What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mid-size Car Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Johnny Bing

Footballguy
I know there have been a couple threads on this but I don’t see one recently.  Looking at trading in my 2015 Silverado for a mid size.  Recently moved to larger city and the garages are so small to fit the SUV and my truck.  Also don’t have a big need for 4 wheel drive anymore as we moved warmer weather, and it isn't practical to have that vehicle.  I work from home, therefore it’s just a vehicle for me to drive when I need to get out of the house.  Typically take the SUV if the family is going somewhere. 

Budget is in that $20K +/- couple thousand.  Don’t want to be over 50K miles.  We do have two small children, so I’ll have car seats in the back on the rare time we'd take my car somewhere.  I’d prefer something a little sporty so I don’t feel like a soccer dad rolling around in my Honda or Hyundai.  

Test drove a 2017 Maxima today and a 2015 Infiniti Q50 and just didn’t fall in love with it.  Used to a roomy crew cab, so it might just be something I need to get over.  Seems like I can get a newer 2017 Maxima in that range and the Q50 is little older.  Looked at a 3 series BMW but worried if I ever need a sensor it is going to cost me $2K.

Prefer to go a used route and just pay it off, but some of the new cars are very close to the same price. Appreciate any help or recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
My folks leased a bunch of Maximas over the years for my mother, and she loved them. They bought one a couple years ago with the idea of keeping it for a long time. It's a great car, I don't understand why Nissan stopped making them.

We are in the beginning process of looking for a mid-size also. My oldest will be getting his license in the spring, and my wife will hand him down the Mini Van (he isn't thrilled with the idea!) and she wants to get something better for her long commute. We need something with a larger cabin because we need to have something that we can carry all 5 of us if there is ever an issue with the van. So I'm interested in hearing what people have to say!!

My folks leased a bunch of Maximas over the years for my mother, and she loved them. They bought one a couple years ago with the idea of keeping it for a long time. It's a great car, I don't understand why Nissan stopped making them.

We are in the beginning process of looking for a mid-size also. My oldest will be getting his license in the spring, and my wife will hand him down the Mini Van (he isn't thrilled with the idea!) and she wants to get something better for her long commute. We need something with a larger cabin because we need to have something that we can carry all 5 of us if there is ever an issue with the van. So I'm interested in hearing what people have to say!!
It looks like they stopped in 2015 for some reason, but there are 2018 on the lots and images of the 2019 model.  

So you're ruling out Honda and Hyundai?

Maybe a Toyota Camry or a Toyota Avalon? You should be able find nice used ones under $20k with under 50k miles.

Something like this is nice:

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/4T1BD1EB7FU043812/2015-toyota-avalon/
I'd probably bring the Honda Accord into the consideration.  I had one back in the day and they were a decent overall ride.  It was an EX-L so the V6 package. 

The Camry/Avalon is on the list to go test drive this week likely.  I know the Camry and Accord are the most popular mid-size sedans. 

I'd probably bring the Honda Accord into the consideration.  I had one back in the day and they were a decent overall ride.  It was an EX-L so the V6 package. 

The Camry/Avalon is on the list to go test drive this week likely.  I know the Camry and Accord are the most popular mid-size sedans. 
Very popular with thieves.   :thumbup:

Sedans are dead unless they have a Tesla logo on the front.  Look for a small to midsize crossover - should hold resale value better. RAV4 is outselling Camry now. 

It looks like they stopped in 2015 for some reason, but there are 2018 on the lots and images of the 2019 model.  
Glad they brought them back. It was a great car.

Sedans are dead unless they have a Tesla logo on the front.  Look for a small to midsize crossover - should hold resale value better. RAV4 is outselling Camry now. 
Poor resell value is great news for OP since he's looking to buy in the used car market, especially if he's planning to drive it until it dies. I bought a Lexus sedan with 60k last summer for $11,500.  If things work out as expected, I won't have a car payment for at least the next 10 years.

To @Johnny Bing, if you are looking for a sporty mid-sized sedan, generally the Maxima is considered right in that wheelhouse.  Perhaps take a look at the Acruas.  I had one for a long time and loved it. Cadillac is also worth checking out and the Genesis is reportedly a great sedan as well. GL

I'm right in the middle of buying something just like you are saying, but a bit less $$ (so I'm going older/more miles).

The car I have chosen is the Volkswagen CC.  They have great features without breaking the bank and look much better than the Passat.

I'm right in the middle of buying something just like you are saying, but a bit less $$ (so I'm going older/more miles).

The car I have chosen is the Volkswagen CC.  They have great features without breaking the bank and look much better than the Passat.
CC is a great car, but it's more on the large size sedan than mid size.

Johnny Bing said:

I considered the 2018 models for both plus the 2018 Mazda6. I went with the Accord 1.5L Sport and bought one at invoice on 9/30 cuz it was end of month, quarter and a weekend. The dealer didn't fight me on the price.

I've got a 2016 Malibu Premier.  I like it, nice smooth quiet ride. Looking at TrueCar.com, I see a bunch of Premier's (fully loaded Malibu's) with 20k-30k miles for $18k-$20k. 

2013 Lexus GS350.  Why?  Why not? :)   I see them near me for about that money and less than 50k miles on them.  They're AWD and it's a Lexus, yeah it's 5 years old but it's essentially a Toyota under all that plus you can take that thing to any Toyota dealership and pay Toyota service fees instead of Lexus fees.  

FWIW, I have a 2008 Accord EX-L.  I bought this for my wife (10 years ago) b/c I was tired of Toyota's, I thought they were boring.  Turns out Honda's are boring too, not quite as reliable and my local Honda dealership is all but worthless so I end up taking it to my local Acura dealership for service.  I've had the alternator fail and right now it needs lower ball joints and there's something wrong with the dual climate control (driver side works, the passenger side you have to fiddle with to make it work which is annoying.)

Just my 2 cents.

Check out the Kia Optima. Tons of extras thrown in and reliability is very good, too.
I was originally looking into Optima's, but found the older models less desirable and the newer models too expensive.  With a bigger budget, this is likely the car I would have chosen.

Jayrod said:
I was originally looking into Optima's, but found the older models less desirable and the newer models too expensive.  With a bigger budget, this is likely the car I would have chosen.
Don't go by MSRP, you can easily negotiate significant savings.

When I bought mine in 2016, it was the highest amount under MSRP of any vehicle that I have ever purchased.

Love my 2016 impala.  Might be a little bigger than "midsize" but its comparable to an Avalon and can be found with less miles for less money.  Smooth ride. Quiet. Roomy. Plenty of power (v6). Got it last year with 27000 miles for about 17k.

how about a zesty little kia sorrento you will be the envy of people who always wanted a sorrento and hey because south korea could be in a nuke war at literally any given moment they build cars to survive the apocolypse so why not hunker down in  a humdinger of car that will still be running and under warranty when only rats and la coocarachas are left take that to the bank brohan 

You can get a Volvo S60 T5 with less than 30k miles on it for around $20k.  240 hp so it's probably fun to drive and Volvo is generally considered to be well made cars.  Something like this: https://www.carmax.com/car/16649580

Any thoughts between a 2017 Maxima 3.5 SV or a 2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0T Prem?  I know they are the same manufacturer, but as far as go goes spec to spec any preference? 

I do like the 300hp both of these offer when I test drove them.  I think I need to get used to little tighter fit than the truck.  

Poor resell value is great news for OP since he's looking to buy in the used car market, especially if he's planning to drive it until it dies. I bought a Lexus sedan with 60k last summer for $11,500.  If things work out as expected, I won't have a car payment for at least the next 10 years.
Wow!!

Agree with used/certified Camry/Avalon. Although Kia/Hyundai great value, my experience is they have rather loud road noise.

if you want zesty you gots to deal with some road noise its the price you pay for dancing with sweet lady sorrento take that to the bank brohan

Mazda 6 or a VW Passat
I thought for sure I'd be buying a Camry next but the Mazda 6 is getting serious consideration.

CC stands for "Comfort Compact" and it is only 1" longer and 1.4" wider than the Passat.
My wife says that matters.

I'd seriously consider that, but it seems even routine maintenance is expensive on the lexus.

Any thoughts between a 2017 Maxima 3.5 SV or a 2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0T Prem?  I know they are the same manufacturer, but as far as go goes spec to spec any preference? 

I do like the 300hp both of these offer when I test drove them.  I think I need to get used to little tighter fit than the truck.  
Nissan is generally considered one of the worst car manufacturers in the world in terms of reliability.

Finally picked up my 2013 CC and drove it to work for the first time today.  I feel like I'm in a high-end luxury car, but my last vehicle was a 2000 Ford-F150 with no A/C, so pretty much anything would have been a major upgrade.

Anyone drive a Cadillac? Looking at some ATS models that are around $15k and 5 or so years old. 

Tuesday night, totalled out my '09 Acura TL that I just bought in April. :(

Andy Dufresne said:
Anyone drive a Cadillac? Looking at some ATS models that are around $15k and 5 or so years old. 

Tuesday night, totalled out my '09 Acura TL that I just bought in April. :(
Glad you're OK GB

Lexus ES.  It's basically a Camry so it will last a long time.  They changed the body style on the Camry in 2017 so anything earlier looks old.  The 2015-16 Lexus doesn't look as outdated.  Great time to sell a truck btw.

My last car was a used 2014 BMW 328i.  22k miles for about $28k, but it came with an additional 2/50 warranty that makes the original warranty 6/100.  also, full maintenance based on original in service date.

Glad you're OK GB
Thanks, it wasn't a terrible accident but could have been.

7:00 at night, in darkness, dude was walking down the onramp (with no shoulder) towards his stalled car at the bottom. Car in front of me swerved to miss him but didn't get completely into the next lane, boxing me into the onramp....Where there was another car stopped behind the stalled car. Boom. No-win situation for me.

Just glad nobody was terribly hurt - especially the guy walking because he could have easily been hit and killed.

Users who are viewing this thread