What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minor Issue on Plane (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
I was flying from Miami to Chicago last week and was in an aisle seat.  Upon boarding, there was someone in my seat who said she needed to sit next to her 10yo daughter  She wanted me to move to the bulkhead window--no middles so it's the worst seat in the section IMO.  I asked why she didn't ask to switch with the person in the bulkhead and she pulled a dog from under the seat and said he couldn't travel in the bulkhead.  So I moved to the bulkhead and marveled how I got manipulated.

Without the child, I'd have asked for my seat but people have bluntly refused to move for me in the past in similar circumstances so I didn't want to be that guy.  

I was flying from Miami to Chicago last week and was in an aisle seat.  Upon boarding, there was someone in my seat who said she needed to sit next to her 10yo daughter  She wanted me to move to the bulkhead window--no middles so it's the worst seat in the section IMO.  I asked why she didn't ask to switch with the person in the bulkhead and she pulled a dog from under the seat and said he couldn't travel in the bulkhead.  So I moved to the bulkhead and marveled how I got manipulated.

Without the child, I'd have asked for my seat but people have bluntly refused to move for me in the past in similar circumstances so I didn't want to be that guy.  
Surprised you fly commercial, thought you would charter a flight.

It sounds like your issue was with the adult or the canine and not with the minor :shrug:
I didn't say anything to the child--the 10yo wasn't in my seat, her mother was.

1) The mother said she had to sit next to her daughter because she couldn't travel by herself..

2) The mother/daughter couldn't sit in the bulkhead because the dog had to be on the floor and that isn't allowed in the bulkhead row.

I hope when people do this they ask with hopefull gratitude 

I would hate to ask someone to move to the point i would probably offer money for their inconvenience. 

Just saw it was 2x2.  

So the mom wanted you to move to the bulkhead seat ACROSS the aisle?
No..  My original seat wasn't in a bulkhead row.  It was 6D an aisle seat in a regular row.  I was asked to move to 3F--a window in the bulkhead row.

I would have told the lady to pound salt. That's  her issue and the airline's, not yours. Typical of how people are anymore, inconsiderate @@@@@. But no way would I have moved with the way she did it. Dont take your kid on a plane if it cant sit by itself, unreal.

Please tell me this is first class. If this is coach your riches mean nothing to us.
come on... 2x2 on a cross-country flight, single digit seats, bulkhead... he laid it all out there in typical chet fashion for you.

but yeah- chet did the right thing here, even if the mom traveling with her FAMILY didn't. 

eta: presumptuous and messed up for the lady to just sit in chet's seat and then ask. should have gone the other way around, IMO- sit in your own seat and then ask the person who sits where you'd like to sit if they could change with you for reason x,y,z. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no such thing as a minor issue.  They should all be elevated to maximize drama.  This place has gone to heck without MoP.  

And why aren't people buying seats together?
I booked travel for my family a couple weeks ago - approx. 6 weeks before our travel date in late April.  The airline charges if you want to pick seats at booking, using a price scheme that varies from about $13 to over $50 (per seat each way) depending on how desirable the seat location is.  To clarify, the airplane is about 20% booked, but I could not select any seats without paying extra.  I was already paying extra to bring our luggage, which costs more if you don't reserve and pay at booking.  The luggage charges ($30 checked, $35 for a carry-on) almost doubled the total cost for the trip. I decided to take my chances on seats with what I get when the time comes.  My 8 year old won't care as long as she has her tablet and some snacks.  My 14 year old will probably prefer being on his own, and neither my wife nor I need to sit next to each other on a crappy bus ride in the sky.

I remember my grandparents use to dress in their Sunday best when they flew to family gatherings.  My grandfather wore a jacket and I think even a tie.  It was like a luxury experience.  I'm already dreading this trip, as I do every time.

First class seats? Don’t sink to their level. I don’t think the bulk head is that bad. Window seat might be an issue if you have to use the restroom a lot. I would honor the request most of the time.

You omitted an important detail.. How hot was the Mom?

Thanks for moving, I probably would have done the same thing, but the reality is she should have explained the problem to the airline rather than just taking your seat. 

If I didn't have a backpack, I wouldn't mind but 99% of the time I fly I have a backpack with a laptop (cords, mouse, etc.) and a carry on.  I don't want the bulk head because there's no seat to store the backpack.

I'd tell this lady I'm going to sit in the seat I paid for.   I don't like to be a jerk but I also don't like someone else's problem forced on me for their lack of effort or misfortune. 

If I didn't have a backpack, I wouldn't mind but 99% of the time I fly I have a backpack with a laptop (cords, mouse, etc.) and a carry on.  I don't want the bulk head because there's no seat to store the backpack.

I'd tell this lady I'm going to sit in the seat I paid for.   I don't like to be a jerk but I also don't like someone else's problem forced on me for their lack of effort or misfortune. 
Yup.  

Tell this dame to get out of your ASSIGNED seat.

This is where I have the problem.  I would definitely move so a parent could be with a child but to have to do so because she brought a dog on board would tick me off.   People and their friggin' pets...

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to sit in their assigned seats.  These people are the ####### worst. 

First class seats? Don’t sink to their level. I don’t think the bulk head is that bad. Window seat might be an issue if you have to use the restroom a lot. I would honor the request most of the time.
The problem is, it doesn't seem like he honored a request but more of a demand.  Rather than making noise about it, he swallowed his pride for the poor kid.  

If he had objected, does anyone really think this lady was just going to get the dog and move somewhere else?  No, she was going to sit there and call over the flight attendant to get her way.

These are the types of things that should be taken care of at the gate before boarding the plane.  The gate will make effort to have children sitting next to a parent.  Not everyone dislikes bulkhead and planes narrow as you get towards the back.

This is where I have the problem.  I would definitely move so a parent could be with a child but to have to do so because she brought a dog on board would tick me off.   People and their friggin' pets...
Yes  It was that point that I knew I had been worked.  I took her seat and moved on.

The woman was polite and thanked me again after the flight. Had I experienced any kind of rude behavior, I'd have had the flight attendant reseat them.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is, it doesn't seem like he honored a request but more of a demand.  Rather than making noise about it, he swallowed his pride for the poor kid.  

If he had objected, does anyone really think this lady was just going to get the dog and move somewhere else?  No, she was going to sit there and call over the flight attendant to get her way.

These are the types of things that should be taken care of at the gate before boarding the plane.  The gate will make effort to have children sitting next to a parent.  Not everyone dislikes bulkhead and planes narrow as you get towards the back.
This is exactly right other than if I'd wanted that seat, all I would have had to have done is speak to the FA who would have worked to get them something.  They probably would have been downgraded but it wouldn't have been my issue.

Not a fan of the lady knowing she had a bulkhead seat ahead of time and still bringing the dog. I'd have been severely tempted to call her on that, suggest she put the dog under her kid's seat, before I agreed to move.

bulkhead is bad for first class.  It's always the last seats filled

Users who are viewing this thread