What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Momo challenge (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
It is amazing how this hoax spread across the country in practically one day. My son came home from school and that's all they were talking about. Then I take him to baseball practice and all the kids are talking about it too. 

Wife freaked out about it yesterday.  I told her it’s dumb and nothing to worry about.  Glad I can tell her it’s fake too

My daughter's high school sent us an email about this yesterday.

It really is a catch 22 because if the school doesn't say anything about it and a kid gets hurt, then parents will be up in arms.

On the other hand, my daughter came home today and told us that a lot of the kids are getting involved in this and it is all they are talking about. So the email basically just drew attention to this thing and now the kids ARE going to do it.  

Last edited by a moderator:

It really is a catch 22 because if the school doesn't say anything about it and a kid gets hurt, then parents will be up in arms.

On the other hand, my daughter came home today and told us that a lot of the kids are getting involved in this and it is all they are talking about. So the email basically just drew attention to this thing and now the kids ARE going to do it.  
Yup. The only actual danger is all of the attention it's given to self harm and suicide by social media/media, freaked out schools/police departments, etc. It took something that is a fake threat and made it into a threat by talking about it so much.

My daughter's school sent out a panicky email about how this was a dangerous threat and that their web filters were picking up lots of searches about it at school and warned parents. I actually replied to the email linking them to an article about how it's a hoax and the real danger is all the attention it's getting. I did it in a nice way and thanked them for trying to do their best to keep the kids safe, but sheesh.

Facebook moms
I'm 30 and I got friends who are moms with young kids already it was apparently targeting freaking out about it. I was listening to a podcast on something totally different but the guy was advertising some patron content and this was gonna be talked about and how it was just another hoax to brainwash the mashes and get them scared over nothing 

I'm 30 and I got friends who are moms with young kids already it was apparently targeting freaking out about it. I was listening to a podcast on something totally different but the guy was advertising some patron content and this was gonna be talked about and how it was just another hoax to brainwash the mashes and get them scared over nothing 
My man, throw a punctuation in there. You're in your thirties.

This flair up comes on the heels of alleged suicide instructions found within YouTube Kids videos (I don’t know if that has been proved to be true or a hoax yet, have just seen articles mentioning it).  I’d assume that helped it regain traction 

No big deal...back in the day we had the HEYMOE! challenge....where you'd poke your friends in the eyes, hit them over the head with your first, grab their noses, yank hair out of their head and drop shovels, sledge hammers and hammers on their heads....we turned out CHICKENFORK!

Yep.  Same here.  Ridiculous that this came back up, but I guess there will always be new FB moms to target and scare every year.

This flair up comes on the heels of alleged suicide instructions found within YouTube Kids videos (I don’t know if that has been proved to be true or a hoax yet, have just seen articles mentioning it).  I’d assume that helped it regain traction 
There has been no evidence so far that such a video existed. And the claim was specifically that the Momo Challenge was embedded/hidden in the YouTube videos.

It's possible that such videos may have been created now in regular YouTube by trolls in response to all the hubbub, but there is zero real evidence that it existed previously.

ETA: I do think it's been a great reminder/wake-up to parents of the dangers of just handing off technology to their kids. There actually have been cases of some pretty messed up fake versions of kids cartoons being on YouTube or even slipping into YouTube Kids. Stuff like fake Peppa Pig videos where Peppa gets maimed by a dentist or ground into meat or whatever. If you're just handing off devices to a kid without doing any monitoring, you're probably making a mistake. Those websites aren't able to monitor everything and stuff will inevitably slip through.

You just have to read up on the YouTube pedophilia issue to realize how much messed up stuff is out there and how difficult it is to police.

Last year my 3 year old spent a total of 22 nights in various hospitals.  He's fine now, thank God (and we'll have a confirmation followup this coming Monday).  Having a 3 year old in a hospital bed for that long, especially when hooked up to a lumbar drain (look it up) it's easy to deal with, on anyone.  To make it a bit easier on all involved, we became very familiar with youtube and youtube kids videos and specific channels.  He fell in love with watching channels of other kids playing with toys (which in a way was a bit heartbreaking given his situation at the time).  While 99% of the videos geared towards kids are just fine, there are those on the fringe.  If ever caught, those making these types of videos should have the severest punishments possible placed on them.  My child had bad dreams about a paw patrol episode where one of the pups turned into a "werepuppy" in a Halloween episode, so I couldn't imagine what some of these videos would have done to him.  Just having that momo face show up in any video would have devastated him, much less any of the apparent "instructions for self harm" stuff that was mentioned. 

So you're telling me I took my kids' phones away, locked them in their rooms, and cut electricity to the house for nothing?

Thanks, Facebook!  :censored:

That one guy said:
They are the same thing. The suicide instructions is the momo challenge.

Last year my 3 year old spent a total of 22 nights in various hospitals.  He's fine now, thank God (and we'll have a confirmation followup this coming Monday).  Having a 3 year old in a hospital bed for that long, especially when hooked up to a lumbar drain (look it up) it's easy to deal with, on anyone.  To make it a bit easier on all involved, we became very familiar with youtube and youtube kids videos and specific channels.  He fell in love with watching channels of other kids playing with toys (which in a way was a bit heartbreaking given his situation at the time).  While 99% of the videos geared towards kids are just fine, there are those on the fringe.  If ever caught, those making these types of videos should have the severest punishments possible placed on them.  My child had bad dreams about a paw patrol episode where one of the pups turned into a "werepuppy" in a Halloween episode, so I couldn't imagine what some of these videos would have done to him.  Just having that momo face show up in any video would have devastated him, much less any of the apparent "instructions for self harm" stuff that was mentioned. 
My 9 year old son has been a youtube obsessed kid since the age of 4. The first time he ever heard of the momo challenge was yesterday when kids in school were talking about it. Hes never seen it in a video.

Got this forwarded to me from a middle school friend yesterday - message from a "concerned" parent:

Hello Teachers and Principals,

You may have heard about the dangerous game on the internet.  Gwyneth and I have talked to and warned our children Mitchell and Meaghan about it. Meaghan has already mentioned to us that the kids on the school bus are talking about it. Please see the enclosed news story below.https://www.foxnews.com/tech/momo-suicide-challenge-sparks-fear-among-parents  We are concerned for all the kids.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks,
How do stop this hysteria with kids when it's the parents that keep stirring it up.

That one guy said:
Yup.  There's always that one guy...

Users who are viewing this thread