What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miami at New Orleans (1 Viewer)

Tannehill must learn how to dump off to the RB when 1st, 2nd read are not there.

It's called a safety valve buddy.

Rishard Matthews......that effort to break up that INT.......was bad.

Sit your ### down on the bench....he will get hell for that in the film review.

Jeez. Loser effort there.

Having not gotten to see many Mia games this year I must say I expected much more from Tannehill. I really don't get the hype. Was this just bad night? This looks like a guy who has poor pocket awareness, stares down his reads and is more opposed to checking down when in trouble than any QB I've ever seen.

Lamar Miller didn't touch the ball after the 1st play of the 2nd half. How does that happen when he was running effortlessly at 5.5+ ypc?

Lamar Miller didn't touch the ball after the 1st play of the 2nd half. How does that happen when he was running effortlessly at 5.5+ ypc?
Makes no sense.

eta* Not impressed with the Miami coaching tonight. At all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said at the half, Mia had a real chance to win if they don't get cute. They got cute and took it on the chin for doing so. Unacceptable coaching IMO.

Ministry of Pain said:
T with T said:
Ministry of Pain said:
jurb26 said:
Ministry of Pain said:
jurb26 said:
Why isn't Mia running the ball, at all?
Down 25 it's tough to stick to the ground game my friend.
There enough time to run still. It's better than going backwards and 3 n out, no?
They lost when they failed on 3rd and short on the 1st drive and pitched it wide. Then they had a chance to get back in it down14-10, THill turns it over and we get a 10-14 point swing, Miami never recovered and let it get out of hand quick. HC, OC/DC, they all look like fools tonight.
It wouldn't have mattered NO is clearly the better team and could have shredded these guys without the few plays in the first half goin wrong for Miami.
Except it did and you seem like a malcontent tonight towards the Phins. They have played solid the 1st 3 weeks, yes NO got it rolling tonight, would like to see the same teams in Miami under a 92 degree/98% humidity afternoon but yeah the Saints killed them tonight. The better team won but Miami is not garbage, it just wasn't their night and they had opp but did not cash in like scoring a TD on 1st drive, chance to go up 17-14, turns into 21-10, you can say those plays don't matter but anyone watching the game would say those were two pretty critical moments.
If there is one thing a team that practices outdoors in Metairie in August can't handle, it's humidity.

Having not gotten to see many Mia games this year I must say I expected much more from Tannehill. I really don't get the hype. Was this just bad night? This looks like a guy who has poor pocket awareness, stares down his reads and is more opposed to checking down when in trouble than any QB I've ever seen.
Those were his negatives last year. His accuracy on long-distance passing improved this year. He's still a work in progress who has not played many games at QB, so he might get better. Mike Wallace is not helping much. Newcomer Brandon Gibson has better chemistry with Tannehill.

I agree that Tannehill didn't look good tonight, but I think he was let down by both Hartline and Wallace tonight. Both quit on slant routes that led to INTs. As a QB, you're throwing to a spot on those routes, it's up to the WR to get there. Didn't think the coaches helped much in the 2nd half either. Throwing the ball virtually every down with a leaky oline can't make a QB too confident....

I really wish football was still on so I didn't have to listen to Scott Van Pelt bro out by saying "cham-pag-na" over and over.

Just stupid.

Football keeps one humble. :football:

Staring down 1st read and not going through progressions has been his issue since entering the league. His career upside is Jay Cutler IMO -- and unless he learns how to go through his progressions, he doesn't make that. I think consistency, like Cutler, will always be the issue with him. There's a few other Tannehill threads that I've previously already posted in. Other than being a superstar in shorts, I've yet to see much on field that makes me think he can lead a team to the Super Bowl/contender.

But he's the best Dolphin QB since Marino. So I guess that's all that matters....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to imagine the Saints going far n the playoffs with Ryan calling the defense
I'm LOL at this one. Ryan is killing it for the Saints. Exceptional turnaround of our defense. These guys were the worst defense in history last year. same players for the most part. Spags was really that bad a fit I guess.

Staring down 1st read and not going through progressions has been his issue since entering the league. His career upside is Jay Cutler IMO -- and unless he learns how to go through his progressions, he doesn't make that. I think consistency, like Cutler, will always be the issue with him. There's a few other Tannehill threads that I've previously already posted in. Other than being a superstar in shorts, I've yet to see much on field that makes me think he can lead a team to the Super Bowl/contender.

But he's the best Dolphin QB since Marino. So I guess that's all that matters....
IMO it's way premature to be talking about career upside for Tannehill. I most definitely was not impressed with him tonight. However, I am willing to grant him a mulligan based on how terribly his WRs played tonight. Wallace dropped a bomb that was perfectly placed in his mitts, then cut off a slant route that led to an INT. Hartline also cut off a slant route that les to an INT. Add in some shaky oline play and a pass only mindset in the 2nd half, and I think you can see why a QB doesn't look great out there.

IMO it's way premature to be talking about career upside for Tannehill. I most definitely was not impressed with him tonight. However, I am willing to grant him a mulligan based on how terribly his WRs played tonight. Wallace dropped a bomb that was perfectly placed in his mitts, then cut off a slant route that led to an INT. Hartline also cut off a slant route that les to an INT. Add in some shaky oline play and a pass only mindset in the 2nd half, and I think you can see why a QB doesn't look great out there.
I can appreciate both KT and Craig's post. I understand where both of you coming from. Good stuff. Tonight's game really was a big step back.

First time I really caught Tannehill in action for a full game, and while he had a bad night, he has a nice arm and snap to his throws. Plus he has some wheels too. Not a bad young QB with what looks to have upside.

I can't blame Hartline for the pick on his slant. He had no chance to get in front of that ball. The DB saw it the whole time and broke on it before Hartline did. He was beat to the spot because it was the only route Mia had Hartline run all game. The CB gambled and won. Just poor play calling IMO. Tannehill can't stare him down that much though and be robotic. When the CB is off, which he was in that case, it's common knowledge that they are reading your drop 90% of the time. On a slant pattern he needs to see the LB mainly and then the CB with peripheral vision. The CB being off makes the angle of that easy actually. The CB saw it was a quick drop and broke on the slant as it's the only pass they threw to Hartline all game. Checkmate. I agree Wallace looked bad. His drop on the long ball was brutal. He was hesitant in his routes and never came back to the ball on hitches and curl routes. Overall a bad night for him.

I had already logged of last night when Tanne threw that fourth quarter pick trying to hit Wallace coming over the middle. On replay, it was pretty clear that Wallace sat in an open area of the zone while Tannehill expected him to keep crossing. Had Wallace kept going, he would have been blown up by the guy who got the pick...that one's probably on Tannehill.

There was a first half pass on a similar pattern where Wallace was crossing and Tannehill threw it BEHIND Wallace...as if he expected him to sit down. Difference is...there was not a crashing DB to blow the play up.

I think that in both cases...it was Tannehill at fault, not reading the defense properly. But I also think that he's a very young/inexperienced QB and stuff like this will get cleaned up. These two will get it together and have better days.

Users who are viewing this thread