What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Mayock pre-draft conference call this Thursday at 1 p.m. Eastern (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

Mayock-fest. When Mike Mayock did his pre-Scouting Combine conference call with the media in February, he answered more than 150 questions from more than 180 reporters. The call took two-and-a-half hours. This week, on Thursday at 1 p.m. Eastern, he'll do his pre-draft conference call with reporters ... and NFL Network is going to stream it live on NFL.com. Go to nfl.com/mayockdraftcall to hear it Thursday, if you have quite a bit of time. You know Mayock. He never cheats you. I could listen to the guy all day, and sometimes do.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1...-stream-mike-mayocks-predraft-conference-call

NFL.com to live stream Mike Mayock's pre-draft conference call

For the first time, NFL.com will provide fans access to listen to NFL Network's Draft analyst Mike Mayock's conference call with the media for the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft.

Set to begin at 1 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 18, Mayock's pre-draft conference call with the media should draw more than 100 members of the media and last more than two hours.

Fans can log on to nfl.com/mayockdraftcall and listen while Mayock answers dozens of questions from the media about the 2013 NFL Draft.

The live streaming audio will be accompanied by highlight packages of draft prospects and graphics on NFL team needs.

Fans also can participate by tweeting questions to @InsideNFLMedia using #askMayock. The best questions will be selected and used during the conference call.

Following the conference call, audio clips will be available on NFL.com.

NFL Network provides approximately 70 hours of live "Draft Week" coverage from April 22 to April 27. Live coverage of the first round kicks off April 25 at 8: p.m. ET, followed by Rounds 2-3 on April 26 at 6:30 p.m. ET and Rounds 4-7 on April 27 at noon ET.

On April 24 at 8 p.m. ET on NFL Network, Mayock unveils his first -- and only -- mock draft of the year in a one-hour special, "Mayock's 2013 Mock Draft." On the eve of the 2013 NFL Draft from inside Radio City Music Hall in New York City, Mayock, along with Chris Rose, predicts how the first round of the draft will unfold and provides full analysis of each selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any FBG members or staff who will be following this conference call today?

I would appreciate it if anyone following this would post information here.

Philadelphia first pressure point for Lane Johnson at 4 if the first two tackles are gone / Little shot Lane Johnson makes it to Arizona.

No Cornerbacks in the top 10 he thinks.

I've really warmed up to Mayock.. used to not be much of a fan, but I really have come to like his prep work and am enjoying this conf call. I will be watching NFL network as my default draft channel this year..

I've really warmed up to Mayock.. used to not be much of a fan, but I really have come to like his prep work and am enjoying this conf call. I will be watching NFL network as my default draft channel this year..
Was wondering if anyone wanted to comment on Mayock's strengths and weaknesses as a draftnik. I'm planning on watching the draft this year and would appreciate any insights into what he does well and what he doesn't do as well so I can adjust my listening accordingly.

Thanks

Day 1, NFLN is the best. After that, if you want actual discussion about the players being drafted, you have to go to ESPN. There's no one on NFLN that knows anything about players beyond the top 100.

Was wondering if anyone wanted to comment on Mayock's strengths and weaknesses as a draftnik. I'm planning on watching the draft this year and would appreciate any insights into what he does well and what he doesn't do as well so I can adjust my listening accordingly.

Thanks
I switch in between, Day 1 is just personal preference. I hate the ESPN talking heads, and find the NFLN guys bearable.

When it's hardcore time, you want Kiper. When your team drafts in the 3rd or 4th round, and you want to hear anything about that guy, McShay and Mayock don't say a word. It's Kiper that actually discusses the players still going, while everyone else is still discussing the previous days' picks.

I don't have too much knowledge, but did a quick wiki search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mayock

Thanks

Thanks
I switch in between, Day 1 is just personal preference. I hate the ESPN talking heads, and find the NFLN guys bearable.

When it's hardcore time, you want Kiper. When your team drafts in the 3rd or 4th round, and you want to hear anything about that guy, McShay and Mayock don't say a word. It's Kiper that actually discusses the players still going, while everyone else is still discussing the previous days' picks.
i'm going to miss the first hour, and have to TIVO the start, gonna choose NFL network, because I had heard through Eisen's podcast, that they will not be filming the green room, so it'll be a true surprise and this draft looks like a fun first rd suprise wise..

but after 1st rd, i will need my Kiper fix, he is fun to watch for sure..

Why isn't the nfl.com/mayockdraftcall link working for me? I just get looped back around to the page that describes what it's all about. Anyone else having this issue?

Kenny Vaccaro makes sense to Pittsburgh along with Edge rushers (which i prefer to a wr, I would rather see them wait at wr).

Last edited by a moderator:
for the final question

phillip thomas best ball hawker satefy

dj hayden best ball hawker cornerback

and during that question a bunch of questions popped up

what should buffalo do?

tough spot / should have a qb conversation. No qb worthy of that spot.

should want a LT but probably not one available worthy of the spot

austin not a great fit because they have a returner

so best guard or edge rusher

by_the_sea_wannabe said:
No Cornerbacks in the top 10 he thinks.
Really? Seems like I'm hearing/seeing Milliner to Cleveland all over the place.
One other thing Mayock said was he cannot remember a draft with this much uncertainty at the top, and I couldn't agree more.

There is news now that the Chiefs are locked in with Joeckel, and that's great, but the Jags? The Raiders? The next two picks, and no one has a clue. It's really interesting.

Thanks to everyone who added information from the conference call into this thread. Here is a summary from NFL.com:

What we learned from Mike Mayock's conference call

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

We already told you about some of the headlines coming out of Mike Mayock's annual pre-draft conference call on Thursday. Mayock doesn't see a cornerback getting drafted in the top 10, and he moved Houston's D.J. Hayden to No. 1 on his cornerback draft board. But those were just a few nuggets from the two hour session ahead of next week's 2013 NFL Draft.

Here are the other best nuggets we learned from Mayock:

» Geno Smith to the Buffalo Bills? Don't bet on it:

"I don't think Geno Smith makes sense in Buffalo. I saw him play in cold weather in the bowl game, I saw him play in cold weather at Iowa State, and I don't see him fitting in an outdoor arena in Buffalo," Mayock said.

» Mayock said the Arizona Cardinals can't stay put if they want the third-best tackle in the draft.

"I have trouble seeing Lane Johnson getting to Arizona clearly."

Mayock said Johnson had the "freakiest" combine performance in the last 10 years. That's a good thing. He believe Johnson has unlimited upside.

» Miami (Ohio) quarterback Zac Dysert is expected to be drafted around the fourth round, according to Mayock. Oklahoma's Landry Jones also was mentioned as a fourth-rounder.

» Alabama's D.J. Fluker is a top-15 pick, according to Mayock. He doesn't think Fluker will even be there for the Miami Dolphins at No. 12. The San Diego Chargers, picking at No. 11, don't have a "starting tackle" on their roster, according to Mayock.

» Mayock sees Boise State cornerback Jamar Taylor as a "starting cornerback" in the NFL. Mayock sees him going in the second round.

» Syracuse's Ryan Nassib also was pegged as an early second-round pick. Mayock believes Nassib needs the right talent around him to start in the NFL.

» Georgia's Jarvis Jones and Texas A&M's Damontre Moore are two names to watch with the New Orleans Saints.

» On Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert: "I think interest in (Notre Dame TE) Tyler Eifert begins at 13 with Tampa Bay"

» On the draft's depth: "There's probably 25 to 35 more draftable players this year than last year. Most depth I've seen in a while."

» Mayock was asked what wide receiver he could see the Patriots take in the second or third round: Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins and USC's Robert Woods came up.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Users who are viewing this thread