What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Like Doc Oc just asked, is this the happiest song ever? It's definitely up there, and is easily one of ELO's most recognizable songs. It's from the Out of the Blue album (which i think placed five or six on my list). Like most of that album, this was one of the tunes that came out of Jeff Lynne locking himself in a swiss chalet for a few weeks. Per wiki: "It was dark and misty for 2 weeks, and I didn't come up with a thing. Suddenly the sun shone and it was, 'Wow, look at those beautiful Alps.' I wrote Mr. Blue Sky and 13 other songs in the next 2 weeks"

And because it's ELO, they have to have something a little wierd. In this case, it's the false end of the song, which then goes into a minute of a pretty rocking beat, followed by a vocoder voice that says "please turn me over" (it's the last song on side C).

Anyway, enjoy - It's infectious, it's happy, it never leaves you... it's Mr. Blue Sky!!

Last edited:
An interesting phenomenon of the early '80s was that sometimes the songs released as videos were not the same as the songs released as singles to the radio. When Fagen's Nightfly album came out, New Frontier was on MTV but I.G.Y. was on the radio.
Meant to mention to you that it didn't really dawn on me until I started working on my write-ups how much our respective picks are two sides of the same coin yet equally disparate at the same time. Both are a blend of jazz and rock/pop yet their stylings don't overlap. I think that's as much a testament to the genres as it is to their musicianship, which is considerable especially in light of your list; you're really showing them with all their weapons to bear.:thumbup:

An interesting phenomenon of the early '80s was that sometimes the songs released as videos were not the same as the songs released as singles to the radio. When Fagen's Nightfly album came out, New Frontier was on MTV but I.G.Y. was on the radio.
Meant to mention to you that it didn't really dawn on me until I started working on my write-ups how much our respective picks are two sides of the same coin yet equally disparate at the same time. Both are a blend of jazz and rock/pop yet their stylings don't overlap. I think that's as much a testament to the genres as it is to their musicianship, which is considerable especially in light of your list; you're really showing them with all their weapons to bear.:thumbup:
Their stylings don't overlap, and the music press loved Steely Dan but hated Chicago. I suspect that was because the Dan's lyrics were so weird.

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 23: Your Little Hoodrat Friend
This is my #1 Hold Steady song and it's not even close.
I've only seen them once at a bar in Ithaca. It was my daughter's first concert ever and what a show. (I think she's been since disillusioned that you don't always get to stand 5 feet away from the band.)
We (and everyone else in the crowd) went absolutely bananas when they played this.
Great story - my kid has no interest in seeing my "old man rock bands." :crying:

If this were a ranking, no doubt I would have Hoodrat ranked at 1 or 2. As it is, they usually play it toward the end of the set before the encore(s) and I'm a stickler for whatever dumb internal rules I set up when developing this thing.

Mr. Blue Sky

Like Doc Oc just asked, is this the happiest song ever? It's definitely up there, and is easily one of ELO's most recognizable songs. It's from the Out of the Blue album (which i think placed five or six on my list). Like most of that album, this was one of the tunes that came out of Jeff Lynn locking himself in a swiss chalet for a few weeks. Per wiki: "It was dark and misty for 2 weeks, and I didn't come up with a thing. Suddenly the sun shone and it was, 'Wow, look at those beautiful Alps.' I wrote Mr. Blue Sky and 13 other songs in the next 2 weeks"

And because it's ELO, they have to have something a little wierd. In this case, it's the false end of the song, which then goes into a minute of a pretty rocking beat, followed by a vocoder voice that says "please turn me over" (it's the last song on side C).

Anyway, enjoy - It's infectious, it's happy, it never leaves you... it's Mr. Blue Sky!!
Baby Groot dancing to this amid the chaos of battle at the beginning of GotG2 is my favorite part of that movie.

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 23: Your Little Hoodrat Friend
This is my #1 Hold Steady song and it's not even close.
I've only seen them once at a bar in Ithaca. It was my daughter's first concert ever and what a show. (I think she's been since disillusioned that you don't always get to stand 5 feet away from the band.)
We (and everyone else in the crowd) went absolutely bananas when they played this.
Great story - my kid has no interest in seeing my "old man rock bands." :crying:

If this were a ranking, no doubt I would have Hoodrat ranked at 1 or 2. As it is, they usually play it toward the end of the set before the encore(s) and I'm a stickler for whatever dumb internal rules I set up when developing this thing.
The brainwashing began early in my house. We never listened to kids artists (I can't even think up the name of one, and I'm not going to google it) or kidz bop. It was predominantly alternative/indy with some rock & rap thrown in. Over the years the kids' taste has expanded in directions that don't always align with mine, but for the most part they've turned out alright.

The brainwashing began early in my house. We never listened to kids artists (I can't even think up the name of one, and I'm not going to google it) or kidz bop. It was predominantly alternative/indy with some rock & rap thrown in. Over the years the kids' taste has expanded in directions that don't always align with mine, but for the most part they've turned out alright.
Yeah, started early here too. He doesn't mind THS, kind-of likes GnR, Metallica, and some grunge, but actively hates the punk and goth stuff (he trolls me by calling me emo). The only music that really stuck is old-school rap - kid loves Wu and Geto Boys and KRS One.

Some misc comments:
*The pace is pretty good. I definitely have appreciated having two days in between sometimes. This will definitely be one of those times as a storm knocked out our internet (but thankfully not the power) last night.

*Write-up will be (has been) delayed because of that, but as always I appreciate whatever support/mentions I get!

*I've had a few songs marked explicit for language, and one more to come somewhere up the list. So id be incredibly hypocritical if I wasn't okay with at least occasional profanity.

Damon Albarn song #13

Gorillaz - "Clint Eastwood" from Gorillaz (2001)

Honestly this is such a banger I could justify including both this and the Ed Case refix in a 31 of Albarn's stuff, they're both that different and that good. That said, I'd probably include at least something he did with Deltron 3030 and as a Blur >>> Oasis man I'm not sure how much Gorillaz as a whole I would actually include

As an aside if people have skimmed my write ups you'll have seen me mention "Prodigy tracks that don't sound like the Prodigy" a fair bit. #8 is probably the peak of that. We have flutes!

Having dinner with my wife then it's off to the Clutch/Dino Jr concert. To tie this in to a couple other threads I'll be going alone and eating 20mgs of gummies. Just realized today they are co headliners so 12 songs by each. Thanks to this thread I'll at least have heard at least half of Dinosaur Jr 's songs.
Have a good time, gb! Let us know the set list.

In the song, he name drops Tuesday Weld, someone completely lost on us post-Boomers, but if you peruse the wiki link to her, you'll see the peak of her activity as an actress was during this era, as she was featuring in movies (some of which seem more exploitative than others) and TV at the same time. She continued acting, but she wasn't as much in demand after this brief busy period. I don't think he could have picked a more apt female celebrity from this era.

she was such a bombshell that she was mentioned in an early Flintstones episode

The Flintstones - s02e06 - The Rock Quarry Story
t/x 1961-10-20

A movie star tired of his life in the spotlight decides to hide out from his fans in Bedrock. Under his real name, Gus Schultz, he befriends Fred and Barney, who have no idea who he really is. Their wives, who are big movie fans, are not so easily deceived.

The character's name (and the episode's title), Rock Quarry, spoofs that of the Hollywood actor Rock Hudson. All characters on the show had comic names derived from some reference to stone (such as the Flintstones and the Rubbles).

The voice of Rock Quarry (performed by series regular John Stephenson) is a parody of the stilted voice of the film star Gary Cooper. The voice of the character Gary Granite, another stone-related surname, who appears briefly at the end of the episode, spoofs that of the film star Cary Grant.

The reference to the (unseen) movie star named Tuesday Wednesday is another Hollywood-based in-joke, parodying the name of real life actress Tuesday Weld.

when I looked her up didn't realize she was married to Dudley Moore for a few years in the late 70s. Got divorced in '80 ...so she missed out on that "Arthur" money.
Ann-Margrock made me feel kind of funny back in the day. Still does actually.

PhishshukeMaze

I love the building paranoia in this song. Fun version here.

PhishshukeThe Curtain With

If someone asked me what one song best describes the Phish sound, I'd have to go with this. Yet it has never appeared on a studio album. The "With" is the part that starts around the 7:00 minute mark. There were a few years where The Curtain was played without it, which is very unfortunate.

Damon Albarn song #11

Gorillaz (feat. Mos Def and Bobby Womack) - "Stylo" from Plastic Beach (2010)

Gorillaz third album Plastic Beach was where Albarn began the current guest heavy model for the band. It was a loosely constructed concept album involving that has something to do with pollution of the oceans.

Soul legend Bobby Womack was among the guests invited to perform. His vocal takes the song to church. It helped spark an unlikely late-career revival for Womack which included a terrific Albarn-produced album The Bravest Man in the Universe.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/6LUfuyLgvgqrykiTE6sJHY

Live on the BBC (2010)

Man, this round 9 is simply awesome. Too much to say about everything, so not going to try. Favorite Dino Jr. song! Was grooving to that Donald Fagan song. How did I not know Stevie Wonder did this song? I mean it's obvious. Did I know? I knew it, right? I can't wait to "sleep" to this Prodigy song later.

Damon Albarn song #10

Blur - "The Universal" from The Great Escape (1995)

"The Universal" is the climax of the band's Britpop extravagances that manages to both glorify and satirize the excesses of 90s Britain. It should have been the album closer except that 1995 was peak-CD era and the album is 57 minutes long which takes a toll on sequencing.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/63G27PTar9LZQgKU2BKjx9

Live at Hyde Park 2012

New-to-me songs from #9 that I liked include:

Zumbi
Open Doors -- another latter-day epic from TOD that I missed by tuning them out after the '00s.
See You Later
London Lady
Open Up the Border
Mohammed's Radio
Gimme a Bullet
Hallelujah I Love Her So
Black and White Town -- I think this is now my second-favorite Doves song after Catch the Sun
You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb
Spirit
38 Years Old
Messages from Nowhere
My Father's Gun

Man, this round 9 is simply awesome. Too much to say about everything, so not going to try. Favorite Dino Jr. song! Was grooving to that Donald Fagan song. How did I not know Stevie Wonder did this song? I mean it's obvious. Did I know? I knew it, right? I can't wait to "sleep" to this Prodigy song later.
:lol: This was almost my exact reaction.

Now that we've closed the book on 2012's Lost Songs, many of you are probably feeling like you've had about enough time on the Trail. Here is a bonus track, another banger, this was the song I liked/knew the most off this album for a long time but after I really spent some time with the whole record, Pinhole Camera ended up not making my top four.

Killer album!

Tomorrow's track is another loud one, so we'll close out 1999's Madonna with more eff-yous than we've heard in the entire countdown combined, sorry Mrs. R, and then we'll dial back into a more layered approach towards #1.

After a busy and emotional work week I look forward to spending today in the cool house catching up on 9's and 10's and maybe posting here and there about songs.

Having dinner with my wife then it's off to the Clutch/Dino Jr concert. To tie this in to a couple other threads I'll be going alone and eating 20mgs of gummies. Just realized today they are co headliners so 12 songs by each. Thanks to this thread I'll at least have heard at least half of Dinosaur Jr 's songs.
Have a good time, gb! Let us know the set list.
Concert was awesome, both bands sounded great other than a feedback problem during Dino Jr s first song. Heard 5 tracks from the countdown by each band with 4 of my top 10.
Surprisingly diverse crowd with at least 20% female and a dozen or so kids in the 8-12 year old range.

New-to-me songs from #9 that I liked include:

Open Doors -- another latter-day epic from TOD that I missed by tuning them out after the '00s.
To be fair... this was the last song from the newer era, everything left is from pre-2010.

I've got a few to push on you from their last record, I think I said I was gonna do that but the week got weird and I never did.

More on the weird week later today too, maybe, if I can figure out a way to express it in a way that makes sense, not always my strong suit. Tragedy on the IT team!

Another brainstorm that I had this morning was to maybe help people get ideas or for a tie break, we could throw out our 3-5 artist "wishlist" that we would like to see done, but maybe you don't feel qualified to do so. For example, I would love to see Funkadelic/Parliament in here, but I would have no idea where I would begin and think it would be much better served in other hands.

Another brainstorm that I had this morning was to maybe help people get ideas or for a tie break, we could throw out our 3-5 artist "wishlist" that we would like to see done, but maybe you don't feel qualified to do so. For example, I would love to see Funkadelic/Parliament in here, but I would have no idea where I would begin and think it would be much better served in other hands.
I was thinking something in the funk genre — maybe them or Sly & The Family Stone. Not sure qualified for either though, but could give a reason to explore a bit deeper.

I was thinking something in the funk genre — maybe them or Sly & The Family Stone. Not sure qualified for either though, but could give a reason to explore a bit deeper.
Both sound awesome to me.

"Keep Me In Your Heart" has a special meaning to me, I didn't mention it before but when my favorite uncle, Bill, died of lymphoma in 2009 and we (the whole bereaved family - my grandma, my dad, aunt and other uncles and a few of us 'youngsters') were sitting around my aunt's dining room table planning the memorial for him, it was left to me the music geek to come up with a song for his memorial slideshow video. I had a few selections for everyone's review, I can't remember what any of the others were but when "Keep Me In Your Heart" came on it just crushed everybody and was the obvious choice. I only knew it at all because I had caught that VH1 special that I posted earlier.

Bill was an awesome dude, slightly shiftless and more or less proud of it, absolutely hilarious and loving person. Great cartoonist, great guitar player, but he never got the breaks he was hoping for, particularly with his giant stack of cartoons, many of which I had scanned and put on the internet for him in the late 90's, but I didn't know what I was doing as far as getting people to actually see them, in those days.

Since then I've watched a good friend as well as my Dad die of cancer in similar fashions. I'm just about numb to it. But I only bring this up because one of our coworkers is knocking on heaven's door as we speak, he was just flown back home to Texas so that he can fade out with his family. I didn't really know the guy but outside of our big boss, Bob, it probably hit me the hardest, and that's one of the things that bothers me about the whole deal. My team is full of heartless jerks! But they're mostly likable enough on the level you need them to be at work, which is fine.

A quick aside, I'm the only contractor left on a team of ten, End User support and Infrastructure Operations at the Baltimore VA hospital and I am busting my hump to try and get hired on permanently. To be honest, I have been around to about a dozen other VAMCs, including extensively at the San Francisco VA where I technically started out, and this is the best IT shop I have seen in my travels. The shop in downtown Chicago where I just spent two weeks... is an ABSOLUTE. CLOWN. SHOW. Which is too bad, but fairly typical.

This is too long already and I haven't even gotten to the point(s)

I came back to Bmore early this year, from San Francisco, and the top of our organization looks like this --- Bob, our area manager who runs the group and is just absolutely awesome, part of what makes it a good place to work. Gerard is the "director of operations" and technically everyone's boss, and then there's Ryan who I worked with and for before, during my first stint here at the hospital (in the thick of COVID), is effectively the director of operations and is also my work bro, and he and Bob have been bending over backwards to get me this job. In GS terms, Bob is a 14, Gerard is a 13 and Ryan is a 12. I'm looking at coming on as an 11 but for now still a lowly contractor.

The story of Gerard is this, he was working at the VA in Dallas and got promoted into the GS13 spot here in Baltimore, back in the fall before I got back here. Apparently he made the decision - Mistake #1 - to move himself, by himself, from there to here and he badly injured his leg during that move. He ended up getting surgery at the VA here, and wouldn't you know it - is it Stir Crazy where they are at the VA hospital? - he got a blood infection. So his entire time here, he's been trying to be the boss and run things from home, while also trying to heal, and in and out of treatment for this infection. Mistake #2.

I met him very briefly when he came in to pick up a new iPhone a few months ago. He was in a wheelchair, a wisp of a man, clearly not with it and looked like hammered ****. He had no idea who I was even though I'd been there for 2-3 months at that point, and on many of his calls.

The team hates him because he tries to run stuff but can't handle it. My whole thing has been .. WHY IS THIS GUY TRYING TO WORK, AND NOT CONVALESCING?? In a federal job like this, you're not gonna get fired, or even demoted, I don't know but he was trying to prove himself and did a lot of snapping at people over MS Teams, and screwing up a lot of trouble ticket assignments. In my eyes, it was just sad, nobody really showed any empathy/sympathy at all, just trashed the guy constantly.

So now, he went back into the hospital as a patient a couple of weeks ago and officially as of this week they have thrown up their hands and sent him home to die with his family.

Bob tried to get a group of team members to go up to the ICU and visit him but most people skipped it, and the vibe was basically f that guy. I didn't go because in my mind I said, if I was him I wouldn't want me, some total stranger coming in and gawking at me, but I think that was a mistake and I should have gone. Because Bob was let down. Whatever, really. I talked to Bob about it yesterday and he understood, but I felt a little like a dumb kid.

To complicate matters this week - there are two people who are in charge of managing and imaging laptops and PCs, and they mostly fart around all day and work very slow. I came back in from Chicago on Monday and Ryan told me he wanted me to go in and do what they've been doing, since one of them is on vacation and they had 0 usable new systems ready to deploy at that point. I went in and absolutely crushed it, filling our shelves and making it clear that they are scrubs and I am a badass. So now I have to add these two to the handful of people on the team who are mad at me for doing their jobs better than they do. What can I say... I am auditioning here. AND I DON'T GOOF OFF AT WORK ANYMORE. That was the old me and the old me ended up in the gutter. Footballguys hi.

So that's my vent on the week, I hope it makes sense. Thoughts and prayers for poor Gerard are appreciated. None of us got a chance to know the guy, sadly we only experienced him at his worst, but I'm keeping him in my heart for a while.

I really dug this album, if I didn't we would be suffering through LA Guns tracks or something instead

Suffering through LA Guns???

More like give me one more reason to love.
I could do 31 but it wouldn't be pretty.

In the long haul, best hair metal band ever, if only because they put out solid stuff well past their prime

Their debut was insanely good, I'd have to take 7-8 tracks from that

I thought hard about doing P Funk. The problem is, a lot of their music isn't on Spotify (unless something's changed recently) so the playlist would suffer.

I thought hard about doing P Funk. The problem is, a lot of their music isn't on Spotify (unless something's changed recently) so the playlist would suffer.
What if you just did George Clinton and get all his vehicles?

Users who are viewing this thread