What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Rumph and the Rams' FS? (1 Viewer)

grady

Footballguy
Mike Rumph? Yes, at least that is the latest I have heard.Rams? OJ Atogwe, but that is a guess at this point.

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
Is Mike Rumph starting at FS in SF? Who will line up as Rams' FS? Any information is much appreciated!
Rumpf is the starting FS.Hawthorne is the early leader for the Rams at FS. However, Atogwe should nab the job soon.

5Rings

Lurker
Is Mike Rumph starting at FS in SF? Who will line up as Rams' FS? Any information is much appreciated!
So it's not going to be Archuleta?
ARchuleta was moved back to SS to help stop the run. The Rams know Barlow is looming :P Yeah, Rumph is starting at FS. I just hope Steven Jax doesn't truck him again. :(

Gator Shawn

Footballguy
So it's not going to be Archuleta?
ARchuleta was moved back to SS to help stop the run. The Rams know Barlow is looming :P Yeah, Rumph is starting at FS. I just hope Steven Jax doesn't truck him again. :(
Damn, I had to submit keepers in one league before that decision was made....I opted not to keep Archuleta. At SS, I would have kept him. Ugh, oh well.

Bob Henry

Footballguy
Michael Hawthorne is listed as the starter currently though OJ Atogwe could unseat or push him before long. Every time of I see Hawthorne on the field it reminds me of one thing.. Packers/Eagles playoffs two years ago.. 4th and 26. Wooooomp... Freddie Mitchell, first down. Packers go down. Hawthorne was the one beaten on that play. Dunno why, just can't shake that connection.

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
i'm guessing ed donatell can't either. :)also, i wrote about rams safety situation in a recent post... and atogwe & carter are both in upcoming top 10 IDP rookie article (DB) which should be up soon... though, if i had do-over, i might bump carter out (for redraft... i still think he is solid dynasty prospect... isaac bruce was on nfl total access yesterday & when asked for two up 'n coming youngsters mentioned kevin curtis on offense & carter on defense)... i think atogwe is more likely to start this season, but if archuleta can't recover from herniated disc or looks like he lost something, all bets are off... atogwe is very bright, and might have advantage in learning intricacies of marmie's system initially, but should be less of a factor by next season, maybe earlier. it is possible carter & atogwe are starting tandem in 2006...per do-over (incomplete thought above :) ), it looks like kerry rhodes may be starting SS for jets... he is great athlete who is about 6'2" 210, runs a 4.4 & has 42" vertical... cousin of portland trailblazer center & outstanding shotblocker theo ratliff... from earlier post..."...though archuleta might still be pretty iffy. b4, when arch was at SS, it looked like atogwe was guy to get... now we seem to be back to that... though there was blurb at kffl that hawthorne was now favorite to start at FS. not sure if atogwe starts right away, or in-season or next year, but he seems more talented... guys like hawthorne & stone seem like jouneyman types who were valued partly because DC marmie & DB coach schottenheimer new of them from prior stints at ARI & GB.marmie's defense is supposedly more complicated than lovie smith's, so it is possible that the rookies aren't a good fit right away, or even at all this year. than again, atogwe is a bright guy who majored in biological systems at stanford, & studies subjects like cellular signaling. i suspet atogwe will see field sooner than later, but stanford graduated late & he is behind on reps. it also didn't help that they wasted time with arch at FS when they could have been giving reps to someone else.archuleta is in a walk year next season i am pretty sure. with his back, neck & spine health in question (might be big shot away from retirement or extended absence?), obviously we would expect them to take wait & see with him. if he looks great & all the way back, maybe they will try & sign him to long term extension.the fact that they drafted two safeties & a CB (bartell) that can play safety, brought in stone & hawthorne in FA, converted WR furrey to safety... could all be for the one safety position opened with aeneas injury & expected retirement (he still hasn't, but it would seem a little late to come back now... this season, at least)... or for depth... their secondary has been crushed with injuries past couple seasons.but it reminds me of when PHI drafted sheppard, michael lewis & sheldon brown a few seasons before they knew they would almost certainly be parting with vincent & taylor.it may be that they are preparing for life after archuleta. so it is possible that atogwe could start this season, & carter could join him next... maybe sooner, as no guarantee his back holds out.some of this is speculative (except arch contract status), & part about drafting & otherwise bringing in cast of thousands at safety is inferential argument, so take for what it is worth.it really can't be anything but speculative as we haven't seen arch play much... that in itself could be interpreted as bad sign, but he did have bad injury, maybe fact that he pure rehabbed instead of surgery delayed recovery?i have a feeling one of rookies will be starting by end of season... if arch muddles thru at SS, it will likely be atogwe. but it won't surprise me to see both of them by 2006.safeties don't usually go in first round (boulware, sanders, sean jones, pool, bullocks & collins all went in second round past two seasons), so a high third & fourth on atogwe & carter is reasonably high investment in a pick... they certainly are not so deep that they couldn't have used those picks elsewhere (or at least one of them... S & RT were consensus two most glaring needs... they tried to trade up to get thomas davis & were rebuffed... i think cost was a second or third to move up few slots... as rams fan, i am glad barron fell to them unexpectedly)...BTW, after looking good initially, i was hearing that carter had regressed & was looking overwhelmed... these same reports suggested, though, that he seemed to be having hard time grasping the defense... he seems to have good tools, physical skills, athleticism, no doubt is tough... so maybe when things slow down (later this season, next season?) he should be fine. little i saw on film his first step, reflexes, read & reaction seemed just a hair slow... almost imperceptible but i was looking carefully... plus it was at time i was preparing FBG Rookie IDP (DB) article and was watching a lot of davis, rolle, jackson, pool, rogers... i suppose a lot of SSs would suffer in comparison with CBs & FSs.when i looked at his bio, it did look like he had injury history (i don't recall exactly, but i think he had both shoulders worked on at FSU)."

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread