What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB parks and stadiums ... ranking 'em, reviewing 'em, etc. (1 Viewer)

Dickie Dunn

Footballguy
There are so many things we love about baseball. The games are played in the warmest months of the year during and around the summer, and (mostly) outdoors. Though a hotly debated topic these days, the timeliness and leisurely pace of the game allows us to just kick back, relax and soak it all in.

And then there are the ballparks themselves. Nothing quite beats being able to go out to a baseball game on a warm evening, to have a hot dog and a beer and just enjoy the sights, sounds and thrills. Many of us are fans of football, hockey and maybe even basketball. But rarely do you hear people looking forward to their first trip to Paul Brown Stadium or American Airlines Center (quick: what city is that in?). Football stadiums, as well as hockey/basketball arenas, have a certain sameness to them … 100 yards of Field Turf, a 200-x-85 ice surface or 94 feet of court … lower bowl, luxury boxes, upper deck, etc.

That’s just not the case in baseball. For the most part, every stadium past and present has a uniqueness to it that is easily identifiable. Fenway’s Green Monster, the Wrigley Field ivy, McCovey Cove. Step out of the tunnel, look out at the green grass, and immediately you know where you are and who is playing that night. While the bases always are 90 feet apart and the mound sitting 60 feet, 6 inches from home plate, no two sets of foul poles are quite alike. A home run to right-center in one park dies as a lazy fly ball in another. And sometimes, what can be seen outside is just as cool as what is inside.

Unlike the other three major sports, baseball’s “cathedrals” are an attraction as much as the game itself. Many a summer vacation has been planned around making a pilgrimage, whether it is to catch one or two at a time, or even all 30.

My goal is to someday have them all covered. After visiting both Los Angeles and Anaheim two weeks ago, my list now stands at 24 current major league stadiums visited. Add in nine others that have met the wrecking ball or long since outlived their purpose, for one reason or another.

I’ve always intended to do a complete ranking of the stadiums I visit. Aside from a mental top five or so, I never sat down and put them all in order until just recently. Over the next few weeks, I will post my rankings starting from the worst of the worst and working my way to No. 1, hopefully one ballpark per day or so.

As a disclaimer, this won’t be a complete and comprehensive list, since there still are six MLB stadiums I have yet to visit: Rogers Centre (Toronto), Tropicana Field (Tampa), Comerica Park (Detroit), Citi Field (New York), Sun Trust Park (Atlanta) and the new Busch Stadium (St. Louis). In addition, I will be including the nine stadiums I have visited that no longer are in use.

At first I thought I would stick to just ranking the stadiums themselves, but it’s probably necessary to include more of the overall experience – where it is located, how easy it is to access, etc. In many cases, these are the types of things I used to separate one park from another in the rankings.

Feel free to chime in with your own lists, review or rip my rankings, or whatever. I guarantee I will have some ballparks that will be rated higher than many believe, and some perhaps lower. In some cases I will be going off memories far more past in my 40-plus years of going to major league games. Maybe this can even be a catch-all thread for those of us planning to visit a particular park someday to get some perspective or answer some questions.

Play ball!

33. Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia

Opened: 1971

Last used: 2003

Demolished: 2004

Photos

You know that old saying, What do you call the worst graduate of medical school? (Answer: doctor). You could say something similar about major league stadiums over the years – there really is no bad place to watch a baseball game.

Of course, if you said that, you would be wrong.

I made my only visit to the Vet during a weekend series more than 20 years ago, so a lot of my actual recollections of specific details of the place are hazy. And I’d like to keep them that way.

Seriously, what were the good qualities of this place, aside from the Liberty Bell replica and the fact that it honored our nation’s veterans?

This was the prototypical cookie cutter MLB/NFL stadium that was trendy for a (thankfully) brief period in the early 1970s. A big ol’ bowl of concrete and steel both inside and out, complete with turf surfaces, and seemingly nothing else of interest.

There were the seven decks of seating, such that in many places you were about a mile away from the action. My friends and I bought $5 general admission tickets and basically sat by ourselves in the upper reaches of center field. I’m sure it was quite an experience when it was completely full, but with more than 60,000 seats how often did that happen? Maybe it was a cool place to watch the Army-Navy Game, or avoid getting concussed at an Eagles game, but for baseball? Pass.

Here is a highlight clip I found on YouTube. 

At this stage in life I prefer minor league stadiums, but that's because I'm no longer a fan of huge crowds. 

Been to in order of apperanaces:

Tiger Stadium (hundreds of times)

Comerica Park

Nationals Stadium

Camden Yards

Ballpark in Arlington

Jacobs Field or whatever

Municipal Stadium

Riverfront Stadium

Old Yankee Stadium

New Yankee Stadium

Old Comiskey

New Comiskey

Wrigley

Dodgers Stadium

Royals Stadium

New Busch

PNC Park

CitiField

Been in the D'Backs park but didn't see a game, so that doesn't count. 

I must go to AT&T Park, Target Field, and I'm not sure why I haven't gone to Philadelphia for a game yet.  Probably will get to Rogers Centre too, it's pretty close.  Besides that I'm good, my two favorites sans my home parks, are Royals Stadium and Chavez Ravine and everything else is a distant third.  Camden Yards is probably the best place of all to watch a game though, I have to give it that. 

You know what, I'd like to go to Miller Park also.  If I'm within 100 miles of any baseball park I'm liable to go, so...

You really haven't been to Fenway? I know you hate the Sawx, but we need to fix that.
If I get up there I'd probably go, but it's not a destination for me.  I mean if I had the time and resources, I'd go to all the stadiums I haven't been to starting Friday.  Then I'd go to every double A park, California league park, Carolina league park, and Midwest League Park.  Then I'd go to the Arizona Fall League, then I'd go to the Dominican League, Venezuelan League, and then I'd make my way to the Gulf Coast league.  This is what I'd do if I won the lottery. 

You really haven't been to Fenway? I know you hate the Sawx, but we need to fix that.
I'd love to see it today. Went in 1999 and the old ownership group was trying to run the place into the ground to gain sympathy / support for a new stadium. 

The place was truly a dump back then. One the my great disappointments in my baseball life. 

I'd love to see it today. Went in 1999 and the old ownership group was trying to run the place into the ground to gain sympathy / support for a new stadium. 

The place was truly a dump back then. One the my great disappointments in my baseball life. 
i went to Fenway in September 1998 and was similarly unwowed.  The surrounding area was great but once inside the gates, everything showed its age.  i came within one out of seeing what would have been Dennis Eckersley's final career SV

Haven't been to a ton of parks but Wrigley is by far my favorite. Sitting in the sun behind first base in a seat tilted slightly towards home just felt perfect. Was there about 25 years ago and every year I say I need to go back.  Was going to go with my buddy this year but too costly a trip for us right now. Been to Rogers Centre/Skydome a number of times (not impressed, although the flight deck in centre is a nice fairly new addition). Saw the Reds last year, can't remember much about that stadium. Also have been to Comerica and Turner field. Last year my friend and I went to see a Mudhens game and a Louisville bats game with the Reds game sandwiched in between). Really enjoy the Minor league feel. Club seats in Louisville were $18 or something and that included $5 off something at the concession. Can't beat that on a nice summer day.

Next week we go to Cleveland to see the Indians, then to Buffalo to watch the Jays AAA team. 

Still want to go to Camden, PNC (or whatever they call it in Pittsburgh) and Fenway (just because)

32. Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum

Opened: 1968

Photos

I had the good fortune of making my lone visit to the Bay Area around the second week of August in 2003. Which meant my first game at that “other venue in the parking lot where Steph Curry and Kevin Durant play” actually was a Raiders preseason battle against the Chargers.

Which is appropriate. Because when I returned three nights later to finally watch the A’s play the Red Sox, there was nothing but reminders that “this is where the Raiders play.” The yard lines still were readily visible in the grass (at least there is grass). The monstrosity that is “Mount Davis” out behind the outfield fences blocks what I understand used to be a pretty good view of the hills off in the distance. And of course, the sheer size of the place means foul territory slightly bigger than a CFL end zone.

I will say, though, it was pretty cool to watch two different sports played in the same venue in a matter of a few days. But when you’re looking for an aesthetically pleasing baseball park, this certainly wasn’t it.

Fortunately the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas. The Athletics could be gone soon, as well, if they ever figure out where to put a new ballpark. And you see how it’s back to the original “Oakland-Alameda County” moniker? Even the corporate sponsors want nothing to do with this place any more.

I guess the first sign was stepping off the BART, which was a lively ride from downtown San Francisco. Soon after you’re being herded through a tight fenced-in walkway directly to the stadium. It’s like they don’t want you wandering too far off in any direction, for whatever reason. There might have even been barbed wire involved (but that might have been a Raiders fan’s outfit, so who knows).

The plus side is that we ended up being treated to one of the better pitching performances I’ve ever seen – a pennant race matchup between Tim Hudson and Pedro. Hudson got the far better of it on this night, a brilliant two-hitter in which neither left the infield (and only three fly balls, total). Unfortunately, even in the “good seats” (we were somewhere down the third base line), you’re a ways from the action.

There is nothing interesting outside the park either. I did walk around the parking lot past the arena next door, hoping for some sort of evidence that the California Golden Seals ever existed. Alas.

I’m sure if I ever visit the Trop, that would surpass Oakland as the worst current MLB stadium. And there was enough that was “OK” about it to keep it ahead of the Vet. (Besides, I’m sure Good Posting Judge still hates me for some stuff I’ve said about UConn over the years, so no reason to give him any more ammo.)

I do hope the A’s can get a new stadium someday (and if not, *cough*Montreal*cough*). If so, I would like to come back and check it out … whether it’s San Jose, San Clemente, San Luis Obispo, San Juan, or wherever.

The Oakland Coliseum was much nicer before Mt. Davis.  If you were in the grandstand, there was a nice panorama of the hills.  If you were in the bleachers, there was an enthusiastic crowd if the A's were playing well. 

Even without the reconfiguration, the Coliseum wouldn't rate highly today.  It's still a 60s multi-purpose stadium--it and the Big A are the only two left in operation.  It measured up better against contemporaries like Busch II, Riverfront and Jack Murphy than it would vs. 21st century ballparks.

falguy said:
Haven't been to a ton of parks but Wrigley is by far my favorite. Sitting in the sun behind first base in a seat tilted slightly towards home just felt perfect. Was there about 25 years ago and every year I say I need to go back.  Was going to go with my buddy this year but too costly a trip for us right now. Been to Rogers Centre/Skydome a number of times (not impressed, although the flight deck in centre is a nice fairly new addition). Saw the Reds last year, can't remember much about that stadium. Also have been to Comerica and Turner field. Last year my friend and I went to see a Mudhens game and a Louisville bats game with the Reds game sandwiched in between). Really enjoy the Minor league feel. Club seats in Louisville were $18 or something and that included $5 off something at the concession. Can't beat that on a nice summer day.

Next week we go to Cleveland to see the Indians, then to Buffalo to watch the Jays AAA team. 

Still want to go to Camden, PNC (or whatever they call it in Pittsburgh) and Fenway (just because)
Agree that Rogers isn't all that exciting, but the location in downtown is nice and we got to see the roof close during the 9th inning, which was kind of cool.

Hitting Camden Yards next weekend for the first time.  I've barely been anywhere, now that I think about it.  Really need to work on that.

Agree that Rogers isn't all that exciting, but the location in downtown is nice and we got to see the roof close during the 9th inning, which was kind of cool.
Rogers centre ranges from terrible to passable based on crowd size and whether the roof is open. It's bottom 3 with the dome closed and a small crowd (thinking it still edges out Oakland and Tampa). If the roof is open and there's a decent amount of people, it seems less cavernous and a bit more like a big league park (but it's still bottom 10) They've made some decent improvements in the past few years with the wider concourses and the standing area in the outfield and the hotel is still kind of cool but being built for 1989 it just missed the switch to baseball only outdoor stadiums. 

The location is phenomenal though (downtown, waterfront, super accessible by transit) and also the reason the Jays will likely continue to play there for the foreseeable future, rather than any talk of a new park.

At this point, I've only been to Fenway, Colorado, and the new park in Atlanta.  Fenway was cool because it was Fenway, but not much for amenities. I had a blast in Colorado and the new Braves stadium is beautiful. 

I haven't been to too many.

Old ones: Shea, Atlanta Fulton County, Turner Field, old Yankees stadium, Astrodome

Current stadiums: Citi Field, Angel Stadium, Minute Maid Stadium, Camden Park, and Nationals Park.

Nationals Park: Pretty bland and over-priced. I thought tix were super expensive. I enjoyed the Bud Light Loft/Bud Brew House. That was a nice party spot.

Angel Stadium: It gets a bad rep, but you can tell this was a nice stadium back in the day. Tix and food were relatively cheap. Old style stadium, but I enjoyed it.

Citi Field was ok. I went in the opening year. I expected more to it. The pizza was great. Definitely better food options than Shea. Very little Mets history in the stadium at the time.

Camden Park: Was really nice. I enjoyed the walk into the stadium. It felt like its own village. To me that was the best part of the stadium.

Minute Maid: Nice stadium. Definitely better than the 8th Wonder Astrodome. Tal's Hill is gone now, but that was interesting while it lasted. It's where i live now, so it's the stadium I see the most.

31. Jarry Park, Montreal

Opened: 1969

Last used: 1976

Photos

This is a difficult one for me, for a number of reasons.

I get asked occasionally how it was that, as a kid growing up in the middle of Massachusetts, I became an Expos fan. The answer is pretty simple. We had family friends that lived in Sherbrooke, which is a couple of hours east of Montreal. Every couple of years we would trek up there to visit, and I was 5 years old when they decided to take us to see the Expos for what was my first major league game.

I didn’t really follow baseball at such a young age – if I was going to watch anything on TV other than Sesame Street or cartoons, it probably would have been bowling. So it bugs me to this day that I don’t have a whole lot of memory of actually going to a game at Jarry Park. I do know it was a cool September night and that they played the Mets. As confirmed by my father many years later, Seaver pitched, so this had to have been the game.

Everything seems so big and magical when you’re a young kid, so how was I to know that Jarry was a place that probably never had any business hosting a single major league game, never mind having the Expos play there for the first eight seasons of their existence. I know that we sat somewhere up on the third base side, and it’s possible I might have fallen asleep before the game was over. Then again, it was played in a crisp 1 hours, 59 minutes. It seems a lot of things then were much different than they are now.

So forgive me if this isn’t so much of a review as it is a tribute. Most of the info I have gotten on Jarry Park over the years has come from reading, how the Expos were in jeopardy of extinction even before they played their first game, until the decision was made to turn a 3,000-seat grandstand in a municipal park into a "temporary" major league stadium almost overnight. This piece by SABR is as comprehensive as any I have found.

It’s also easy to romanticize a place that not only was where your favorite team played, but where you first saw them. That’s why it’s difficult to find its proper place in history. I know it probably was a fun place to watch a game, despite its many shortcomings. Long before Chase Field, there was the swimming pool that sat a decent distance behind the right field fence – reached only a handful of times by the likes of Willie Stargell and Le Grand Orange, Rusty Staub. Where else but Jarry could fans stand on snowbanks beyond the fences and catch some of the action? It was charming, even if it was major league in name only.

If you believe Jarry should be ranked below Veterans Stadium or Oakland, I can’t say I would disagree with you, though I’ve run across few other people who can say they’ve ever been to Jarry. In fact, when I was mentioning the ballparks I have attended on Facebook earlier this week, two of my friends who are huge baseball fans never knew the Expos played somewhere in Montreal other than Olympic Stadium.

I got a chance to go back to Jarry Park in the early ‘90s and walk around the outside of the place, after it already had been converted to the early versions of the tennis venue it is today. All I could do is shake my head and laugh that Major League Baseball ever was played there. But it was – and surely there are Expos fans who went to both over the years who would tell you they preferred Jarry over the Big Uh-Oh. Here are a couple of video tributes to the Expos that show some game action from the early days.

All I know is, I’m happy I can say I was there.

My head office is in Montreal just off Rue Jarry, a bit up the road from Jarry Park/Stade Uniprix. Drove past it three weeks ago, stopped in to check it out more than that a couple years back, it's neat how you can still see the remnants of the ballpark in the new Tennis stadium. A nice public park surrounds it too spanning from Rue Jarry/ Boul St. Laurent/ Rue Gary Carter (I'm obviously only posting this last bit to draw attention to the fact that there is a Rue Gary Carter).

I never went to Parc Jarry but I did attend an event at the Autostade, which was one of the other venues considered when Montreal was given an expansion franchise.  The Autostade was constructed for Expo 67 near the famous Habitat apartment blocks.  My family took a road trip to visit Expo 67 when I was a kid.  I don't remember the event but I remember the stadium.  The Alouettes ended up playing while the Expos went to Jarry.  I don't pretend to know the city but there are some who say the Autostade site would have been a better location than either Jarry or Stade Olympique.  Location is an underrated part of what makes a ballpark great:  the surrounding area, backdrop and ease of access are all important factors.

Mrs. Eephus and I had tickets to see the Expos play at the Big O but that was the year where part of the stadium's concrete facade collapsed and the Expos headed out on an epic 26 game road trip to end the season.  We went to the gardens near the ballpark during our visit and took pictures of the bus-sized chunk of concrete.  We ended up going to a Canadiens exhibition game at the Forum instead.

I never went to Parc Jarry but I did attend an event at the Autostade, which was one of the other venues considered when Montreal was given an expansion franchise.  The Autostade was constructed for Expo 67 near the famous Habitat apartment blocks.  My family took a road trip to visit Expo 67 when I was a kid.  I don't remember the event but I remember the stadium.  The Alouettes ended up playing while the Expos went to Jarry.  I don't pretend to know the city but there are some who say the Autostade site would have been a better location than either Jarry or Stade Olympique.  Location is an underrated part of what makes a ballpark great:  the surrounding area, backdrop and ease of access are all important factors.

Mrs. Eephus and I had tickets to see the Expos play at the Big O but that was the year where part of the stadium's concrete facade collapsed and the Expos headed out on an epic 26 game road trip to end the season.  We went to the gardens near the ballpark during our visit and took pictures of the bus-sized chunk of concrete.  We ended up going to a Canadiens exhibition game at the Forum instead.
Funny, the same family I mentioned above took us to an Alouettes-Argonauts game at the Autostade in 1976. I remember driving through the city somewhere and gazing out in the distance at Olympic Stadium, which had just finished hosting the '76 Games, and marveling at it. How little we knew.

The Autostade was a weird place, but it was located on the edge of downtown near the St. Lawrence. It probably would have been a great site for a new ballpark, but it sounds like the Autostade never would have worked as an MLB venue.

30. Olympic Stadium, Montreal

Opened: 1977

Last used: 2004

Photos

As I mentioned in my last entry last week, I became an Expos fan mostly because the first major league game I ever attended was at Jarry Park in Montreal. But it’s not like I latched on to them right away. I don’t remember even getting a hat or T-shirt as a souvenir (French for “souvenir”) of my visit, and it’s not like I was pretending to bat like Ron Fairly or throw like a young Steve Rogers in the back yard.

In fact, the Expos pretty much were just an afterthought in my young mind for a couple of years. I didn’t start really following baseball until 1975, when Fred Lynn, Jim Rice and Pudge were capturing the attention of everyone around me in leading the Sox to a classic World Series against the Reds. I started Little League the next spring, and the 1976 Topps set was my first foray into collecting baseball cards (still my favorite set to this day).

So like all the kids in the neighborhood, I cherished pulling a Yaz, Dewey or Luis out of those 15-cent wax packs. But I also had a certain fondness for those guys in the weird red, white and blue caps. And since everyone wanted to be the Red Sox whenever we played Wiffle Ball or fired up a game of Strat-o-Matic, it was easy for me to choose a different side. I had Nos Amours … my Expos.

Of course, that was around the same time the stars started to arrive. The Kid, The Hawk, Ellis Valentine. Bill Lee was traded north for (who the hell is) Stan Papi.

At the end of 1976, the Expos left Jarry Park and moved into Stade Olympique. It would be 10 years before I got to see them play there, and even then only for a couple of innings. We were on a tour of the Olympic Park as part of a school trip and it just happened to coincide with a Sunday afternoon game against the Dodgers. They ushered is in and let us watch from somewhere way out in right-center field. After a couple of planned trips during college that ultimately fell through, I didn’t actually get back until the early ‘90s.

Nonetheless, aside from Fenway it remains the major league park where I have seen the most games. When I did my original rankings, the Big Uh-Oh was a little bit higher, but as I mentioned with Jarry, I had a feeling I was romanticizing the place just because it was where my team played. Because, quite frankly, it really wasn’t an enjoyable place for most major league baseball fans, alternately described as looking like a space ship or a toilet bowl. And that was just the view from the outside.

Who knows what would have happened had the “retractable” roof worked as originally planned. I’ve mentioned it before, but the last thing Montrealers wanted to do was be stuck indoors during the summer months when the weather is nice. But the roof was a necessary evil, because quite often the rest of the year the weather wasn’t so hot, to be kind. The most famous, or “infamous”, game in Big O history was the “Blue Monday” Game 5 of the 1981 NLCS, when Rick Monday’s ninth-inning home run broke the hearts of Expos fans in what ended up being the team’s only postseason appearance. The game actually was postponed the day before because of snow/cold, and the stadium was only two-thirds full on that drizzly, raw October Monday afternoon.

The ballpark wasn’t in a great location – though the parking is fine and the Metro’s Pie IX stop lets you out literally inside the entrance concourse to the stadium, there is absolutely nothing to do outside the park.

And yes, it is/was ugly. A tribute to concrete, when it wasn’t falling in chunks and causing the team to play for weeks on the road. Those space age yellow molded seats that were something straight out of The Jetsons, although they would make a heck of a racket when the fans would bang them during a rally. The original roof, an orange eye sore plagued by tearing issues and never really retractable. A run of terrible turf surfaces that probably shortened or harmed the career of many players (notably Andre Dawson and his knees).

Despite all that, and the plethora of ways MLB and the city delivered repeated cold slaps to the face of Expos fans, attendance for much of the franchise’s run was better than many would believe. From the oom-pah band playing “Happy Wanderer” to the clucking chicken on the video board, the delicious smoked meat sandwiches and copious amounts of Labatt’s or Molson, it was a fun place. I made it a point to make the five-hour trek north to attend at least one series a summer throughout the ‘90s, and while the place never was banged out, crowds in the 20,000s were more the norm when I was there. I caught my lone foul ball (off the bat of Jeff Blauser) during a mid-June game in 1995 when we made a spur-of-the-moment one-day round trip to see Pedro vs. Maddux.

My last visit to the Big O came in 2002, when I rode with three others from Boston to see the Expos play the Cubs. By that point the franchise was on life support and the crowds had disappeared. There couldn’t have been more than 5,000 there that night, and if you didn’t have a ticket in the lower section the ushers strong-armed you away. It made it look even worse on TV, if that was possible. It was depressing as a fan, so much so that when MLB forced the Expos to play 22 games each in 2003 and ’04 in Puerto Rico, I never made another trip to Montreal. I hated to see what had happened, and was about to happen.

There is talk of Montreal getting another franchise, and I couldn’t be happier. But even though I never had a bad time there, I know there is no way they could play at Olympic Stadium. Maybe temporarily, until a suitable place is built downtown amidst the bars and restaurants and the buzzing nightlife, with a properly functioning roof to keep the elements out and not drive the fans away. The city and its fans deserve another chance.

Until then … for better or for worse – thanks for the memories, Stade Olympique.

29. RFK Stadium, Washington

Opened: 1962 (Senators, v. 2.0); 2005 (Nationals)

Last used: 2007

Photos

I don’t know exactly when it was … definitely 2004, maybe earlier. But when it was obvious that the Expos certainly were packing up their stuff and heading down to D.C., invariably I would get this question once or twice a week:

“So, are you going to become a Nationals fan?”

There is nothing I wanted to do less. I never even rooted for Boston College when one of my former high school teammates was their starting quarterback for most of two seasons, but I believed I would rather be caught wearing the maroon and gold than a hat with the “curly W.” Or anything else Nationals related.

To me, this seemed to be a normal reaction. Growing up in New England, I knew my share of Whalers fans, none of whom suddenly latched on to the Hurricanes. A Browns fan who rightly loathed Art Modell and refused to jump ship to the Ravens. Et cetera.

The 2005 season was my grieving stage. I didn’t avoid watching the Nats, because I watched pretty much any baseball game I could back then. Besides, I wanted to keep tabs on Jose Vidro, Brad Wilkerson, even a late-in-his-career Wil Cordero. Those still were my guys, even if they changed laundry. Not much different than following Larry Walker, Pedro or Vlad before them. Different team, not my Expos.

As summer approached I had some time off from work and decided to make the most of it. It had been more than a decade since I had spent any time in the nation’s capital, so I started to check the schedule. Oddly enough, I found a rarity on a Thursday in early July – a date when the Nats and Orioles both were at home. And even better, a day game and a night game. Besides, it was a major league park I had never seen, one with some decent history. Plans were made and eventually expanded – I would continue on to the new digs in Philly the next night, then Yankee Stadium on Saturday. Four parks, four cities in three days.

But first … RFK.

I still didn’t quite know what to expect as I parked at a lot outside RFK about three hours before first pitch. Knowing there was nothing to do outside the park, I came up with the (in hindsight, not brightest) idea to take a walk as far as I could down toward and maybe onto the Mall. Fortunately it was daytime, and I got as far as the Capitol before jumping on the Metro and heading back. After all, I wanted to explore the park … something I try to do every time I see a place for the first time.

As the prototype for the “cookie cutter” multi-purpose stadium craze of the early ‘70s, RFK didn’t surprise me. The Redskins had long since left for Landover, Md., and since a new baseball-only park was on the horizon, RFK would be only a temporary home for the Nats. Which means, they did enough to bring it back to current MLB standards, but without going too overboard. It had natural grass and was outdoors, always a plus in my book.

I had a pretty good seat near third base and the sightlines were fine, but I have to wonder how they were in the upper deck, where the vast majority of RFK’s seats lie (there were none on the lower level between the foul poles). I know at least one was painted white to mark a mammoth Frank Howard home run back during RFK’s first run as a major league park.

It was pretty cool to check out the names listed in “Washington’s Hall of Stars” behind the right field fence, a tribute to all of D.C.’s greats from the past in various sports. Surely there wouldn’t be enough time for updates to include any modern day Nationals, but in a city known for its history, it seemed appropriate.

All in all, I was glad to be able to take in a game there. Of course it went extra innings, which means I had to dash to the car and try to beat the notorious Beltway traffic in order to make it to Baltimore in time for the next part of my journey (I did, just barely).

And by the way, I wrote most of this review while wearing a Stephen Strasburg T-shirt. I guess you can say I’ve made my peace with the Nationals.

(Coming soon: Actual ballparks still in use today … promise!)

RFK would be only a temporary home for the Nats. Which means, they did enough to bring it back to current MLB standards, but without going too overboard. It had natural grass and was outdoors, always a plus in my book
RFK holds a special place in my heart as I went to many a 'Skins game back in the 80's as a kid. But, in 2005 when the Nats started playing there, oy, what a dump!!

28. Shea Stadium, New York

Opened: 1964

Last used: 2008

Demolished: 2009

Photos

Opening Day is a magical time for any baseball fan. In many parts of the country, it’s a sign that better weather is just around the corner. Hope spring eternal for each of the 30 teams … everyone is starting at zero, and the promise that “this is the year” remains.

It didn’t quite work out that way for the 1996 Mets. They finished 71-91, a mere 25 games behind the Braves in the National League East. But things looked pretty good on April 1 that season after the Mets knocked off the Cardinals, 7-6. The immortal Bernard Gilkey had a pair of hits and drove in two runs, plating the equalizer in a decisive four-run seventh and then getting in a rundown long enough to allow Lance Johnson to score the eventual winner on a sacrifice fly.

In more than four decades of watching baseball, it remains the only Opening Day game I’ve attended. We were in New York City for the Final Four, which was being played across the river at the Meadowlands. A loaded Kentucky team, having beaten my UMass squad two nights earlier, would knock off Syracuse that Monday night for the national title. But beforehand, a few of us decided to kill the day by heading to the ol’ ballgame.

I visited to Shea a handful of other times, before and since. But that probably was the only one where I joined many Mets fans in hopping on the 7 Train and riding out to Flushing. There’s something to be said for stadiums that have easy access from public transportation.

But I didn’t give Olympic Stadium bonus points for having a Metro stop located inside the building, so I won’t go too crazy here. And the walk from platform to gate isn’t exactly Kenmore Square or Wrigleyville -- like many of the parks on the bottom of my list, there really is nothing to do outside of Shea before or after a game.

Nonetheless, I remember there being a distinct buzz outside the stadium as we approached the gate area. We found a scalper that we could trust wasn’t one of NYC’s finest and grabbed four, which on this day meant a long trek up the endless stream of ramps to the upper deck.

Yes, the nosebleeds seats at Shea probably were higher than any place I’ve ever sat. We certainly had a good view of the planes taking off from LaGuardia as they zoomed overhead. But this was an interesting part of Shea that made it different than most of the other multi-purpose stadiums that opened in the ‘60s and early ‘70s. It wasn’t a complete bowl of concrete (like Philly, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati), so pretty much every seat was between the foul poles. To give it the larger capacity (remember, the Jets played there for many years), they had to build it upward.

Despite its size, at least it “felt” like a ballpark, open to the elements in the outfield. Granted there wasn’t much of anything to see other than parking lots in the distance, but maybe that concept led the way to the successful trend of “open view” stadiums we enjoy today.

Oddly enough, the new park next door seems to be a rare exception. I haven’t been to Citi Field yet, but undoubtedly it is a vast improvement over Shea, as has been the case with pretty much every other multi-purpose stadium built in that era. Maybe a good idea and design for its day, but it’s time had come and gone.

27. Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium

Opened: 1966

Last used: 1996

Demolished: 1997

Photos

In hindsight, I’m not sure exactly why I ranked this one ahead of a couple of others on the list. Because when it comes to the “cookie cutter” era of multi-purpose stadiums, Atlanta-Fulton County just didn’t have anything to make it stand out from the rest.

Maybe it is because it was one of the first stadiums I ever visited – after the Jarry Park debut and a trek or two each year to Fenway. My brother moved to Atlanta after he got married in the early ‘80s and, when his son was born, my parents and I made the trip south to see the new little one for the first time. We visited Stone Mountain, the Cyclorama and some other sites of southern history, and on a cool September night we went to see the Braves take on the Giants.

My dad had gone to many a Braves game back when they played in Boston. I wish I had gotten the chance myself, but the team moved to Milwaukee long before I was born and old Braves Field was converted to what is now Nickerson Field on the campus of Boston University (some parts still remain, such as the RF grandstand and some of the exterior, ticket booths, etc.).

My brother, in his time in Georgia, developed a loose friendship with Phil Niekro that presented him with business opportunities and, down the road, gained us VIP access to Cooperstown during Niekro’s induction weekend in 1997. While the Expos remained my team, I had developed a certain fondness for Dale Murphy during the Braves’ magical playoff run in 1982. And in a strange twist, it was later discovered that a man named Ivers Whitney Adams, who was the original owner of the Boston Red Stockings that eventually became the Braves, hailed from our hometown and is buried there.

So that’s a lot of history and personal family connection to the Braves. Which is OK, because I haven’t been able to think about much to say about Fulton County Stadium.

I do remember pulling up to the place and being surprised by how low a profile its exterior presented, a fact that made more sense when I discovered the field was sunk below ground level. But beyond that … did I mention it was a “cookie cutter” stadium? If you’ve seen one, well, you’ve seen Atlanta Fulton County. It did have grass, though from stories I’ve read, the conditions of the playing surface were quite an issue even into the later days of the stadium’s existence. Chief Noc-a-Homa and his teepee was an interesting concept that certainly wouldn’t pass muster in this day and age.

Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run there. The spot where his 1974 drive off the Dodgers’ Al Downing sailed over the wall was commemorated in the stadium, and later in a Turner Field parking lot after the ballpark met its demise. The final game played there was Game 5 of the 1996 World Series, which is pretty interesting. I can’t think of many other ballparks, if any, that could claim something like that. The Braves moved next door to Turner the next season, but now 20 years later, it’s crazy to think the old place outlasted the other in terms of hosting Braves games by a full decade.

They’re building a new baseball field on the old site of Fulton County Stadium, to be used by Georgia State University, which also is converting Turner Field into the school’s football venue. Meanwhile, the Braves have relocated yet again … this time to the new SunTrust Park out north of the city. Someday I’ll have to check out another piece of the legacy of the franchise whose winding journey started in my small hometown.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did more traveling for work I loved going to a local minor league game.  I have been to Oklahoma City and Midland Rockhounds games.  They were great.  As far as Major League stadiums I have been too they are as follows (no particular order):

• Dodger Stadium - probably the place I have been the most.  I even went for the LA Kings-Ducks outdoor game.  That was a great experience but terrible for watching a hockey game.
  • Angel Stadium - I enjoy the area because we usually stay at the hotel close by so we don't have to deal with parking or traffic coming or going. 
  • Kaufman Stadium - Awesome experience.  Got to go on the field and locker room areas.  Was able to watch both teams take BP from the field.  Great spot to watch a game.
  • ATT&T park - Great food everywhere.  Too much to get to try everything. 
  • Oakland - Old park but got to see a player I coached pick up his first major league win and even got a foul ball.  Stadium had virtually nobody in it but it was ok to watch the game.  Probably seemed better due to the circumstances more than the stadium.
  • Minute Maid Park - Great place to watch a game.  Helped that it was barely full so we got really good seats for cheap.
  • Safeco Field - love the walk from downtown and hitting up pubs on the way.  Really enjoyed the atmosphere and didn't have a bad view for any of the three games we went to.     
  • PNC Park - will be there in September.  Going for the Vikes/Pittsburgh game and figured since the Pirates play the next day might as well stay and go to that game as well.  Looking forward to this trip.

When I did more traveling for work I loved going to a local minor league game.  I have been to Oklahoma City and Midland Rockhounds games.  They were great.  As far as Major League stadiums I have been too they are as follows (no particular order):

• Dodger Stadium - probably the place I have been the most.  I even went for the LA Kings-Ducks outdoor game.  That was a great experience but terrible for watching a hockey game.
  • Angel Stadium - I enjoy the area because we usually stay at the hotel close by so we don't have to deal with parking or traffic coming or going. 
  • Kaufman Stadium - Awesome experience.  Got to go on the field and locker room areas.  Was able to watch both teams take BP from the field.  Great spot to watch a game.
  • ATT&T park - Great food everywhere.  Too much to get to try everything. 
  • Oakland - Old park but got to see a player I coached pick up his first major league win and even got a foul ball.  Stadium had virtually nobody in it but it was ok to watch the game.  Probably seemed better due to the circumstances more than the stadium.
  • Minute Maid Park - Great place to watch a game.  Helped that it was barely full so we got really good seats for cheap.
  • Safeco Field - love the walk from downtown and hitting up pubs on the way.  Really enjoyed the atmosphere and didn't have a bad view for any of the three games we went to.     
  • PNC Park - will be there in September.  Going for the Vikes/Pittsburgh game and figured since the Pirates play the next day might as well stay and go to that game as well.  Looking forward to this trip.
You won't regret going to PNC, I assure you of that.

26. Marlins Park, Miami

Opened: 2012

Photos

I promised that I would get to the current day major league stadiums at some point. However, you wouldn’t think that a ballpark that has been open for only five years would be so low on the list.

My group of friends and I have been going to at least one different ballpark per season for more than 25 years. At some point it would become a decision between going to some places we haven’t been (Detroit, Tampa), returning to cities that since have built new stadiums (Philly, St. Louis), or repeating a handful we already have seen.

Already there is talk about a return to Miami in the near future. It will be a good opportunity to see if Marlins Park still deserves to be panned like it regularly is.

We made our trek to the “Sunshine” State in 2012 … emphasis on the quote marks, because even though we were staying a couple of blocks from South Beach, we never set foot on a grain of sand after a tropical storm managed to hover over the area for the better part of four days. We spent an epic Friday afternoon drinking under cover at the Clevelander’s outdoor bar, then got kicked out when a couple of our buddies had too much and decided to jump in the pool, which of course was closed “because it’s raining”(?).

They drank so much that when our cabs pulled up outside the ballpark an hour or so later and they proceeded to lose it all over some neighboring lawn, we packed them into another cab and sent them back to the hotel instead of them going to the game. In hindsight, I think they got the better end of the deal that night.

I will say this: It was nice to have an enclosed ballpark in the middle of a tropical storm, just as I’m sure the roof is a life-saver for some of those lovely south Florida hot and humid afternoons. But I’m not sure I’ve ever been more bored at a major league game as I was that weekend, despite sitting somewhere behind home plate for both games. There just was no life in the place. Despite having a 5-year-old stadium, the Marlins consistently remain one of the worst drawing teams in baseball.

When the Clevelander inside the ballpark is one of its most appealing features, that’s a problem. At least no one got tossed from this one.

I get the impression that it might be a decent place when the roof is open, but that only happens for about 10 games a season. We did get to see the roof open at the end of the Saturday afternoon game so that they could get some light on the natural grass surface, but that was it. And even though the glass panels behind left field can be opened, the fact there always is a sort of overhanging canopy above it probably doesn’t change the feeling that you’re sitting inside a box.

That said, there isn’t a bad seat in the place, which makes sense since it was purposely designed to be the smallest in terms of capacity in MLB. The bobblehead “museum” on one of the concourses was kind of a neat thing, while the spinning contraption behind the left-center field fence is every bit the head-scratcher you’ve heard about.

At least when you’re inside it looks like a ballpark, because the exterior gives the impression that a UFO landed on top of what used to be the Orange Bowl. I guess the idea was to go with a more “modern” appearance, but in this case the departure from the recent trend of brick-and-iron architecture was a failure. If Olympic Stadium got ripped for the way it looked, inside and out, I can’t see how anyone can give this place a pass more than 40 years later.

And of course, the Orange Bowl was right in the middle of a neighborhood, where fans used to pay $10 to park on the citizens’ front lawns. Supposedly there is plenty of parking now in Marlins Park's adjoining garages and lots, but the complete lack of any public transit meant that for those of us from out of town there was nothing to do but stand in a long line waiting for cabs. Throw in the fact there is absolutely nothing of note in the surrounding neighborhood to kill time, and there you go.

I tried not to let my complete disdain for Jeffrey Loria and David Samson cloud my judgment. There are plenty of south Florida residents who got conned into paying for Marlins Park who can carry the mantle for that. But unfortunately, Marlins Park just left me feeling a little empty – no pun intended.

25. Chase Field, Phoenix

Opened: 1998

Photos

I made my trek to Arizona in July 2004. Which, I’m guessing, probably isn’t the ideal time of year to be hanging out in the desert. But we certainly had our share of fun checking out the nightlife, and somehow managed not to die playing 18 holes at the TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course. When we got back to the resort afterward, jumping into the 93-degree water of the outdoor pool somehow seemed refreshing.

Which brings me to Chase Field, or, as it was called when we were there, the “BOB” (nee Bank One Ballpark). How cool is it (literally and figuratively) that there behind the right-center field fence sits an indoor swimming pool, where home runs can splash-land amongst the bikini-clad fans? Unfortunately, the park’s signature feature can be accessed only by the select few groups who pay to rent it out each game.

Guess it’s a good thing there is an enormous roof over the whole place.

From the outside, Chase Field looks more like a warehouse than a major league ballpark. But the worst part is that, once you get inside, the impression doesn’t really change all that much. The place is huge and much of the interior look is dark. I know the Diamondbacks don’t draw capacity crowds very often, because I can only imagine how many oxygen tanks it must take to get all the way to the top of the upper level. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen so many rows of seats that high up in any stadium, anywhere.

As with most of the modern stadiums, particularly the indoor ones, you certainly are comfortable. The concourses are plenty wide and, at least on the 100 level, open to the field all the way around, which is always a plus. But it’s essentially as you would expect watching a baseball game in a warehouse would be.

In hindsight, I’m not sure Chase Field deserves to be above Marlins Park in the rankings. However, the fact that the ballpark is located in the heart of downtown Phoenix is a plus that gives it the edge. We might not be saying the same if we didn’t have cars on this trip, since a cab ride to and from Scottsdale probably would be pricey and not very efficient. But there is plenty of parking in the surrounding area and at least some nearby spots to hit for a beverage or food before or after the game. It’s the little things that make the difference sometimes.

I would love to be able to give Chase Field a try with the roof open, but understand that is about as rare an occurrence as it is in Miami. So you can’t fault the D’backs for building such a huge covered stadium. There just wasn’t a whole lot cool about it.

Ranking in order:

Old Tiger Stadium

Wrigley Field

Fenway Park

Great American Ballpark - Cincy

PNC park - Pittsburgh

Comerica Park

Jacobs Field

Jack murphy Stadium

Candlestick Park

Oakland Coliseum 

Candlestick is overrated
Went to a Giants-Astros game at Candlestick in 1984.  In the summer, but at night, so it was long pants and jackets to the ballpark.  Three of us showed up right before first pitch without tickets, went to the box office, and bought three seats in the front row right by the Astros' bullpen catcher.  

Game details I kinda remember:

SFG was trying to make Mark Davis happen as a starting pitcher.  Gave up back-to-back-to-back home runs, and came close to a fourth but a rookie named Dan Gladden made a great jumping catch into the fence for the out.  

Between innings, a guy in a crab suit came out and started dancing to "New York, New York."  The 8000ish fans in attendance responded to the show by booing, swearing, and throwing garbage at the crab.  I like to think the crab was in on the joke, but I'm not sure.  

Our pleas to get a practice ball from the bullpen catcher went unanswered.  

Just discovered this thread.  Enjoying it a ton.

When I started compiling my list, I noticed how many retired/razed ballparks I've been to: Busch II, Fulton County in Atlanta, Candlestick, Metrodome, the old Arlington Stadium, County Stadium in Milwaukee, old Comiskey.   

24. (old) Busch Stadium II, St. Louis 

Opened: 1966

Last used: 2005

Demolished: 2005

Photos

It would have been nice to come back from vacation -- which, unfortunately (for this thread's purposes), consisted mostly of camping in the White Mountains and did not include any visits to new ballparks -- and hit you with one still in use for current MLB standards.

However, we still have one of the "cookie cutter" stadiums left on our list. I guess you have to call it "Busch Stadium II" because I never realized that Sportsman's Park also was known as Busch Stadium in its final years, before the multi-purpose concrete bowl was built downtown in the 1960s. Which also means that a lot of the "really cool" Cardinals history -- Stan the Man, Rogers Hornsby, the Gashouse Gang, Enos Slaughter -- took place somewhere else.

One of the most memorable parts of this stadium visit for me is that it is the trip that almost caused me to miss my parents' 50th anniversary. For whatever reason, when we were planning the trip the bookend dates stayed fresh in my mind and it never triggered that the anniversary date fell right in the middle of it. To this day my mom claims that it wouldn't have been a big deal -- she knows how important the annual trip is with the boys -- but I knew better. So I pulled an all-nighter to make sure I made my flight out bright and early Saturday morning and was back home in time for the festivities.

In the end, I missed one game. I'm not sure it would have mattered, but the two games I did attend didn't exactly leave much of an impression. Did I mention it was a "cookie cutter"? You seen one, well ... you know the rest.

The good news is that the NFL's Cardinals had long since left town, and even though the Rams had moved in by this point, they had taken up residence in the dome down the street. So they had done the best they could to make Busch II feel like a comfortable baseball-only stadium. Grass replaced the AstroTurf that helped much such speedsters out of Vince Coleman and Willie McGee back in the '80s. No longer did the lower bowl have to be configured in such a way to be converted for football on fall Sundays.

But there is only so much you can do with a concrete bowl with little view of the area outside. Which is too bad, because one of the things that puts Busch II ahead of many of the others I visited is that it was right in the heart of downtown. The arches cut into the top of the stadium was a nice touch, but it would have been better to see more than just a peek of a "real thing" off in the distance on the banks of the Mississippi. Bonus points could be given for having the International Bowling Hall of Fame right next door, but alas, that has since been relocated to Arlington, Texas.

Fortunately, we were there in the latter days of McGwire-mania, right after the All-Star break in his final season. He hit 21 of his 29 dingers during the second half of that season, including one off the Tigers' Jeff Weaver in the first of the two games I saw. However, I did miss the "historic" one he belted off Jose Lima in Saturday's game -- historic in that McGwire passed Reggie Jackson on the all-time list, because watching Jose Lima give up a bomb wasn't exactly a rare occurrence.

That said, McGwire's presence meant that "Big Mac Land" was one of the most recognizable features of the stadium, which I guess still is true to this day in the new place, for whatever reason. Cardinals fans probably were just as awesome as they claim to be, but I haven't been to many places where I can say I ever was treated even remotely close to rudely. These fans are loyal and do mostly wear red, which would be pretty cool if they weren't put completely to shame by the Calgary Flames' "C of Red". But I digress.

I also try not to make a big deal of concessions at the stadiums or, even more importantly, beer. But when that means Bud, Bud Light and Busch, and more of it? Pass. 

St. Louis is one of three MLB cities (Atlanta, NY Mets) where I've been to an old park and not the current one. I hope to get back there some day to see how much better it is with a modern stadium. I do think it is pretty cool how the new park shares some of the same footprint of old Busch, so much so that they actually had to wait to knock the old place down before they finished up the new one in a matter of a few months. There's something to be said for a new ballpark right in the heart of downtown with a view of the skyline and surroundings.

And, of course, I have to see if the fans still are as nice as they say they are.

Busch II was the only true cookie cutter, multi-sport stadium I was in and it was a dump. New park isn't much better, I find it plain and boring, but they have done a great job of creating the neighborhood around it.

Only game I attended there was Game 6 of the '82 World Series. Multiple rain delays, consisting of multiple hours, combined with 50 degree temps and a blowout game meant we didn't stay for the whole thing. Living in Chicago, it was close enough to drive to and drive back for the game. It was a Tuesday night and my dad intended to work the next day and have me at school.  However, the weather up I55 was bad all night and we had to stop and stay at some Holiday Inn Holidome, which in 1982, was a cooler experience than the ballpark.

Busch II was the only true cookie cutter, multi-sport stadium I was in and it was a dump. New park isn't much better, I find it plain and boring, but they have done a great job of creating the neighborhood around it.

Only game I attended there was Game 6 of the '82 World Series. Multiple rain delays, consisting of multiple hours, combined with 50 degree temps and a blowout game meant we didn't stay for the whole thing. Living in Chicago, it was close enough to drive to and drive back for the game. It was a Tuesday night and my dad intended to work the next day and have me at school.  However, the weather up I55 was bad all night and we had to stop and stay at some Holiday Inn Holidome, which in 1982, was a cooler experience than the ballpark.
The John Stuper game.  He broke my heart.

I went to last game at Sportsman's Park and first game at Busch II in 1966 - an interesting note - after the last game vs the Giants, the Cardinals traded Ray Sadecki to the Giants for Orlando Cepeda. A pretty good trade for the El Birdo's.

https://youtu.be/ZArYa5lEIcQ

23 Globe Life Park, Arlington, Texas

Opened: 1994

Photos

When we trekked deep into the heart (and heat) of Texas two years ago, one of my friends who wasn’t on the trip remarked that he believed the Rangers ballpark was one of the most underrated in baseball.

I just don’t see it.

After all, if a stadium that is barely 20 years old already seems to be fated to the wrecking ball within the next few, how great can it really be?

Don’t get me wrong … we’ve already reached the part of the rankings where we can find more good about where we’re watching a game than bad. And Globe Life was fortunate enough to be built in the early-mid ‘90s, just in time for the beginning of the new era of retro ballparks. Placed in 90 percent of other MLB markets, it would be a perfectly acceptable place and probably rank a few ticks higher on my list.

But it’s tough to escape the fact that they’ve already voted to begin building yet another new ballpark next door, perhaps as soon as 2020. This will be the third different park on this expansive piece of land, not including the ridiculously imposing “JerryWorld” next door. (Side note: One of my friends made a back-door deal for us to tour the Cowboys’ stadium when we were in town. Except apparently no one realized there would be about 50,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses in the place holding some kind of annual rally/convention. We still squeezed in the tour – including the cheerleaders’ locker room -- but weren’t allowed to go on the field or in the seating area. Side note 2: Jehovah’s Witnesses aren’t quite as chipper when you show up on them unannounced. Side note 3: Apologies to any Jehovah’s Witnesses here who might read this.)

Anyway …

The new place is expected to have a retractable roof and air conditioning, the better to handle the ridiculous Texas heat in the summer months. It remains to be seen whether that will be an improvement or not – after all, Miami and Phoenix already are lower on my rankings, while (spoiler alert!) Houston will be showing up in this space fairly soon.

A little AC would have been nice during our visit. We were there for two games, one of which inexplicably was a Saturday matinee. I was under the impression the Rangers didn’t play any home games during the day between January and December, but somehow there we were under the scorching sun on the last weekend of June. Did I mention AC? Fortunately we found the bar located out in left-center, and it’s nice to have friends with corporate credit cards. The mixed drinks flowed nicely that day while we watched the game on flat-screen TVs. But what’s the point of being at the game, really?

Beyond that, I’m struggling to remember one standout feature of the place, nice and modern as it is. The huge section of overhang seats in right field was kind of neat, but I’m not a big fan of the imposing four levels of offices way out beyond center field that give the park an unnecessary feeling of being totally enclosed. At least give us a view of someone flying off a roller coaster at Six Flags, or whatever sits in that direction off in the distance.

Which brings me to another gripe about Globe Life: It’s surrounded by a whole lot of nothing. Oh sure, there are ample parking lots, which I’m sure are pretty cool during football season as Cowboys fans fire up the smokers and brag about how they’re not going to accomplish anything of real significance for the 21st consecutive season. But when you’re from out of town and don’t have a car, then what?

We did stay at one of the nearby hotels, and they had a trolley service that shuttled you to the park and perhaps to the rare handful of drinking spots located too far away from Globe Life to be of much use. However, in my experience, finding the right mode of transportation back was an adventure. Just don’t do as I did and decide to walk back … I think I realized the folly of it when I still was trying to find my way across the highway nearly an hour later, and a cop happened by and asked if I needed help/was OK. I waved him off and kept going, heat stroke be damned.

Did I mention they’re already planning to build a new, retractable roof stadium soon? At least it’s already outlasted Turner Field in Atlanta, but fare thee well, Globe Life Park. We hardly knew ye.

22. Miller Park, Milwaukee

Opened: 2001

Photos

One of the things you always hear about Milwaukee is how it is such a short, easy drive up the lake shore from Chicago.

Nothing quite drives that point home than going to a Brewers game when the Cubs are in town – especially in a season when the Cubbies are on a quest to win their first World Series in 108 years.

I regret not taking the same opportunity myself when my group was in Chicago in 2000, in what ended up being the final season of County Stadium. (Instead, one of my buddies and I decided to take in a Bears preseason game at Soldier Field, before it became whatever the hell it is now.) Miller Park opened the next season, joining the list of major league ballparks with a retractable roof (this one to keep out the Wisconsin cold and rain/snow, rather than the heat), and I got to witness the full roof experience during our weekend in Milwaukee in July 2016.

Unfortunately, another thing I missed out on was what I understand is a pretty cool tailgating scene outside the park. You just don’t see something like this on the MLB level, and it’s one of my favorite things to experience in the handful of college football stadiums I have visited. But our group chose to forgo having cars on the trip – we had heard they like to drink beer in Milwaukee, so we decided to play it safe.

One would think the fact that Miller Park is located outside the downtown area would be a major black mark in my rankings, as it has been for some of the other parks I already have critiqued. But one thing we quickly learned is that most of the bars downtown have shuttles right to the outside of the ballpark, with beer available on board. (Have I mentioned people in Milwaukee like to drink? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen people drink more, and that includes pretty much everyone who was behind the bars of any place we went – some of whom had no problem pouring themselves a shot whenever we ordered a round and downing them right along with us. Multiple times, I might add. That’s not even legal in a lot of cities. It was impressive.) Even better, though they tell you to make sure to jump on the right shuttle on the way out, you can pretty much take one for another of the bars downtown and wind up back where you started, and no one cares.

OK, but we’re here to talk about ballparks. And once again, this one just leaves a little something to be desired.

Walk up to the outside gates, past the statues of Hank Aaron and Robin Yount, and the brick façade gives you the nice, intimate feel of the modern-day retro park. But look upward a bit and it’s impossible to miss the fan-shaped, two-section roof. It’s quite a striking contrast.

Once inside, you don’t quite get the same “warehouse” feeling as Chase Field in Phoenix, but you still can’t shake the fact that you’re in an indoor stadium, even when the roof is open. Fortunately, we had the open air Friday night, and for a brief period Saturday. But then the rains came, and it was pretty cool to watch the roof close in about 10 minutes and not a single pitch be missed while it was pouring outside.

Bernie Brewer’s slide is amusing, though it seems like it probably worked a lot better at County Stadium when he slid into a “barrel of beer.” I would have loved to venture up to a Uecker seat, even though, once again, it wouldn’t have been the same experience as the old ballpark. The sausage race still is better than the presidents, or pierogis, or any of the myriad imitators it has spawned across baseball.

Oh right, did I mention the Cubs were in town? Good thing Miller Park has spacious concourses, like most new parks, because I don’t know if I have ever seen concession lines like this in my life. It didn’t matter when you got up for a brat, or a beer, or whatever. There were people everywhere, at every booth, and since we were in the upper deck they all were wearing Bryant and Rizzo jerseys. I hope that some of them weren’t still waiting in line when the Cubs finally won it all three months later.

I kind of wish we had gone when a different team was in town, because I feel the Brewers have pretty good baseball fans and it would have been nice to see the atmosphere without them being drowned out by the interlopers. I also feel like those same fans deserve a little more than what Miller Park has to offer, but all in all, it will do.

I should compile my list of stadiums.  Not that any of you care, but it will be fun for me.  

I finally got to Fenway Sunday.  The last of my bucket list sports venues.  I have to say I wasn't disappointed.  Great atmosphere, fantastic neighborhood, engaged fans.  It was great. Chris Young hit a couple of homers over the Monster, including one that was reminiscent of Fisk in '75. Our seats were just to the first-base side of home so we had a perfect angle on it.

I have to chuckle, the PA announcer was astonishingly bad and obviously very old.  He fumbled several pre-game announcements and mispronounced a couple of names on the White Sox (which he later corrected the next time they batted). I am sure the guy is a treasured institution for the Red Sox fans--he's probably been doing it since Ted Williams played--but he was so bad it was jarring.   Think Grandpa Simpson with a Boston accent.  Also Sweet Caroline is terrible.  I know it means something even more after the marathon bombings but that's a weird song to be a stadium sing-along. 

I don't mean to dwell on the negative, since it was a great experience overall.  I would like to go back even though I checked the bucket list box.  

I should compile my list of stadiums.  Not that any of you care, but it will be fun for me.  

I finally got to Fenway Sunday.  The last of my bucket list sports venues.  I have to say I wasn't disappointed.  Great atmosphere, fantastic neighborhood, engaged fans.  It was great. Chris Young hit a couple of homers over the Monster, including one that was reminiscent of Fisk in '75. Our seats were just to the first-base side of home so we had a perfect angle on it.

I have to chuckle, the PA announcer was astonishingly bad and obviously very old.  He fumbled several pre-game announcements and mispronounced a couple of names on the White Sox (which he later corrected the next time they batted). I am sure the guy is a treasured institution for the Red Sox fans--he's probably been doing it since Ted Williams played--but he was so bad it was jarring.   Think Grandpa Simpson with a Boston accent.  Also Sweet Caroline is terrible.  I know it means something even more after the marathon bombings but that's a weird song to be a stadium sing-along. 

I don't mean to dwell on the negative, since it was a great experience overall.  I would like to go back even though I checked the bucket list box.  
Actually, the Fenway PA announcer situation is relatively new within the last few years. I couldn't even tell you who it would have been Sunday -- they use a couple of different ones now, including a longtime local radio/TV guy (**** Flavin) and a longtime Boston TV sports icon (Bob Lobel). I'm guessing it was Flavin, based on your description. Definitely late 70s.

When I was a kid they had a longtime announcer named Sherm Feller who was very basic, solid voice. He died sometime in the '90s and they replaced him for one season with Leslie Sterling, who was one of the first female PA announcers in MLB history, For the better part of a decade they had another radio guy named Carl Beane, who also was solid in the Feller mold. He died suddenly a few years ago and they replaced him with the group they have now.

Would definitely look forward to your list of stadiums. As much as I started this thread to chronicle my travels, I want to hear what others think as well. Sometimes you miss things when you only get to see a particular park for only a game or two.

And don't get me started on Sweet Caroline.

I grew up 4 miles from County Stadium and still have family in Milwaukee.  I've been to Miller Park 4 or 5 times, once in the upper deck and the rest on the 200 level.  The roof has been open on every visit.  I still think it should have been built downtown but I understand the dynamics that determined its location.

Since it has the same parking lot as County Stadium, the atmosphere outside the park is very similar.  Inside the gates seems kind of generic to me.  The sightlines are good although the time I was in the upper deck, I remember the section was pretty steep.

The dome forces some architectural compromises.  The old park overlooked a parking lot and the Harnischfeger factory so it's not like there's much in the way of panoramic vistas but those are further obstructed at Miller Park by the supporting ring for the dome and a glass paneled wall.  This also seems to affect the acoustics but I can't put my finger on it.

The brats are good and everybody seems to be having a good time, especially if the team is winning.  But the park is nothing special.

Actually, the Fenway PA announcer situation is relatively new within the last few years. I couldn't even tell you who it would have been Sunday -- they use a couple of different ones now, including a longtime local radio/TV guy (**** Flavin) and a longtime Boston TV sports icon (Bob Lobel). I'm guessing it was Flavin, based on your description. Definitely late 70s.

When I was a kid they had a longtime announcer named Sherm Feller who was very basic, solid voice. He died sometime in the '90s and they replaced him for one season with Leslie Sterling, who was one of the first female PA announcers in MLB history, For the better part of a decade they had another radio guy named Carl Beane, who also was solid in the Feller mold. He died suddenly a few years ago and they replaced him with the group they have now.

Would definitely look forward to your list of stadiums. As much as I started this thread to chronicle my travels, I want to hear what others think as well. Sometimes you miss things when you only get to see a particular park for only a game or two.

And don't get me started on Sweet Caroline.
Ok then, here is my list:

Busch II-My last trip there I got two foul balls in one game. 

Busch III-Nice

Wrigley- I have been there a dozen or so times and I have frozen every single time. The coldest park I've ever encountered.

Old Comiskey-Very Cool, terrible sight lines.

US Cellular-Bad

Old Arlington-Bad

Globe Life-Hot

Astrodome-A complete disaster by the end

Minute Maid-Contrived quirkiness

Chase-Great Food

Old Yankee-Disappointing

Kaufman-Very nice for it's age

Fulton County-Terrible

Joe Robbie-Completely empty.  I walked up and scalped tickets in the 4th row behind home (less than face value).

Tropicana-Underrated

Metrodome-Awful

Fenway-As good as advertised

Users who are viewing this thread