What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Wallace could he leave if Pitt doesn't step up? (1 Viewer)

Let me just add, there is no injustice going on in this situation. Whether it's the Steelers with Wallace, the Texans with Foster, or the Bears with Forte... they've had exclusive negotiating rights all of this time and didn't get a deal done.

Even after that, they can stick the RFA tender or a tag on the player. His only option then to get a salary beyond what the team may offer in a multi-year deal (if they offer one at all) is to turn to another team who may be willing to give up the draft picks to get him.

The original team has had all the advantage all along here. There is no reason they need further protection or the ability to be able to completely recraft the offer another team gives him. If a Wallace wants to stay with the Steelers, he can take that offer from the Pats, go back to the Steelers without signing it and say, "Here's what they offered me... if you offer me a contract that matches it but structured in a way to work for you, then I'll stay with you." This is exactly why few teams even bother to negotiate with RFAs or tagged players, because that is what will happen unless the player actually wants to leave, in which case the original team will probably just match the terms unless they can't.

If the original team let things get to this point, they really aren't deserving of much sympathy if another team is willing to step up and do in a few days of negotiating what the original team wasn't willing to give the player in months or years of time they had exclusive rights.

I don't know if anyone posted this or not yet but, His twitter page as of earlier today says Black and Gold.

Thought this article brought us some good points.

Can Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Mike Wallace?

Published on February 22, 2012 by Rob Kelley · 1 Comment

The Pittsburgh Steelers are facing severe salary cap issues as they prepare to enter the free agency frenzy of the 2012 NFL offseason. They have many aging players with bad contracts, and it will be awfully difficult for them to clear enough cap space while moving forward to bring in some key impact players. Unfortunately, some of their past bad signings may force them to lose restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has arguably been the team’s best offensive weapon over the past two seasons.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told sources that due to the team’s extreme financial constraints, they would not be re-signing any of their own free agents before they can hit the open market on March 13, including Wallace. If Pittsburgh slapped Wallace with the franchise tag, it would cost the team $13.7 million for Wallace with the tag, as well as counting roughly $9 million against the salary cap in 2012. While many say that the Steelers cannot afford to lose Wallace to another team, they may find it almost impossible to find a way to afford to keep him in black and gold going forward.

Even after restructuring a few deals of current players under contract, Pittsburgh is still approximately $10 million over the cap. While they will continue to try and rework a few more deasl from now until when free agency begins, it may not be enough to keep Wallace. They have until March 3 to apply the franchise tag to Wallace.

It appears most likely that the team will allow Wallace to test free agency and see what type of offer he receives. If a team offers a contract, Pittsburgh can match any deal. If they allow him to leave, however, they would receive a first round draft pick as compensation from the team who signs him away from the team’s tender. And if the team who signs Wallace had a decent season in 2011, then the first round pick that the Steelers would receive in the 2012 NFL Draft would likely not be a high one, or at least not in the top 15 or 20. A team in the top 5 of the draft likely would not go after Wallace and risk losing a great pick, especially since they may be able to draft a player such as Justin Blackmon out of Oklahoma State.

If a team offers Wallace a contract that is front loaded, it would be nearly impossible for the Steelers to retain him. They would have to pay him a big bonus up front, in all likelihood, to match another team’s offer. Rumors are already surfacing that two teams within Pittsburgh’s own division could go after Wallace, knowing full well that the Steelers would struggle to match a deal. The Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals could not only improve their team by signing Wallace, but they could hurt the chances of the Steelers going forward.

That is what you call a win-win in the NFL.

Other teams who may express interest in acquiring Wallace include the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers. Neither team picks higher than the No. 27 spot in the 2012 NFL Draft, meaning they would be very likely to give up that pick for obtaining Wallace. Other teams could certainly use an upgrade at the wide receiver position, including the Washington Redskins, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins and Carolina Panthers, but with all four teams possessing a top 10 pick, it is unlikely that they would tender Wallace an offer and give up a high draft pick.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Is Mike Wallace the same without Big BenI think Big Ben can replace Wallace with Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and (insert fast guy they draft this year)
I think a better question is will A.brown be the saem without Mike Wallace getting all the attention on the other side?

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Is Mike Wallace the same without Big BenI think Big Ben can replace Wallace with Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and (insert fast guy they draft this year)
I think a better question is will A.brown be the saem without Mike Wallace getting all the attention on the other side?
Good point BSSI think Antonio Brown would struggle vs Double coverage. But not against top tier DB's. When he scored that long touchdown at the end of the game vs the Browns. It was Joe Haden he had on him. So Brown was already drawing some good corners.

'Greg Russell said:
Let me just add, there is no injustice going on in this situation. Whether it's the Steelers with Wallace, the Texans with Foster, or the Bears with Forte... they've had exclusive negotiating rights all of this time and didn't get a deal done.

Even after that, they can stick the RFA tender or a tag on the player. His only option then to get a salary beyond what the team may offer in a multi-year deal (if they offer one at all) is to turn to another team who may be willing to give up the draft picks to get him.

The original team has had all the advantage all along here. There is no reason they need further protection or the ability to be able to completely recraft the offer another team gives him. If a Wallace wants to stay with the Steelers, he can take that offer from the Pats, go back to the Steelers without signing it and say, "Here's what they offered me... if you offer me a contract that matches it but structured in a way to work for you, then I'll stay with you." This is exactly why few teams even bother to negotiate with RFAs or tagged players, because that is what will happen unless the player actually wants to leave, in which case the original team will probably just match the terms unless they can't.

If the original team let things get to this point, they really aren't deserving of much sympathy if another team is willing to step up and do in a few days of negotiating what the original team wasn't willing to give the player in months or years of time they had exclusive rights.
This isn't any different than an UFA contract. Teams usually don't bother with RFA's since the current team can normally match whatever offer they make, even if the player wants to leave. This is a unique situation where the current team cannot match the contract.

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Last updated: 1:52 pm

In-depth Steelers

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace and the Steelers are working hard to get a deal done before the start of free agency, but the receiver admits that he very well could be with another team next year.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio this afternoon, Wallace said that he would love to stay with the Steelers, but knows that might not be in the best interests of both parties involved.

"(Pittsburgh is) where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace said. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

Wallace said that the Steelers and his agent, Bus Cook, have been in working on a contract extension.

"Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation," Wallace said. "I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We`ll see."

Wallace is a restricted free agent and the Steelers have until March 5 to place the franchise tag on him worth more than $9 million for 2012.

With the Steelers currently at least $5 million over the projected salary cap, it is unlikely they will be able to free up enough money in time to use the franchise tag.

As a restricted free agent, the Steelers could also place a high tender on Wallace, but other teams could offer him a contract that the Steelers might not be able to match because of their current salary cap situation. The Steelers would receive a first-round draft pick if Wallace is signed by another team.

Free agency starts March 13.

One more WR that wouldn't cost a 1st rounder:

Laurent Robinson - WR - Cowboys

NEWS: The Cowboys cannot re-sign free agent Laurent Robinson before the market opens on March 13 because he played for a "minimum salary benefit" in 2011.

ANALYSIS:  The sides can talk, but Robinson can't sign on the dotted line until free agency begins.  The salary benefit allowed Robinson to count $463,000 against last year's cap despite his $685,000 salary.  The Titans have the same dilemma with free agent S Jordan Babineaux.  This may increase the chances that Robinson signs elsewhere, especially if he likes what he sees on the market.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is doing his part to help the team get under the 2012 salary cap. The Pro Bowler joined linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley and cornerback Ike Taylor in restructuring his contract to make sure the perennial AFC contenders get under the cap by March 13.

This is the second time in six months Roethlisberger has reworked the eight-year, $102 million deal he signed in 2008. The new contract doesn't affect the money or length of the deal but gives the Steelers some much needed cap relief. Roethlisberger was scheduled to make $11.6 million in 2012 but the new deal will save the Steelers several million next season.

The team hopes to use some of the money freed up by restructuring to address the contract status of wide receiver Mike Wallace, who will be a restricted free agent. General manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday in Indianapolis that he believes Wallace, elected to his first Pro Bowl this season, will remain with the team. "We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said, "and I'm confident Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers."
link

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is doing his part to help the team get under the 2012 salary cap. The Pro Bowler joined linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley and cornerback Ike Taylor in restructuring his contract to make sure the perennial AFC contenders get under the cap by March 13.

This is the second time in six months Roethlisberger has reworked the eight-year, $102 million deal he signed in 2008. The new contract doesn't affect the money or length of the deal but gives the Steelers some much needed cap relief. Roethlisberger was scheduled to make $11.6 million in 2012 but the new deal will save the Steelers several million next season.

The team hopes to use some of the money freed up by restructuring to address the contract status of wide receiver Mike Wallace, who will be a restricted free agent. General manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday in Indianapolis that he believes Wallace, elected to his first Pro Bowl this season, will remain with the team. "We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said, "and I'm confident Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers."
link
I'm not. Wallace's comments didn't strike me as those of a guy determined to stay in Pittsburgh. There's always a chance he stays but I think he would jump at a deal with the Patriots.

link
I'm not. Wallace's comments didn't strike me as those of a guy determined to stay in Pittsburgh. There's always a chance he stays but I think he would jump at a deal with the Patriots.
He very well might if it ever came to that point, which it won't.He will play out C2 as a Steeler whether by virtue of a tag or a signing.

I believe he will be gone. Pitt is cap strapped and even with some restructuring, Wallace will get a bigger payday elsewhere.

GONE

I believe he will be gone. Pitt is cap strapped and even with some restructuring, Wallace will get a bigger payday elsewhere.

GONE
They just freed up 8 mil by restructuring Ben's contract. Its clear they're going to go all-out and do whatever it takes to keep him.

The team hopes to use some of the money freed up by restructuring to address the contract statusof wide receiver Mike Wallace, who will be a restricted free agent. General manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday in Indianapolis that he believes Wallace, elected to his first Pro Bowl this season, will remain with the team. "We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said, "and I'm

confident Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers."
link
Time will tell but to me those comments read only that Wallace wants a big deal, not a one year restricted FA tender.

GONE
They just freed up 8 mil by restructuring Ben's contract. Its clear they're going to go all-out and do whatever it takes to keep him.
They had to do that (and more) just to get under the cap. So they had to do that whether they keep Wallace or not.
correct. And I believe that they're STILL OVER the cap at this point. It's going to take more work just to get under... they can't even afford to tag Wallace.

If I was a team that is going to pull the trigger here, make a heavily front loaded deal (13/7/8/8 with a bonus).

/Hawk Harrelson mode

He gone.

Hawk Harrelson mode/

'_lurker_ said:
'BeTheMatch said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
'Ron_Mexico said:

GONE
They had to do that (and more) just to get under the cap. So they had to do that whether they keep Wallace or not.
correct. And I believe that they're STILL OVER the cap at this point. It's going to take more work just to get under... they can't even afford to tag Wallace.
They are 2 mil under after Ben's restructure if the cap is as projected, with Aaron Smith, Kemo, Ward, and Foote all coming off the books shortly to the tune of another 10.5ish mil.They'll have room to tag him if they choose to. Renegotiate with Casey, restructure Troy/Harrison, cut Farrior...there's more room there as needed.

They've cleared nearly 30mil from the 2012 cap and only cut Arnaz Battle and Bryant McFadden...they know what they are doing.

Wallace will either play out C2 with the Steelers or hit UFA in 2014 ala Finley. Either way he'll be a Steeler for at least a couple more years. It's not even in doubt.

@DVEMike: Colbert comments on 17 _ "ultimately, it's our call" _ a shot across rest of the NFL's bow. Lack of definitive comment on 86 also revealing

@DVEMike: Colbert comments on 17 _ "ultimately, it's our call" _ a shot across rest of the NFL's bow. Lack of definitive comment on 86 also revealing
Exactly. Because they ultimately know they will have room to tag him in addition to signing their own ERFAs, other RFAs, their own UFAs, and their rooks.A combination of the names mentioned plus I'm sure a better grip on what the cap actually gets set at will give them plenty of space to do business as usual.Mike will be in a sign or get tagged position.

Pretty much. The Roeth re-structure almost seals that deal on Wallace for '12. He's not going anyplace for at least another year, if not two.

There's still a bunch of "dead contracts" on their docket that can be cleared out or re-worked to allow them to put the franchise tag on him, if they wanted(though I wouldn't. Keep that for next year and just prepare to match all comers this offseason if he refuses to sign a long-term deal....which I expect he will. Can make more as a UFA in '13. If someone wants to go absolutely bats@$t crazy and give him 11-12 million a year for '12 then adios, Mike). They aren't going to have Hampton at almost 9 mil against the cap coming off a third knee surgery, Smith is almost a lock to retire, Harrison has stated he will re-structure, Farrior will either retire or be cut, etc. etc. Even if they decided to keep Farrior, they could release Foote and save basically the same amount of cap dollars. Johnathan Scott is another guy whose salary is probably better served being used somewhere else if he isn't starting(which he won't be), so that's another 2 mil+ they can save vs. the cap if he's released. The aforementioned Kemoeatu is a dead man walking too. His salary can probably pay for the entire rookie class this year. Add that to the fact that he's about as sharp as a bag of wet mice, was benched twice in '12(and only got back into the lineup because of injuries) and now has a potentially chronic knee issue of his own....nice knowin' ya Chris.

I've believed from the start this whole "Mike's going to the highest bidder!!" was pretty much a non-issue, or perhaps a scare tactic driven by Wallace's agent. The cap is a joke and is easily manipulated by teams every single offseason. When's the last time any team lost one of their really important RFA's because of cap ramifications?

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is this? They can make room now for Wallace. But what will they do when Antonio Brown is a UFA next year?
I would think they can do similar restructuring next season, especially if the cap will be going up 15-20% in 2014. Push the 2013 cap hits back over the remaining years of big contracts. Really just requires them to have enough cash on hand to turn salaries into signing bonuses.

My question is this? They can make room now for Wallace. But what will they do when Antonio Brown is a UFA next year?
This season will be his 3rd.Under the current (2011) CBA, there were several items altered:[37]

Free agency guidelines returned to the way they were from 1993 to 2009. This means that a player needs four years of experience to become an unrestricted free agent, and three years of experience for restricted free agency.

ClaytonESPN John Clayton

The Steelers are confident they aren't going to lose Mike Wallace. He's a restricted free agent with first-round compensation
General manager Kevin Colbert said he is confident Wallace, a third-year veteran, isn't going anywhere.

I've believed from the start this whole "Mike's going to the highest bidder!!" was pretty much a non-issue, or perhaps a scare tactic driven by Wallace's agent. The cap is a joke and is easily manipulated by teams every single offseason. When's the last time any team lost one of their really important RFA's because of cap ramifications?
I didnt hear what player it was for, but heard its been a decade since any team lost a RFA, although this is the first time the compensation is only a 1st and not a 1st and 3rd.

Agree with the current consensus that Wallace will be staying after Roeth restructured a couple days ago. Colbert said that Hampton will be back next year, so the other handful of guys mentioned all need to go. I will be glad to have Wallace back, but only for a good price (under $8M or so). Otherwise, I think it would be best to let him walk if another team outbids that. I would actually welcome him leaving if a top 10-12 drafting team were to make the offer, I would be much less than enthralled if a 20+ picking team were to aquire him, and downright angry if an AFC contender or divisional rival got him.

With AB and Sanders being RFA's next year, I also think it would be somewhat of a blessing in disguise to have Wallace go (& get a #1) to see what both of them can do without Wallace carrying downfield coverage away from them.

With that in mind, Id also like for them to sign Wallace for at least 2 years if he does resign here so all 3 WRs arent FA's next offseason.

If I was a team that is going to pull the trigger here, make a heavily front loaded deal (13/7/8/8 with a bonus).
except that PIT can offer Wallace a similar contract that works for PIT. Nothing is definitive until Wallace formally agrees to a specific contract.
Like I've said, if Wallace wants to stay he'll stay. If he wants to go there's nothing they can do about it.
If they franchise tag him, Wallace or any other team are powerless.

except that PIT can offer Wallace a similar contract that works for PIT. Nothing is definitive until Wallace formally agrees to a specific contract.
Like I've said, if Wallace wants to stay he'll stay. If he wants to go there's nothing they can do about it.
Yep.So there is plenty they can do about it. They don't even foresee needing to franchise him.

Pretty sure he doesnt want to go, he wants to get paid as much as possible.

I agree and if the Steelers really want to keep him they can. However they will have to decide if what could be a one year rental is worth the $9.5M salary this year. I think they will take their chances and not franchise him, hoping he'll let them work out a deal equal to whatever he's offered on the open market. Ultimately I believe it will be up to Wallace where he wants to play.

I didnt hear what player it was for, but heard its been a decade since any team lost a RFA, although this is the first time the compensation is only a 1st and not a 1st and 3rd.
Steve Hutchinson was 6 years ago.

And everyone saying they can change the contract Wallace would be offered is wrong. They have to match the offer sheet exactly. If he accepts an offer that includes a $15 million dollar roster bonus for the first year, Pittsburgh can't change that into a signing bonus instead. So, they would still be very vulnerable to a team swooping in if they don't franchise him.

And everyone saying they can change the contract Wallace would be offered is wrong. They have to match the offer sheet exactly. If he accepts an offer that includes a $15 million dollar roster bonus for the first year, Pittsburgh can't change that into a signing bonus instead. So, they would still be very vulnerable to a team swooping in if they don't franchise him.
Again, Wallace has to ACCEPT the offer. He could very well go back to PIT and say, "hey, I want a $15mil signing bonus since cash is cash and I don't care if it's a signing bonus or a roster bonus."So they can change the offer.

PIT is not vulnerable to another team, just to the whims of Wallace.

Put it this way... what teams would Wallace rather play for than PIT if the cash was identical?

Again, Wallace has to ACCEPT the offer. He could very well go back to PIT and say, "hey, I want a $15mil signing bonus since cash is cash and I don't care if it's a signing bonus or a roster bonus."So they can change the offer.

Put it this way... what teams would Wallace rather play for than PIT if the cash was identical?
What makes you think that any team lets his agent leave their building with that offer unsigned? Let's take a little bit of a reality check. Wallace could come in and say "New England offered me a 7 year, 80 million dollar contract with 45 million in guarantees!". Pittsburgh isn't giving him that without proof and NE wouldn't provide it.Oh and he'll go to whatever team offers him the most money. If that's Pittsburgh, then that's where he'll be. Don't make the mistake of thinking an NFL player's loyalty extends past his wallet. Pittsburgh needs to franchise him if they want to guarantee he's back next season.

What makes you think that any team lets his agent leave their building with that offer unsigned? Let's take a little bit of a reality check. Wallace could come in and say "New England offered me a 7 year, 80 million dollar contract with 45 million in guarantees!". Pittsburgh isn't giving him that without proof and NE wouldn't provide it.Oh and he'll go to whatever team offers him the most money. If that's Pittsburgh, then that's where he'll be. Don't make the mistake of thinking an NFL player's loyalty extends past his wallet. Pittsburgh needs to franchise him if they want to guarantee he's back next season.
Proof really isn't important - what matters is whether he is worth to the Steelers what the agent is claiming the deal is and they can structure a comparable deal for him. I don't see the advantage his agent would get from lying about a prospective deal.

I am not sure who Wallace's agent is but I really doubt that they would just make up an offer as a negotiating tactic. They would look really bad if the Steelers called his bluff and Wallace ends up signing a significantly less contract with New England (or some other team). An agent pulling something like that would probably not be in business too long.

I believe his agent is Bus Cook.But yeah, I doubt even the worst agent would think it was a good idea to falsify offers.
IIRC, the "matching" part of tenders involves the second team literally signing the player to a contract that would be filed with the league. That contract would then be forward to the player's original team to match. I do not see any wriggle room for anyone falsifying offers. Either the player is signed to a tender contract or he's not.

I believe his agent is Bus Cook.But yeah, I doubt even the worst agent would think it was a good idea to falsify offers.
IIRC, the "matching" part of tenders involves the second team literally signing the player to a contract that would be filed with the league. That contract would then be forward to the player's original team to match. I do not see any wriggle room for anyone falsifying offers. Either the player is signed to a tender contract or he's not.
You're right, but I imagine there would be offers before anything is signed. Those are what the agent could take to the Steelers to negotiate with them.

You're right, but I imagine there would be offers before anything is signed. Those are what the agent could take to the Steelers to negotiate with them.
Right, that is the thought behind it. He gets the detailed offer but doesn't sign it yet, and tells the Steelers here are the basic terms they'll have to match to keep him from signing it.Now that said, I would imagine there can be negative repercussions of doing so. The other team isn't likely to negotiate out the details of an offer unless they think he's negotiating in good faith and will sign it at the end.If the agent represents things that way but then they take the unsigned terms to Pittsburgh it'll look like they never planned to sign it. Is it worth it to Cook to create bad blood with a team he'll need to negotiate with later on behalf of other clients? And when it comes to competing for incoming rookies, will other agents be able to use it as a story that teams don't trust Cook as much?Maybe it wouldn't be an issue to him in the end, but I don't think it should be something Cook should be willing to do lightly, either. I could though see them pinging other teams on rough terms but not wasting their time in hashing out an actual offer sheet, before going back to Pittsburgh.

(KFFL) The Pittsburgh Steelers are not expected to place the franchise tag on restricted free-agent WR Mike Wallace this offseason but are expected to tender him a contract at the first-round level.

Users who are viewing this thread