What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MNF...tougher to watch needing points or having the lead? (1 Viewer)

Baloney Sandwich

Footballguy
I'm heading into watching the game tonight and I'm done with players while my opponent has 3 playing this evening. I have an okay lead but I would say it is 50-50 in terms of who ends up winning. Faced with an equal chance of winning, would you rather have the lead and hope to hang on or be behind and need your players to score? Is one more stressful than the other?

The worst part of fantasy football is rooting against your opponents players.

Don't throw it to VJax. Don't throw it to VJax.... DAMMIT! F'ING VJAX!

The worst part of fantasy football is rooting against your opponents players.

Don't throw it to VJax. Don't throw it to VJax.... DAMMIT! F'ING VJAX!
Agreed, and for some reason, it always feels like that one specific player is the entire focus of the offense.

I think being ahead by a so-so lead, with noone playing, is more stressful personally...
Agreed - at least when you are behind (but have a reasonable shot) there is excitement for the entire game. When you are ahead and your opponents players start closing the gap it feels so helpless.

I think being ahead by a so-so lead, with noone playing, is more stressful personally...
Agreed - at least when you are behind (but have a reasonable shot) there is excitement for the entire game. When you are ahead and your opponents players start closing the gap it feels so helpless.
This. I think rooting "for" players feels naturally more active (and is more "natural" in a sense) than rooting against players - especially if you want the team to do well:

"Throw a touchdown pass...throw a touchdown pass....YEAH!!! Touchdown! NO!!!! Not to HIM!!!!"

Definitely tougher watching your opponent cut into your lead and there's nothing you can do about it.

I don't like either option. Would rather win or get blown out by Sunday Night. If you are behind, you find yourself stressing that it's halftime and your guys aren't on the pace they need to overcome your opponent. (Stress) If you are ahead, you are groaning whenever the ref stops the clock. Either way, if you don't have a rooting interest in the team, you are not really enjoying the game. Whenever I'm in those situations, I go to bed early and wake up to find out if I won or not. It's worked out for me so far.

I guess Im in the minority.

I view it like this:

Points are never in the bank until they are in the bank, so I'd rather know that my opponent needs to get some real work done to win. And even when things look bad at the start of a game, if you need points, anything can happen like a little injury and your night is over.

...as I am sure Mike James owners can tell you.

I think it is a lot more fun when you have players going on MNF trying to grab the win. It seems like the psychology in these cases if you lose are a lot better than when you lose trying to hold off a lead. Those can be crushing, whereas a comeback falling short seem a little easier to take.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread