What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

Born to Run is easily top 5 for me. One of high school football coaches had a thing for this song. He would play it in the weight room and when he cut the music off you would stop whatever lift/exercise you were on and rotate to the next one. Born to Run starts up again and you get busy.

Album: Easy Tiger
Artist: Ryan Adams
Released: 2007

This is one of the more quiet selections featuring just a voice and acoustic guitar - but like rock said, while it sounds sweet and simple there's a bite to the lyrics.

f I could I'd fold myself away like a card table
A concertina or a Murphy bed
I would but I wasn't made that way so you know instead
I'm open all night and the customers come to stay
And everybody tips but not enough to knock me over
I'm so tired
I just worked two shifts

My dog stayed asleep while Daft Punk played this time. Another band that I've been pleasantly surprised by two songs in. Again, not a band I could see being heavy in my rotation but could hit a sweet spot in the right mood. If I was a bit younger I could see dancing all night to this stuff - but I'm old and no one wants to see me dance.

Got a couple hours to kill in the Detroit airport. I was planning to listen to more of these songs, but the airport wifi is not being very cooperative with my plan.

Opera Obscura, this progressive, percussiony track does feel a little incomplete but I like it and it served well in my playlist as a segue from the interesting and very different IMO #29, and the behemoth that is #31 "Taken by the Hand". Sticks out a little like a sore thumb in this mix, could flow in the right spot but in any case, at least it's short!

I enjoy 2012's Lost Songs and there are still three more to come from that effort, all a little more conventional in sound.

Not how I planned it since I wasn't really up on how the reveal was going to happen, but we won't have anything like what I'd call a "conventional" Trail of Dead tune until #27. But I think you'll like the next two anyway. 28 is funny because it's actually part two of a two-part piece, and part one we won't get until #24.

(almost 100% sure this is CK vox)

Last edited:
Hells Bells, Yellow Brick Road and Born To Run stick out too, as all time classics, but it all works and kicks much ***

If anybody doesn't know this Keane cover of GYBR I think it's an all-timer

Liking Sigur Ros so far more than I ever did before, and I tried back in the snobby hoof days

I dig this Phish tune

Love love love "Truth Hits Everybody" and it will be stuck in my head for the next two days so thanks

+1 to the welcome Warren Zevon love, very refreshing to have him in here

Interested to see how many cuts from Earth Rocker we might get. My favorite Clutch album came late in their career.

Last edited:
Born to Run is easily top 5 for me. One of high school football coaches had a thing for this song. He would play it in the weight room and when he cut the music off you would stop whatever lift/exercise you were on and rotate to the next one. Born to Run starts up again and you get busy.
My favorite Springsteen song. Heard it a million times and still love it. Had it #14 in the top 31 American artist thread. Probably should have had it a bit higher.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur - Sigur Ros. (Yes, I did copy/paste that title) Obviously I didn’t understand a word, as I didn’t follow the link for lyrics from scoresman until afterwards. But when he describes it as upbeat and energetic, I have to agree.

Almost every description of Sigur Ros that fans give of the band includes their ability to convey emotion/meaning despite not understanding the lyrics. We haven't even heard any of the songs that are sung in the "gibberish" language yet.

I've been a fan of them for decades and only for this exercise have I really dove into the lyric translations.

It's best just to take the songs in at first and not worry about the lyrics. Consider his voice another instrument. If the lyrics are 100% what you look for in music (and that's totally fine), I could see someone having a problem.

I'm starting to fall for Big Thief and look forward to the final playlist here so I can start jumping in. This time I'll stick with it and keep them in my rotation. Red Moon is just so much fun.
Just listened to Red Moon. I didn't realize that's what it was as it came on after Green Day in the playlist while I was in here typing something. I thought it was fantastic up until the whistling part came in which just seemed a little misplaced to me. It was solid though and has me looking forward to more.

Daft Punk is playing as I type this...not feeling this so much. Not really in my wheelhouse.

It's best just to take the songs in at first and not worry about the lyrics. Consider his voice another instrument. If the lyrics are 100% what you look for in music (and that's totally fine), I could see someone having a problem.

That's the way I plan to approach it, so all good here. I'm behind the idea of voice as an instrument. I even had a "Dig the Vibe" category to shoutout foreign language tracks in the Worldwide Dummies thread. Heck, my next Alice in Chains selection is one I appreciate more for the vibe than the lyrics.

A few comments from some #30 songs I didn't know...

Opera Obscura - The drums in this are great. This song was full speed ahead, and when it ended I felt like I had stuck my finger in a socket and my hair was standing straight up.
Red Moon - I love the fiddle in this one. I feel like I'm back at Merlefest again listening to music I love.
Wading in the Velvet Sea - Nice mellow song. I wish there were more verses to it, because I liked the verse that was in it a lot, and I wanted another.
Choke - Another post Layne AIC song that I've never heard and like.
Never Ending Math Equation - I hate math, so I was skeptical about liking a song with this title j/k, but I listened and I liked it. I also like that little whatever it is noise at the end.
Paranoia, Paranoia - I can envision a scene in a movie with someone hearing this in their head while they are having a paranoid delusion. The song title captures the feel.
Ugly - This song reminds me of a song that would be on something like the Rock Horror Picture show. I like it.
Valentine and Garuda - I like the pace, sound and melody of this song. It's good.
Barfruit Blues - I can see fans liking this song live with those lyrics.

more new and known songs later...

Last edited:
#30 "Ain't Gonna Stand For It" - Stevie Wonder
The first part of this song sounds nothing like Stevie, but then he drops his country character and there comes funky Stevie. I remember this being on the radio in the early 80s. I always liked the part when he sings, "Don't wanna cause nobody no bodily harm, but somebody's been rubbin' on my good luck charm."

I’ll keep applying the “Thumper Rule” from previous drafts but can already tell there are a few artists that I just won’t really “get” - but there have been some pleasant surprises with stuff I didn’t really think I would like, but have.

At the very least these lists are very diverse which adds to the fun of going through the playlist.

I’m hoping this exercise carries on to Pt. 2 so we can all keep spreading the music and finding some new jams.
100%, and I am glad others voted against my idea of going 1 artist at a time.

The change in tones and mixing it up stood out today. I thought the Tragically Hip song was the next Big Thief song, I thought the Phish song was deadmau5 for a second. :bag: Things like that are already making the lists great. I think there are at least 6-7 stand outs for me on this list from bands that were as much on my radar after round 1, which is also encouraging.

Garden

This tune was a late grower for me, and was the song that got the last second call up because I tired of Mascis' voice on the other tune that got cut after a month. It's on one of the newer albums that I will admit that didn't connect much with me, but there still are some sneaky gems to be mined from the albums. After I submitted my list I realized that despite my comment while I was digging in, every album except one is represented in my playlist. What drew me to it was the opposite of some other songs of theirs - Mascis' voice is nice here and I got sucked in by the driving drum beat. Just a nice little tune I thought others would enjoy as well.

What I was thinking about listening to it was how it sounded like the tables had turned and maybe some other bands are morphing Dino's songs a little and influencing them - I hear some PJ and other's in here, which would be a fitting after now hearing how obviously they influenced bands like Nirvana and others from the 90s.

I didn't do any last 5 outs, but if anybody is interested in bonus Dino Jr, this is the song that was #30 most of the month but got replaced by Garden:

Drawerings

ETA: it's the usual Dino stuff that pulled me to this one intitially - great build up and fantastic solo, but at the end of the playlist we will have many more of those types of songs, but I don't think there are any more Gardens, so I made the right move.

Ray Charles = another favorite

I had the pleasure of seeing him at Eisenhower Auditorium back in [deleted for the sake of not owning up to being a fossil]. I can still see those skinny little legs kicking under the keyboard like he was being electro-shocked. What a performer.

Ain't That Love probably wouldn't have cracked my 31. Not because it isn't a great tune; it is. More that I don't envy you having to whittle it down to just 31. Damn near impossible. Your cut list might be as long as some performers' entire catalogue.

Open Secrets
With only being 2 songs in, IMO @higgins is on to something here with these Rush tunes. Open Secrets is a lot of what you want from Rush, minus some of the aspects where they earn some deserved criticism. Geddy's singing is, well, more along the lines of singing, which helps the listenability. Alex has himself a nice solo tucked in at around the 3:30 mark. A good set of tranisitions, not overdone. Neil does some excellent work, not showboating with solos, and Geddy on the bass helps it drive, particularly toward the end of the song. Maybe it's a little long at 5:30, but it's not one of their 10-20 minute deals :lol: .

As a fan, my interest is piqued.

Never went much beyond Dookie, but Green Day is bringing it.
agree - that was one of the bands I didn't think I liked, but have enjoyed both songs so far. I did recently "discover" American Idiot and was mad at myself for never giving it a real chance back in the day.

Never went much beyond Dookie, but Green Day is bringing it.
They are clicking for me too. I really know very little of their catalog outside of Dookie. I have enjoyed both Misery and Peacmaker. I don't think I have ever heard either before.
Glad to read! There will be some traditional Green Day intertwined throughout, but they evolved from those snot-nosed punks (this is a compliment to me) that burst onto the scene. The attitude may not have changed much, but the subject matter and musical growth from the mid-90's to the mid-aughts sure did. There were a few different sounds I couldn't find space for in the 31, but I'll link them when the timing is right and true to Green Day form most of those that got squeezed clock in at 2:__ mins.

Highlights from the 30s first ten or so songs I've been through:

Brandi Carlisle - Country is like nails on chalkboard to me, so the fact that I kinda liked this is something worth mentioning.

The Police - Never heard this one before. Good song.

Genesis - Also never been outside the hits with them, and this was... something. Something that I really liked though. The transitions in the middle of the song are out there.

AC/DC - Seeing these two great songs come up first makes me wonder if they are one of those bands whose best music is not in the hits, or if we're just purposely starting the list off with a bang. Or maybe they just have 31 hits and I'm forgetting them.

Opera Obscura - Digging the main riff here. Never heard this band before now.

Ray Charles = another favorite

I had the pleasure of seeing him at Eisenhower Auditorium back in [deleted for the sake of not owning up to being a fossil]. I can still see those skinny little legs kicking under the keyboard like he was being electro-shocked. What a performer.

Ain't That Love probably wouldn't have cracked my 31. Not because it isn't a great tune; it is. More that I don't envy you having to whittle it down to just 31. Damn near impossible. Your cut list might be as long as some performers' entire catalogue.
It was tough deciding on what to leave off. He has so many I love. I decided to go for diversity for the listening audience. Whether the songs lean more towards blues, jazz, country, r&b, pop, etc., they all have soul in them. Everything he did had soul infused in it, because that is what naturally came out of him. I had several songs that I kept changing around, but "Ain't That Love" was never one of them. It was automatic on the list for me due to its joyous sound. I could do another 31 of his and be very happy with it.

#30 "Ain't Gonna Stand For It" - Stevie Wonder
The first part of this song sounds nothing like Stevie, but then he drops his country character and there comes funky Stevie. I remember this being on the radio in the early 80s. I always liked the part when he sings, "Don't wanna cause nobody no bodily harm, but somebody's been rubbin' on my good luck charm."
Right after that line the song really kicks up a notch. Never heard it and liked it

Had no idea who/what DRC Music was until the voice kicked in. Such breadth of styles. :thumbup:
I still don't know who it is, none of the listed artists are from this countdown.
Not sure if I liked it but didn't dislike it. Kinda like if reggae and house music had a baby

A few more thoughts on some new songs I didn't know from the 30 songs...

Redesigning Women - This is catchy. 🤠
Gone Cold - I'll take this song on the rocks. 🥃
Springtime in Vienna - I like this, and I'm curious if they were one of Canada's most popular bands during their run.
Peacemaker - This is fun.
So Excited - Nice smooth instrumental. 🎸
Midlist Author - I like the piano intro. Good toe tappin' tune.
Garden - I didn't realize DJ was still making new music. I like this.
Knock Knock Knock - I like Spoon.
Hallo - Interesting sounds in this one. I had to think for a minute to figure out this was affiliated with Damon Albarn.
Indo Silver Club/4ware/Speedway - Wasn't X popular at raves in the 90s? Were raves always in the same place or did they move around to different warehouses and such? Are they still a thing?

of course HELLZ BELLZ come up first on the shuffle ... was this BJ's debut track? goodt, natch

Faces for Radio then up wif I'M A ROCKA ... derivative to perfection - Davey boy wailin'

Cluuutch next - with a Roky Erikson-esque slow burn ...

J "Mil" Masc(is)ara wrests the next spot ... it's a superb wall of shimmer

Knock (3 Times) from Spoonage Daydream ... it has a good hook - it builds, which i like

now Hold(ing) Steady with Barfruit Blues ... now jonesin' to hit my favorite dive for skunked Coors Lite - and that vibe ain't a bad thing

GYBR - Reg were NEVER better ... hard pressed to find anything this gorgeous featuring "horny black toad" - and a couola vodka tonics - it's quantum.

Users who are viewing this thread