What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

I know Im biased, as I regard Damon Albarn the best artist of the last 30 years, but this Blur/Gorillaz stuff is so good. If we do this again, I’m gonna do my 31 with leftivers. There is no way that Eephus and I have the same thoights. I have about 40 right now that he could cram into 23 slots and id be pissed that the other 17 didnt make it. He no doubt has more surprises up his sleeve like Hong Kong.
I would never have that in my top 50, but damn its good.

I dont think we have anything off Parklife yet and I would have at least 8 in my top 31. Then again most of the Gorillaz first three albums are chock full of great stuff. Looks like John Maddens Secret Alias may have to make an appearanc. One for Gorillaz, One for Blur. Thats not including the other great stuff lol.

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 8: Carlos is Crying

"Man, we used to glide, we used to hang like the smoke
We'd show off for my sister, we didn't mind being broke
Now every conversation I have is about money
And I leave home in the morning but then I just keep driving
Kill off the day until you guys stop working
Then pitchers at Skippers"
Now Carlos is crying

Album: The Price of Progress (1 of 2)

Year: 2023

# of Times Seen Live: 1 of 3 shows (only counting shows since album was released)

The Story: Sticking with the more recent stuff… At the London shows in March, it was great to have a chance to hear the new songs live right around the time that The Price of Progress was released. Carlos is Crying immediately became a standout for me as, once again, I felt like I identified with the narrator (not Carlos). Craig introduced the song like so:

Skippers is a stand alone independent bar, down by the river, the place you go for pitchers of beer after your softball game.* Carlos is just driving around all day instead of going to work and keeping it a secret from everyone. It’s really rough to him - his anxiety must be building immensely. But also seems believable. In this song, it finally spills over for him.

It’s like a grown-up/middle class version of the early Hold Steady stuff, and I’m guessing most of us have had that one friend who gets all weepy and nostalgic when they drink too much.

* For years, I played in a summer softball league with my wife's law firm in Philly and would hit a bar like Skippers after our games. If you think Philadelphians tend to be d-bags and that big-firm attorneys are typically a-holes, imagine being in a relatively competitive sports league with a couple hundred of the jockiest among them. I think the only people I actually liked on my own team were another non-attorney husband, a guy from the mail room, and the process server (who always had the best stories).

Last edited:
24. (I've Been) Searchin' So Long
Album: Chicago VII (1974)
Writer: James Pankow
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera
Released as a single? Yes (US #9)

This one is a slow burn. Keep telling yourself: "wait for it ... wait for it ... wait for it." Like Wishing You Were Here from the same album, this ballad is clearly influenced by the Beach Boys, and Cash Box compared it to Yes (it's definitely not prog, though). I can also see a scenario where the Bee Gees record it. Lushly arranged with strings (arranged by composer Jimmie Haskell), horns and electric piano, the song gracefully glides along for three minutes and then kicks things up a notch. The real good stuff begins at 3:15, where the tempo picks up and the vocals gain soul and urgency, with Peter Cetera deploying his "gritty Paul McCartney" voice at times. At 4:00 we get the triumphant Terry Kath guitar solo, but it's brief and not mixed any higher than the horns and strings. This is music that makes you feel.
The lyrics were designed that way as well. James Pankow: "'(I've Been) Searchin' So Long' was a song about finding myself. I was starting to figure out what I was put on this earth for. I don't think anybody in the band had written a song about the quest to meet that person inside and find out what he was all about, what his ideals were. I just had to talk about who I was and what I was feeling at the time. I felt after it was recorded that maybe other people could relate to that, 'cause the '70s was a time for soul-searching, it was a time for discovery, and I think that song was probably indicative of what a lot of young people were feeling at that time."'
… Searching (don't you know I'm)
For an answer
To the question
Oh yeah
"Who am I?"
Maybe (maybe it's true)
It's only natural (it's only natural baby, yeah)
Good things
In life
Take a long time (yeah yeah)

While some ballads don't translate well to the stage, this one always has because of its dynamics and how its ending can serve as a launching point into something else, often the salsa instrumental Mongonucleosis that follows it on Chicago VII. In fact, that pair is appearing in the band's setlists this year.
Live version from 1977 by itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIESk4Dwrng
Live version from 1977 with Mongonucleosis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awmhz7SqsTY
Leonid and Friends version (with orchestra): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEDatFQ3m98

At #23: I'm inconsistent with how I handle the multi-part suites, so in this case, while the entire suite doesn't hold together well enough to be included in total, two consecutive sections from it are powerful enough to land in my top 31.
This record is great.

It's funny how the brain works. In my mind this song is the second part of a suite that begins with "Wishing You Were Here". I can't recall how the two were ordered on the LP, even though I owned it. But, in my mind, the two will always be linked. Just gorgeous pieces of music.
(I've Been) Searchin' So Long is the first song on side 3. Wishing You Were Here is the first song on side 4.

#24s (less randomness, more directed spotlight. For now. We’ll see how THIS goes):

N.Y. - Doves. Another list, another time The Doves are grabbing my attention. Maybe it helped to be the first via random. It gets a little trippy/experimental towards the middle, but regardless, I really enjoyed the vibe and flow on this.

Pictures of an Only Child - Trail of Dead. This song has familiar (dare I say Radiohead-like?) tones. Love the piano on this, and the overall haunting feel.

Carlos is Crying - The Hold Steady. The guitar grabbed me early, but I liked it throughout. The vocal presentation is reminiscent of bands like Cake and The Butthole Surfers, and I’m here for it.

Landslide - AC/DC. This one almost gets put in the “dig the vibe” category as (to me) a lot of the lyrics get swallowed by the instruments. Some of the structure follows the SOP for the band, but it works for me here.

I’ve Got a Woman - Ray Charles. Certainly a song I’ve heard and enjoyed before (in full or sampled). Admittedly not one I think of being (co-)written by Ray, though.

Bebe Le Strange - Heart. Hmm, was this 70s? Ah, nope, early 1980. Close enough. Definitely has that hard-rocking vibe of some of the more impactful bands of the time. Rock on!

Save the Life of My Child - Simon & Garfunkel. Emphasis on the “funk” part of the name for this one. This song is very different from what I’d expect from S&G, and was a wild ride because of that. Including sampling… well, themselves!

Also considered, among others, the songs from Phish, Big Thief, and The Decemberists

I don't have the most sophisticated ear, but round 24 is a whirlwind. Taylor Swift sounded like Big Thief. Big Thief sounded like Sigur Ros. Sigur Ros sounded like gibberish (although this one has been the best one from them IMO, sorry haven't been a fan of this group thus far). Slade sounded like AC/DC. Deadmau5 sounded like Daft Punk.

2nd winner in a row for Brandi Carlile for me. Wasn't jiving with her early on, but now looking forward to more.
Don't Carry it All is my favorite Decemberists entry thus far.
Learn to Fly my favorite Foo Fighters thus far.
Halfway to the Moon my favorite Phish tune thus far.

A couple more solid entries from new to me artists Ryan Adams, Elliott Smith and Tragically Hip...We are only 8 songs in and I know these artists will become part of my regular listening rotation when this is all over.

I really liked the The Knife. I am sure I've heard it before, but really didn't remember it much. I am much more familiar with later Genesis stuff. Glad this was put on the countdown.

Frank and Jesse James from Warren Zevon once again reminds me of how good he is. I can't wait to make a full playlist of just Warren Zevon's stuff to add to my library.

Biggest surprise of the round - Stevie's cover of Blowin' in the Wind. Never heard this before from him. Excellent. Who is singing with him on that?

Sigur Ros sounded like gibberish (although this one has been the best one from them IMO, sorry haven't been a fan of this group thus far).

May I ask what specifically you don't like? Not trying to question you or anything. I just like to get honest feedback , good or bad, when I introduce people to the band. Most of the negative feedback I get is the vocals are a little too falsetto or the songs take too long to develop.

On a separate note. I need to get back into listening to the Foo Fighters. Just an all around near perfect rock and roll band.

I've noticed a lot of the Queen songs selected so far have come from their last two albums, The Miracle and Innuendo. Wondering if @snellman is just more into this period than the classic Queen catalogue or if we're just getting these songs out of the way before getting to the real "meat".

Either way, they're been a nice addition to the mix and as I've said previously, I'm glad some classic rock artists are mixed in with some of the newer acts.
I am younger by Queen standards - 51, so the later albums had a lot more influence on my than the earlier albums. There are plenty of good songs on the earlier albums than are "not well known" but I am a little more partial to the later work.

Same ... and there a few 80s Queen tracks I am specifically waiting on.

Like most bands with longevity, Queen's sound definitely changed over time -- but they maintained their musicianship and overall quality.

No love for my last Clutch pick so not expecting any for this one as they sound very similar. In hindsight I probably should've cut 1 of them for something off their self titled album

The lyrics of Good Time Gal are pretty damn weird. But cowbell!

That Frank Black song is pretty dark.

Another "love the music, hate the shouty vocals" from Clutch.

Landslide and Bebe Le Strange are barnburners.

Carlos is Crying is an extremely compelling story.

Loved the dynamics of the Doves song -- seemed a little proggier than their other stuff.

I like the way the bass drives the Spoon song.

Save the Life of My Child is chaotic and dramatic -- very different from the eggheadedness we sometimes get from S&G.

I like the way Mellow builds and can see why it would be a live favorite.

Biggest surprise of the round - Stevie's cover of Blowin' in the Wind. Never heard this before from him. Excellent. Who is singing with him on that?
I have no idea who the other guy is. I'm way too lazy to do the research. It sounds a little like Johnny Bristol to me, but it could have been some anonymous background singer. Motown did that a lot. So did Stevie later on with one of his biggest hits when he had autonomy over his records.

I have no idea who the other guy is. I'm way too lazy to do the research. It sounds a little like Johnny Bristol to me, but it could have been some anonymous background singer. Motown did that a lot. So did Stevie later on with one of his biggest hits when he had autonomy over his records.
Wikipedia says:

No love for my last Clutch pick so not expecting any for this one as they sound very similar. In hindsight I probably should've cut 1 of them for something off their self titled album
I’m enjoying the Clutch songs so far. Totally new to me and such a broad range of styles. Really interesting group to me so far.

The intro piqued my interest in Juggernaut, but when the singing started it wasn't my thing. I've liked some Clutch songs in the countdown.

Last edited:
The intro peaked my interest in Juggernaut, but when the singing started it wasn't my thing. I've liked some Clutch songs in the countdown.
I tend to agree with those that dig the music but get turned off a bit by the vocals. I liked his voice on the more bluesy numbers but when he tries to to “heavy”, it’s tougher for me to listen to.
Definitely a talented band and I’m sure they’re great live.

Sigur Ros sounded like gibberish (although this one has been the best one from them IMO, sorry haven't been a fan of this group thus far).

May I ask what specifically you don't like? Not trying to question you or anything. I just like to get honest feedback , good or bad, when I introduce people to the band. Most of the negative feedback I get is the vocals are a little too falsetto or the songs take too long to develop.

On a separate note. I need to get back into listening to the Foo Fighters. Just an all around near perfect rock and roll band.
I went back and re-listened to some and I was mistaken. The one you submitted at #30 has been my favorite so far.

I don't wish to fill the thread with negativity or take away from other's experience, but since you asked, I will elaborate a little. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the vocals. I am not a huge fan of that high/falsetto sound. In fact, it wasn't nearly as prominent in #30 as some of the others...perhaps why I liked it better. I do not mind the technique as a highlight integrated into a piece, but when it is the only show in town it grows weary on me after a bit. I think the falsetto combined with the lyrics being in a foreign language, or non linguistic, takes away some of the pleasure for me. It is essentially impossible for me to follow any sort of story or interpret any sort of metaphoric deeper meaning. Is there value in the vocal quality itself? Sure. The voice can be a beautiful instrument. But the combination here just isn't resonating for me. I am having a hard time connecting to the Jorge Ben Jor content for this reason as well. However, I find the Jorge Ben Jor material more pleasing to the ear musically. When listening to music, I love a cool guitar riff, bass line, rhythmic percussion, a jazzy horn...something that establishes a hook. I am not finding much of any hook in many of the Sigur Ros songs thus far. #29 Haffsol and #26 Svo hljott seem like a "smear" of sound to me...almost synthetic. They sound like ethereal soundscapes that might play in the background of a spa. While I am sure many will find that soothing, I keep looking for something to tap my foot to or bob my head.

I'll keep listening through the countdown and try to give them a fair shake. We have a lot more music to go. Maybe something will catch my attention and grow on me.

. They sound like ethereal soundscapes that might play in the background of a spa. While I am sure many will find that soothing, I keep looking for something to tap my foot to or bob my head.
I’ve been enjoying Sigur Ros much more than you, but obviously most of what you’ve mentioned could be off putting to some/many. I’m big with lyrics as well, but the fact they have such a soothing ethereal quality, the voice as another instrument works for me here.
I doubt they’d ever be in heavy rotation for me, but as I’ve said a time or two before, I look forward to their playlist at the end.

I went back and re-listened to some and I was mistaken. The one you submitted at #30 has been my favorite so far.

I don't wish to fill the thread with negativity or take away from other's experience, but since you asked, I will elaborate a little. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the vocals. I am not a huge fan of that high/falsetto sound. In fact, it wasn't nearly as prominent in #30 as some of the others...perhaps why I liked it better. I do not mind the technique as a highlight integrated into a piece, but when it is the only show in town it grows weary on me after a bit. I think the falsetto combined with the lyrics being in a foreign language, or non linguistic, takes away some of the pleasure for me. It is essentially impossible for me to follow any sort of story or interpret any sort of metaphoric deeper meaning. Is there value in the vocal quality itself? Sure. The voice can be a beautiful instrument. But the combination here just isn't resonating for me. I am having a hard time connecting to the Jorge Ben Jor content for this reason as well. However, I find the Jorge Ben Jor material more pleasing to the ear musically. When listening to music, I love a cool guitar riff, bass line, rhythmic percussion, a jazzy horn...something that establishes a hook. I am not finding much of any hook in many of the Sigur Ros songs thus far. #29 Haffsol and #26 Svo hljott seem like a "smear" of sound to me...almost synthetic. They sound like ethereal soundscapes that might play in the background of a spa. While I am sure many will find that soothing, I keep looking for something to tap my foot to or bob my head.

I'll keep listening through the countdown and try to give them a fair shake. We have a lot more music to go. Maybe something will catch my attention and grow on me.

Thanks. I think you might like the top half of the countdown better. I'm with you on liking hooks. The Sigur Ros songs that include those are among the first ones I was drawn to and remain my favorite. In fact, #30 that you mention is definitely in my top 10-15, but I placed it there at the beginning to try and be a better hook for newcomers. It wasn't until I really got into them that I ended up liking the more ethereal, non-structured stuff as well. Most of these are towards the end of the list, what you're hearing now for the most part. For these, I'm going to try and do a better job identifying which parts of the song hooked me in. Whoever said upthread that if you're not feeling a song, skip to two minutes, then 5 minutes to see if that's still the case absolutely applies to Sigur Ros too.

I'm getting to the point where I can predict which songs will generate a lot of likes and which won't. #23 may be... a challenge. haha.

. They sound like ethereal soundscapes that might play in the background of a spa. While I am sure many will find that soothing, I keep looking for something to tap my foot to or bob my head.
I’ve been enjoying Sigur Ros much more than you, but obviously most of what you’ve mentioned could be off putting to some/many. I’m big with lyrics as well, but the fact they have such a soothing ethereal quality, the voice as another instrument works for me here.
I doubt they’d ever be in heavy rotation for me, but as I’ve said a time or two before, I look forward to their playlist at the end.
Lyrics for me depend on mood. Sometimes I’m down for something that want to spend time focusing on the lyrics and think about some deeper meaning. I do a lot of my music listening while either working or reading, and music becomes more the background noise (that sweet spot between wanting to give it some attention, but not too much attention that it distracts me from my task).

Classical music my usual go-to for that, but foreign (or non-) language stuff can frequently be something a bit new and different than maybe some old standbys that already know the lyrics to by heart such that don’t focus on them. My Jorge Ben songs here a bit more up tempo than usual concentration music, but still can put me in a good groove.

Lyrics for me depend on mood. Sometimes I’m down for something that want to spend time focusing on the lyrics and think about some deeper meaning. I do a lot of my music listening while either working or reading, and music becomes more the background noise (that sweet spot between wanting to give it some attention, but not too much attention that it distracts me from my task).

Classical music my usual go-to for that, but foreign (or non-) language stuff can frequently be something a bit new and different than maybe some old standbys that already know the lyrics to by heart such that don’t focus on them. My Jorge Ben songs here a bit more up tempo than usual concentration music, but still can put me in a good groove.

Yes is perfect for that - back in the day the double Yessongs was my "go to" for that kind of stuff

you could throw Genesis in that category too ...

The intro peaked my interest in Juggernaut, but when the singing started it wasn't my thing. I've liked some Clutch songs in the countdown.
I tend to agree with those that dig the music but get turned off a bit by the vocals. I liked his voice on the more bluesy numbers but when he tries to to “heavy”, it’s tougher for me to listen to.
There are only 3 songs left with this style of vocals so hopefully I/they can pull you back in. And I know where you're coming from, I have the same problem with Phish and The Hold Steady- really like most of the music but not the vocalists. Today's Phish was by far my fav due to having a different lead singer

TIME TO CHIME ...

Of Lilies and Remains/Departure

"but otb, they're kinda the same 'song', what gives putting them in sequence"?

very astute - if not painfully obvious - observation, dear reader.

Bauhouac? Kerouhaus?

these two needed to be slotted back to back - and belly to belly - in an exercise such as this, where the great majority are not the least bit familiar with the catalog.

to be more user friendly, would kinda be akin to a poster including "You Know My Name, Look Up The Number" and "Revolution #9" in their Beatles top 31, to showcase their more experimental and avant garde/absurdist side ... though, to be fair here, those 2 are a snippet outta 200+ tunes, whereas the 'haus culled maybe 1/5th of that output ... so, to me, the Bauhaus oddities are more reflective of the specific studio moods and vibes that were swirling about the group at those particular times of recording.

the Kerouac stream of consciousness sitch i cited may not resonate at all here with some of y'all, and that's Archie with me, 'cuz i see it in spades - (these were staples of mine when i were indulging the party powder) - toss in a heaping helping of Mr. Poe, and a certain artifice that matches Charlie McKenzie at the finger snapping coffee house (excuse me, but i believe i ordered the large cappuccino), and WALA!

suffice to say that these two are not widely considered jewels of the oeuvre, though "Lilies" remained a live staple, largely due to it's more conventional construct, whereas "Departure" is just and unhinged kowtow to their whimsy.

during the sessions for their last proper release in '83 (i do not recognize the '08 album), Murphy were sidelined with pneumonia, and were still struggling with his grandiosity ... and the smack. when he returned to the studio he were quite taken aback that the Haskin bros and Ash had already laid down a ton of the work sans his presence ... one of the reasons why i think he camped it up on "Departure" like the Lydon/Bowie hybrid on 'roids he were ... interestingly enough, the song title and the album it came off of ("Burning From the Inside") hint at the deterioration of the outfit, proper ... and it proved to be prophetic, as it would take 15 years for them to reunite for a comeback tour, and 25 yrs before hitting the studio again.

the seeds of Tones on Tail and Love and Rockets are really taking sprout, and bassist David J was proving to be a major force ... and he has been the star of the seven i've rolled out thus far.

in putting this together i was not looking to just creep the obvious, though, with their abbreviated work, it's kinda impossible - but i do consider this an honest 31 song dissection of this band as per my 40 year immersion ... it will be as indulgent and bombastic and free of f**** to give, much like the career the lads laid on us.

we've had: embracing of the absurd with "Party of the First Part"/foray into space and dub with "Paranoia, Paranoia"/a lushly arranged Murphy lament in "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything"/a legit post-punk floor riot in "Dancing"/a nod to the Hammer-esque, Victorian horror ambience with "The Three Shadows Part I"/the sci-fi with a toe tag vibe of "Mask" ... and now the two free form excursions - lots to dive in to with this lot, the lads had no fear of worming out they pigeonhole any COTdamn way they saw fit - this i love.

btw, i saw @simey likened "Lilies" to a B-52s kinda feel ... it were a direct homage to Cale & the Velvets, who they were huge devotees of (surprise!), but, thru power of suggestion, i think i see her point - i woulda never made that connection, so it's very cool to know that when fresh ears fall on this work that it can elicit such an off kilter comparision - which i like.

🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

WAAAYYYY behind on write ups... but just cracked open a cold one and diving into RD 28...

random takes:

Brandi Carlile- Is really growing on me... Hard way home is nice song!

The Police- Is a band I never listened much to other than the hits... I think Im going really enjoy this list. Digging it.

Modest Mouse- Is probably my favorite band(other than my own) in this draft. The world at large would land higher on my list. great song.

SRV- aint gone N give up on love... can't like this one more. such a chill vibe

The Decemberist- Raincaot song- My 14 just walked by and said she liked the sound of this one... she is now looking up other Decemberist songs. daily win!

Big Thief- Paul... I'm in love with Lenker's voice. best offering from them thus far

Ryan Adams- Probably play more Ryan Adams songs on Guitar than any other artist. My winding wheel is nice selection. Of all the list Im most curious how your top 10 lines up with mine.

Warren Zevon- Never really listened to much of him ever... but like Dirty life and times.

The Kinks- Have another drink? I think I will!

Enjoying most other songs. on to the 27s

TIME TO CHIME ...

Of Lilies and Remains/Departure

"but otb, they're kinda the same 'song', what gives putting them in sequence"?

very astute - if not painfully obvious - observation, dear reader.

Bauhouac? Kerouhaus?

these two needed to be slotted back to back - and belly to belly - in an exercise such as this, where the great majority are not the least bit familiar with the catalog.

to be more user friendly, would kinda be akin to a poster including "You Know My Name, Look Up The Number" and "Revolution #9" in their Beatles top 31, to showcase their more experimental and avant garde/absurdist side ... though, to be fair here, those 2 are a snippet outta 200+ tunes, whereas the 'haus culled maybe 1/5th of that output ... so, to me, the Bauhaus oddities are more reflective of the specific studio moods and vibes that were swirling about the group at those particular times of recording.

the Kerouac stream of consciousness sitch i cited may not resonate at all here with some of y'all, and that's Archie with me, 'cuz i see it in spades - (these were staples of mine when i were indulging the party powder) - toss in a heaping helping of Mr. Poe, and a certain artifice that matches Charlie McKenzie at the finger snapping coffee house (excuse me, but i believe i ordered the large cappuccino), and WALA!

suffice to say that these two are not widely considered jewels of the oeuvre, though "Lilies" remained a live staple, largely due to it's more conventional construct, whereas "Departure" is just and unhinged kowtow to their whimsy.

during the sessions for their last proper release in '83 (i do not recognize the '08 album), Murphy were sidelined with pneumonia, and were still struggling with his grandiosity ... and the smack. when he returned to the studio he were quite taken aback that the Haskin bros and Ash had already laid down a ton of the work sans his presence ... one of the reasons why i think he camped it up on "Departure" like the Lydon/Bowie hybrid on 'roids he were ... interestingly enough, the song title and the album it came off of ("Burning From the Inside") hint at the deterioration of the outfit, proper ... and it proved to be prophetic, as it would take 15 years for them to reunite for a comeback tour, and 25 yrs before hitting the studio again.

the seeds of Tones on Tail and Love and Rockets are really taking sprout, and bassist David J was proving to be a major force ... and he has been the star of the seven i've rolled out thus far.

in putting this together i was not looking to just creep the obvious, though, with their abbreviated work, it's kinda impossible - but i do consider this an honest 31 song dissection of this band as per my 40 year immersion ... it will be as indulgent and bombastic and free of f**** to give, much like the career the lads laid on us.

we've had: embracing of the absurd with "Party of the First Part"/foray into space and dub with "Paranoia, Paranoia"/a lushly arranged Murphy lament in "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything"/a legit post-punk floor riot in "Dancing"/a nod to the Hammer-esque, Victorian horror ambience with "The Three Shadows Part I"/the sci-fi with a toe tag vibe of "Mask" ... and now the two free form excursions - lots to dive in to with this lot, the lads had no fear of worming out they pigeonhole any COTdamn way they saw fit - this i love.

btw, i saw @simey likened "Lilies" to a B-52s kinda feel ... it were a direct homage to Cale & the Velvets, who they were huge devotees of (surprise!), but, thru power of suggestion, i think i see her point - i woulda never made that connection, so it's very cool to know that when fresh ears fall on this work that it can elicit such an off kilter comparision - which i like.

🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

spot on, brutha!

... but, next time, let me do the talking.

A few I haven't commented on previously (egregious error on my part)
* Two by Ryan Adams - I really liked this one, especially the lyrics. "It takes two when it used to take one"
* N.Y. by Doves - my favorite overall album by Doves (eagerly anticipating where you have another song from this album)
* Departure by Bauhaus - the vocals really grabbed me on this one (seriously!); like a laid back Art Brut or Craig Finn on Dilaudid®
* We are the Champions - Queen; I think I've heard this one before as it seemed vaguely familiar. Seriously, though, still a great song 46 years on

The Decemberist- Raincaot song- My 14 just walked by and said she liked the sound of this one... she is now looking up other Decemberist songs. daily win!
Let me know how that turns out. I took my 2 kids to see them when the youngest was about 14 years old. But they were already (forced to be) fans by then. :D

Let me know how that turns out. I took my 2 kids to see them when the youngest was about 14 years old. But they were already (forced to be) fans by then. :D
She has discovered down by the water and Crane wife... #prouddad

Only knew 6 of the 24's or 7 if I count Blowing in the Wind . Never heard this verdion- love it!
New to me favs in playlist order
My Song
Whatsername
Coma
The White Lady...
Two
Halfway to the Moon- mentioned earlier that I prefer(by alot!) this vocalist
Frank and Jesse
NY- probably my fav of this round

There are only 3 songs left with this style of vocals so hopefully I/they can pull you back in. And I know where you're coming from, I have the same problem with Phish and The Hold Steady- really like most of the music but not the vocalists. Today's Phish was by far my fav due to having a different lead singer
I am still down. Heavy Clutch reminds me so much of Helmet's sound. :wub:

Sugar Rios is hitting me bigly ... as if i had a resting musical snow globe set on them, then shook it up and Black Metal emerges from the f***ed with a weed whacker chaos.

i wanna say "polar" opposites, but that's too easy - no?

when atmospheric **** hits, it HITS.

"My Tears Ricochet" is quasi-goff ... lite.

kinda like Lana Del Rey's swirling interpretation (aping?) of the genre - Ms. Swift's vox may be a tad too folksy to carry this off earnestly, but it's a winner amidst this arrangement.

#24- The Stranglers - Duchess

Year - 1978
Album - The Raven
UK Chart position - 14
Vocals - Hugh Cornwell
Key Lyric - Duch of the terrace knows all her heritage
Says she's Henry's kid
Knows all her history in the family
Needs a man, god forbid
God forbid

Interesting Points
1- This song is about Hugh Cornwell’s dalliance with a direct descendant of Henry VIII. She allegedly lived alone in a huge mansion. She had a constant stream of upper class potential suitors, who she rebuffed in favour of low life junkie rock star.

2- The band dressed up as choirboys for the video, which was enough for the BBC to ban the video. Meanwhile there was rampant paedophilia at the TV station running unchecked

3- This album was the first clear departure from punk and Duchess was the lead single. The evolution from Black and White to the Raven to The Gospel according to the Meninblack is fascinating. This may be one of their most commercial accessible songs, but just lacks a little bite

4- A funny lyric is “And the Rodney's are queuing up”.

What a Rodney is in this case is man “with no "breeding" (You know the type...) who trail around marriageable aristocratic chicks, to try and buy into "class" / nobility. Why "Rodney"? Because, nobody with any class / breeding whatsoever would call their son "Rodney"”
5- When The Manic Street Preachers' 1998 single "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" was released, many commented on its similarities to this song. Stranglers singer Hugh Cornwall commented to Classic Rockmagazine: "It was bandied around when it came out. I think the publishing companies involved have musicologists who study these things and decide whether to take action. No action was taken, so obviously it didn't resemble it that much. It doesn't bother me. Everyone plagiarises everything anyway. It's the nature of the beast."

Summary to date
Year

1977 - 3
1978 - 2
1979 - 2
1980 - 0
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 0
1987 - 0
1988 - 1
1989 - 0
1990 onwards - 0

Where to find
Rattus Norvegicus - 3/9
No More Heroes - 0/11
Black and White - 1/12
The Raven - 2/11
The Gospel According to the Meninblack - 0/10
La Folie - 0/11
Feline - 0/9
Aural Sculpture - 0/11
Dreamtime - 0/10
All Live and All of the Night - 1/13
10 - 0/10
1991 onwards - 0
B Sides - 0
Greatest Hits - 0
Standalone Single - 1

Running Vocal Count
Hugh Cornwell - 5
Jean-Jacques Burnel - 3
Other - 0

Rundown
#31 - Walk on By
#30 - Ugly
#29 - All Day and All of the Night
#28 - Meninblack
#27 - Goodbye Toulouse
#26 - Princess of the Streets
#25 - Sweden (All Quiet on the Eastern Front)
#24 - Duchess
Next we go back to their roots and they tell us who they are from the get go

DUCHESS are an easy top 5 for me out these blokes - been hep to the jive thus far, but this one deserves top billing.

interested to see the lot ahead of this beaut ... bring it

🏴‍☠️

My Round #24 Thoughts

Todd Rundgren - Alright, this was fantastic! I need to dig into this more. My favorite of his so far.

Jorge Ben Jor - total big band crooner song, loved it.

Modest Mouse - wow, this was different than what I’m used to from them. Very cool.

The Decembrists - I liked this a lot. You’re rankings are great so far since I keep liking them more as things progress.

Rush - Yes! This brings back some fun, fuzzy memories.

Daft Punk - sounds like the music playing when John Wick is killing 100 Russian mobsters at the club that serves as a front for their drug and human trafficking operations.

Elliott Smith - had to double check to make sure I didn’t fast forward to Simon & Garfunkel.

Stranglers - this was cool, but does this mean I’m sniped from using my Duchess song later in the order?

We are the Champions - about 8-9 years ago, I almost started a brawl when my daughters softball team won the state championship against our crosstown rival in the finals. I played this on loop on my big speaker while we celebrated on the field and the other teams families thought I was rubbing it in. I calmed the situation by changing things to the Electric Slide or the Cha Cha Slide or some other dumb song on my softball playlist.

Ray Charles - is this Golddigger? It IS Golddigger! This was awesome, never heard this before.

Doves - another awesome song

Spoon - I already told you how I love this

Tragically Hip - I really enjoyed this!

Lots of other great stuff on this list, sorry if I left you off.

My two favorite Taylor Swift songs, “The 1” and “My Tears Richochet” have already been selected. I prefer the “Long Pond” version of both songs.

I honestly believe these are two of the finest songs of the 21st century. They’re that good.

Some of my favorites from Round 24 were from artists that I haven't highlighted as much

• Easily my favorite Rundgren so far, real catchy
  • Modest Mouse is a total boom/bust band for me, this song was dynamite
  • Green Day nailed this one, I had already stopped listening to Green Day by the time American Idiot came out. I need to give that a full spin someday.
  • Daft Punk does it again, love the energy here
  • T Swift with the first song of the exercise that piqued my attention
  • This is the kind of Chicago song I dig- that might be uncool or so uncool it's actually cool? idk
  • The Stranglers probably won the round for me, killer track
  • Ryan Adams ,Elton John, Frank Black and AC/DC (y)
  • Another Foo Fighters song that I love.

I finally had a chance to listen to the #28 playlist. Will try to catch up more over the weekend.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Modest Mouse - The World At Large
  • Genesis - Home by the Sea
  • Stevie Wonder - Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Alice In Chains - Your Decision
  • Green Day - Macy's Day Parade
  • Phish - Billy Breathes
  • Spoon - Do I Have To Talk You Into It
👍

Users who are viewing this thread