What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mocking it up (1 Viewer)

JMon348

Footballguy
1-Texans-Reggie Bush,RB

2-Titans*-Matt Lineart,QB

3-Saints*-D'Brickshaw Ferguson,OT

4-Jets-Mario Williams,DE

5-Packers-AJ Hawk,LB

6-49ers-Michael Huff,DB

7-Raiders-Vince Young,QB

8-Bills-Vernon Davis,TE

9-Lions-Winston Justice,OT

10-Cardinals-Jay Cutler,QB

11-Rams-Jimmy Willams,DB

12-Browns-Hgala Ngata,DT

13-Ravens-Lendale White,RB

14-Eagles-Tamba Hali,LB

15-Falcons-DeAngelo Williams,RB

16-Dolphins-Jonathan Scott,OT

17-Vikings-Ernie Sims,LB

18-Cowboys-Manny Lawson,LB

19-Chargers-Chad Jackson,WR

20-Cheifs-Santonio Holmes,WR

21-Pats-Chad Greenway,LB

22-Broncos-Demeco Ryans,LB

23-Bucs-Marcus McNeil,OT

24-Bengals-Broderick Bunkley,DT

25-Giants-Max Jean Giles,OG

26-Bears-Charles Spencer,OG

27-Panthers-Rodrique Wright,DT

28-Jaguars-Tye Hill,CB

29-Broncos-Marcedes Lewis,TE

30-Colts-Lawrence Maroney,RB

31-Seahawks-Mathias Kiwanuka,DE

32-Steelers-Nick Mangold,C

what u guys think

Surprise.....

The Titans won't be moving up in this draft. They have too many holes and have a too valuable pick

1-Texans-Reggie Bush,RB

2-Titans*-Matt Leinart,QB

3-Saints*-D'Brickashaw Ferguson,OT

4-Jets-Mario Williams,DE

5-Packers-AJ Hawk,LB

6-49ers-Michael Huff,DB

7-Raiders-Vince Young,QB

8-Bills-Vernon Davis,TE

9-Lions-Winston Justice,OT

11-Rams-Jimmy Willams,DB

12-Browns-Haloti Ngata,DT

13-Ravens-Lendale White,RB

14-Eagles-Tamba Hali,LB

15-Falcons-DeAngelo Williams,RB

16-Dolphins-Jonathan Scott,OT

17-Vikings-Ernie Sims,LB

20-Cheifs-Santonio Holmes,WR

21-Pats-Chad Greenway,LB

22-Broncos-Demeco Ryans,LB

23-Bucs-Marcus McNeill,OT

24-Bengals-Brodrick Bunkley,DT

25-Giants-Max Jean-Gilles,OG

28-Jaguars-Tye Hill,CB

30-Colts-Laurence Maroney,RB

31-Seahawks-Mathias Kiwanuka,DE

Fixed the spelling. We need to get Leinart right, at least. :D Sorry. :bag:

I don't like the trade at the top. Texans move down before the Saints. NO seems fairly smitten with the two top QBs and will get one of them. Trading down is out if they covet Leinart. Possible, I suppose if they think they still get Young.

The Browns would be thrilled to get Ngata. Literally said they'd punch his card if he fell to them. They don't think it will happen and either do I. I'll be shocked if Denny takes a QB in the first round. He has Warner signed for three more years, and who knows if they'll lose McCown. Even if they do, I think he goes another way. Hali went to the Eagles in our collaborative LIVE mock. It's a pick I would try harder to change if I could. Kearse, Cole, DE not the biggest need there and better talent available. I cannot imagine Bunkley going so late after the way he finished the season and then performed in the post season. He's a freak at DT, a very hot commodity right now.

It all that seems too critical, man, I really like where you thought out of the box in other places. So no offense. Nice job. No one knows for sure.

1-Texans-Reggie Bush,RB

2-Titans*-Matt Lineart,QB - Will not be trading up.

3-Saints*-D'Brickshaw Ferguson,OT - Wayne Gandy going into his 13th year.... locking up two blue chip tackles for the next dozen years would be awesome (Jammal Brown).

4-Jets-Mario Williams,DE - Richard Seymour of the Jets.

5-Packers-AJ Hawk,LB

6-49ers-Michael Huff,DB

7-Raiders-Vince Young,QB

8-Bills-Vernon Davis,TE - lots of other needs, but who cares, BPA! This is why the Bills don't win Super Bowls, but who can boo Vernon Davis to the Bills?

9-Lions-Winston Justice,OT - They tagged Jeff Backus. They won't be drafting a Tackle.... they have a brand new defensive scheme to install and they need the personnel. Expect them to go Defense.

11-Rams-Jimmy Willams,DB

12-Browns-Hgala Ngata,DT

13-Ravens-Lendale White,RB - JAMAL LEWIS IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

14-Eagles-Tamba Hali,LB - The Eagles need a DT who can shoot the gap, not a DE. Brodrick Bunkley would be a much better pick, or Jesse Mahelona in the 2nd round.

15-Falcons-DeAngelo Williams,RB - Best pick ever.

16-Dolphins-Jonathan Scott,OT - They just cut half of their secondary, and they don't have anyone to replace them. Seems like they'd want an OLB or DB here....

17-Vikings-Ernie Sims,LB

20-Cheifs-Santonio Holmes,WR - The last thing the Chiefs need is another midgit WR. Trent Green throws all those interceptions because he either throws to his WRs which are as tall as the DBs or is throwing to his only non-midgit WR in Tony Gonzalez who's under quadruple coverage.

21-Pats-Chad Greenway,LB

22-Broncos-Demeco Ryans,LB - The Broncos have the best LB corps in the NFL. And all of them are at the top of their game. Gold, Wilson, DJ Williams. They need a DL in front of them that can take some responsibility away so they can really be let loose on the field.

23-Bucs-Marcus McNeil,OT - I'm a Bucs fan, and I can tell you they are not taking a 340 lb tackle with injury problems to cover Simms' blindside in the first round.

24-Bengals-Broderick Bunkley,DT

25-Giants-Max Jean Giles,OG - Just like the Bucs pick, the last thing the Giants need is a fat, slow sack of crap with a questionable motor to protect their $54M QB. I like the idea of going for OL though, since this defense simply isn't salvagable through the draft. They'll need to rely mostly on free agency (Arrington, Madison, perhaps Peterson as well).

28-Jaguars-Tye Hill,CB

30-Colts-Lawrence Maroney,RB - Colts won't pick an RB in the first round even if Jim Sorgi is listed as the starting tailback by the time the draft rolls around. Like I've said before and will continue to say... if the Colts wanted another Edge, they'd have locked up the original already. They want to move to a more power-running game. Maroney is not that runner by any means.

31-Seahawks-Mathias Kiwanuka,DE - Love the pick.

Surprise.....

The Titans won't be moving up in this draft. They have too many holes and have a too valuable pick
I disagree ..with two coaches from USC ( Fisher & Chow), and Leinhart/Bush sitting at the top two spots, Tenn will definitely try to move up to snag one of them, IMO..Chris Brown sucks, so Bush is an attractive option...McNair is falling to pieces, and Volek is a career backup, nothing more, so they need that franchise QB..

I don't see them taking Young. if they do take a QB it is Leinhart, b/c Chow has already worked with him..

yes, the Titans could use Brick, they need lineman for sure..but, they need that franchise QB much more! you can get linemen in free agency to fill in the holes.plus, they pick 3rd every round! they can draft plenty of o-linemen if they want to ..

but I don't see any way they pass on Leinhart or Bush, even if it means trading up to acquire one of them.

Surprise.....

I disagree ..with two coaches from USC ( Fisher & Chow), and Leinhart/Bush sitting at the top two spots, Tenn will definitely try to move up to snag one of them, IMO..Chris Brown sucks, so Bush is an attractive option...McNair is falling to pieces, and Volek is a career backup, nothing more, so they need that franchise QB..

I don't see them taking Young. if they do take a QB it is Leinhart, b/c Chow has already worked with him..

yes, the Titans could use Brick, they need lineman for sure..but, they need that franchise QB much more! you can get linemen in free agency to fill in the holes.plus, they pick 3rd every round! they can draft plenty of o-linemen if they want to ..

but I don't see any way they pass on Leinhart or Bush, even if it means trading up to acquire one of them.
Bush does not suck...Fisher going to USC has nothing to do with whether they will draft a guy from there. Nor does Chow having run the offense there. Floyd Reese makes the decisions...not Jeff Fisher...and after last year certainly not Norm Chow.They are much higher on Cutler than even Leinhart.

Brown does not suck...nor do they think he does. They did however restructure Henry's deal so that RB is probably out of the question. They will not take Brick. They let go Hopkins to move Roos to LT and will use the younger Jacob Bell at RT. They do not "need lineman" for sure.

Yes, I see plenty of ways they pass on Leinart or Bush.

If Tennessee is trading...knowing what Reese has done in the past it will be to trade down.

I believe Minnesota should trade their #17 pick and Onterrio Smith to the Texans for their #1 pick.

Edited: :thumbup: I think this is good value for the Vikings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Minnesota should trade their #17 pick and Onterrio Smith to the Texans for their #1 pick.

Good lord if that was even possible it should be done as soon as possible. And sooner than that, if possible.

I bet if they threw in a nice baked ham it would happen.

I bet if they threw in a nice baked ham it would happen.
Only if it were honey glazed.
Sorry, been playing a lot of Madden 2006 - franchise mode lately. :bag:
Playing online is better..... well if the server doesn't f up :rant: Also, VD going to the niners. I think huff going 6th is tooo high.

I wonder if McKinnie and #17 would be enough for them to even consider it.
That would be un-smart of the Vikings.
Is McKinnie that good? I know, coming into the draft the year he came into the NFL, he was supposed to be God-like, but I thought he'd not been "all that".

Is McKinnie that good? I know, coming into the draft the year he came into the NFL, he was supposed to be God-like, but I thought he'd not been "all that".
He was really starting to get "it" at the end of the year and looks to be the guy that they expected when they drafted him.

Surprise.....

They pick 7th in the second round and have no third round pick (wasted on Henry)This is part of the reason why they will not trade up

I am hoping the Cowboys trade down and take Chad Jackson late in the first or early second if he is there.

Surprise.....

I think the Titans somehow end up with Leinhart, somehow, someway they will end up with him. I really dont think Young will be picked my Tennesse if not Leinhart they go Brick or trade down

Surprise.....

I think the Titans somehow end up with Leinhart, somehow, someway they will end up with him. I really dont think Young will be picked my Tennesse if not Leinhart they go Brick or trade down
they will not go brick...see above...

Everyone seems convinced the Chargers will take the best WR on the board. Although San Diego may not have a jaw-dropping player at this position, it is perhaps the deepest position on their roster. Is there anybody in this draft that is unquestionably a premier #1 WR? If not, I don't see them going this way.

Vernon Davis to the Bills would be a nice pick, now if they could only get a QB.
Gates did wonders for Brees.
Very true. I don't feel that JP Losman is the QB that they've envisioned, and would like to see them take a QB in the draft. Not likely to happen, but you never know. I had to throw in that QB slam for my best friend who lurks here and is a HUGE Bills fan. :bye: :lmao:

Surprise.....

Yes they will. Just because "nygiants56" uses some faulty logic to deduce that the Titans have to take their franchise QB this year doesn't mean that it's set in stone.I mean, not to blast the guy, but the first four words of his post indicates he didn't properly comprehend the post he replied to. He misspells Leinart and his response is loaded with several typos.

Not that it should, but it does really hurt his ethos from the get-go.

If the Titans need a franchise QB more than a franchise LT, why did they release their franchise LT of late and re-sign their franchise QB of late. They re-signed McNair and got Volek back. Not to mention McNair did make the Pro Bowl last year....

Also, you can get a good QB in FA, but it is much harder to get a good left tackle. This year, Kevin Shaffer is really the only decent option at LT, and I'm penciling him to the Bucs as soon as FA starts. Him or Kenyatta Walker, who is probably an average starter at best right now (maybe a change of scenery will do him some good).

They pick 3rd in the 1st and 2nd round. They traded their 3rd round pick for Travis Henry. There is an exceedingly small chance that they will be able to find any startable linemen on Day 2.

Chris Brown also does not suck at all. He put up 1170 total yards and 7TDs in 14 games while playing through injuries (ankle mostly I believe, don't quote me on it). If anything, he's just got durability concerns, which is the reason they traded for Travis Henry. It wasn't so they could draft Reggie Bush.

Just the year before, in only 11 games he broke 100 rushing yards 6 times (and 100 total yards 7 times). In four games that he failed to break 100 yards, it was because he had 15 or fewer rushing attempts, and still averaged 4.4 ypc. He was on pace for 1500 rushing yards and 9 TDs and another 200 receiving.

Explain to me how this equates to him earning the label "suck". If anything, he's just been unlucky like Domanick Davis to run behind an OL that is not good enough to block for him (wonder why McNair and Henry and Brown all have been playing through injuries?)

All of the evidence presented in that post doesn't support the Titans trading up for Leinart, but staying where they are and drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Please analyze things before accepting them as fact. That's how rumors get started (Troy Williamson to Houston anyone?)

Everyone seems convinced the Chargers will take the best WR on the board. Although San Diego may not have a jaw-dropping player at this position, it is perhaps the deepest position on their roster. Is there anybody in this draft that is unquestionably a premier #1 WR? If not, I don't see them going this way.
What is being factored in at this point is that the Chargers will sign at least one safety and one OL. If they don't then they most likely will have to use the pick on need (SS, LT) rather than want. The WR position is fine at the moment, but McCardell doesn't have much time left and Vincent Jackson isn't proven. Worst case scenario in getting Chad Jackson is that they end up with one solid WR for the future between Vincent and Chad. It's also a good time to take a WR since he won't be forced into action right away. Chad Jackson has all the tools you look for in a #1 WR and I think Holmes and Moss are complementary WR's who will need be the #2. They would both work in SD's offense with Gates as the #1, but they won't last too far into the 2nd round - if at all.

Vernon Davis to the Bills would be a nice pick, now if they could only get a QB.
I don't care how good the guy is, the Bills need so much help along both lines that they would be foolish to take a TE. The Bills seemed like they liked Kevin Everett before he blew out his knee during mini-camp. My gut is that they will probably sign a mediocre FA veteran at the TE position and hope that Everett can be a good receiving TE for them. The WRs for the Bills aren't anything special, but between Evans, Parrish, Aiken and a vet FA like Joe Jurevicious, I think the Bills would be good enough for passing targets. Their needs at DT and along the entire OL are just so overwhelming I can't imagine them not taking one of them.

What is being factored in at this point is that the Chargers will sign at least one safety and one OL. If they don't then they most likely will have to use the pick on need (SS, LT) rather than want. The WR position is fine at the moment, but McCardell doesn't have much time left and Vincent Jackson isn't proven. Worst case scenario in getting Chad Jackson is that they end up with one solid WR for the future between Vincent and Chad. It's also a good time to take a WR since he won't be forced into action right away.

Chad Jackson has all the tools you look for in a #1 WR and I think Holmes and Moss are complementary WR's who will need be the #2. They would both work in SD's offense with Gates as the #1, but they won't last too far into the 2nd round - if at all.
If we are operating under the principle that the Chargers will be in a position where they have no needs, then this makes compete sense. I hope that's the case, but A.J. hasn't been all that big of a mover in the free agency market. Even if he goes against what has been his normal MO and grabs a starter at OT and S, the Chargers still need at least one CB with a decent head underneath his helmet. Granted, if the right WR is there at 19 but he'd have to reach for the next CB, he better take the WR, but that's all conjecture.

What is being factored in at this point is that the Chargers will sign at least one safety and one OL. If they don't then they most likely will have to use the pick on need (SS, LT) rather than want. The WR position is fine at the moment, but McCardell doesn't have much time left and Vincent Jackson isn't proven. Worst case scenario in getting Chad Jackson is that they end up with one solid WR for the future between Vincent and Chad. It's also a good time to take a WR since he won't be forced into action right away.

Chad Jackson has all the tools you look for in a #1 WR and I think Holmes and Moss are complementary WR's who will need be the #2. They would both work in SD's offense with Gates as the #1, but they won't last too far into the 2nd round - if at all.
If we are operating under the principle that the Chargers will be in a position where they have no needs, then this makes compete sense. I hope that's the case, but A.J. hasn't been all that big of a mover in the free agency market. Even if he goes against what has been his normal MO and grabs a starter at OT and S, the Chargers still need at least one CB with a decent head underneath his helmet. Granted, if the right WR is there at 19 but he'd have to reach for the next CB, he better take the WR, but that's all conjecture.
I have a lot of faith in A.J. so I'll just assume he's trying to get the right players for the right amount of money and will hope that he doesn't blow the opportunity. There are so many good free agent safeties that I'll be pissed if the Chargers don't get one and instead go safety with the 1st pick. Simpson is no Huff and the Chargers don't seem that great at developing young players in the secondary. I'll even be fine with taking OL with the 1st pick as long as safety is taken care of in free agency. CB isn't a huge concern to me since I think Jammer is coming along and will be good enough if he has a good safety helping out.

I have a lot of faith in A.J. so I'll just assume he's trying to get the right players for the right amount of money and will hope that he doesn't blow the opportunity. There are so many good free agent safeties that I'll be pissed if the Chargers don't get one and instead go safety with the 1st pick. Simpson is no Huff and the Chargers don't seem that great at developing young players in the secondary.

I'll even be fine with taking OL with the 1st pick as long as safety is taken care of in free agency. CB isn't a huge concern to me since I think Jammer is coming along and will be good enough if he has a good safety helping out.
I share your enthusiasm for A.J. He has shown that he won't overspend for free agents, and I appreciate that. His draft moves have all been pretty shrewd, in my estimation. Where would the Chargers be now if they had just picked up John Butler's assistant instead of Butler himself?

Surprise.....

Yes they will. Just because "nygiants56" uses some faulty logic to deduce that the Titans have to take their franchise QB this year doesn't mean that it's set in stone.I mean, not to blast the guy, but the first four words of his post indicates he didn't properly comprehend the post he replied to. He misspells Leinart and his response is loaded with several typos.

Not that it should, but it does really hurt his ethos from the get-go.

If the Titans need a franchise QB more than a franchise LT, why did they release their franchise LT of late and re-sign their franchise QB of late. They re-signed McNair and got Volek back. Not to mention McNair did make the Pro Bowl last year....

Also, you can get a good QB in FA, but it is much harder to get a good left tackle. This year, Kevin Shaffer is really the only decent option at LT, and I'm penciling him to the Bucs as soon as FA starts. Him or Kenyatta Walker, who is probably an average starter at best right now (maybe a change of scenery will do him some good).

They pick 3rd in the 1st and 2nd round. They traded their 3rd round pick for Travis Henry. There is an exceedingly small chance that they will be able to find any startable linemen on Day 2.

Chris Brown also does not suck at all. He put up 1170 total yards and 7TDs in 14 games while playing through injuries (ankle mostly I believe, don't quote me on it). If anything, he's just got durability concerns, which is the reason they traded for Travis Henry. It wasn't so they could draft Reggie Bush.

Just the year before, in only 11 games he broke 100 rushing yards 6 times (and 100 total yards 7 times). In four games that he failed to break 100 yards, it was because he had 15 or fewer rushing attempts, and still averaged 4.4 ypc. He was on pace for 1500 rushing yards and 9 TDs and another 200 receiving.

Explain to me how this equates to him earning the label "suck". If anything, he's just been unlucky like Domanick Davis to run behind an OL that is not good enough to block for him (wonder why McNair and Henry and Brown all have been playing through injuries?)

All of the evidence presented in that post doesn't support the Titans trading up for Leinart, but staying where they are and drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Please analyze things before accepting them as fact. That's how rumors get started (Troy Williamson to Houston anyone?)
You might be mistaking much of what I said with others. I do not having them moving up...but I am saying they will not draft D'Brick.They are moving last years draft pick Michael Roos to LT to replace Hopkins (who was let go for cap reasons as well as to make room for the rookie. Jacob Bell, another youngster will play RT.

So please actually read what I have said, rather than assuming something...

You might be mistaking much of what I said with others.  I do not having them moving up...but I am saying they will not draft D'Brick.

They are moving last years draft pick Michael Roos to LT to replace Hopkins (who was let go for cap reasons as well as to make room for the rookie.  Jacob Bell, another youngster will play RT.

When you agree with faulty logic, you assume the same title. Yes, I am fully aware that you did not make those comments. If I went through the trouble to break down his fallacious reasoning, why would you presume I didn't read it?Why couldn't you have said this before? This is a much more solid argument than the one you quoted (which wasn't really solid at all).

Do you think Bell is really a RT? He is about 30 lbs under weight IMO. Roos pulled it off last year because he is a beast and he's a very, very athletic and strong 315. Bell is much better suited to play Guard, and at that, he's a solid backup at this point, with the versatility to play Tackle if worse comes to worst. He is NOT someone I would trust anchoring my strong side.

At that, add D'Brickashaw Ferguson in at LT, and keep Michael Roos at RT, and you've got your ever crucial Tackles locked up for the next decade.

For the sake of argument though, let's say that the Bush, Leinart go 1, 2 respectively. The Titans, because they feel as you said, do not want D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and are not high on Vince Young like everyone and their mother suggests.

Who would trade up to No.3, and why? It would need to be someone who wanted to leapfrog NYJ for some reason, so either someone who wanted to draft Jay Cutler, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, or perhaps even Mario Williams.

The Titans could very well take Jay Cutler.

I suppose if I am drafting and using your logic (not saying it's right, but they are very good points. I just disagree with you):

1) Jay Cutler

2) Mario Williams

3) Michael Huff

I don't know. It just seems like Ferguson makes the most sense to me.

I'd like to get some good Titan homer feedback...

Last edited:
You might be mistaking much of what I said with others. I do not having them moving up...but I am saying they will not draft D'Brick.

They are moving last years draft pick Michael Roos to LT to replace Hopkins (who was let go for cap reasons as well as to make room for the rookie. Jacob Bell, another youngster will play RT.

When you agree with faulty logic, you assume the same title. Yes, I am fully aware that you did not make those comments. If I went through the trouble to break down his fallacious reasoning, why would you presume I didn't read it?Why couldn't you have said this before? This is a much more solid argument than the one you quoted (which wasn't really solid at all).

Do you think Bell is really a RT? He is about 30 lbs under weight IMO. Roos pulled it off last year because he is a beast and he's a very, very athletic and strong 315. Bell is much better suited to play Guard, and at that, he's a solid backup at this point, with the versatility to play Tackle if worse comes to worst. He is NOT someone I would trust anchoring my strong side.

At that, add D'Brickashaw Ferguson in at LT, and keep Michael Roos at RT, and you've got your ever crucial Tackles locked up for the next decade.

For the sake of argument though, let's say that the Bush, Leinart go 1, 2 respectively. The Titans, because they feel as you said, do not want D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and are not high on Vince Young like everyone and their mother suggests.

Who would trade up to No.3, and why? It would need to be someone who wanted to leapfrog NYJ for some reason, so either someone who wanted to draft Jay Cutler, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, or perhaps even Mario Williams.

The Titans could very well take Jay Cutler.

I suppose if I am drafting and using your logic (not saying it's right, but they are very good points. I just disagree with you):

1) Jay Cutler

2) Mario Williams

3) Michael Huff

I don't know. It just seems like Ferguson makes the most sense to me.

I'd like to get some good Titan homer feedback...
When did I agree with anything...by see above...I meant see my posts on the matter where I discussed this. What I presumed is you did not read what I have posted...otherwise you would not be making these rather incorrect assumptions about my logic or theories on this matter.The post I quoted was done so for me to say that they will not draft Brick...its that simple. Maybe you have trouble with simple concepts like that.

Do I think Bell with be an RT...yes...then again, instead of listening to you on the subject I decided to listen to the words that came straight out of Floyd Reese's mouth.

Sorry if I am taking the word of people who actually work with the franchise over some internet cowboy who now thinks he is an NFL talent scout.

Also pretty telling that he was Roos' backup at RT...

To me Ferguson makes the least amount of sense because of the confidence they have in Roos.

And yes...they are as high on Young as many have been saying...but probably more so with Cutler.

Do I think Bell with be an RT...yes...I decided to listen to the words that came straight out of Floyd Reese's mouth. 

To me Ferguson makes the least amount of sense because of the confidence they have in Roos.

And yes...they are as high on Young as many have been saying...but probably more so with Cutler.
*edited for clarity.I don't care if you would like to disagree with me, but refrain from the personal attacks, as they contribute nothing to the debate.

I will make you an avatar bet for a year that Jacob Bell is not their starting RT in 2006 or ever unless there are are substantial injuries on the OL that force him into the lineup. He is built to play Guard at the NFL level.

Find me a stong side tackle in the NFL that is under 300 lbs that isn't terrible. The RT (almost always the strong side, except if you have a left-handed QB) is much more of a run-blocker than a pass-blocker, because he usually has the TE helping him. That's why the premiere ends in the league are on the weak side, and that's why the premier tackles in the league are on the left side, hence why people talk about "Franchise Tackles" they refer to guys like Walter Jones and Orlando Pace rather than guys like Jon Runyan or Todd Steussie.

Whereas Guards are generally 300lb run-blockers, RTs are usually more around the 320-340lb range. They need to be bigger than guards because they are going up against more athletic competition, and need that extra push. But since they have a Y covering them most of the time, they can get away with being bigger and slower.

The problem with putting a 295 lb guy at RT (as you are suggesting, which I very highly doubt Floyd Reese ever said beyond motivational speaking for the guy) is that you pretty much mandate that Y receiver is going to help double up in blocking.

That gives your offense a 10 on 11 nearly every single play of every single game.

Now, why would Norm Chow run his offense like that? He never has before, what makes you think he would want to now?

I suppose Floyd Reese can say whatever he wants, but he isn't going to say who's starting at RT.

I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a link to corroborate what you claim, but I'm not calling you a liar by any means. I simply believe you misinterpreted what he said. Denny Green is notorious for talking up players, and it doesn't ever mean what he says is going to happen (case in point: McCown, Arrington).

Here is a good link to read with some worthwhile numbers (keep in mind it is about 2 weeks old and the cap has just been rased about $11M:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:O5jIj...us&ct=clnk&cd=6

As for Young, I don't believe that a QB whose weaknesses play almost hand in hand with the strengths of an offense is likely to be picked. Just because Chow is accomodating McNair right now doesn't mean he is going to completely change the offensive philosophy that has won him years and years of success.

Last edited:
Do I think Bell with be an RT...yes...I decided to listen to the words that came straight out of Floyd Reese's mouth.

*edited for clarity.I don't care if you would like to disagree with me, but refrain from the personal attacks, as they contribute nothing to the debate.

I will make you an avatar bet for a year that Jacob Bell is not their starting RT in 2006 or ever unless there are are substantial injuries on the OL that force him into the lineup. He is built to play Guard at the NFL level.

Find me a stong side tackle in the NFL that is under 300 lbs that isn't terrible. The RT (almost always the strong side, except if you have a left-handed QB) is much more of a run-blocker than a pass-blocker, because he usually has the TE helping him. That's why the premiere ends in the league are on the weak side, and that's why the premier tackles in the league are on the left side, hence why people talk about "Franchise Tackles" they refer to guys like Walter Jones and Orlando Pace rather than guys like Jon Runyan or Todd Steussie.

Whereas Guards are generally 300lb run-blockers, RTs are usually more around the 320-340lb range. They need to be bigger than guards because they are going up against more athletic competition, and need that extra push. But since they have a Y covering them most of the time, they can get away with being bigger and slower.

The problem with putting a 295 lb guy at RT (as you are suggesting, which I very highly doubt Floyd Reese ever said beyond motivational speaking for the guy) is that you pretty much mandate that Y receiver is going to help double up in blocking.

That gives your offense a 10 on 11 nearly every single play of every single game.

Now, why would Norm Chow run his offense like that? He never has before, what makes you think he would want to now?

I suppose Floyd Reese can say whatever he wants, but he isn't going to say who's starting at RT.

I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a link to corroborate what you claim, but I'm not calling you a liar by any means. I simply believe you misinterpreted what he said. Denny Green is notorious for talking up players, and it doesn't ever mean what he says is going to happen (case in point: McCown, Arrington).

Here is a good link to read with some worthwhile numbers (keep in mind it is about 2 weeks old and the cap has just been rased about $11M:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:O5jIj...us&ct=clnk&cd=6

As for Young, I don't believe that a QB whose weaknesses play almost hand in hand with the strengths of an offense is likely to be picked. Just because Chow is accomodating McNair right now doesn't mean he is going to completely change the offensive philosophy that has won him years and years of success.
Call it a personal attack if you want...it was certainly not meant as one. And you will not find Reese's comments on the internet...unless you find radio webcasts from a week ago. He does Friday afternoons on a local sports talk. The same talk that John McClain of the Houston Chronicle aslo agreed with about Roos and Bell.For your last paragraph...I think you are putting too much faith in Chow having more power than he really does. Fisher calls the shots as far as what the team runs for the most part. Chow has brought some of his brand of things there...but make no mistake that it is still run through Fisher's philosophy.

As far as the line and sizes...it is not a universal thing. Depends on the philosophy of the team. If you are looking at a team like the Packers...you are right...they want the bigger Tackles and more athletic Guards because they pull alot.

Tennessee figures to be the opposite. Do not pull as much...have bigger guards...Olson and Piller are 6-4 320 and 6-5 315 respectively. Meanwhile...Hopkins the outgoing LT was 6-3 295. Bell is 6-4 295.

And I will take any avatar bet you want on Bell at this point.

And you are also assuming he will continue to play at 295. There are plenty of guys right around the 300 mark playing RT in the NFL.

Again, I will take McClain's and Reese's word on this over you any day.

I am not saying it would happen, I just think that it would take something along those lines to move from #17 to #1. If I were the Texans GM, that would be an offer that would have me thinking.

For your last paragraph...I think you are putting too much faith in Chow having more power than he really does. Fisher calls the shots as far as what the team runs for the most part. Chow has brought some of his brand of things there...but make no mistake that it is still run through Fisher's philosophy.

Tennessee figures to be the opposite. Do not pull as much...have bigger guards...Olson and Piller are 6-4 320 and 6-5 315 respectively. Meanwhile...Hopkins the outgoing LT was 6-3 295. Bell is 6-4 295.

And you are also assuming he will continue to play at 295. There are plenty of guys right around the 300 mark playing RT in the NFL.
*edited for clarityjust for the purposes of debate, let's assume that LT always plays the weakside and RT always plays the strong side.

I'll stick to logic, which holds true much more often than the cookie-cutter politics of radio talk shows. I understand what you are talking about in the weekly radio interview. Bruce Allen does that every Wednesday afternoon (I think, don't listen to it usually) for WDAE 620AM. He talks a lot about guys like Edell Shepherd and Blue Adams, the obscure young players that we haven't seen much of. Naturally, he's going to talk positively about them, but it doesn't mean that you should say "yeah this is what's going to happen."

No one in their right mind would catapult a marginally athletic and undersized tackle to their strong side.

But even if Bell were the best tackle in football at 295, he would not play RT. that Hopkins was 295 and Bell is 295 is unrelated. Hopkins played LT. RT is a different animal.

On that side, it's a different set of skills. Like I said, find me some guys playing T on the strong side that are 295-300 that don't completely suck and I'll give you a :thumbup: . It is never a 'goal' of any team to have a 300 lb tackle paving the way for your rushing attack.

Unlike the LT, where you just have to hold the DE most of the time, the RT has to move the DE out of the way handily, because he's only got a split second before his RB hits the hole that needs to be there. That's where the extra baggage comes in.

Teams that run a lot more love to have big fat OL (unless it's a zone-blocking scheme), because when you run the ball, you are in attack mode, and when you block, you're in defend mode. Look at the Ravens' or Steelers' OL... biggest OL in football.

Most teams like an all around line, which is why they have a more athletic left side and a bigger, stronger but slightly less mobile strongside. In pass coverage, TEs sometimes help out for RTs because they don't have the reactionary speed to block the better pass-rushing ends.

But just know this: a team NEVER wants to have to play max protect every play. That's like trench warfare. Putting a 295 (or 300lb tackle or even 305lb tackle if he bulks up some... probably 300 would be likely) tackle on the right side pretty much guarantees you are going to relegate a TE to block in every passing down. That's bad bad bad.

For what it's worth, you have convinced me that the Titans probably won't draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Until reading up on Roos more, didn't know they really saw him as a LT. At that, they need a big RT, and they can get a good one in Ryan O'Callaghan or Andrew Whitworth in the 2nd round.

But I don't think we need to debate the Titans OTs any more... we'll just agree to disagree. But I would be very careful about taking to heart what a GM says in passing about a young backup guard playing RT next year.

Seems to me that Leinart or Cutler will be there pick at No.3.... whomever the Saints pass on.

Seems to me that Leinart or Cutler will be there pick at No.3.... whomever the Saints pass on.
Agree...if they draft there. I still see a strong possibility that Reese trades down to get more picks. I bet he sort of wishes he could have done the same last year...just did not get any serious takers. I think their 3rd pick is a bit more valueable this year though.

Users who are viewing this thread