What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Anderson Update? (1 Viewer)

AeroFANatic

Footballguy
Anyone hear any more about this situation? I've heard he will play, Ive heard he will split time with Bell, and I heard he woulden't play! Which is right? I haven't seen any Shanny press conferences lately.Anyone got the scoop, or know when I should expect more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to early to tell. Injury report comes out today, and my guess is that he'll be listed as questionable.Could be looking at a GTD.

Anyone hear any more about this situation? I've heard he will play, Ive heard he will split time with Bell, and I heard he woulden't play! Which is right? I haven't seen any Shanny press conferences lately.

Anyone got the scoop, or know when I should expect more?
Found this FWIW... http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=4662
Notebook: Coping With Pain the Issue for Anderson

By Andrew Mason

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Whether Mike Anderson can make a rapid return to action after suffering separated rib cartilage on Sunday depends on his tolerance for pain.

"It's just me being comfortable with it," Anderson said Monday. "I've had bruised ribs, broken ribs and played. That's a day-to-day thing. You just play through it."

"It's really dealing with the pain," Head Coach Mike Shanahan added. "It was quite sore during the game. That will be determined later."

Anderson said that the injury was treated with ice and anti-inflammatory medication, but he still "tossed and turned" throughout the night and was unable to sleep soundly, but was confident the injury wouldn't cause any long-term issues.

"I don't think it's anything that severe," he said. "It's that I just took a good shot on the right spot, where the rib cage and the cartilage connect."

Anderson was forced to the sidelines after carrying the ball just four times for five yards, but emerged from Sunday's game believing the injury would be merely a short-term problem.

Anyone hear any more about this situation?  I've heard he will play, Ive heard he will split time with Bell, and I heard he woulden't play!  Which is right?  I haven't seen any Shanny press conferences lately.

Anyone got the scoop, or know when I should expect more?
Found this FWIW... http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=4662
Notebook: Coping With Pain the Issue for Anderson

By Andrew Mason

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Whether Mike Anderson can make a rapid return to action after suffering separated rib cartilage on Sunday depends on his tolerance for pain.

"It's just me being comfortable with it," Anderson said Monday. "I've had bruised ribs, broken ribs and played. That's a day-to-day thing. You just play through it."

"It's really dealing with the pain," Head Coach Mike Shanahan added. "It was quite sore during the game. That will be determined later."

Anderson said that the injury was treated with ice and anti-inflammatory medication, but he still "tossed and turned" throughout the night and was unable to sleep soundly, but was confident the injury wouldn't cause any long-term issues.

"I don't think it's anything that severe," he said. "It's that I just took a good shot on the right spot, where the rib cage and the cartilage connect."

Anderson was forced to the sidelines after carrying the ball just four times for five yards, but emerged from Sunday's game believing the injury would be merely a short-term problem. 
Let's think about this. Anderson can't even sleep through the night without pain, how is he going to make it through a game? It doesn't sound like he'll get much rest this week. If he does rest, and he ends up starting, how long is he going to last until the next "good shot on the right spot". I'm staying away from him this week, even if he is declared the starter.

I am sitting Mike until I see him kick out 20 carries in a game. I think even if he does start, this could be a committee thing until he heals some. He may start, but I doubt he gets more than 10-12 carries this week. If he does, great! If not, I will be riding the Stephen Davis bus for a few weeks.

Let's think about this. Anderson can't even sleep through the night without pain, how is he going to make it through a game? It doesn't sound like he'll get much rest this week. If he does rest, and he ends up starting, how long is he going to last until the next "good shot on the right spot". I'm staying away from him this week, even if he is declared the starter.
Keep in mind that quote was from Monday, so he's talking about having pain Sunday night. He may have slept fine the past two nights.That said, I'd like to see Anderson make it through a game before starting him again.

You can't play him this week unless you're really desperate.I own Anderson and the guy who grabbed Tatum also has FWP. I'm thinking about bailing on MA for Parker if I can get an upgrade at WR along with it.

You can't play him this week unless you're really desperate.

I own Anderson and the guy who grabbed Tatum also has FWP. I'm thinking about bailing on MA for Parker if I can get an upgrade at WR along with it.
No way you get FWP and an upgrade at WR for Mike A. I don't see the upside for Mike FWP *could* be facing.

I own Anderson and the guy who grabbed Tatum also has FWP.  I'm thinking about bailing on MA for Parker if I can get an upgrade at WR along with it.
No way you get FWP and an upgrade at WR for Mike A. I don't see the upside for Mike FWP *could* be facing.
You may be right. I think Parker still might be perceived as Cinderella who will turn into a pumpkin at midnight. Wrapping up the Denver RB is pretty tempting too, donchathink?

I own Anderson and the guy who grabbed Tatum also has FWP.  I'm thinking about bailing on MA for Parker if I can get an upgrade at WR along with it.
:goodposting: I was going to say the exact same thing.

It was nice to see Channning Crowder introduce himself to Mike Anderson so early in the game.
Anderson didn't get injured on a hit. Anderson got injured reaching back for a ball. Sort of one of those weird injuries.Anyway, I think after Anderson missed all of last season, he's really really eager to get back on the field. I think he'll dress and see time... but I'm still avoiding the situation. Even if he plays, I see Dayne and/or Bell spelling him liberally, and Denver has had trouble running against the 3-4, historically. Look how they did last season against SanD.

On the news last night, Denver reportrers were still saying "day-to-day" but he has not yet practiced this week, and he is still in tremendous amounts of pain when he moves.I think you can expect Shanahan to be as tight lipped as usual officially, but knowing his lack of willingness to put in backs who are less than 100 percent, even knowing how tough MA is, you should expect Bell starting and a Dayne/Bell combo through the game.Big home game v. Chargers? I doubt he'll risk an ailing Anderson at the RB spot when he has two healthy options.

It was nice to see Channning Crowder introduce himself to Mike Anderson so early in the game.
Anderson didn't get injured on a hit. Anderson got injured reaching back for a ball. Sort of one of those weird injuries.Anyway, I think after Anderson missed all of last season, he's really really eager to get back on the field. I think he'll dress and see time... but I'm still avoiding the situation. Even if he plays, I see Dayne and/or Bell spelling him liberally, and Denver has had trouble running against the 3-4, historically. Look how they did last season against SanD.
:no: if he dresses and is able to go, he'll start and Shanahan wil run him 20+ times.If he is only healthy enough to "see some time" Shanahan will leave him inactive.

Does the guy who think he is going to get FWP and a WR for Mike Anderson really think he is a shark?
Maybe he's in a league full of Denver homers.

:no: if he dresses and is able to go, he'll start and Shanahan wil run him 20+ times.

If he is only healthy enough to "see some time" Shanahan will leave him inactive.
Just like Shanahan did with Droughns and Bell last season?First, playing with the injury doesn't increase the risk of reinjuring it, it's strictly a pain issue. And if Anderson can play through the pain, Shanahan will let him. I still think Shanny would spell Anderson a lot more this week than usual, though. Anderson would still get the meaningful carries (short yardage, goal line), but I definitely expect Bell to get some between-the-20 carries to keep Anderson fresh for those meaningful carries.

Shanahan's #1 priority right now is improving short yardage and goal line rushing. Anderson gives him the best chance to do that, and I fully expect Shanahan to take advantage of Anderson to do just that. However, like Bell and Droughns last season, I see more of a platoon approach to keep Anderson fresher for the meaningful carries. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I don't think it would be at all out of character for Shanny to platoon a guy with some concerns around him. Or play a guy with health concerns if he helps the team win and he can't reinjure himself.

All of this depends on how bad the pain is. The point is moot if Anderson doesn't dress. Of course, if Anderson doesn't dress, then I expect more of a platoon approach from Dayne and Bell for this one game to assess which is the better runner in a real game situation (and because I doubt Shanny uses Bell at the goal line again this season).

Keep in mind, too, that Denver has trouble running against the 3-4, so I don't know that their numbers will be very good across the board. Definitely a messy situation. If I didn't own Anderson/Bell/Droughns/whoever, I'd be waiting a week and then targeting them next week as prime "buy low" candidates. I think people will see Denver string together two average games and forget their history of rushing dominance.

You seem to forget how Shannie plays his RBs - esp,. early in the year.The sitch last year with Droughns and Bell is NOT similar.I have been watching this guy for many years now making these RB decisions early in the year - if Anderson is hurting, he will not play - if he can handle the pain well enough to practice by Friday/Saturday, then he will start and get 20+ carries.If MA has not practiced by Friday, he will be inactive for the game and Bell will start with Dayne spelling him.

I don't think the issue is one of re-injury, I think it's one of effectiveness.If Anderson can "play through the pain," but every three or four carries he has to recover and be able to breathe again, he won't be that effective (though maybe effective enough to platoon).

You seem to forget how Shannie plays his RBs - esp,. early in the year.

The sitch last year with Droughns and Bell is NOT similar.

I have been watching this guy for many years now making these RB decisions early in the year - if Anderson is hurting, he will not play - if he can handle the pain well enough to practice by Friday/Saturday, then he will start and get 20+ carries.

If MA has not practiced by Friday, he will be inactive for the game and Bell will start with Dayne spelling him.
I certainly don't THINK I forget how Shannie plays his RBs early in the season. I don't know how it's all that different from how he plays his RBs late in the season. I understand that Shanny's #1 priority is to find a workhorse and get him 20+ carries a game. I also understand that there are situations where he will alter that strategy for a game if it's in the best interest of his workhorse and his football team.As for comparable injuries... I can't think of another injury that had 0% chance of recurring if a player came back, where it was just a pain issue. I know if it's an ankle injury, or something that has even a slight chance of recurring if the player rushes back, then Shanny will hold him out in a heartbeat. From what I read, there's no chance of this recurring, it's just a question of whether Anderson can deal with the pain. I don't think Shanahan would have any reservations against playing him even if he was still hurting. I also don't think Shanny would rush him 20-25 times, especially against a 3-4 defense, if he was hurting.

Also, if Anderson's out, I really see Shanny using this as an audition game for Dayne/Bell. I think they'll both get their shots to make an impression (and no, 20 carries to 5 carries isn't giving both their shot).

I suppose we'll simply agree to disagree here.

Interesting parallel to Bell last year, who played through his separated shoulder. Bell had something to prove to Shanny, while Anderson is trying to play to keep his job secure.I'm no doctor, so I can't gauge the difficulty of a separated shoulder and separated rib cartilege, but I'm sure Bell coming back last year must be weighing in Anderson's mind.

Does the guy who think he is going to get FWP and a WR for Mike Anderson really think he is a shark?
:rolleyes: I don't remember claiming to be. I'm pretty sure that FWP's value is higher here than in most circles, though.

:goodposting: I was going to say the exact same thing.
Sorry for the hijack in this thread. Just want to point out that MA is over 100 points higher than FWP in the trade value column of the latest top 200. Anderson is still in pain. ;)

Seems to early to tell. Injury report comes out today, and my guess is that he'll be listed as questionable.
Update - as expected:Broncos | Anderson Questionable for Week 2

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:52:39 -0700

Denver Broncos RB Mike Anderson (ribs) is listed as questionable for the Week 2 game against the San Diego Chargers.

:popcorn:

Anderson had limited practice today.

Link

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Mike Anderson didn't go through the full practice on Wednesday, but he did see some work during an afternoon practice session that kicked off the Broncos' preparations for the San Diego Chargers.

"He didn't take any reps with the offense; he ran a couple of plays on scout team," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He looked pretty good."

Anderson is officially listed as questionable on the injury report, which was issued Wednesday afternoon.

"Hopefully there's no setback," Shanahan said, "but our plan is to try to practice him on Friday, and we'll wait and see how he does."

Another article.... Link 2

Next up for Broncos, it's Dayne or Bell

By EDDIE PELLS

DENVER (AP) - When the Denver Broncos needed a big back to get the ball in from near the goal line last week, Ron Dayne was there - in street clothes on the sideline.

Inactive for his first game with the Broncos, Dayne figures to dress this week with Mike Anderson's status in question because of a rib injury. Anderson practised Wednesday, although coach Mike Shanahan said he wouldn't be able to speak about his status for the San Diego game until Friday.

If Anderson can't go, it means Dayne or maybe Tatum Bell are in the best position to be the next star-of-the-week runner for the Broncos.

"I was ready last week," Dayne said. "I'm going to stay ready. I'll just do what I have to do in case something like that happens."

In Denver, it seems, there are only two kinds of running backs: those who have rushed for 1,000 yards for the Broncos and those who might do it next. Denver's running offence has produced a 1,000-yard rusher in nine of the last 10 seasons. The Broncos have ranked in the top five in rushing in eight of those 10 years.

It was no wonder that Bell, who entered training camp as the favourite to win the starter's position, was less than happy last week when asked about playing behind Anderson.

"Mike is starting. I go in when he comes out. That's all I know," Bell said. "I have to do what I'm asked. I never was on the sideline since my first year" at Oklahoma State.

On Wednesday, Bell ignored a reporter's request for an interview. Shanahan, meanwhile, offered only tepid support of last year's second-round draft pick.

"Tatum's done a pretty good job since he's been here," Shanahan said. "It's like all running backs. Until a guy's played consistently through a season, you really don't know."

Bell spent much of last season dealing with injuries. When healthy, he was good, rushing for 396 yards, an average of 5.3 yards a carry. When Anderson came out last week, Bell took his place and ran for 47 yards on 13 carries, including three rushes for minus-one yards on Denver's failed goal-line push at Miami in the second quarter of a 34-10 loss.

Bell is still listed as the first to relieve Anderson on Sunday against the Chargers, although Dayne figures to get a chance. He was left inactive last week in favour of Cecil Sapp, who can play special teams and also plays both running back positions.

"Hopefully, I'll get an opportunity to do it, and I'll do my best," Dayne said.

The irony of Dayne's situation is that, even though he's five-foot-10, 245 pounds, he did not establish himself as the bull many thought he might be in his five years with the New York Giants. He won the Heisman Trophy at Wisconsin in a system where he could slide down the line and pick his holes; it's much like the system Denver runs.

Whether his role is running between the 20s or near the goal line, Dayne said it was frustrating not being able to help against the Dolphins.

"That was the hardest part," Dayne said. "Not dressing didn't really hurt me, but not being able to help the team did."

I didn't have a chance to see that game, but he was hurt reaching back for the ball? How does that happen? Was it on the handoff from plummer? or was it a fumble...

Jake the snake in his press interview told the reporters that MA is the toughest guy he knows (typical) and he thinks he will play as long as thier is no risk of further injury.

Notebook: Anderson Gets Some WorkBy Andrew MasonDenverBroncos.comENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Mike Anderson didn't go through the full practice on Wednesday, but he did see some work during an afternoon practice session that kicked off the Broncos' preparations for the San Diego Chargers."He didn't take any reps with the offense; he ran a couple of plays on scout team," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He looked pretty good."Anderson is officially listed as questionable on the injury report, which was issued Wednesday afternoon."Hopefully there's no setback," Shanahan said, "but our plan is to try to practice him on Friday, and we'll wait and see how he does."

I asked one of the owners in my league (who has Bell, Anderson AND Dayne) if I wrote in "Terrell Davis" to my roster, would he trade me Jimmy Smith?

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos RB Mike Anderson (rib cartilage) did not practice Thursday, Sept. 15, as he was away from the team attending to personal business. He is expected to practice some no Friday, Sept. 16, to gauge his health.

Let's think about this. Anderson can't even sleep through the night without pain, how is he going to make it through a game?
C'mon, most NFL players suffer a lot of pain throughout the course of the season... and play through it... I've read biographies of players describing in agonizing detail just the effects of a turf burn let alone a serious injury... I think you'll find most NFL players have more than a few tough nights throughout the course of a season because of the pain they suffer... and yet still start every week.

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos RB Mike Anderson (rib cartilage) did not practice Thursday, Sept. 15, as he was away from the team attending to personal business. He is expected to practice some no Friday, Sept. 16, to gauge his health.
Yes, JU,He was attending a funeral today. That was why Shanahan said yesterday that we'd know more Friday - he knew he'd be out today. FWIW, my gut feel is he'll start this week.

J

Yes, JU,He was attending a funeral today. That was why Shanahan said yesterday that we'd know more Friday - he knew he'd be out today. FWIW, my gut feel is he'll start this week.

J
Hey Joe, where were you able to find that info? I've done searches to find out what his status was today, and wasn't able to find anything.. thanks..

J
WHAT?! HUH?! Now we have to leave links for gut feelings..... Here...Here are some gut feelings for ya...

http://poetry.rotten.com/tummy-tuck/0003/

Hey Joe, where were you able to find that info? I've done searches to find out what his status was today, and wasn't able to find anything.. thanks..

The bigger question, it seems to me, is whether people think Shanahan would start Mike Anderson if he WASN'T confident that Anderson could go the whole game.I'm assuming that if Anderson gets the start, Shanny will be confident that he go all 4 quarters. But I'm just not sure.

If he's able to practice today, he's probably in. If not, he'll be a GTD - at that point, don't count on him.Stay tuned ...

If he's able to practice today, he's probably in. If not, he'll be a GTD - at that point, don't count on him.

Stay tuned ...
This is one reason I've generally avoided Denver RBs, although I did end up with Droughns last year and Bell and Anderson in different leagues this year. I really hope Anderson plays as I need him more than Bell, but mostly I just want a decision before I head to church on Sunday.

J
Hi,I don't "find" info for a gut feel. I have them. They come from about 50 different factors from talking to people in the area, to knowing what I know of Anderson, to understanding the nature of the injury, to the game situation, to the team situation, to the roster situation. If I had to list them, it might be closer to 100.

Whenever it's just a "gut" feel, I'll tell you guys exactly that as I did above.

J

J
Hi,I don't "find" info for a gut feel. I have them. They come from about 50 different factors from talking to people in the area, to knowing what I know of Anderson, to understanding the nature of the injury, to the game situation, to the team situation, to the roster situation. If I had to list them, it might be closer to 100.

Whenever it's just a "gut" feel, I'll tell you guys exactly that as I did above.

J
FWIW, I agree with Joe's gut feel. I strongly suspect that Anderson gets the start. I don't know if he's good for 20+ carries, but I definitely think he'll get at least 10-15, including all of the meaningful (read: goal line) ones.

J

J
My question wasn't in regard to your gut feeling. I was just wondering how you knew he had a funeral to go to...

FWIW, I agree with Joe's gut feel. I strongly suspect that Anderson gets the start. I don't know if he's good for 20+ carries, but I definitely think he'll get at least 10-15, including all of the meaningful (read: goal line) ones.
That may be true, but is he worth a start here?1. He is banged up.

2. SD's 3-4 D shuts down the Broncos

3. Plummer will attack a suspect passing D.

All things considered, I say sit Anderson this week and ride him like a horse the rest of the year. Westbrook had the same type of injury a year back, and it took him 2 full games to get back into game shape.

Im an Anderson / Bell owner, and im starting TJ Housh in his place this week...

Per Denver Post, Bell may start even if Anderson can play this week...

link: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3033409
Anderson questionable

While Bailey returned Thursday, the status of tailback Mike Anderson was less clear after he was excused from practice to attend the funeral of his mother- in-law. Anderson, who suffered rib cartilage damage last week, was limited to scout-team work Wednesday.

Although it appears likely Anderson will be healthy enough to play, how much he plays could be a game-time decision. There is a chance Tatum Bell could start ahead of Anderson.
It would make sense that Anderson would be active, but that the Broncos would let him rest this week. Against SD, that might be the safest option. This way he hopefully comes back strong in Week 3.

Users who are viewing this thread