What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Message from President of Oklahoma Wesleyan (1 Viewer)

This is Not a Day Care. It’s a University!

Dr. Everett Piper, President

Oklahoma Wesleyan University

This past week, I actually had a student come forward after a university chapel service and complain because he felt “victimized” by a sermon on the topic of 1 Corinthians 13. It appears this young scholar felt offended because a homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love. In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable.

I’m not making this up. Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic. Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims. Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them “feel bad” about themselves, is a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”

I have a message for this young man and all others who care to listen. That feeling of discomfort you have after listening to a sermon is called a conscience. An altar call is supposed to make you feel bad. It is supposed to make you feel guilty. The goal of many a good sermon is to get you to confess your sins—not coddle you in your selfishness. The primary objective of the Church and the Christian faith is your confession, not your self-actualization.

So here’s my advice:

If you want the chaplain to tell you you’re a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you’re looking for. If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.

If you’re more interested in playing the “hater” card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don’t want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn’t one of them.

At OKWU, we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge. We want you to model interpersonal reconciliation rather than foment personal conflict. We believe the content of your character is more important than the color of your skin. We don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue “trigger warnings” before altar calls.

Oklahoma Wesleyan is not a “safe place”, but rather, a place to learn: to learn that life isn’t about you, but about others; that the bad feeling you have while listening to a sermon is called guilt; that the way to address it is to repent of everything that’s wrong with you rather than blame others for everything that’s wrong with them. This is a place where you will quickly learn that you need to grow up.

This is not a day care. This is a university.

I found this interesting.

Petty great.  I expect he'll come under fire from angry parents.  

I see hundreds of millenialls every week at work.  They are worse than everyone says.  Awful.  They suck.

I guess i just don't interact with people like this.  i'm sure its happening.  I read about it all the time.  i've just never met anyone like this.

I don't know why a kid would go to a private Christian college then complain about being convicted by a message. I went to a similar school and there were always a few kids like this. We'd always ask 'why did you go here then?'

The letter is OK but I wish he hadn't put the word "bigot" in quotation marks. Most of the time when people are called bigots in our society, it turns out upon examination that they deserve the title. In terms of fighting bigotry, racism, sexism, and xenophobia, political correctness is a good thing IMO. 

I don't know why a kid would go to a private Christian college then complain about being convicted by a message. I went to a similar school and there were always a few kids like this. We'd always ask 'why did you go here then?'
I, too, went to a similar school. Most kids who complained about how the school operated claimed that their parents made them go there (by refusing to pay for a non-Christian college experience). But I didn't know anyone who would even think of telling the President they should change their ways to accommodate them. My friends just complained amongst friends. I guess you gotta give the kid some small credit for trying.

The letter is OK but I wish he hadn't put the word "bigot" in quotation marks. Most of the time when people are called bigots in our society, it turns out upon examination that they deserve the title. In terms of fighting bigotry, racism, sexism, and xenophobia, political correctness is a good thing IMO. 
I think the bigger point, though - outside of just this small, christian school - is that there seems to be a chilling of speech and ideas on campuses across the country because that speech or idea may offend or invade the safe space of a listener. Its a scary thought. Universities should be centers for debate and students should have their assumptions and beliefs challenged. Seems like that is happening less and less. 

Petty great.  I expect he'll come under fire from angry parents.  

I see hundreds of millenialls every week at work.  They are worse than everyone says.  Awful.  They suck.
Surely we are the first generation to react to subsequent generations with disgust and condescension, right?

Surely we are the first generation to react to subsequent generations with disgust and condescension, right?
I could not agree more with the sentiment.  You can find editorials going back every generation, with the same 'these kids don't know how to work, why in my day....'routine.  

Every generation knocks the next one.  Few maintain perspective.  This is a major complaint of mine with music.  Today's music sucks, mine was better.  blah blah blah.  

What really sets millennials apart to me, is the narcissism.  And frankly, it might not be their fault.  If reality TV, Instagram and Twitter were around 20 years ago, maybe our generation would have been self-absorbed wanna-be-celebrity jagoffs.  Maybe if we had cell phones in high school we would be like this.  No matter who is to blame, this is the result.  Are there exceptions?  Yes, of course.  

Listen, I see 20-somethings posing for pictures in bars, with their friends using another cell phone flashlight to light the picture just so, and they get in their Kardashian red carpet pose, head cocked, one leg in front.....they know all the tricks!  They are posing as if there was a swarm of paparazzi furiously taking pictures of these girls standing in a bar.  The best way I can put it:  They are behaving, especially the girls, as if they are celebrities, they just have not been discovered yet.  

The guys have the same affliction, but not as bad as women.  They are on ####ing Instagram all the time.  All. The. Time.  

Yeah this is lazy TF. Of course each generation has had its unique movements, trends, collectivist leanings. Still doesn't mean we can't be aware of, and rightly praise or critique, that. 

Millennials are very conscientious. They are caring, aware, demand transparency. These are good. They are also coddled, egocentric to the extreme, and have largely turned introspective to see how they 'feel' in order to judge a thing good or bad. These are not so good. 

If you know and recognize these things you can seek to emulate the good and seek to limit the bad. 

Yeah this is lazy TF. Of course each generation has had its unique movements, trends, collectivist leanings. Still doesn't mean we can't be aware of, and rightly praise or critique, that. 

Millennials are very conscientious. They are caring, aware, demand transparency. These are good. They are also coddled, egocentric to the extreme, and have largely turned introspective to see how they 'feel' in order to judge a thing good or bad. These are not so good. 

If you know and recognize these things you can seek to emulate the good and seek to limit the bad. 
I agree.  I have no problem with your post or the letter.  I was replying only to the notion that the next generation is "awful" and "worse then everyone says" and they suck. I'm sure massraider was exaggerating with that stuff, and my reply was in a similar vein.  Just a reminder of how things things always go down. As time passes, generations grow up and as they do they tend to shed their crappier characteristics while retaining their good ones ... with the help of the older generations, of course, but still, it always happens.

There are certainly plenty of millennials that suck. But at my workplace, I'd say the millennials that come in, and we have a lot of them, come in better educated and ready to work harder than any prior generations that I've seen. These kids can't count on pensions or company loyalty like past generations and come in out of the gate looking to prove themselves. Can be annoying as hell as well, but all in all I'm impressed by this next generation.

I agree.  I have no problem with your post or the letter.  I was replying only to the notion that the next generation is "awful" and "worse then everyone says" and they suck. I'm sure massraider was exaggerating with that stuff, and my reply was in a similar vein.  Just a reminder of how things things always go down. As time passes, generations grow up and as they do they tend to shed their crappier characteristics while retaining their good ones ... with the help of the older generations, of course, but still, it always happens.
 Great post. Generations tend to get better up to retirement age, then I think we can all agree old people are the worst. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread