What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Sports Fans - Who Has It Worse Than Them? (1 Viewer)

man i agree minnesotans are good people they just cant catch a break and they need one with everything they have against them look im with you but one thing i am sure of is that every minnesota drivers ed course must teach them to do exactly the speed limit in the fast lane and never speed up or move over if i was a cop i would arrest like 90 percent of the st paul crowd for impeding traffic it would also be awesome and the best thing of all is that no minnesotan would ever try to get away they would just pull over and do that whole minnesota confused thing like they just cant imagine why anyone would be mad that they were doing exactly the speed limit its great take that to the bank brohans
Dude, Wisconsin drivers drive below the speed limit in the left hand lane.

But yeah, Minnesota and Wisconsin drivers are the worst I've seen in terms of efficiency.

I think it's worse to actually have hope (0-4 in Super Bowls, 1998, 2009 etc) and get kicked in the nuggets than just being hopeless. I am speaking only from the Viking fan perspective rather than the entire Minnesota experience.
When the Bills kicked the crap out of Oakland 51-3 in the AFC Championship, before losing to the NFC again, I do not remember feeling better that at least we didn't lose in the Super Bowl. I will trade years of futility for the Jim Kelly Bills, all day long

man i agree minnesotans are good people they just cant catch a break and they need one with everything they have against them look im with you but one thing i am sure of is that every minnesota drivers ed course must teach them to do exactly the speed limit in the fast lane and never speed up or move over if i was a cop i would arrest like 90 percent of the st paul crowd for impeding traffic it would also be awesome and the best thing of all is that no minnesotan would ever try to get away they would just pull over and do that whole minnesota confused thing like they just cant imagine why anyone would be mad that they were doing exactly the speed limit its great take that to the bank brohans
Wrongo!!! That's Iowa, friend.
I got a speeding ticket for 5 mph over in Des Moines. On I-80!

Cleveland...**** off, y'all playing for 2nd place

YOU WON AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP LIKE 4 YEARS AGO. SIT DOWN.

And you have Ohio State somewhere in that state and they're at least a better pro team than the Browns.
I'll allow this.

As far as the NBA Championship goes it was special but I'm a die hard Browns fan, followed by the Indians and then a distant third to the Cav's. I would argue that the collective disappoint generated from the first two far outweigh any good the championship the third brought to the table. And it was quickly followed by the hired gun leaving AGAIN almost immediately after so yet another kick in the balls on the way out the door.

Cleveland...**** off, y'all playing for 2nd place

YOU WON AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP LIKE 4 YEARS AGO. SIT DOWN.

And you have Ohio State somewhere in that state and they're at least a better pro team than the Browns.
I'll allow this.

As far as the NBA Championship goes it was special but I'm a die hard Browns fan, followed by the Indians and then a distant third to the Cav's. I would argue that the collective disappoint generated from the first two far outweigh any good the championship the third brought to the table. And it was quickly followed by the hired gun leaving AGAIN almost immediately after so yet another kick in the balls on the way out the door.
This is exactly the way I feel. That said, we did win a championship. Although not much of an NBA fan, I found myself with my 2 kids standing there on the corner of Lakeside and E. 9th for the celebratory parade simply because I figure it very well may be the only one to happen in my lifetime.

Out-of-state plates in Iowa = guaranteed speeding ticket.

The strange thing is that the Minneapolis/St. Paul pro sports teams purport to cover the entire state in their misery, rather than just isolating it to their city.

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota United FC

Does any other state do this to this extent? If I lived someplace like Rochester or Duluth I'd be pissed - keep yer crappy franchises to yourself.

The strange thing is that the Minneapolis/St. Paul pro sports teams purport to cover the entire state in their misery, rather than just isolating it to their city.

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota United FC

Does any other state do this to this extent? If I lived someplace like Rochester or Duluth I'd be pissed - keep yer crappy franchises to yourself.
Never really thought about it but they are the only state named teams by and large. There are a couple stragglers (California Angels that changed, and Florida Marlins that changed). New York could be contributed to the city rather than the state. The Washington teams aren't even for the state but for the D.C.

Hmmmmm. I think this puts Minnesota over the top for misery. They are infecting the entire state whether you want to be part of it or not. Nobody else does this.

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota United FC

Never really thought about it but they are the only state named teams by and large. There are a couple stragglers (California Angels that changed, and Florida Marlins that changed). New York could be contributed to the city rather than the state. The Washington teams aren't even for the state but for the D.C.

Hmmmmm. I think this puts Minnesota over the top for misery. They are infecting the entire state whether you want to be part of it or not. Nobody else does this.
Believe me, the outrage would be FIERCE if they didn't include everyone. It's a Minnesota thing.

On the bright side the Twins get the Royals for the first three games. So you will be undefeated come Monday.

Things are looking up!

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota United FC

Arizona Cardinals
Golden State Warriors
regional - New England Patriots

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota United FC

Believe me, the outrage would be FIERCE if they didn't include everyone. It's a Minnesota thing.
Not exactly. The Metro wants to include everyone do they can tax Outstate with the message of "Hey, this belongs to you and is therefore your responsibility too!"

There's a growing Us versus Them sentiment between people that live in the MSP Metro area and everyone else.

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota United FC

Not exactly. The Metro wants to include everyone do they can tax Outstate with the message of "Hey, this belongs to you and is therefore your responsibility too!"

There's a growing Us versus Them sentiment between people that live in the MSP Metro area and everyone else.
Sure, but not when it comes to the sports teams

Minnesota Vikings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Minnesota Wild
Minnesota United FC

Arizona Cardinals
Arizona Diamondbacks

Me: I have it the worst

Vikings
White Sox (hey - at least we got 2005)
Purdue Football
Purdue Basketball

Me: I have it the worst

Vikings
White Sox (hey - at least we got 2005)
Purdue Football
Purdue Basketball

And now you live in a city with a basketball team that hasn't won a title since 1977 and is perpetually stuck in no-man's land because they are just good enough not to land a high-end lottery pick but not good enough to get past the 1st round of the playoffs (if they make it at all) and have squandered the prime of the greatest player the franchise has ever had.

Oh, and as soon as Paul Allen's sinister sister sells the team, the new owners will move the Blazers out of this state to one that has more favorable taxes and will be more attractive to free agents (who are NEVER coming to Portland).

I didn't even know that Minnesota had an MLS team.
they are relatively new in the expansion cycle, they came in with Atlanta.

From afar they seem to be quite popular up there. I think they have sold out most non covid games since they came into the league.

I didn't even know that Minnesota had an MLS team.
they are relatively new in the expansion cycle, they came in with Atlanta.

From afar they seem to be quite popular up there. I think they have sold out most non covid games since they came into the league.
I haven't been there but apparently the stadium is nice. Don't know why they built it where they did though. Not a great part of St Paul.

Atlanta deserves at least a mention:
  • Hawks 55 years - no finals appearances
  • Falcons - 56 years - no championships - two Super Bowl losses, including maybe the worst choke ever
  • Lost two different hockey teams
  • Braves - two titles after the recent one but in fairness, a lot of playoff baseball the last 30 years. Also, totally sucked for first 25 years
  • Atlanta United - one title in seven years but mostly positive
So, 3 titles in about 200 total seasons. Not great - probably puts us top 5.

Atlanta deserves at least a mention:
  • Hawks 55 years - no finals appearances
  • Falcons - 56 years - no championships - two Super Bowl losses, including maybe the worst choke ever
  • Lost two different hockey teams
  • Braves - two titles after the recent one but in fairness, a lot of playoff baseball the last 30 years. Also, totally sucked for first 25 years
  • Atlanta United - one title in seven years but mostly positive
So, 3 titles in about 200 total seasons. Not great - probably puts us top 5.

That's pretty solid, especially when you factor in the 28-3 collapse on the Super Bowl a few years ago.

Still, the Braves brought you to the promise land at a time when you could legally drink at a bar to celebrate the accomplishment. Not sure how many Minnesotans were drinking legally at bars in 1991 to celebrate.

One of the NFL’s most historic teams straight up left the city and won a Super Bowl in Baltimore. Before they left, they lost playoff games in such catastrophic fashion that the games were named things (The Fumble. The Drive.) Their best chance at a World Series was wiped out by a strike before they finally made it and lost to the most cursed team in the history of sports. Their one NBA title was led by a legend who bolted on the city twice. That last thing wouldn’t come close to being enough to cover the rest. I’m not even a Cleveland fan but you have to feel for them.

Out-of-state plates in Iowa = guaranteed speeding ticket.
Yeah, a lot of states have lower thresholds for ticketing visiting speeders, but 5 mph on the highway is absurd. Just one more reason to avoid stumbling into that 2-dimensional wasteland, I guess.

One of the NFL’s most historic teams straight up left the city and won a Super Bowl in Baltimore. Before they left, they lost playoff games in such catastrophic fashion that the games were named things (The Fumble. The Drive.) Their best chance at a World Series was wiped out by a strike before they finally made it and lost to the most cursed team in the history of sports. Their one NBA title was led by a legend who bolted on the city twice. That last thing wouldn’t come close to being enough to cover the rest. I’m not even a Cleveland fan but you have to feel for them.
You forgot "Red Right 88" :crying: and we can throw in "The Shot" for the Cavs.

On the bright side the Twins get the Royals for the first three games. So you will be undefeated come Monday.

Things are looking up!
Hey, I like the Royals roster. I think they will surprise some people this year. They are building a nice young nucleus and they should be fun to watch.
Isn't this said every year about the Royals?
I don’t say it.

Royals are gonna lose 100 again.

Buffalo, Cincinnati, San Diego have all gone longer without a major league championship.
My favorite Super Bowl would involve one of those vs. Detroit.

No North American team franchise has gone longer without advancing in the playoffs longer than the Detroit Lions; Jan 1992 was their last playoff win. That's for any NFL playoff win or winning a series in the other major sports.

12 Longest Active Playoff Droughts

Top two are Jets at 12 years, and Sabres at 11 years. The Lions and Red Wings are both on the list (6 years) along with the Tigers (8 years.) No other city appears on the list more than once.

The only Detroit franchise not on that list, the Pistons, holds the worst record in the NBA rn. Previous year - 29th out of 30. 2020-21: also 29th. In the Covid season, 26th.

If we are going entire history, I think Minnesota wins pretty easily. If we go more recent, then Michigan is the winner. We haven't had a playoff win, not series, just a single win in like 7 years.
Lions, Pistons, Wings and Tigers the last 5 years is pretty grim.

Also UM lost a playoff game to a team who then lost their subsequent playoff game by literally 60.

Yeah, okay.....but you can rest on the Pistons/Wings success for quite some time. We were all alive and making babies during the Wings' dominance and it's not like the Pistons last won when TVs were in black and white.

Absolutely, no complaints. They're won 8 titles in my lifetime, two different franchises went back to back. Love being a Detroit sports fan and cannot imagine ever rooting for anyone else.

Really would like to see the Lions make a Super Bowl before my time is up, though. This fall will be my 57th season as a fan.

Good luck to San Diego State t, who plays in one of the saddest sad sack sports cities in America. 0 titles, made up for the fact it’s the best city in the country.

I didn't watch it but the box score tells the story. The #1 scoring team in the country only had 15 shots all game and TWO in the third.

Let me guess, they got up 2-0 and went into a defensive shell in order to protect that lead - and it backfired?

I didn't watch it but the box score tells the story. The #1 scoring team in the country only had 15 shots all game and TWO in the third.

Let me guess, they got up 2-0 and went into a defensive shell in order to protect that lead - and it backfired?
Pretty much. Quinnipiac was threatening all 3rd period and finally scored down the stretch after pulling the goalie. The OT winner was right off the faceoff and was just a well-executed play with a cross ice pass from the boards to the streaking winger in front of the net.

Users who are viewing this thread