What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

-Monday Night Football- **Broncos at Bills** (-7.5, 47) 8:15 (1 Viewer)

Honestly the Bills should fire McDermott. His teams consistently play sloppy and they beat themselves repeatedly. Their playoff hopes are basically over and any thought of a Super Bowl is a joke. Time to move on and try something else. Good coaches are hard to come by so that will likely fail as well, but they just can’t keep doing this and hoping for better results.
They may still win the division on the last week of the season, as Miami can't beat good teams. And they're still way better than any of the current 5 loss teams. Very good chance they make the playoffs. Denver beat KC and played them tough in a closs loss.

Peak 2023 Broncos loss into Peak 2023 Buffalo Bills loss. AMAZING. Broncos back in the hunt.

#LETRUSSCOOK
Even the Chargers are embarrassed by that one.

I'd be pissed about a High School team doing something so stupid. Rather have 7 guys out there than even risk 12.

Somewhat glossed over I think, but I think Buffalo has really missed Leslie Frazier.

Peak 2023 Broncos loss into Peak 2023 Buffalo Bills loss. AMAZING. Broncos back in the hunt.

#LETRUSSCOOK
Even the Chargers are embarrassed by that one.

I'd be pissed about a High School team doing something so stupid. Rather have 7 guys out there than even risk 12.

Somewhat glossed over I think, but I think Buffalo has really missed Leslie Frazier.
You know what’s worse? They called 2 timeouts right before that. They could have run their FG team out there 2 plays earlier knowing that Denver was just kneeling the ball anyway. They 100% knew that this exact scenario of the fire drill FG attempt was what Denver was doing and yet still managed to be 100% unprepared. That is an epic coaching failure. This team failed in every way possible tonight. They are a bad team. Period.

I actually like the Bills but McDermott has to go. To be 5-5 with that talent is a joke. He got out coached tonight
Hell, Shane Steichen is 5-5, with a team that has been playing a backup QB almost all year and was picking in the top-5.
Fantasy aside, to make an example of Cook and bench him after the fumble was a joke. He didn’t bench Gabe Davis after he let one go through his hands and caused an INT. Or Murray for dropping an easy pass in the flat. Or Allen for throwing picks. I hate when coaches do this. Not like Cook has a fumbling issue. Well before tonight anyway. That was his first fumble of the year.

I cannot even believe they did that. Absolutely no need at all to do that and it almost cost them the game.
1. I would not want Josh Allen to have the ball with 20 seconds and only needing about 30 yards to possibly win the game.
2. Had that been a dead ball, I'm positive the Bills wouldn't have had 12 men on the field. He might have missed that first FG even if it wasn't a fire drill. Rushing that play helped them win

By the way, the EXACT same scenario happened in the 2009 Grey Cup. (CFL championship).

One team missed the FG with no time left, but the defense had too many men on the field (13 in Canada) and they kicked it again and won.

It's been like 15 years and that still hangs with them. This will hang with Buffalo for a really long time.

From the Athletic.

An impressively bad way to lose

I’m not sure eight hours is long enough to process how dumb of a football game we watched last night. Let’s be clear: The Broncos’ 24-22 win over the Bills was quite entertaining. But was it good football? Absolutely not. Let’s just look at the final sequence:

Down one, Russell Wilson drove the Broncos into Bills territory but faced 3rd-and-10 from the Buffalo 45. Incomplete pass, but a defensive pass interference call moved the ball up 28 yards. Game over, right?

With the ball near chip-shot range, Wilson took three straight knees to set up one of the most stressful field goal attempts you’ll see. With no timeout, Denver rushed the kicking unit onto the field, lined up and saw Will Lutz miss a 41-yarder wide right. Game over!

Wrong. The Bills, caught up in the hysteria of the Broncos’ dysfunction, had 12 men on the field. After a five-yard penalty, Lutz nailed a 36-yard game-winner.

Denver is 4-5 after a three-game winning streak, but the focus will be on Buffalo today. A Super Bowl contender is now just 5-5, a team full of injuries and miscues. The Bills had four turnovers last night, each one more baffling than the previous.

We all just sort of assumed such a talented roster would figure it out after scuffling through the early season, but now a .500 team faces the Eagles, Chiefs and Cowboys in three of its next four games. Lose those three, and the season is probably lost.

1. I would not want Josh Allen to have the ball with 20 seconds and only needing about 30 yards to possibly win the game.
2. Had that been a dead ball, I'm positive the Bills wouldn't have had 12 men on the field. He might have missed that first FG even if it wasn't a fire drill. Rushing that play helped them win
Agree about not wanting to give Josh Allen and Tyler Bass a chance. But didn't BUF get practice with the mad rush FG earlier in the game? Maybe they had a ST injury that caused confusion.

If DEN had kicked the FG on 3rd down with 24 secs left, BUF would've had 20 secs and 40 yards to go with no TOs, a longshot, but a chance. In hindsight, Payton would've been criticized if not for the 12 men on the field penalty.

Dumb running the emergency kick rather than kicking on third. Bailed out by a boneheaded 12 men on the field.
This is what we would've been talking about if it hadn't been for Buffalo gifting Denver a redo. The premise, in & of it itself suggests that what makes the most sense is to set up your kicker as best as possible. Once he nails the game-winner THEN you can worry about the Bills having the ball with 20sec or so & no timeouts. But consider also that this was northern climes, later in the season, late at night. Often, no doubt, a ball fresh out of the toaster. Whether they managed that rushed as they were, I don't know. But the air crisper, more moisture & throughout the game, the ball mishandled by both teams. Denver's snapper &/or placeholder, having botched two previous attempts!

Then there's this pertaining to Buffalo:

"Absolutely, absolutely," Bills coach Sean McDermott said when asked ... "We practiced that two or three times this week -- the substitution from dime to field goal block. At the end of the day, we didn't execute it. So, it's inexcusable." ... "You got to make sure we're locked in, everyone knows what's going on. I mean, we practiced it." [linebacker and special teams captain Tyler Matakevich said.] ... defensive end Leonard Floyd was the only player on the field for the missed kick but not on the field for the winning kick. Matakevich said that the Bills knew the Broncos were going to kick quickly, and that the substitutes for the field goal block unit were on the sideline ready to go."
Someone mentioned that the Bills should've already had their FG block unit out there. Perhaps they shouldn't have even bothered to swap out personnel? Both the HC & ST captain quoted as saying the team had practiced this very scenario & the players, not rushed, along the sideline waiting. I don't think I've ever seen a play where both teams, just bizarro of epic proportion! "Unbelievable, how did it happen!?" lol

Rushing a FG versus freezing the kicker with TOs. I don't think it makes a difference.
Peyton saw Allen chucking the ball down field in 20 seconds for FG. Never seen a late FG attempt done like that. The fear was real and it almost cost him the game.

By the way, the EXACT same scenario happened in the 2009 Grey Cup. (CFL championship).

One team missed the FG with no time left, but the defense had too many men on the field (13 in Canada) and they kicked it again and won.

It's been like 15 years and that still hangs with them. This will hang with Buffalo for a really long time.
Man watching the CFL is a trip. One of my best friends sons (Jackson Jeffcoat) is a stud for the Blue Bombers. Jackson won two back to back Grey cups and played in his third, so I watched a lot more of it lately than I ever had before.

Agree about not wanting to give Josh Allen and Tyler Bass a chance. But didn't BUF get practice with the mad rush FG earlier in the game? Maybe they had a ST injury that caused confusion.

If DEN had kicked the FG on 3rd down with 24 secs left, BUF would've had 20 secs and 40 yards to go with no TOs, a longshot, but a chance. In hindsight, Payton would've been criticized if not for the 12 men on the field penalty.
Well he might have very well missed that like he did (he had quite a while to set up and focus and get planted for his kick), and Allen then would have just had to kneel.

Dorsey Fired
That will help prevent Allen from throwing into triple coverage, I'm sure.
I mean, maybe?

Buffalo’s offensive scheme has been totally broken. It was boring, predictable, and did absolutely nothing to help Allen diagnose pre-snap and did nothing to scheme guys open. Nothing was ever easy in this offense. It 100% relied on Josh Allen doing superhuman things all the time and then also told him not to run anymore.

When the offensive structure is broken and totally reliant on the QB to do absolutely everything, it shouldn’t be a shock when that QB tries to force stuff too often. Or in other words, when you rely on your QB to play hero ball for the offense to work, you can’t be surprised when hero ball goes wrong at times.

And honestly, some of the turnovers have just been really bad decisions/throws. But the turnover numbers aren’t totally fair to Allen this year either. He went into last night tied for first in turnovers, but he was just 15th in turnover worthy plays.

If you don’t believe me on the scheme stuff, check out some of the stuff coming from Dan Orlovsky today. He has pretty good info:

Link 1
Link 2

Dorsey Fired
That will help prevent Allen from throwing into triple coverage, I'm sure.
I mean, maybe?

Buffalo’s offensive scheme has been totally broken. It was boring, predictable, and did absolutely nothing to help Allen diagnose pre-snap and did nothing to scheme guys open. Nothing was ever easy in this offense. It 100% relied on Josh Allen doing superhuman things all the time and then also told him not to run anymore.

When the offensive structure is broken and totally reliant on the QB to do absolutely everything, it shouldn’t be a shock when that QB tries to force stuff too often. Or in other words, when you rely on your QB to play hero ball for the offense to work, you can’t be surprised when hero ball goes wrong at times.

And honestly, some of the turnovers have just been really bad decisions/throws. But the turnover numbers aren’t totally fair to Allen this year either. He went into last night tied for first in turnovers, but he was just 15th in turnover worthy plays.

If you don’t believe me on the scheme stuff, check out some of the stuff coming from Dan Orlovsky today. He has pretty good info:

Link 1
Link 2
For sure worth trying something different.

Users who are viewing this thread