, and she made her skin look darker than it really is and people said that that was racist,"Kelly said. "And I don't know, I felt like who doesn't love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day. I don't know how, like, that got racist on Halloween.”

It’s also this.  She isn’t on Fox anymore, she doesn’t get to go on air and stoke the “Oh, come on, suddenly it’s racist if I....” flames.  

Yes.  Blackface is racist. And by the way, Megyn, you’re younger than I am.  It was always racist to dress in blackface. 

What she said was stupid, but I didn’t think it was that bad.  She started by saying when she was young people blacked their face if they wanted to be a character. Me, for, exmaple, I was a fly one year and used black makeup.  The she said if a white kid wanted to be Diana Ross, why not - who doesn’t love Diana Ross.  It ignores history, but it didn’t come from an evil place IMO.  Just pretty ignorant.  
No, she said when a reality star this year was Diana Ross she didn’t understand why that’s racist. 

She is looking a bit rough, as if aging extra fast the last few years, or at least that is my perception.  I never watched her often enough at any of her gigs to really be certain, but I recall her looking fresher than this.

As for blackface, that's a landmine.  It has not been pulled off successfully since Al Jolson, though C. Thomas Howell survived it.

Well, she has a point.

"Blackface" is racist. Dressing up as Diana Ross isn't.
So again I guess I am a dummy, but why the outrage?  She asked a legit question that would flow into (hopefully) productive dialogue.  She should have had a person of color there but that is a minor quip. 

So again I guess I am a dummy, but why the outrage?  She asked a legit question that would flow into (hopefully) productive dialogue.  She should have had a person of color there but that is a minor quip. 
Major networks that aren't Fox News are very tight on social issues and scandals in general. Just 5% of what flies at Fox News is a death knell elsewhere.

“I’ve never been a ‘pc’ kind of person—but I understand that we do need to be more sensitive in this day and age,” Kelly conceded. “Particularly on race and ethnicity issues which, far from being healed, have been exacerbated in our politics over the past year.” She resolved to continue the conversation, saying, “This is a time for more understanding, love, sensitivity and honor, and I want to be part of that.”
Words never spoken at Fox News.

The outrage is that in 2018, someone dressing up as a black person and putting "black" makeup on with a giant afro is racist, and every single person should understand that.  And asking "but really, what's the big deal?" is the kind of "well, I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle" bull that everyone's tired of.

No, Megyn.  Sometimes some people are just wrong, and it's okay to say that.  We don't have to give equal time to "is it really racist if I dress up in blackface?"

Well, she has a point.

"Blackface" is racist. Dressing up as Diana Ross isn't.
Dressing up as Diana Ross in blackface is definitely racist.
If you dress up as Diana Ross and decide to exaggerate her skin color and make her lips look bigger and make your eyes look whiter.....then yeah, that's "blackface" and it's racist.

If you dress up as Diana Ross and you simply put on darker makeup to make yourself look more like her....then no, it's not blackface and it's not racist.

Nah I got that I am just saying why cant people even talk about these types of things.
There's a difference between talking about and defending. 

“But what is racist?" Kelly asked. "Because you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Back when I was a kid that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character."

“There was a controversy on The Real Housewives of New York with Luann, and she dressed as Diana Ross, and she made her skin look darker than it really is and people said that that was racist,"Kelly said. "And I don't know, I felt like who doesn't love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day. I don't know how, like, that got racist on Halloween.”

Major networks that aren't Fox News are very tight on social issues and scandals in general. Just 5% of what flies at Fox News is a death knell elsewhere.
Nah I got that I am just saying why cant people even talk about these types of things.
For the most part, "people" can talk about these types of things.

But Megyn Kelly is not "people". She's a Fox News Pod Person. She lost her right to talk about race because she has a history of saying racisty things.

If you dress up as Diana Ross and decide to exaggerate her skin color and make her lips look bigger and make your eyes look whiter.....then yeah, that's "blackface" and it's racist.

If you dress up as Diana Ross and you simply put on darker makeup to make yourself look more like her....then no, it's not blackface and it's not racist.
That is, in fact, kind of the definition of blackface - darkening your skin to impersonate a black person.

I dont think its racist to dress up like Diana ross.  Does that mean I am racist?
If you don't think it's racist to dress up like Diana Ross in blackface, there's a pretty good chance you are either kind of "lower case 'r' racist" (ignorant of a subject that black people don't have the luxury of being ignorant about, but when you learn about it you'll probably change your mind) or kind of "upper case 'R' Racist" (you know all about the issues, but don't care, or don't have any interest in learning because black people shouldn't be able to steer the conversation about something just because it's horribly offensive to them or you like offending black people.)

If you don't think it's racist to dress up like Diana Ross in blackface, there's a pretty good chance you are either kind of "lower case 'r' racist" (ignorant of a subject that black people don't have the luxury of being ignorant about, but when you learn about it you'll probably change your mind) or kind of "upper case 'R' Racist" (you know all about the issues, but don't care, or don't have any interest in learning because black people shouldn't be able to steer the conversation about something just because it's horribly offensive to them or you like offending black people.)
you seem angry

That is, in fact, kind of the definition of blackface - darkening your skin to impersonate a black person.
You're misinterpreting the concept of blackface, IMO. Blackface is all about caricature. Dressing up as Diana Ross or Tiger Woods or Lebron James is not, in itself, caricature.

Trump knew something didn't he? Called her out during the election. The backlash is unwarranted IMO

oh absolutely and that was the point I am trying to make.  Everything is the not same across the board.  And I think, think that is kindof where Kelly was trying to go.

Lessee if we can reframe what she said.

"Now, dressing up on Halloween in blackface is racist. And obviously out of bounds, even in costume. And you can see why Luann caught flak for trying it. Are there ways for people to go out on Halloween and not get entangled in the issue?"

Does that come off any differently to you?

The embedded bias, and you do this on Fox News, is, "I don't understand the problem here. Everyone is just overreacting" which this has the lean of.

You're misinterpreting the concept of blackface, IMO. Blackface is all about caricature. Dressing up as Diana Ross or Tiger Woods or Lebron James is not, in itself, caricature.
You're misinformed on the issue, in my opinion.  There's a wealth of information out there, especially right now, that can be very helpful in understanding why this falls under "blackface."    

This is a reasonable start.

There's the rhetorical device and fig leaf of, "I'm just asking questions here."

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally."

Users who are viewing this thread